Naomi-0172

Worldwide Economic Slowdown

37 posts in this topic

I m curious as to how things are for everyone?  I notice more people are working more often which makes me think it’s slower for everyone and there is a significant drop in those who are hobbying at all in the last few months.  Not just Denver but all over the US and UK.  

things suck! layoffs are affecting some sectors, food and rent are more expensive ... people are basically cutting back on somethings ... hobby is probably getting affected as well.

On 2/10/2024 at 11:53 AM, Naomi-0172 said:

I m curious as to how things are for everyone?  I notice more people are working more often which makes me think it’s slower for everyone and there is a significant drop in those who are hobbying at all in the last few months.  Not just Denver but all over the US and UK.  

As a hobbyiest, all we know is what we see, how often we each engage in the hobby. But I decided to do some antidotal research. January 2024 is the last completed month. A quick count on here shows about 100 reviews were posted on TOB last month.  I went back a couple of years, which took A LOT of clicking, and did a rough count of reviews from that January. I stopped counting at 300.  That obviously shows less activity on this site over the last couple of years. Doesn't prove less activity overall, just on this site. It's also possible that the guys are posting reviews at a lower rate. Hard to say.

From my observations, and in my opinion, yes, there is a lot less activity than there was just a couple of years ago.  I'm sure there are a lot of opinions as to why, but to me, the reasons as pretty obvious.

5 hours ago, Mustang87 said:

As a hobbyiest, all we know is what we see, how often we each engage in the hobby. But I decided to do some antidotal research. January 2024 is the last completed month. A quick count on here shows about 100 reviews were posted on TOB last month.  I went back a couple of years, which took A LOT of clicking, and did a rough count of reviews from that January. I stopped counting at 300.  That obviously shows less activity on this site over the last couple of years. Doesn't prove less activity overall, just on this site. It's also possible that the guys are posting reviews at a lower rate. Hard to say.

From my observations, and in my opinion, yes, there is a lot less activity than there was just a couple of years ago.  I'm sure there are a lot of opinions as to why, but to me, the reasons as pretty obvious.

Not much in the way I disposable income and then we had COVID-19 that is lingering. Also, after January comes tax season. Someone told me that we’re living in  a new financial depression and this depression is worse than the 1930s.. I really don’t know what to think about that?I am  doing everything possible to stay positive in my life. I hope everybody else is too! Was laughing, because I could start my own soup kitchen.  I made tons of beef vegetable soup the other day in my Instapot. My freezer is full of containers of soup.

There have been major price increases in many things for a lot of reasons. One primary reason is that in the US, the economy, for better or worse, runs on petroleum products. Depending on where you are, and what type of petroleum products you utilize, the price of this is up between 35-50% over four years ago. Make of it what you will, but when it costs $3.50/gallon of gas vs $1.95 to deliver the same carton of eggs, the retail price is going to go up. There's petroleum involved in virtually every facet of American life, not just our car's tank.  I recently read an article that claimed that an overwhelming majority of households with incomes of $150K annually reported to be living paycheck to paycheck. Not a lot of disposable income out there for many. 

Things are tight over here (not in the good way).  I haven't been able to help the ladies nearly as much as I'd like.

Hobbying is about the same for me. No complaints................. 

The World economy, inflation, etc. pinches the wallet sure, but not to the degree to stop the main subject activity here.  What absolutely DOES put a major crimp on things is stuff like having to fork out $1000 last week alone on annual deductibles and co-pays for pharmacy and dental.  First of the year is always rough for that.  And the major crimp will be next month giving the feds $5000 more than the plenty I have already paid them.  Economy meh.  Taxes and insurance, oh yeah. Perhaps just me.

Things like sales tax are up because the cost of goods is up, insurance is up because any loss that insurance covers is going to be higher because of the cost of materials.  I recently paid over $400.00 for one half pint of paint for a spot hood repair ...... won't discuss the labor. Fuel costs are obscene. Home energy as well.  The energy MAY be sustainably produced but the cost of it in NOT sustainable.  When one must choose between things necessary to provide for a family, play time essentially goes away.  I, for one will not try to haggle for a ladies services.  I won't insult her or debase myself, I just go without.

I had something written up last night, and I think I deleted it. Just give me a few more thoughts on what’s going on from my perspective.. tax season as well as insurance premiums and co-pays I know those are getting out of control. they’re always owed around tax season aiso. I don’t know how many people know this, but Colorado is the most expensive inter-coastal city in the US!  Honestly, that alone sucks. Most of my family lives here in Denver so I am here also..I feel like I’ve seen so many changes.I wonder how my kids are gonna make it?then again, we just have to roll with it, right? There’s a big expense with moving and I hate packing stuff up! I’ll stick around a little bit longer.By the way, I’m selling my glassware collection. If anyone’s interested in high-end glassware. (Fenton, Jefferson, Duggan, Viking,) ?   Hell yes, I have a lot of glassware. I promise I’m not promoting myself.This is just something I need to do to make living and pay my bills.. back

I’ve returned to this site after 5 years almost and noticed a considerable decrease in activity on here in both listings, forum posts, and reviews. I guess the financial crisis of today explains that, sad times. 

2 hours ago, lakerboy24 said:

I’ve returned to this site after 5 years almost and noticed a considerable decrease in activity on here in both listings, forum posts, and reviews. I guess the financial crisis of today explains that, sad times. 

I've been here about 8 yrs. Don't know thst listings have decreased, but agree that reviews and forum posts have changed. Reviews changed by design/decree in response to FOSTA/SESTA few yrs back. Forum posts have declined in volume and interest. My opinion-  a few keyboard a-holes,/trolls made it not as much fun and some of the historically prolific and funny contributors went dark. 

On 2/29/2024 at 3:57 PM, sb1212 said:

I've been here about 8 yrs. Don't know thst listings have decreased, but agree that reviews and forum posts have changed. Reviews changed by design/decree in response to FOSTA/SESTA few yrs back. Forum posts have declined in volume and interest. My opinion-  a few keyboard a-holes,/trolls made it not as much fun and some of the historically prolific and funny contributors went dark. 

That is sad :( 

On 2/16/2024 at 2:38 PM, Happymon said:

There have been major price increases in many things for a lot of reasons. One primary reason is that in the US, the economy, for better or worse, runs on petroleum products. Depending on where you are, and what type of petroleum products you utilize, the price of this is up between 35-50% over four years ago. Make of it what you will, but when it costs $3.50/gallon of gas vs $1.95 to deliver the same carton of eggs, the retail price is going to go up. There's petroleum involved in virtually every facet of American life, not just our car's tank.  I recently read an article that claimed that an overwhelming majority of households with incomes of $150K annually reported to be living paycheck to paycheck. Not a lot of disposable income out there for many. 

This! Among every other thing that this adminisration has purposely imposed. Border security! I ask anybody to volunteer to go try to concole the family of the young lady who was brutally killed recently in GA by a illegal alien. This is not a isolated incident. We have no idea at this point who is comi!ng into this country. It is happening all across the country. I am not against immigration because we are all descendants of immigrants. But this is complete insanity. Im sure that alot of these people just want to better there lives for themselves and there children. I understand that! But there has be some orderly fashion to this But the chances of something catostrophic happening with the open border policies have increased 10x fold. I hope im wrong. Im sure i will catch hell but who cares. This has surpassed insanity. Every direction you look in this country we have a major disastor going on. Border, inflation, energy prices, wars starting everywhere and a guy who brags about how much he likes ice cream while talking about the major crises that are going on. The people need to make there voices heard in November!!

9 hours ago, Newoldbull said:

I hope im wrong.

Then your hopes have come true.

Garbage like this is why the "politics" category was created.

I do believe it is impacting the hobby nationwide. I have noticed a progressive decline regardless of the area or state. 

Here’s a thought…..I read this post and all the comments. Me personally business is good, but everything is way more expensive. So yes, people are definitely prioritizing. But as for the “hobby” I don’t think it will ever go back to the way it was even a few years ago pre covid…..people in general are becoming shut ins. Why go through the trouble and risk of going out into the world and meeting with a temporary friend when you can just go to your DEVICE and receive instant gratification 1000 different ways?  All over you tube and every social media vein you see memes and hear content promoting the “strength” of being alone. Pay attention and you’ll see it, alone alone alone alone alone, that’s what THEY are pushing. To be alone means to NOT BE UNITED. To be alone is to be DIVIDED……that’s what they want. And it’s happening, and has been. We are slowly retreating into our own cells. I’m positive this trend will continue. The provider/client relationship is the same as any relationship, only different, but all relationships require SOCIAL SKILLS, and the new generations are getting that less and less

I agree that social skills are found less and less.  But I think it started way before the Covid shutdowns.  I think once social media and smart phones became popular is when it started.  And with A.I. it will be even less.  I think it's funny that we still use the universal sign for a phone to mean call me.  (The hang loose sign with your thumb by your ear and your pinky by your mouth)  When really we should make two thumbs up signs with our hands close together and tap our thumbs against the top of our fists.  This would be the universal sign for Text Me.

On 3/21/2024 at 5:28 AM, jhooker said:

... To be alone means to NOT BE UNITED. To be alone is to be DIVIDED……that’s what they want. And it’s happening, and has been. We are slowly retreating into our own cells. [shells?]

Social media may create echo chambers, but so did the coffee houses of the 18th & 19th centuries.  The difference is the geographic dispersion.  Getting the group of loners to coalesce for an event is difficult.  This dispersion is also one of the difficulties of prosecuting the flash mobs of Antifa & BLM. 

12 hours ago, TML93 said:

…  When really we should make two thumbs up signs with our hands close together and tap our thumbs against the top of our fists.  This would be the universal sign for Text Me.

😱🤪🤣😘

44 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Social media may create echo chambers, but so did the coffee houses of the 18th & 19th centuries.  The difference is the geographic dispersion.  Getting the group of loners to coalesce for an event is difficult.  This dispersion is also one of the difficulties of prosecuting the flash mobs of Antifa & BLM. 

"Garbage like this is why the 'politics' category was created. "

On 3/17/2024 at 10:24 AM, gr8owl said:

Garbage like this is why the "politics" category was created.

2 hours ago, whatagame said:

"Garbage like this is why the 'politics' category was created. "

Thank you guys for your response! I'm always  amazed of people's ignorance! 

I probably should have made my comments on the political spectrum but there hasnt been much activity there lately. I WONDER WHY!! The reason there isnt more activity is because whats going onnow cant be defended.  So if you three clowns want to debate the state of the union just  feel free to inform me why things are so much better under this bunch of clusterfucks. I cant wait to hear this line of bullshit. 

NoB it is certain that $ will BE DROPPED at the FEET of YOUTH at which time….a BIGGER BOAT need will be EXPRESSED….same=Me….

8 hours ago, Newoldbull said:

I probably should have made my comments on the political spectrum but there hasnt been much activity there lately. I WONDER WHY!! The reason there isnt more activity is because whats going onnow cant be defended.  So if you three clowns want to debate the state of the union just  feel free to inform me why things are so much better under this bunch of clusterfucks. I cant wait to hear this line of bullshit. 

While I would love to take you up on such a sweet invitation, I Googled 'waste of time' and found, "trying to debate someone who posts this:  'If you can tell me one thing that is going well in this  country right now [i.e., If you disagree with me.] i will think you are delusional."  So, nah

It’s feeling 2007-08ish right now. The car dealers can’t get rid of cars now. There are lots of 2023 models, and incentives, and I’m sure we will see more. Layoffs are happening (Stellantis 400). It’s not good.😐 I had more money when I made substantially less. It’s scary as hell.

3 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

It’s feeling 2007-08ish right now. The car dealers can’t get rid of cars now. There are lots of 2023 models, and incentives, and I’m sure we will see more. Layoffs are happening (Stellantis 400). It’s not good.😐 I had more money when I made substantially less. It’s scary as hell.

I'm hearing this very same thing for a lot of people in our little world. This industry will always be around, but like anything, there is going to be ups and downs. We seem to be in a down.

14 hours ago, Newoldbull said:

Because it is the same old bullshit over and over again and facts bounce off you like water off a duck.  Like talking to a Coke machine only no possibility of getting a Coke.  That is not a debate.  Again, take your twisted political beliefs to the politics section.  Please.

On 3/26/2024 at 9:04 AM, whatagame said:

While I would love to take you up on such a sweet invitation, I Googled 'waste of time' and found, "trying to debate someone who posts this:  'If you can tell me one thing that is going well in this  country right now [i.e., If you disagree with me.] i will think you are delusional."  So, nah

The reason its your so called bullshit over and over is because facts dont change. I dont come up with a new story every week unlike you. You have been wrong on the Russian collusion hoax. If there was anything to that dont you think the liberal media and the people managing Biden would be hitting on that full bore. They wore that story out.  You have been wrong on the Hunter Biden laptop. The only reason the Bidens arent being prosecuted is because of the liberal media and the DOJ  is protecting them. If there was as much evidence against us we would be looking between bars now. I could go on but you get the general gist. Democrats rely on unimformed voters. Taking over the mainstream media fell right into there playbook. Go watch Good Morning Joe. Disgusting!! A debate usually involves people with differing viewpoints so i think you and i are in a debate. But anyway i didnt even touch on the legal warfare that was tried to keep Trump off the ballot in Colorado and other states. If you think this is protecting democracy when over half of the voters would vote for him then i think you are advocatinng voter suppression. Actually think about. This is how things happening in the countries people are supposedly fleeing to is are getting away from.