Thecoach

Gift card only no cash ?

38 posts in this topic

Was just told that a provider only takes gift cards preferably amazon gift cards ... I have never heard of this... said I can give it to her when we meet not in advance. This sounds like a scam any input would be helpful... this is a new provider with out references... feels like a red flag to me ... 

That was my thought but was hopping for someone would tell me different... wishful thinking lol thank you Kandi for being the voice of reason 

I asked and she said because she had gotten busted by a cop for accepting cash ... I didn’t really buy that excuse...

Strange that she would not accept cash, but I guess her excuse is plausible although I'd think getting busted with a gift card is as big a risk as getting busted with cash.  She said you could give her the card when you meet. I guess the risk would be that she would bolt at that point.  The same thing could happen with cash.  Red flags for sure, but it's possible she is just not that well informed on how things are usually done and thinks she has found a way to outsmart the system.

She hasn"t thought this through,  if she is legit. Anything of value traded in exchange for activities,  is just as bad as cash. They will haul you in.  The only other thought would be in hiding her proceeds. With the cards, she doesn't have to use a bank. She can shop on Amazon till she drops. Still you can use cash for gasoline, groceries, clothes l, etc and not have to use a bank. Maybe she is worried about having a large sum of cash on her or her residence.

47 minutes ago, Alex Majors said:

She hasn"t thought this through,  if she is legit. Anything of value traded in exchange for activities,  is just as bad as cash. They will haul you in.  The only other thought would be in hiding her proceeds. With the cards, she doesn't have to use a bank. She can shop on Amazon till she drops. Still you can use cash for gasoline, groceries, clothes l, etc and not have to use a bank. Maybe she is worried about having a large sum of cash on her or her residence.

Very interesting point! I could see this happening. Possibly feeling like on line shopping is her only means to survival. No car and Uber gets expensive. I can see this possibly happening. Even though it does sound rather sketchy. Let us know if you see her? Maybe no bank account too?

Edited by Kali Sensual Reiki

Kali you bring up a few good points never considered the online shopping aspect and how easy it is to get all you need to survive with out a car ... this kind of perspective is why I ask questions here ... many smarter than I...

So has anyone here ever got popped exchanging gifts cards for services, or anything other than cash, or know of anyone who has? 'm curious. 🤷‍♀️

I remember a discussion similar to this one not to long ago.

I’d recommend passing in this one and move on.

Not necessarily a scam I would say, the client could as well give the provider a card with no money on it, how would she know unless she checked it upon arrival. She’s also taking a risk 

27 minutes ago, Kaduk said:

Maybe she has Chrometophobia....

Merinthophobia ;) 

1 hour ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

So has anyone here ever got popped exchanging gifts cards for services, or anything other than cash, or know of anyone who has? 'm curious. 🤷‍♀️

No but when you hear about stings. The news will report that some of the guys were charged with possession of drugs. So I always figured maybe they were trying to trade.

55 minutes ago, stevie-2249 said:

Not necessarily a scam I would say, the client could as well give the provider a card with no money on it, how would she know unless she checked it upon arrival. She’s also taking a risk 

You make a valid point. However, I suspect when a guy actually tries to schedule, she'll want the number on the card, to "confirm it has the funds". Then she uses the funds, and you never see her. 

Just a guess. 

26 minutes ago, Alex Majors said:

No but when you hear about stings. The news will report that some of the guys were charged with possession of drugs. So I always figured maybe they were trying to trade.

Thats a crime in and of itself though, I'm talking about gift cards, or stuff that's not illegal to possess.

No Hunter I had to google it too lol I think the dinosaur was cute ...

I buy so much on Amazon. Maybe I should start accepting Amazon cards 🤷‍♀️

I guess that's between the client and provider.

Edited by Hunter VanDyke

I got this recently too...a provider that will only accept prepaid gift cards that she says will be verified upon meeting.  It definitely has me wary but if it’s verified at the physical meeting, I struggle to see how it’s any different from a provider that counts the cash up front.  Don’t get me wrong...I am definitely as suspicious as I am curious.

On 10/16/2019 at 2:49 PM, Hunter VanDyke said:

No doubt!  Imagine the uptick in visa gift cards!!

Target would sell out weekly:)

3 minutes ago, hornyoldtoad said:

No doubt!  Imagine the uptick in visa gift cards!!

Target would sell out weekly:)

I remember when I was on backpage, and had to buy gift cards to exchange into bitcoins to pay for ads 🤦‍♀️

I will say this...Wally World never seems to run out of gift cards.  I ran into a lot of backpage providers at the DTC walmart back in those days 😂

I would actually like if ladies took gift cards as that would work well for me.  But I still don't see why a lady wouldn't accept cash.

I think that in most all cases that anything other than cash is a scam. 

2 hours ago, Mustang87 said:

I would actually like if ladies took gift cards as that would work well for me.  But I still don't see why a lady wouldn't accept cash.

Not for new clients, but for my friends I know and trust, I'd probably be open to gift cards as well as cash. I'm a practical woman, so as long as its gift cards I can use in my everyday life, I can see that working sometimes. Cards that can be verified with the receipt from trusted gentleman, I might be open to that. 🤷‍♀️