gnarley_boy12

Kid chores

36 posts in this topic

What thing did you have to do when you were a kid that you disliked the most? Could have to do with school, home chores or whatever.

Mine:

Lutheran Confirmation. Had to go on Saturday mornings. Made the basketball team in the 7th grade and had to quit because the games were on Saturday morning. Hated the classes and was supposed to memorize paragraphs of  Martin Luther's writings every week which I was definitely not interested in or doing. Got caught getting into the communion wine which one provider has already told me I should be spanked for.

I had to take care of the stock. They were fed and watered before me.  Seven days a week.

Cleaning the chicken coup. I would rather do anything than that!!

Ditto with the live stock. Water was a 1.5 miles away so I had to take them there 2 to 3 times a week.  They got their grazing along the way.  Whole thing was a 4 to 5 hr affair. Used various means of transport: Horse, motorcycle, truck, foot...  Mom took care of them for the rest of the week.  Yrs later and mom finally told me how much she hated it.   Never really hated it but today, I really wish for the peace and serenity that came with that job, maybe when I retire.

I grow up in the mountains, so when the summer came around we would have to go get our wood! Enough to last the whole winter!

Rounding up the Mastadons and patrolling for rogue Velociraptors.  Childhood sucked back then.

6 hours ago, gnarley_boy12 said:

What thing did you have to do when you were a kid that you disliked the most? Could have to do with school, home chores or whatever.

Mine:

Lutheran Confirmation. Had to go on Saturday mornings. Made the basketball team in the 7th grade and had to quit because the games were on Saturday morning. Hated the classes and was supposed to memorize paragraphs of  Martin Luther's writings every week which I was definitely not interested in or doing. Got caught getting into the communion wine which one provider has already told me I should be spanked for.

I feel your pain gnarly boy! I grew up with conformation classes too. 

I did a lot of babysitting of my younger brother and his friends while growing up. Cooking meals and entertaining 7 year olds. 🥳 wanting to go out with my friends and never could that much. My parents where smart! 

Riding home on the creepy "Joy Bus" from Church every Sunday and Wednesday. Always the last to be dropped off. Creepy missionary dude would put a dollar bill over his mouth and ask me to give him a kiss. 😂😂😂

I never understood what the dollar bill thing was for? 🤔🤷‍♀️🙄

Church was definitely a chore for me.

Edited by Hunter VanDyke

I bet if you asked all of us were raised in a religious home or something of the sort lol. I guess we really needed God.back then cause look at where we all ended up lol....interesting 😂

50 minutes ago, Madison Taylor said:

I bet if you asked all of us were raised in a religious home or something of the sort lol. I guess we really needed God.back then cause look at where we all ended up lol....interesting 😂

I think maybe we had too.much thrown at us. I confess , I was an alter boy and got a catholic education my entire school life.

1 hour ago, Alex Majors said:

I think maybe we had too.much thrown at us. I confess , I was an alter boy and got a catholic education my entire school life.

I was in a Christian school until 3rd grade and my dad was a choir director, grandpa was a minister. Every Sunday and Wednesday were church. The religious life was all I was around while growing up 

Sunday school and church.  No one could ever explain to me why a brown kid in the Middle East would go to hell if they had never heard of or experienced Christianity.  Plus....  Jesus seemed like a pretty loving guy.  Hard to see how he'd HATE LGBT and other folks.  

10 hours ago, Phil-anderer said:

Plus....  Jesus seemed like a pretty loving guy.  Hard to see how he'd HATE LGBT and other folks.  

Right? I remember the Catholic priests claiming Jews, Muslims, and Hindus could never go to heaven, unless they converted. 

"Yeah, sure father, Jesus wants to punish other faiths!?!"

Makes you wonder if they actually read the new testament. 

Anyway, back to the OP...mowed the lawn, dug dandelions, followed dad and picked up the hedge and tree trimmings. Summer meant work!

21 hours ago, gnarley_boy12 said:

Mine:

Another one. Curfew. Never could figure out why 15 or 30 minutes was such a BFD.

Had a son. He couldn't figure it out either. 

14 hours ago, Alex Majors said:

I confess , I was an alter boy and got a catholic education my entire school life.

Not my entire school life,but when we lived in Kansas,1-3 grade was at a Catholic School. We did have a "wayward girl " in our class that would meet us behind the bushes. It was harmless fun and nothing x rated. Worst chore ? Hmm, spent a summer after we moved near Chicago on a cousins hog farm in southern Illinois. That was a misadventure.

3 hours ago, JRWolfe said:

Hmm, spent a summer after we moved near Chicago on a cousins hog farm in southern Illinois. That was a misadventure.

Nothing stinks like hogs. I can be around a cattle feedlot, with nothing but mud and manure. Hogs on the other hand will permeate your clothes and the stink never seems to come off them. Reminds me of the movie waking Ned Devine. They get soap for the character Pig Fin.

22 hours ago, Stang03 said:

I grow up in the mountains, so when the summer came around we would have to go get our wood! Enough to last the whole winter!

5 cords is what I am told is needed for an average home to stay warm in the winter. That’s tough work! 

Where I’m from we would go through 9 cords of wood! That’s how cold it gets!

Edited by Stang03

2 hours ago, Alex Majors said:

Nothing stinks like hogs. I can be around a cattle feedlot, with nothing but mud and manure. Hogs on the other hand will permeate your clothes and the stink never seems to come off them. Reminds me of the movie waking Ned Devine. They get soap for the character Pig Fin.

I was forced by necessity to work on a hog farm while in college. Made be be the first to arrive in the morning so that I could run the tractor and till the fields.

I am still very punctual and early a lot.

15 minutes ago, Stang03 said:

Where I’m from we would go through 9 cords of wood! That’s how cold it gets!

That’s a ton of wood sir! Be careful with that ax and saw? 😱

8 minutes ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9741636

9 minutes ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

I know huh I wouldn’t want to just be swinging it everywhere!😜

I had to vacuum the floors every damn day.  WTF no one vacuumes them everyday now.

26 minutes ago, Raine-7379 said:

I had to vacuum the floors every damn day.  WTF no one vacuumes them everyday now.

That's why they have those floor robots now...

Busting rims with a pry-bar and steel hammer at the Truck Tire Repair facility.  Unpaid.

7 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

Pulling weeds 🙄🙄🙄

I did that too. My dad would give us kids a row in the garden. We each had to pull the weeds and hoe it. It wasn't a daily chore. Maybe twice during the growing season, when he was busy with work. Still it would take most of the day in the heat of summer.

11 hours ago, Alex Majors said:

I did that too. My dad would give us kids a row in the garden. We each had to pull the weeds and hoe it. It wasn't a daily chore. Maybe twice during the growing season, when he was busy with work. Still it would take most of the day in the heat of summer.

Shoot, I had to do it every day after school... while my neighbors were playing outdoors.😢

So is your hoeing now that you’re grown up different than as a little?😂