Elle Blake

When is it enough???

29 posts in this topic

I have a regular, that works on call almost everyday .  He has some very precise requests, that involve me running a errand.  Then a couple of other thing that are unusual....dress code mostly.  He will book.  I will start to get ready, run to store for pantyhose...  and he cancels.  A LOT!   Is it wrong for me to ask for 50% upfront at time of booking???? Ratio of follow through vs. cancellation is 30:70.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

Elle

XOXO

Personally, I think that is fair especially because it happens a lot and you have to account for time to prep etc. 

I do not think it is unreasonable at all knowing that you have an excellent reputation and that you are doing this part time. Be prepared that he may not like that since he is one of your regulars but even regulars may overstep the boundaries.  Besides since he cancels more often than not are you really losing anything?

9 hours ago, Elle Blake said:

I have a regular, that works on call almost everyday .  He has some very precise requests, that involve me running a errand.  Then a couple of other thing that are unusual....dress code mostly.  He will book.  I will start to get ready, run to store for pantyhose...  and he cancels.  A LOT!   Is it wrong for me to ask for 50% upfront at time of booking???? Ratio of follow through vs. cancellation is 30:70.

Elle

XOXO

You are a good provider to even accommodate this sort of request. 

If a regular canceled on me more than three times, I usually do not see them again.

If I do see them again it is a long time before I do.

Charge a cancelation fee as your time is money.

He needs to be respectful of your time. 

Well a 30/70 ration is pretty poor. I know that since he is a regular,  you know he is safe to be around. Which is a plus. A new first time guy,  poses a lot of security issues. I am in business and hate to lose a customer as much as you.   So maybe first discuss this with him. Obvious he likes you or he wouldn't keep calling.  Tell him the next time it happens, he can either pay the 50% or maybe start charging him more. Money usually talks.

Good morning. Cancelling on a regular basis because he has a job that requires him to be "on call" is understandable to a point. However, IMHO his apparent disregard of your time and efforts to honor his requests demonstrates a lack of respect for you on his part. In this case, I don't think you are wrong to ask for a deposit up front. Regular or not he should not only apologize but offer you a cancellation fee. He should readily accept that his cancelling causes you, financial harm and I am sure, a certain amount of mental and emotional stress as well each time he cancels.  The frustration of cancelling is surly felt by both of you. You patience is commendable. But you should not allow yourself to be readily dismissed time and again because he is "on call". Have a great day!

10 hours ago, Elle Blake said:

Elle

XOXO

Being on call makes it very difficult for a guy to make concrete plans.

With a 30/70 ratio of showing up vs. cancelling, it sounds like he is a "regular" canceller.  That coupled with the special requests (which takes you time to prepare for), I would suggest what Alex Majors suggested.

Talk to him.  Explain that you spend a lot of time preparing for him and he cancels 70% of time.  Explain to him that that time represents a loss of income that maybe you could have received if you had booked with another client.  Tell him that if he continues with a 70% cancellation rate, you will need to implement a cancellation rate for re-booking or an upfront non-refundable booking fee to reserve his time slot.

Maybe when the next time you two do meet, say to him "let's sit down and talk for a minute". and then gently try and explain to him that you are disappointed when he cancels on you as you look forward to seeing him. And then go further into how his 70% cancellation rate affects you.  Tell him that you want to continue meeting with him (I'm assuming you do).  If he is a standup guy, he'll understand where you are coming from.

Not just a deposit, I would charge cancelation fees as well.  Especially if you know out of every 10 appts he makes, he'll cancel 7 of them.  Flexibility is a good trait to have, but our time and schedules are important too.  That's lost income everytime.  

as someone who has been on call most of my life, I think it's incumbent on him to schedule when he's not on call.  30% is a crazy rate, and I can't imagine anyone I see would be ok with that - and neither would I.  

Obviously yours is the opinion that matters....

I am assuming that he only schedules for when he is going to be on call.  And that may be the only time he can get away. but a 70% cancellation rate is crazy and rude.

If he schedules when he is not on call, then he is very inconsiderate of a ladies time and not deserving a spending time with a lady.

LIfe happens and we all know that, but his cancellation percentage is not acceptable. 

8 hours ago, Phil-anderer said:

as someone who has been on call most of my life, I think it's incumbent on him to schedule when he's not on call.  

I thought this as well.

If he can't schedule, except when he is on call, you have to decide whether he's worth it. 

When is it enough? When *you* decide it is, to whatever degree. So set your boundary. It can be whatever you want it to be. Whatever makes you feel respected and protected. And if he doesn't like it, then he can go pound sand in someone else's sandbox.

On 11/30/2020 at 8:33 PM, Elle Blake said:

Elle

XOXO

If my regular plumber starts having a 30:70 ratio of arriving:not arriving  I find a new plumber. If they had a 70:30 ratio I'd still find a new plumber! Unless he makes it worth your while in ways you haven't explained I have to ask, why do you let him book?

We work on call as providers and I still never miss appts. Because I make them a priority, so not sure how believable it is. Even when on call you should still have some flexibility if you have an important appt. to make. Maybe he should only contact you when he knows he won’t get pulled away. And if he does I still feel likes responsible for the donation(at least 50%) because your time matters. 

On 11/30/2020 at 10:53 PM, coolhand luke said:

I do not think it is unreasonable at all knowing that you have an excellent reputation and that you are doing this part time. Be prepared that he may not like that since he is one of your regulars but even regulars may overstep the boundaries.  Besides since he cancels more often than not are you really losing anything?

Well it was enough!!  When I asked for promise to see payment have not heard from him since....  to 70:30 ratio I believe involved a 30:70 hand ...  you feel me???

Elle

XOXO

Hi Ellie!

I'm hoping you are doing great! Love you, Girl!!! (So does my wife)

My take on this is thus : He probably is married and his wife has no idea what's going on between the two of you.

If he cancels after you spent money trying to be attractive to him and then he happened to cancel not good.... One or two sessions, maybe give him a "pass"

More than that, sounds like trouble to me. You running and errand for him? Nope, not good. My advice would be to cut him loose... You should be a welcome guest. No strings attached.

I hope this helps!

You are always welcome in our home! 

2 hours ago, Elle Blake said:

Well it was enough!!  When I asked for promise to see payment have not heard from him since....  to 70:30 ratio I believe involved a 30:70 hand ...  you feel me???

I feel you pretty lady.

You did the right thing!

Elle

XOXO

If there is an established pattern of last minute cancelations, I would tell him that the next time he cancels on you with less than a 6 hour notice will be the last time you will schedule with him.  When I schedule,  it is a planned event and I WILL be there at the agreed upon time.  Do things happen?  Of course they do but for it to happen 7 out of 10 times is excessive and you need to stop scheduling with him.  

Elle

XOXO

I'd drop him,..unless he is compensating to make the agro worthwhile

Elle

XOXO

If I have clients who cancel a lot or no show, I ask for a deposit, and you would be surprised that  a a lot of people will pay it. My policy is that a  deposit will only be refunded if I am given enough notice so 2 hours or more notice. In all the times I have gotten deposits I have only refunded once, and only had one person who did not get their deposit back because they were a no show. So it has been a huge improvement for me.

On 12/10/2020 at 4:05 AM, Elle Blake said:

He showed his true colors, and you solved a nagging problem by kicking him to the curb. All in a day's work, lady. :)

I am gonna pick a different look, i didn't read alll responses, at this. 

You say you know he is mostly oncall, what that means depends on the type or importance of the job. So some times you may be sitting waiting for your meal and then boom the call comes in and you have to go. 

If he is a doc, then even if he is already going  down on you, the call comes means he's not gonna finish. 

I assume being a regular makes you guys understand each other. I expect you not to be mad if he cancels last minute but i also expect him to make it up for your effort and lost time. 

Or basically tell him you are an oncall person and you can only call me on your time off or never.

I've noticed many providers implementing a policy of charging a cancellation fee if a hobbyist cancels on them last minute (or within 2 hours) for an appointment.  I am 100% behind this practice because scheduling should be taken seriously and EVERY effort possible should be made to be on time for an agreed upon appointment.  My question though is what recourse do the hobbyists have when they are ones getting cancelled last minute?  Is the expectation the same?  Should there be a 50% credit towards the next appointment?  Over the last couple of weeks I have had 3 different providers who are pretty visible on the site cancel on me pithing an hour of the scheduled appointment time.  Just curious what the expectation should be in this sort of situation?  Looking for feedback, comments, suggestions...

15 hours ago, Bravo1 said:

I've noticed many providers implementing a policy of charging a cancellation fee if a hobbyist cancels on them last minute (or within 2 hours) for an appointment.  I am 100% behind this practice because scheduling should be taken seriously and EVERY effort possible should be made to be on time for an agreed upon appointment.  My question though is what recourse do the hobbyists have when they are ones getting cancelled last minute?  Is the expectation the same?  Should there be a 50% credit towards the next appointment?  Over the last couple of weeks I have had 3 different providers who are pretty visible on the site cancel on me pithing an hour of the scheduled appointment time.  Just curious what the expectation should be in this sort of situation?  Looking for feedback, comments, suggestions...

The expectation should be for you to take your business elsewhere. That is all. If you don’t like the way a business is ran, as the consumer  you have the option to choose a more efficiently run business. Especially if these are providers who you’ve seen before. Maybe it’s a hint? If they are providers who you haven’t seen before I might worry if your references are coming back positive, if it’s something your saying beforehand to put off the provider or if your picker just sucks? 👻 in the last 3 years I have canceled 2 appointments last minute. And because I actually cared to make it right with them, I did offer them an extra half hour to their Original booking time at no cost to them. Both men took me up on it and were very grateful. However, that is not a standard. It was a kindness extended to clients i whole heartedly wanted to return. 

On 12/26/2020 at 8:28 PM, Bravo1 said:

If I cancel on a client last minute, you bet I'm making up for it. I'll offer extra time or a discounted session when I reschedule, but it's important for me to make things right in some way. Its very rare that I need to cancel, but it does happen every once in a blue moon. I'm actually harder on myself if something happens on my end than I am with my clients...unless I think they're playing games. 

On 12/26/2020 at 8:28 PM, Bravo1 said:

Yes, you are right on. There have been 2 instances when I had a literal emergency ( rushing to a hospital), and yes I offered 50% discount on a reschedule. That’s only fair, considerate and reasonable. It’s not considerate to impede on someone’s time while disappointing their fantasy.

6 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

... It’s not considerate to impede on someone’s time while disappointing their fantasy.

^^ this ^^

On 12/1/2020 at 8:33 AM, Elle Blake said:

Elle

XOXO

It's not wrong but people afraid from scams that's why they won't give upfront in advance till they have someone on the door step