Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Favorite quotes or sayings

49 posts in this topic

So, the dove chooses to fly at night despite the predators that may want to consume her, but perhaps it is the dove that hungers and the night shall shiver in the end.

This is a quote that I saw on a signature here on TOB probably six years ago. I cannot remember who the user was that had this in their signature, but this quote has left quite the impression on me. I did some research on this quote, but was unable to locate an author. Anyways, whoever wrote that quote was a very special son of a bitch!;)

Which brings me to the topic at hand.

Quotes;

• ones that you like,
  • ones that you don't like
  • and anything in between.

Please and thank you!

:)

From the old western "Westward the Women":

"There's only two things in this world I'm askeered of...........and both of 'ems a good woman."

A few of my fave quotes:

"The definition of a good deal is when two people walk away un-happy"

"A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep" (Game of Thrones)

"If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas"

A few of my fave quotes:

"The definition of a good deal is when two people walk away un-happy"

"

Every book I read about the art of negotiation made it a priority the importance of win win situation......back to the drawing table !

"Yesterday's gone down the river and you can't get it back" - Lonesome Dove

"I think we are going to need a bigger boat" - Jaws

"To our wives and lovers, may they never meet" - Irish Toast

You're right Harpo, but the quote is about a win win. Every person/party/what have you in reality initially wants to get the better end of the deal (this is the constant fight) so, every person/party/what have you has a list of their must haves to meet their overall happiness (doesn't matter what it is i.e. money, service......) but, in reality where one person/party/what have you may benefit with their list of must haves, the other party may not, so.........negotiation. Slowly, or quickly (preferred) those must haves on the list begin to get taken off, and, somewhere you meet in the middle. The good deal is a still a win win in the end (as it should be, needs to be), but, no one person/party/or what have you is where they wanted to be before the negotiation process took place. Thus, "The definition of a good deal is when two people walk away un-happy"

"Yesterday is now a vision, tomorrow but a dream, and today's a real bitch"

"A soldier is better slain in battle, than alive and safe in flight"

- I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel - Maya Angelou

- No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change - Barbara De Angelis

- Honey's play me close like butter play toast - Biggie Smalls

- I'm the baddest! Takin' out all rookies, so forget Oreo's eat Cool J cookies - LL Cool J

Sex without love is a meaningless experience, but as far as meaningless experiences go it’s pretty damn good. -Woody Allen

I am a bicycle rider (among riding other things) and about the only quote I can ever remember is:

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." ~ JFK

“Just because you're naked doesn't mean you're sexy. Just because you're cynical doesn't mean you're cool.”

Tom Robbins

“You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.”

Woody Allen

I don’t think women are better than men, I think men are a lot worse than women. -Louis CK

I hate that one about an internet badass is a real world dweeb. That fire bug girl has a pretty good one though.

"The only power the government has, is to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking the law.

-Ayn Rand-

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine."

-Ayn Rand-

Magic

Sandra’s seen a leprechaun,

Eddie touched a troll,

Laurie danced with witches once,

Charlie found some goblins’ gold.

Donald heard a mermaid sing,

Susy spied an elf,

But all the magic I have Known

I’ve had to make myself.

~Shel Silverstein

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle"

"You will get what you believe you deserve"

...and, from the movie Blue Velvet:

"Fuck you, you fuckin' fuck!"

You can make more friends, in two months, by becoming interested in other people, than you can, in two years, by trying to get other people interested in you.

Dale Carnegie

Another interesting post from Ms. Destiny...

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things." -- Andy Dufresne in "The Shawshank Redemption" by Stephen King

"50% of life is pure chance. It's what you do with the other 50% that counts." --don't know who said it

"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger." Friedrick Nietzsche -- but this quote has been bandied about and should be read in the full context of Nietzsche's works.

"The only power the government has, is to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking the law.

-Ayn Rand-

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine."

-Ayn Rand-

Great quotes. Incidentally, objectivism holds that prostitution is a violation/perversion of the true nature of sex -- certainly looked way down upon by Ms. Rand. I don't necessarily agree with Rand on this point, and I don't think you must be in lock step with all of objectivism to admire Rand's works. A different thread altogether I suppose for a different board.

Several I have tried to remember and live by (not always so successfully)

1. Don't compromise yourself you are all you have got.

2. If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.

3. People will forget what you said and did but they will not forget how you made them feel.

"A boink in the bush is worth two in hand"

I don't remember who said it.:D

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”

― H.G. Wells, The Wife of Sir Isaac Harman

“Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.”

― Salvador Dalí

Several I have tried to remember and live by (not always so successfully)

1. Don't compromise yourself you are all you have got.

2. If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.

3. People will forget what you said and did but they will not forget how you made them feel.

I love 2 and 3!!!!

Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan.