JRWolfe

Sad Suprise .May It Not Happen To Anyone

46 posts in this topic

I dont want to sound like a bitch but if shes on drugs or in a bad relationship she chose that life.... I have been there I know that life... If she was a tob girl then why not reach out to her regulars... I struggle on a weekly basis but I also have children to support so... talk to her if at all possible and if the guy comes out and starts answering for her that's your answer...  if she looks like shes on drugs cut ties before she makes your life a living hell. . Again I speak from experience .. pls be careful... best of luck to you... 

The odds of this happening are astronomical. 

Way to go helping!

Knowing your posts here, you are THE MOST STANDUP GUY!!

Kudos to you, over and over!!

2 hours ago, Dita said:

I dont want to sound like a bitch but if shes on drugs or in a bad relationship she chose that life.... I have been there I know that life... If she was a tob girl then why not reach out to her regulars... I struggle on a weekly basis but I also have children to support so... talk to her if at all possible and if the guy comes out and starts answering for her that's your answer...  if she looks like shes on drugs cut ties before she makes your life a living hell. . Again I speak from experience .. pls be careful... best of luck to you... 

You obviously jumped to a conclusion.When she came out of that tarp,she was obviously alone,so no one will jump out at me. She doesn't know which house is mine and I did not volunteer that information.Didn't ask how she got on the street, but it wouldn't be a first for someone with a bad habit to get there. She stated she was going to take the bus downtown for help the first day,but obviously didn't . Didn't let on that I recognized her from TOB,but that was in 2008,so she may not remember me ,if she did she did not let on.

That said,for 30 years I volunteered at a homeless shelter every Christmas eve ,seen it all.

There were no ties made. Just gave her food,water and a lighter...and moved on.

Edited by JRWolfe

not every person on the street have bad habits .   

Nice of you to help her out .

You did a good thing. Nothing wrong with that. ;)

3 hours ago, lustybustygina said:

not every person on the street have bad habits .   

Nice of you to help her out .

Learned that there were a hundred reasons someone becomes homeless during the 30 years I volunteered every Christmas Eve at a shelter. This particular girl had the shakes .

good to see chivalry is not dead...

regardless of her circumstances/choices, it sounded like she could use a hand and you lent one...

always good to hear when things like this happen...

good on ya, and thanks for the share and the reminder...

have a great weekend everyone, and if you are lucky enough to be hobbying - hobby safe;)

16 hours ago, JRWolfe said:

Yesterday afternoon, I took an exercise walk on my walker down two houses in the alley behind my home. Suddenly. a tarp stirred,two eyes peered out and asked if I had a lighter. Surprised, I informed that person that I do not smoke and never carried a lighter or matches. Walked down one more house,took a right into a convenience store. Bought a lighter,some food and water (plus a lottery ticket for myself ). Went back up the alley,asked if that person was still in the tarp,got silence.Then said I have a lighter,food and water for you. The tarp stirred,a girl came out.Thanked me for the lighter,food and water.

To my surprise, this homeless person was not just a girl...she was the first girl that I met on TOB !!

Not going to give away her name,will respect both her privacy and TOB rules.

Did the same exercise today and found her still under that tarp.  (yes,did the food and water again for her )

Hope this never happens to anyone.Being homeless has been obviously very rough on her.

JR, thanks for showing kindness and compassion.  We have a lot of great folks on TOB and you are one of them.  Being homeless, no matter the reason, really sucks.  The things most folks take for granted are sometime tough to find for those who have experienced homelessness.  A little kindness goes a long way and even small acts of compassion can feel huge to the person on the receiving end.  I hope I never forget my past because being homeless is traumatic.  Sometimes when I think life is tough, I have to remember that I have a stable roof over my head (there were times in the past when that was not true), have food in the fridge and folks in my life who I care about who care about me.  With those things in place, the rest of my troubles will get worked out.  Again, thanks.

I had no idea that you were celebrity jrwolfe...  pls forgive me for obviously not knowing who you are... why couldn't you just quote my comment why privately message me.. my fault for trying to give some honest raw advice without thinking you would send me an email about Obviously "not knowing who you are"

45 minutes ago, Dita said:

I had no idea that you were celebrity jrwolfe...  pls forgive me for obviously not knowing who you are... why couldn't you just quote my comment why privately message me.. my fault for trying to give some honest raw advice without thinking you would send me an email about Obviously "not knowing who you are"

I appreciated your honesty. It's a good thing to have compassion and help others if you're able too, but yes it's very wise to be smart and cautious when you have no idea who or what you're dealing with. I liked hearing a different perspective, because safety is an issue too. Thanks for sharing yours.

1 hour ago, Dita said:

1) Most of us old timers know JR, know his history in both this and related industries.  This is not JR’s 1st rodeo, as they say.  I image JR chose PM to explain in an effort to not make a public issue of your lack of this knowledge.  It’s the polite thing to do; I would have done the same in his position.

2) As a general topic, your PSA was fine IMHO.  We sometimes need to be reminded of these aspects of the homeless.

2 hours ago, Dita said:

why privately message me..

As stated in that message,we are not allowed to post our resume on the boards. But if you read it word for word,you would understand that I am not naive and can look out for myself.

wow - hope things turn around for her! 

squeezes for u & your ♡ JR!

9 hours ago, Leonalune said:

wow - hope things turn around for her! 

squeezes for u & your ♡ JR!

Haven't been down the alley since the second day she was under the tarp,and I gave her food and water. She is no longer there.Don't know if that property owner chased her out,if the police picked her up or if she went to the downtown shelters like she said she was going to on the first day.

Just a reminder,she never begged or asked for anything but fire (matches,lighter ) for her cigarette.It was my idea to give her a lighter,food and water. Only spent 5 minutes talking to her on the first day,less on the second.

Its really no different from back when I was driving and packing sandwiches and water to give out to the homeless we see begging on the streets and highway ramps ,to my mind.

8 hours ago, JRWolfe said:

Haven't been down the alley since the second day she was under the tarp,and I gave her food and water. She is no longer there.Don't know if that property owner chased her out,if the police picked her up or if she went to the downtown shelters like she said she was going to on the first day.

Just a reminder,she never begged or asked for anything but fire (matches,lighter ) for her cigarette.It was my idea to give her a lighter,food and water. Only spent 5 minutes talking to her on the first day,less on the second.

Its really no different from back when I was driving and packing sandwiches and water to give out to the homeless we see begging on the streets and highway ramps ,to my mind.

Most of the time you are correct, but I've seen some insanely violent shit on Lawrence street dowtown right out in the open with the homeless people, and people are getting held up and robbed down in the Rhino district. I had to get a family member some protection That doesnt prevent me from going down there and I often give money, gloves,, beanies, to people on the streets, but it CAN be dangerous, especially walking down an Alley by yourself. I'm not saying don't do it or do it, but it's smart to be cautious and be safe too, even when helping the less fortunate..

I hope your friend got whatever help she needed.

Edited by Hunter VanDyke

1 hour ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

it CAN be dangerous, especially walking down an Alley by yourself. I'm not saying don't do it or do it, but it's smart to be cautious and be safe too, even when helping the less fortunate..

Since there is a police station just on the north side of the street,in plain view of my alley,I wasn't worried.

48 minutes ago, JRWolfe said:

Since there is a police station just on the north side of the street,in plain view of my alley,I wasn't worried.

Geez. The DMs and such are a little much for a couple generalized comments. I was just commenting on my experience in similar situations. I thought I was being nice. 🤷‍♀️ 😂

Done with this thread. 🙄

17 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Most of the time you are correct, but I've seen some insanely violent shit on Lawrence street downtown right out in the open with the homeless people, and people are getting held up and robbed down in the Rhino district.

I don't live anywhere near that part of town,so the analogy surprises me.Especially as its a warning to me. Having lived in my neighborhood since 1985, can state that this was a first to find a homeless person in my alley.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:23 AM, JRWolfe said:

I've had people I knew get robbed at gun point right behind a police station so being in front of, right next to, or around a police station doesn't always mean you have nothing to worry about.... Just throwing it out there and don't bother sending a pm lecture about anything because I won't even open it....

5 minutes ago, Strange_Ice said:

I've had people I knew get robbed at gun point right behind a police station so being in front of, right next to, or around a police station doesn't always mean you have nothing to worry about.... Just throwing it out there and don't bother sending a pm lecture about anything because I won't even open it....

This genuinely made me unexpectedly laugh out loud. It’s been a bit of a day so thanks for that. 

If you see her again you can always direct her to her local SWOP ( Sex Worker’s Outreach Project) chapter. I know they have some resources and are happy to speak with people. There is a chapter in Denver. They support active sex workers- it’s not an organization that denigrates the work in any way/ nor is it a rehab type of organization. Just a comfortable space for sex workers to network and communicate about issues central to their safety and well-being. 

Kind of you to care x. 

Edited by Celeste

10 hours ago, Strange_Ice said:

I've had people I knew get robbed at gun point right behind a police station so being in front of, right next to, or around a police station

saw that in a keystone cops movie

It was nice that you helped her.  No one should have to go hungry or live like that.  I do get what Dita was getting at. Some by constant bad choices have set them on that path to your alley. I did help one out for a bit and it did come back to bite me. So each story is as different as a snowflake.  Some can be flakier than others.

Reading this whole thread...all I can think about is the stock show thread. 🙄

On 3/6/2020 at 6:03 PM, JRWolfe said:

Yesterday afternoon, I took an exercise walk on my walker down two houses in the alley behind my home. Suddenly. a tarp stirred,two eyes peered out and asked if I had a lighter. Surprised, I informed that person that I do not smoke and never carried a lighter or matches. Walked down one more house,took a right into a convenience store. Bought a lighter,some food and water (plus a lottery ticket for myself ). Went back up the alley,asked if that person was still in the tarp,got silence.Then said I have a lighter,food and water for you. The tarp stirred,a girl came out.Thanked me for the lighter,food and water.

To my surprise, this homeless person was not just a girl...she was the first girl that I met on TOB !!

Not going to give away her name,will respect both her privacy and TOB rules.

Did the same exercise today and found her still under that tarp.  (yes,did the food and water again for her )

Hope this never happens to anyone.Being homeless has been obviously very rough on her.

You know, I REALLY try to give to the street people, I don't give a damn about their problems and don't ask.  If I have a 10 or 20 to spare it's their's theirs for sure! 

Been doing this for a long time.

PM me, I might to be able to help her, thanks.

For some reason I too read this as two pair of eyes and had to go back and confirm I misread it and it was "two eyes".  My initial thought was "get the hell out of there JR".  Dita had good advice but maybe it didn't fit this exact scenario.  Not sure why we engaged in a bit of mudslinging here. 

Kudos to JR - glad he was able to tell the tale and was not accosted in an ally but two one-eyed tarp-dwellers.

21 hours ago, sparkey600 said:

You know, I REALLY try to give to the street people, I don't give a damn about their problems and don't ask.  If I have a 10 or 20 to spare it's their's theirs for sure! 

Been doing this for a long time.

Me too, Sparkey, and I don't give a damn if they go off and drink up my donation. Or snort it, smoke it, shove it up their bum, shoot it intravenously, or exercise whatever their preferred route of administration. It's a free country in my book, and that includes the freedom to go off and cure cancer, or to self-destruct in a manner of their choice, and all paths in between the two.

On 3/10/2020 at 0:30 PM, Strange_Ice said:

He did that with me a while back too! The PM lecture! I just deleted it and moved on. It’s really odd to see I’m not the only one who got one! 🤣