Elle Blake

How's traffic in Denver interfere with your ability to hobby??

58 posts in this topic

at one point, making the trip from my place near 120th and i25 to the dtc to visit a lady wasn't too bad. now i won't bother making the trip because i don't want to show up all pissed off. which is rather sad as there are several ladies down there i would like to see. if only they would from time to time set up shop up north for a week or 2. another point to consider is downtown, there is a lady i'd like to see that set up shop downtown, i will not try to deal with the parking there anymore so until she moves elsewhere i won't be seeing her.

10 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Our mustached friend is in deed correct.  Never try to travel near the District of Columbia during rush hour.  You’re talking 4 lanes bumper-to-bumper an hour out of town.  Almost worse than LA.  DC’s saving grace is the Metro which keeps some folks out of their cars. 

Besides, who wants to be in DC right now?  It’s full of whack-a-doodles!😱

In Denver the DC(*) is a pedestrian venue. But that’s as close as we get to having a “center” 🥴

(*) Denver Center (for the Performing Arts)

I spent a couple years in DC working out of the Pentagon 69-71.  Traffic sucked big time then and last time I was there about 5 years ago.

23 hours ago, IRsparky said:

at one point, making the trip from my place near 120th and i25 to the dtc to visit a lady wasn't too bad. now i won't bother making the trip because i don't want to show up all pissed off. which is rather sad as there are several ladies down there i would like to see. if only they would from time to time set up shop up north for a week or 2. 

We do, we have. There needs to be enough interest that actually materializes to offset expenses and time away. That means paying for a house, an office and now an office up North too? I’m all for it. It’s fun meeting new people and having a change of scenery. It just doesn’t make sense now. Circa 2011-2014 was nice. We could go anywhere, have fun and be busy. 😐

Traffic has gotten so much worse in the past 10-15 years.  It now reminds me of my time in Los Angeles.

With that being said, I am someone who is willing to make the drive for the right lady (ladies).  I just plan accordingly and accept that traffic sucks.  But I have to say, sometimes the anticipation can be so sweet (when I am in the right frame of mind).  There have been times when the seat belt feels a bit tight in certain areas when driving to meet someone.  ;)

In the past several days I have had to use I-70, I-225, and I-25. Not the norm for me. Fuck yea it can suck! Have been trying to use these highways at non peak times. Still encounter slowdowns and delays regardless. 

We all can and will complain about Denver traffic and it is bad.

But we are nowhere as bad as Wash DC, Atlanta, Chicago, LA, SF, Seattle.

Our traffic could be worse.

1 hour ago, ilovewomen said:

We all can and will complain about Denver traffic and it is bad.

But we are nowhere as bad as Wash DC, Atlanta, Chicago, LA, SF, Seattle.

Our traffic could be worse.

From the Google-net

The Worst Traffic in the U.S. Is In…

INRIX reports that the most traffic-congested city in the U.S. is Boston, where drivers lose an average of 164 hours a year to congestion. Things aren’t much better in Washington, D.C., where commuters slogged through 155 hours of congestion each year.

Which U.S. cities were the worst? Led by Boston and D.C., the 10 most congested American cities, and the number of hours spent in traffic, were as follows:

1. Boston – 164
  2. Washington, D.C. – 155
  3. Chicago – 138
  4. New York City – 133
  5. Los Angeles – 128
  6. Seattle – 138
  7. Pittsburgh – 127
  8. San Francisco – 116
  9. Philadelphia – 112
  10. Portland, Oregon – 116

Note that the cities were ranked not only by total hours lost to congestion but also other factors such as the cost of congestion per driver.

For travelers, there’s a clear link between congested cities and popular tourist destinations. You’ll want to consider timing your sightseeing to avoid rush hour and using public transportation (or walking) instead of driving while on vacation in these cities.

7 hours ago, Kaduk said:

From the Google-net

INRIX reports that the most traffic-congested city in the U.S. is Boston, where drivers lose an average of 164 hours a year to congestion. Things aren’t much better in Washington, D.C., where commuters slogged through 155 hours of congestion each year.

Which U.S. cities were the worst? Led by Boston and D.C., the 10 most congested American cities, and the number of hours spent in traffic, were as follows:

1. Boston – 164
  3. Chicago – 138
  4. New York City – 133
  5. Los Angeles – 128
  6. Seattle – 138
  7. Pittsburgh – 127
  8. San Francisco – 116
  9. Philadelphia – 112

Note that the cities were ranked not only by total hours lost to congestion but also other factors such as the cost of congestion per driver.

For travelers, there’s a clear link between congested cities and popular tourist destinations. You’ll want to consider timing your sightseeing to avoid rush hour and using public transportation (or walking) instead of driving while on vacation in these cities.

I agree with all of those.  And I was in Portland Monday /Tuesday this week.

To me, on time is late.  I almost always plan for 20-30 minutes of delay.  If I get there early, I'll shoot a text like "I made it to the area sooner, if you happen to be available a bit earlier - if not, no worries - I'll be waiting!"

Sometimes, that works great, and the appointment gets going early.  Sometimes, I wind up having to wait, which isn't a bad thing at all.  I've never had that 'i got here early' text go against me.  Communication is key, as well as attitude and going with the flow.

11 hours ago, Phil-anderer said:

To me, on time is late.  I almost always plan for 20-30 minutes of delay.  If I get there early, I'll shoot a text like "I made it to the area sooner, if you happen to be available a bit earlier - if not, no worries - I'll be waiting

I follow a similar strategy, especially if visiting a new location.  I identify the location as best I can, the go get a cuppa someplace as I wait for the appropriate time.

On 11/20/2019 at 8:33 PM, Phil-anderer said:

To me, on time is late.  I almost always plan for 20-30 minutes of delay.  If I get there early, I'll shoot a text like "I made it to the area sooner, if you happen to be available a bit earlier - if not, no worries - I'll be waiting!"

Sometimes, that works great, and the appointment gets going early.  Sometimes, I wind up having to wait, which isn't a bad thing at all.  I've never had that 'i got here early' text go against me.  Communication is key, as well as attitude and going with the flow.

I do the same thing.  I'd rather be early than late.  I bring a book to read and park near the agreed upon location.  So far, it has worked out very well.

Traffic this morning...leave 2 times earlier.  What a fricking zoo out there today.

I quit work when my 15mi commute became quicker on my bicycle (including shower) than in the car.  

I also remember when my company keeps moving the office further & further away.  Adding 1hr to my daily commute was the equivalent of a 10-12% pay cut.

Elle, I'm really glad to see this thread because traffic is a major problem for me in the hobby. I live about 5-10 minutes south of DTC and work in downtown. I lived in NYC/Conn./Mass for 10+ years and Denver's traffic is approaching east coast traffic levels. I take I-25 to and from work and it is just absolutely brutal. 

Those that I wish to see are in the North Aurora, Commerce City, Green Valley Ranch, and Westminster areas. Unfortunately, I've done the drive a few times to North Aurora or Westminster and I spend 2-3 hours of driving for a half hour session. Time is one thing I don't have or otherwise I'd be happy to make the drive. The only times I make a drive out of DTC is holidays when I have no work. 

So yes, traffic in Denver is a huge factor in how I choose and limit to whoever is posted near I-25 between downtown to Castle Pines to match my commute. 

On 11/16/2019 at 1:32 AM, Admiral C said:

I'm in Colorado Springs. At this point, I won't drive to Denver for a session anymore. The drive distance and drama ruins the pregame anticipation,and post-game glow.

On 11/16/2019 at 9:36 PM, Mustang87 said:

I'm in the Springs too. I still make the drive, but not as often. Try to plan for mid morning and be out before the lunch rush.

I used to be able to do a "long lunch" trip from COS to DTC.  With the traffic and "gap" construction I don't even consider that now.  I'll only make the trip now if I have the whole day free--which isn't often.

For me it does , traveling from downtown (work) to lets day DTC.. it makes it  a real bitch of a drive lol.. 

On 11/20/2019 at 0:13 AM, Kaduk said:

From the Google-net

1. Boston – 164
  3. Chicago – 138
  4. New York City – 133
  5. Los Angeles – 128
  6. Seattle – 138
  7. Pittsburgh – 127
  8. San Francisco – 116
  9. Philadelphia – 112

Denver might not have the worst traffic, but its not just about the traffic. 

Its about the drivers!   

• The ahole teenagers that barely passed their driving test.
  • The ahole people that will do anything to keep you from merging
  • The ahole people that change lanes every 200 feet
  • The ahole people that think its ok to text while driving
  • The ahole people that dont know which way they are going to turn until the last 50 feet
  • The ahole people that cant stay in their lane
  • The ahole people that dont know the meaning of tailgating

Did I leave any out?

Ten years ago DTC wasnt a bad drive.

Today DTC may as well be as far away as Texas.

1 hour ago, LoneRebel said:
  •  
  • The ahole people that think its ok to text while driving
  •  

I'd like to confiscate their phones, and run over said phones. ;)

Traffic definitely makes a difference. It seems like every trip from Broomfield to South Denver now involves 20-30 minutes of waiting in traffic no matter what time of day it is. And on the very rare occasions when traffic is moving quickly you arrive 30 minutes early and have to stooge around.

So I have a strong bias towards ladies who host up north. 

2 hours ago, small_fish-1344 said:

Traffic definitely makes a difference. It seems like every trip from Broomfield to South Denver now involves 20-30 minutes of waiting in traffic no matter what time of day it is. And on the very rare occasions when traffic is moving quickly you arrive 30 minutes early and have to stooge around.

So I have a strong bias towards ladies who host up north. 

Since I hobby on the weekends, traffic is mostly a non-issue.  But I've noticed more traffic on the weekends over the past year...by a bunch.  I figure many of them are going to see their favorite ASP to brighten their weekend.  :D

Truth is, I also have a strong bias...toward ladies....toward ladies who are fun....toward ladies who enjoy sharing the fun...toward ladies who turn my crank, seem to read my needs and wants, and who enthusiastically let their passion for pleasure known.  It is bias I've had for a number of years.  And at my age, I am not sure I will ever overcum that bias.  Thank God !!!  (and the ladies on TOB).

Most definitely!.  i live way up north and used to go to the DTC but unless I have to go there for some other reason I won't make the trip just to see a lady (although there are some whom I would like to visit).  Nowdays have limited myself to ladies up north due to the traffic.  I am glad that you are mostly up north.

It has definitely effected my decision making process.  I feel that I must have a larger window of time now to compensate for traffic headaches, etc. and still be on time.  As insignificant as that may sound, if you have to allot 30 minutes of drive time both to and from, the windows of opportunity are definitely less for me.  So the end result is that I end up scheduling less frequently than I would otherwise.   

Driving down from the arctic wasteland up north, I prefer to stay up north, and avoid Denver altogether, or take E-470 around the city if going to DTC.

Im in Castle Rock and only do in call. Wont consider anyone north of DTC. Used to head to C Spgs.....no more until the construction is finished. 

Ha! I am happy and grateful that my office is in the DTC :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, sb1212 said:

Used to head to C Spgs.....no more until the construction is finished. 

The construction is actually going to be finished?? I thought they just started over when it was done...