Laci French

Self care ❤...what is that to you?

40 posts in this topic

I've been taking some me time and disconnecting to give back to me.

What do you do for your self care and mental health days?

Hope everyone is having a blessed and beautiful evening.

Goals. We must be striving for something, all of us.

I hope things are good.

Spend quite time looking inward evaluating the life decisions I have made and need to make learning from mistakes and chose better ways for the future. Getting out into nature really helps 

45 minutes ago, Laci French said:

Thank you! 

I enjoy watching the giant cluster fuck that is the 2020 presidential contest. It's like watching a Monty Python episode. 

1 hour ago, Laci French said:

This week marks one year since my stroke. Have been frustrated recently that my body has not fully recovered . Although my doctor has taken a lot off the table,he has recently approved massage and fine dining. Granted it still means that what I'm usually up for,is still months away. But at least this much does make strides towards good health and good self care. As for mental health, as noted by others,the clusterfuck called picking a candidate,has been SO hysterical....and laughter is good mental stress relief.

I have learned to turn off my phone. Was hard to do the first time. But amazingly, the world did not stop turning and the sun came up the next morning. I am now occasionally even leaving my cell at home when i go out with my friends. I had no idea how much my phone controlled me. The realization that I control my phone has been mentally freeing.

Music

I’ll sit down & play some classical guitar or strum&sing some folk tunes 

I do a variety of things,  play with the dogs and go for long walks with them out in the boonies, mess around in my woodshop, listen to music and when the weather is good go FISHING. 

14 hours ago, Laci French said:

Laci, thanks for this thread.  I think we spend so much time and effort "doing" that we sometimes forget to stop, smell the roses and take care of ourselves.  I struggle with self care, but am trying to make progress.  Enjoying time off from work.  Listening to music (and playing a gig this week) and spiritual talks can help me get back to center.  I like to drive and enjoy the mountains, so will taking a drive to Estes Park sometime this week.  I know this may be weird for a guy, but I enjoy shopping...even grocery shopping, but expect to hit the Castle Rock Factory stores sometime this week.  Time to check out some colognes, kitchen stuff and other non-essential things.

I also find spending time with friends to be good for me.  This week, my struggle will be what to do, when to do it and who to do it with.  ;)  Not having a set schedule will be an adjustment for me over the next two weeks.  Whatever I end up doing, I hope to do things mindfully, in a non-rushed manner and fully enjoy my choices.

Jump out of airplanes.

45 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

Jump out of airplanes.

So you're taking a flying leap?

:lol:

38 minutes ago, SixtiesDude said:

So you're taking a flying leap?

:lol:

My Dad always questioned why I jumped out of perfectly good airplanes, practicing something you needed to get right the 1st time.  My response was that parachutes & skis tied for 2nd & 3rd place on the physical experience scale.

On 3/1/2020 at 7:06 PM, pfunk said:

Thank you! 

I enjoy watching the giant cluster fuck that is the 2020 presidential contest. It's like watching a Monty Python episode. 

I just watched The Holy Grail for the first time last week... I thought that was so stupid!  Until the next day I started laughing out loud about the coconuts!!!!

10 hours ago, BadBoy said:

Jump out of airplanes.

Both relaxing and exhilarating at the same time

I go to the spa and do chick stuff for myself and take time to be off line  most every day and only  hang out when it's time to get back to it ,  I had to take 2weeks off due to a couple deaths in Jan , and it made me notice  I can be more help to good friends when they need me then being so wrapped up in myself . 

I leave the phone behind and enjoy the great outdoors! On the other side of the coin..... find something to binge watch! Hope you are well. 😉

On 3/1/2020 at 7:11 PM, Laci French said:

On 3/1/2020 at 7:52 PM, JRWolfe said:

This week marks one year since my stroke. Have been frustrated recently that my body has not fully recovered . Although my doctor has taken a lot off the table,he has recently approved massage and fine dining. Granted it still means that what I'm usually up for,is still months away. But at least this much does make strides towards good health and good self care. As for mental health, as noted by others,the clusterfuck called picking a candidate,has been SO hysterical....and laughter is good mental stress relief.

JR...keep the good things in focus. Um, Ted's Montana Grill is very fin dining. Just saying! haha Go there if you have not been before!

You will get better my friend! Positive thoughts...to you bud you will always your friend!

8 hours ago, sparkey600 said:

JR...keep the good things in focus. Um, Ted's Montana Grill is very fin dining. Just saying! haha Go there if you have not been before!

You will get better my friend! Positive thoughts...to you bud you will always your friend!

Nobody named Ted is fine dining !!!    

Teds’s Montana Grill is okay but in my opinion, I can think of other restaurants I’d much rather go to.

I used to love the Broker restaurants.  Now it’s Flemings, Del Frisco’s for steak.

If anyone has info on a great place for chicken fried steak, I’d appreciate hearing about. I’m not talking about the pre-frozen patties but a restaurant that takes a rib eye and chicken fries it. There is a restaurant in Dallas called Nate’s that does that and the chicken fried steak is almost orgasmic when devouring it.

I did that too. It’s been great. 

I was sitting on the ground when I noticed a giant spider, flat and crab like, scuttling on the carpet. He looked like a can lid with legs. I had to lift my butt up off the ground with my feet to avoid getting bitten. Eventually he scuttled away from me and a small dog leapt on him to eat him. I could tell the spider was biting him in the mouth because the dog looked like he was eating something spicy. But he ate every last piece of it.

19 hours ago, Elle Blake said:

I just watched The Holy Grail for the first time last week... I thought that was so stupid!  Until the next day I started laughing out loud about the coconuts!!!!

It's a movie that made me laugh as a kid. And just as hard as a grown up. And quotes from it can come up at the weiri times.

1 hour ago, decafnaetd said:

It's a movie that made me laugh as a kid. And just as hard as a grown up. And quotes from it can come up at the weiri times.

Made me laugh, too!

"King Arthur: Look, you stupid bastard, you've got no arms left!
Black Knight: Yes I have.
King Arthur: Look!
Black Knight: Just a flesh wound."

French: I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hampster, and your father smelt of eldeberries!
King Arthur: Is there anyone else up there we can talk to?
French: No! now go away away or I shall taunt you a second time!

2 hours ago, Vassago said:

I was sitting on the ground when I noticed a giant spider, flat and crab like, scuttling on the carpet. He looked like a can lid with legs. I had to lift my butt up off the ground with my feet to avoid getting bitten. Eventually he scuttled away from me and a small dog leapt on him to eat him. I could tell the spider was biting him in the mouth because the dog looked like he was eating something spicy. But he ate every last piece of it.

Ahhh, Vassago, master of the non sequitur, so good to see.

7 hours ago, Vassago said:

I was sitting on the ground when I noticed a giant spider, flat and crab like, scuttling on the carpet. He looked like a can lid with legs. I had to lift my butt up off the ground with my feet to avoid getting bitten. Eventually he scuttled away from me and a small dog leapt on him to eat him. I could tell the spider was biting him in the mouth because the dog looked like he was eating something spicy. But he ate every last piece of it.

I swear Vassago, one of these days I hope to understand your posts. I obviously need to expand my horizons of literacy. 

8 hours ago, Vassago said:

Should I feed my dogs spiders or get my ass up?

Just now, Laci French said:

Should I feed my dogs spiders or get my ass up?

I’d say to get your ass up.

1 hour ago, SixtiesDude said:

I swear Vassago, one of these days I hope to understand your posts. I obviously need to expand my horizons of literacy. 

I hear it has to happen with fire and liquor.