Hunter VanDyke

For the Old-timers...

133 posts in this topic

My Mom used to say, "when you're on a elevator and start humming the music and know the words....YOU are OLD!"  I'll still take this alternative than pushing daisies any day of the week. :cool:

When I say my neighbor's name is Christie Brinkley and then they ask "Who is that?" 

talking to my best friend's daughter and her boyfriend about school while out to dinner not too long ago and the topic of writing a paper came up and i asked about the library and they looked at each other and laughed...

when i tried to explain what the world was like before we had the internet to write papers and before we had cell phones to do our talking for us, they looked at me like it was a time before the wheel...

Reminds me of the line from Dazed and Confused. "That is what I like about these high school girls. I keep getting older but they stay the same age" 

So what makes me feel old is seeing my customers kids getting married and having kids themselves. These are customers who had just gotten married when I first met them. Now I recyle the same storries to this new generation, that I told their parents 25 years ago. 

1 hour ago, FuriousWeasel said:

Right now I'm watching a TV show that's older than me.  But not by much...

I don’t think they exist.

Richard Jeni had a great one ...

"watching TV late at night and an  ad comes on and you stop to watch and say to yourself, 'that comes in a cream OR suppository?'"

I LOVED Richard Jeni.

Edited by whosyourdaty
added comment

Full Service was when the attendant pumped the gas and washed your windshield. Man I must be old.

2 hours ago, wglide2003 said:

Full Service was when the attendant pumped the gas and washed your windshield. Man I must be old.

And they checked your oil too

19 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

What makes you feel old? I went to get in the shower earlier, and usually I put on one of my spotify playlists or 80s music. Today I decided to put on the United States Top 50. Didn't know one damn song. Lol. Not only that, I didn't like one song either. I just kept thinking...damn I'm  getting old. Also thinking... damn I'm glad I didn't grow up in this generation. Also thinking...Damn saying that makes me sound old. 😂🤷‍♀️👍👩‍🦳

Wagon Trail , Cursive and the white Fuzzy TV screen at 1 am.. 

:(

MY siblings have no clue 😂

Edited by Chrissy

4 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Oh yes, the signing off of the daily broadcasting. The days before the dreaded  infomercials. How do they  sign their names without  knowing cursive?

22 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Oh, did I say that out loud?

Distributor points?  That’s a good one.  What did he have to say about carburetors?   I remember designing an electronic ignition system for my boss’s 2-cycle go cart in the 70s.

Music is probably my biggest cultural tell.  But that makes me older than I am because I prefer the big band era stuff over the hard rock of my youth.

Physically it’s lack of wind at altitude.  Things have never quite been the same since they re-routed the plumbing in my heart.

That would be my grand parents! Big. Band “Glen Miller” was always playing on their  wooden big stereo. I miss them (grand parents) very much. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Welk

this show on Sunday evenings along with, mutual of omaha's wild kingdom and if I wa super good I got to watch Disney! ❤️ 💋

21 hours ago, Happymon said:

Becoming invisible to most all women except those compensated for time and companionship or  who look like my grandmother. 

I think even the youngsters can relate to this comment. I remember my daughter saying when she first moved here...its not like texas mom, the guys dont come up and offer to buy you a drink or start convo. It's just the times or area i think. 

19 hours ago, BigBaldBlk said:

My Mom used to say, "when you're on a elevator and start humming the music and know the words....YOU are OLD!"  I'll still take this alternative than pushing daisies any day of the week. :cool:

After 46 years on the planet, I'll take this time in my life over any other time easy! 💋💋💋

On 7/29/2019 at 3:47 PM, Bit Banger said:

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Oh, did I say that out loud?

Distributor points?  That’s a good one.  What did he have to say about carburetors?   I remember designing an electronic ignition system for my boss’s 2-cycle go cart in the 70s.

Music is probably my biggest cultural tell.  But that makes me older than I am because I prefer the big band era stuff over the hard rock of my youth.

Physically it’s lack of wind at altitude.  Things have never quite been the same since they re-routed the plumbing in my heart.

I feel like like we all like the era before our era just as much because we grew up listening to it because of our parents. 💙

23 hours ago, Bigguy said:

I hurt when I get up in the morning. It's scary walking past the mirror in the bathroom. No energy. Worst is I can't get it all the way up any more.

That's what we're here for Bigguy. Lots of love to you!

20 hours ago, FuriousWeasel said:

Right now I'm watching a TV show that's older than me.  But not by much...

I'll be honest...i don't watch many tv shows older than me. I prefer the shows today. Great tv today. 😍

When I put peanuts in my glass bottle of Coke and my grandkids make throw up noises.  Coke bottled in Mexico using real sugar is the best.

When you see a young lady and afterwards chatting, age comes up and she replies your as old as my dad. :eek:

10 hours ago, Chrissy said:

MY siblings have no clue 😂

I have no clue what wagon trail is. 😂

Within the last few months when I rode RTD The Ride Bus eastbound towards Downtown through a neighborhood in northwest Denver, I saw a music store advertising "Old 97s" music. Sigh. Whatever happened to "Old 50s" music?

4 hours ago, mountainrider33 said:

There's one thing that doesn't change.  When I was a kid, cover bands would always sing Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffet, Beatles, etc.  I've walked by a few cover bands playing in the last couple of years and 30 years later, they're still playing those same songs.  It made me wonder why the newer cover bands aren't playing Bon Jovi, Poison, The Go-Go's, U2, Dire Straits, etc. for songs.

Edit:  Looked real quick on Youtube and actually found a cover band doing the Go-Go's, but I doubt many cover bands do 80's songs.

The vast majority of cover bands (I know, I'm in one) play music from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s, and later. What gets played depends on the venue, and it's clientele.

I'll admit I prefer 70s to 90s, cuz I'm old!

12 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

I have no clue what wagon trail is. 😂

A computer game on that big green screen in the 80's and some of the 90's we got to play on after we learned computer basics 😂

On 7/29/2019 at 3:13 PM, Hunter VanDyke said:

True! 🤣🤣🤣

You have NO reason to be wary of mirrors!:P

On 7/29/2019 at 3:16 PM, Seeker5280 said:

Talking to a young auto mechanic about changing out distributor points and condenser.

He looks at me and turns his head back and forth and says..............

“What are distributor points?”

I turned my back and walked away.

Try explaining to him what a timing light is... 

On 7/29/2019 at 2:02 PM, Hunter VanDyke said:

What makes you feel old? I went to get in the shower earlier, and usually I put on one of my spotify playlists or 80s music. Today I decided to put on the United States Top 50. Didn't know one damn song. Lol. Not only that, I didn't like one song either. I just kept thinking...damn I'm  getting old. Also thinking... damn I'm glad I didn't grow up in this generation. Also thinking...Damn saying that makes me sound old. 😂🤷‍♀️👍👩‍🦳

I feel old when I realize the music I listened to as a teen was called "Rock" at the time. Then it became "Classic Rock" and now, in some circles, it's called "Oldies". :(

1 minute ago, Just Another Guy said:

I feel old when I realize the music I listened to as a teen was called "Rock" at the time. Then it became "Classic Rock" and now, in some circles, it's called "Oldies". :(

But goodies 😂

How about when I was the remote control for my dad while also being skilled in adjusting rabbit ears depending on what channel of the 3 he settled on.