Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jasminewaterss7

It’s that time again..

33 posts in this topic

I’m embarrassed to be from Colorado and not know how to ski/snowboard. Can anyone recommend an instructor or just general advice? 

Also: ice skating. 

Find someone who knows how to ski and ask them if they will give you some pointers.

I bet you can find one of your clients that you really like and ask him to teach you. Strictly as friends.

Or go to one of the slopes and pay big bucks for an instructor.

10 hours ago, jasminewaterss7 said:

I’m embarrassed to be from Colorado and not know how to ski/snowboard.

welcome to the club.   except i'm not embarrassed about it

14 hours ago, jasminewaterss7 said:

I’m embarrassed to be from Colorado and not know how to ski/snowboard. Can anyone recommend an instructor or just general advice? 

As someone else suggested, go to a resort and take a first time skier group lesson. It isn't that costly and gets you going. Don't go for the first 2-3 times with someone who says they'll teach you. Even if said person claims to be an instructor. The group thing is a safe easy cheap way to get started and it helps seeing others at the same level as you.

It doesn't matter what resort. Don't assume the bigger resort is better. They all have capable programs and beginner programs are all pretty much the same. 

So Vista is a small resort just east of Granby. Good place to learn. Al trails lead back to base. Not as many folks as at the large ski areas. Rental s are less expensive. (No I have no financial interest.)

3 hours ago, pointymoustache said:

So Vista is a small resort just east of Granby. Good place to learn. Al trails lead back to base. Not as many folks as at the large ski areas. Rental s are less expensive. (No I have no financial interest.)

Saying "No you have no financial interest" gives the impression that you do...

19 hours ago, jasminewaterss7 said:

I rode consistently for 7 years and just started again last year after a 15 year hiatus. Never did take a lesson. I would recommend a smaller resort like Ski Cooper and do a 1 on 1 lesson. I've never skied so I don't know how easy or difficult it is to learn. If you try snowboarding, I suggest you go a few days in a row and stick with it. Make sure to get good boots. Only thing that sucks is traffic, avoid the weekends if you can.

Edited by Jakeryan

I can't believe that no one else who has seen Jasmine has jumped in here with this thought: I'll give you a lesson - or two!  PM me!

I tried the personal lesson approach with my ex wife (she was teaching me). Tried to get on the chair lift, fell off at the start and had to roll under the chair.

It's too bad nobody had a camera. Watching a fat guy pulling an Indiana Jones roll under the chair lift at exactly .0008 mph had to have been entertaining.

On a serious note though, I think learning in a group would probably be more effective than somebody wanting to grab your ass all day on the slopes.

Just saying.

Edited by Vassago

10 hours ago, oldguy47 said:

As someone else suggested, go to a resort and take a first time skier group lesson. It isn't that costly and gets you going. Don't go for the first 2-3 times with someone who says they'll teach you. Even if said person claims to be an instructor. The group thing is a safe easy cheap way to get started and it helps seeing others at the same level as you.

It doesn't matter what resort. Don't assume the bigger resort is better. They all have capable programs and beginner programs are all pretty much the same. 

I agree with this exactly. Go with group lessons in the beginning and as you get a little more adept, there’s nothing that beats a private lesson. Listening to friends who said they knew how to ski and would give me tips is how I picked up some terrible advice and bad habits. Go with the lesson route. Loveland is an underrated area and will save the hassle of going back and forth through the tunnel although you will still need to deal with I-70 quagmire. Go during the week instead of weekends or holidays and you will find fewer crowds.

On 11/16/2019 at 10:53 PM, jasminewaterss7 said:

My advice is to find a friend who knows the sport, and then hit the slopes or find a rink and have some fun!  Instructors are overrated.

When I first started skiing, I found that the little experience I had ice skating helped me tremendously.  The sports seem to have a lot in common when it comes to cutting, turning, stopping, etc.

Also, if you've ever skateboarded, it'll likely be pretty easy to transfer those skills to snowboarding. 

It took me a couple instances to.figure this out, but trying to teach someone with whom you have a relationship (friend, relative,  BF/GF, spouse) can be stressful, and potentially harmful to the relationship. 

2 hours ago, sb1212 said:

It took me a couple instances to.figure this out, but trying to teach someone with whom you have a relationship (friend, relative,  BF/GF, spouse) can be stressful, and potentially harmful to the relationship. 

Similar to trying to teach a GF how to drive a manual transmission. 

3 hours ago, sb1212 said:

I taught my ex-wife how to drive a manual transmission (that’s not why she is an ex),  some old girlfriends, my current wife and 2 sons to drive a manual transmission.

You just have to have a little patience.

On 11/17/2019 at 3:41 PM, Kaduk said:

Saying "No you have no financial interest" gives the impression that you do...

Used to have timeshare there,but sold it last year. My kids learned to ski there.

For a little background, I’ve raised 3 kids on skis and boards and they are now way better than I am.

People have great intentions, but it’s very easy to lose patience with a beginning skier when you’ve paid a bunch of money just to be on the slopes and end up only taking 4 beginner runs the entire day.

My 2 cents are to never start with a friend who promises to teach you.  I recommend going with a slope side school for your first lesson.  I’ve witnessed a lot of friendships teetering on the brink because of this.

Couple other things to think about:

- Skiing is easier to have early success and get to the middle level proficiency.   Boarding is harder to get started but easier to master after you get to the middle level.  

- Boarders spend a lot of time falling and sitting on their butts.

- Skis are easier to maneuver around the bottom and lift area especially when you’re beginning.

- Boards are easier to get up from when you fall

- Its important have an honest understanding of your general athletic ability.   If you’ve done a fair bit of sports, you’ll be able to progress more quickly.   This is important when you finish your first lesson and begin to think of what to do next.

I’m always open to help with any questions you have!   DM if you’d like. 

Happy trails!

PS.  Sol Vista is a perfect place to start!

On 11/16/2019 at 10:53 PM, jasminewaterss7 said:

I’m embarrassed to be from Colorado and not know how to ski/snowboard.

I feel ya!

I tried skiing once. I fell sooooo many times, and got so wet, and cold, I finally gave up. Never returned. 

Honestly, based on that single klutzy experience, I'm better off staying home. :)

I ski a lot.  I would DEFINITELY!!! recommend going to a smaller resort such as Copper or Vista and take a beginner lesson.  When I first started had a friend try to teach me.  DID NOT HAPPEN!.  Next took a group lesson for 2 x then on my way.  I would stay away from the big resorts such as Winter Park or Steamboat or Breckenridge. Ex;pensive and crowded.  Also would not start on Thanksgiving weekend either.  Your best bet is during the week day even if you decided to go to a bigger resort.  Less crowded and more personalized instruction.  Just my $1 worth as I do ski a lot and have for many years and one of my best friends is a ski instructor part time at Winter Park.  This is also what he recommends.

I've tried skiing a few times.  Did not like falling down. Snow can be as hard as concrete I discovered😂😂

19 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

I taught my ex-wife how to drive a manual transmission (that’s not why she is an ex),  some old girlfriends, my current wife and 2 sons to drive a manual transmission.

You just have to have a little patience.

And a good clutch 

I learned to drive stick (self taught, trial & error) on a 3/4ton, 4x4 ammo truck. Got to play in 12+” of snow too. 😁

On 11/18/2019 at 4:26 PM, frankenthaler91 said:

Similar to trying to teach a GF how to drive a manual transmission. 

I learned how to drive in a stick, and thats all I drove until about 30. They were fun back in the day. ❤ 

5 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

I learned how to drive in a stick, and thats all I drove until about 30. They were fun back in the day. ❤ 

Many (20 some) years ago I loaned my CJ7 to a girl friend.  Later she calls to tell me the truck won't drive.   When I arrived, I found out she shifted the transfer case into neutral.  :rolleyes:

For the youngin's,  old 4x4's have 2 sticks on the floor.  1 for the transmission and 1 for the transfer case (4L, N, 2H, 4H).  On Jeeps, they are right next to each other and only a couple inches different in height.  

I have a number of images jumping into my head regarding Hunter handling a stick. None of the images involves a car....

7 hours ago, sb1212 said:

I have a number of images jumping into my head regarding Hunter handling a stick. None of the images involves a car....

Took the words right out of my mouth.  ;)

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:53 PM, jasminewaterss7 said:

First - I was a ski instructor for several years and want to say that taking a lesson is imperative the first time out, if you want to have fun.  It takes a long time to get into the heads of beginners to understand what they need to see, hear and do in order to (in the order of importance):

1.  Stay warm,

2.  Have fun,

3.  Learn to ski.  This will come much easier if the first two are met.

'Nuff said, and here is a killer deal - Winter Park has a great beginners ski school and a great beginners mountain, and they have an early season deal that includes ski rental, a lift ticket and lessons for $109.  This is such a killer bargain.  Now all you need is someone to drive you up and pay for your package.  Hmm.....

Anyway - here is the deal:

https://www.winterparkresort.com/plan-your-trip/deals-and-packages/early-season-srs?utm_source=IBM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WP_REV_FY20_11.22.19_Early_Season_SkiandRide_Promo_CO_Campaign B&utm_content=CTA1Button_earlyseason&&eml-publisher=Strategie&eml-name=WP_REV_FY20_11.22.19_Early_Season_SkiandRide_Promo_CO_Campaign B&uid=&eurl=CTA1Button_earlyseason&spMailingID=4444651&spUserID=MTA4ODQyMDI3NDg1S0&spJobID=900936193&spReportId=OTAwOTM2MTkzS0

55 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

1.  Stay warm,

2.  Have fun,

3.  Learn to ski.  This will come much easier if the first two are met.

istock_000007373873small.jpg?w=640