Savoir Faire

Good Deeds

34 posts in this topic

Do you believe in doing good deeds/things? If so, do you EXPECT it to be returned to you in some way or the other? 

I don't expect anything for helping others. We all could use a little help in this world ! 

I recently became a donor for UNICEF. I want to be a good caring citizen in this world & help others in need when I can ! 

If you expect something from someone for helping them then you are not coming from the heart but out of greed. 

Speaking in terms outside of sw because I do expect to get an allowance for that :P

Outside of sw though, I appreciate those who are willing to give a helping hand for those in need. 

Edited by sunshinelovely

I feel good deeds are precisely that, expecting nothing in return except the good feeling of helping my fellow man/woman when they are in need.

Doing good deeds benefits both parties.  Generosity is its own reward and the giver should feel good about the giving.  If the good deed comes with expectations it misses the point of giving freely, expecting nothing in return.

I love doing for others. It’s not a good deed if expecting something in return. We all need help at different times. I’m a firm believer in what goes around comes around. Just be a good person.

17 hours ago, sb1212 said:

1. Yes

2. No. Service is its own reward.

SB12 that oh so good feeling that one gets when he or she feels they have helped someone in need of a favor/help. I am presented with opportunities to help people every single day and I love it. 

10 hours ago, Kaduk said:

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap......

What about the good deeds for FREE LOL..............

3 hours ago, Mustang87 said:

I'm afraid I side with Oscar Wilde on this one.

Hmmmm, which side is that? He has a ton of quotes..............

9 hours ago, sunshinelovely said:

I don't expect anything for helping others. We all could use a little help in this world ! 

I recently became a donor for UNICEF. I want to be a good caring citizen in this world & help others in need when I can ! 

If you expect something from someone for helping them then you are not coming from the heart but out of greed. 

Speaking in terms outside of sw because I do expect to get an allowance for that :P

Outside of sw though, I appreciate those who are willing to give a helping hand for those in need. 

Harlem we all could use a ton of help, thats for damn sure. Thinks about all the GREEDY people that I have helped LOL. I just helped a friend of mine who was SUPPOSEDLY STRANDED in Utah by wiring him some money. Now I didn't expect him to pay me back anytime soon but I cannot tell a lie, I definitely EXPECTED to get a THANK YOU phone call. I didn't get a call, I didn't get a text and I haven't heard from him since he got the money LMAO. I just thought I would share that. 

4 hours ago, average1 said:

Doing good deeds benefits both parties.  Generosity is its own reward and the giver should feel good about the giving.  If the good deed comes with expectations it misses the point of giving freely, expecting nothing in return.

AVG I am sorry, I EXPECT A THANK YOU when I help someone, thats just me....................I am going to help them whether or not they say it. Its not required but in my mind I EXPECT a person who has a heart and appreciates being helped would at least say THANK YOU....................... 

2 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

I love doing for others. It’s not a good deed if expecting something in return. We all need help at different times. I’m a firm believer in what goes around comes around. Just be a good person.

Ms Audrey I have helped out people my entire life. I am a HUGE behind the scenes type of guy that helps people who never know it was me who helped them. Its kinda like being Santa Clause or a modern day Robin Hood............ I agree with you when you say what goes around comes around. Sometimes people choose to try and destroy people that are good................Its what I call modern day HATING..............

4 hours ago, wglide2003 said:

I feel good deeds are precisely that, expecting nothing in return except the good feeling of helping my fellow man/woman when they are in need.

Dubbya G you took the words right out of my mouth..........................

I do, as long as it not expected. I guess, I  consider it, treating people with respect or how I want to be treated. Haven't you been in line at the store, and, the person in front of you, doesn't have quite enough to pay. Nothing wrong with adding a few bucks to help out. I don't consider a good deed, just respect. Can't take it with me! Right! 

On 3/27/2023 at 5:30 PM, tide32 said:

I do, as long as it not expected. I guess, I  consider it, treating people with respect or how I want to be treated. Haven't you been in line at the store, and, the person in front of you, doesn't have quite enough to pay. Nothing wrong with adding a few bucks to help out. I don't consider a good deed, just respect. Can't take it with me! Right! 

Tide when one EXPECTS it, that just takes away from the entire idea of doing a good service. The answer is yes to your question, I was just in line the other day at King Soopers when it snowed and this guy in front of me, his card would not work, so I just put what he was buying on my tab and sent him on his way. This same guy I saw him later riding his bike in the snow, so I pulled over, loaded him/bike up and gave him/bike a ride home. He thanked me and once again, we both were on our way. We can always take that good feeling with us no matter what................................ Thanks for your input...........

On 3/27/2023 at 0:59 PM, Savoir Faire said:

Hmmmm, which side is that? He has a ton of quotes..............

“No good deed goes unpunished,” said Oscar Wilde. But I suspect he was not the first to say it.

8 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

I am a believer in Karma.

]]][[[ I believe:: what-ever goes around  ]]][[[ comes around ]]][[[

8 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

I am a believer in Karma.

me too but she retired and I am happy for her.

Oh, wait, you mean the myth that people get back what they give and good things come to those that deserve them. If only!!!  My experience is that this is virtually never true. Usually quite the opposite.

As to good deeds.  If there is an expectation of ANYTHING in return - money, services, returned favors, anything - then it is NOT a good deed, it is a business transaction.  Good deeds are their own reward.

29 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

Oh, wait, you mean the myth that people get back what they give and good things come to those that deserve them. If only!!!  My experience is that this is virtually never true. Usually quite the opposite.

As to good deeds.  If there is an expectation of ANYTHING in return - money, services, returned favors, anything - then it is NOT a good deed, it is a business transaction.  Good deeds are their own reward.

Can't agree more! Good people are the one's that get the short end of the stick in life. It has never ceased to amaze me, how horrible people and companies get away with murder! Nuts how people who have a golden spoon in their mouth, are clueless to how hard life is! Unfortunately, the givers are the one's that get take advantage of the most.

When it comes to what-ever goes around, comes around. Only works for STD's and viruses IMO.

On 3/26/2023 at 5:59 PM, Savoir Faire said:

Do you believe in doing good deeds/things? If so, do you EXPECT it to be returned to you in some way or the other? 

It’s putting good karma out there for yourself! Whatever good you do will come back to you threefold!

Unfortunately, our species has become very accustom to turning the other cheek, when a “good deed” is placed in front of them.  Personally, I find joy, comparable to very little, when I surprise an individual in the service industry, (bartender etc.) with a sizable tip, for example.  As a strong believer that Karma rules all, the expectation of getting something back in return, it comes back around.

Doing good things, yes, expect something, no.  Give up a seat on the bus, open a door, help someone change a tire.  You never expect something in return.  It is just the right thing to do

8 hours ago, Fabiola said:

It’s putting good karma out there for yourself! Whatever good you do will come back to you threefold!

Ms Fabulous, I would definitely AGREE with you on this one...................I am a living WITNESS.........................Thanks for your input...........

5 hours ago, Elle Blake said:

Unfortunately, our species has become very accustom to turning the other cheek, when a “good deed” is placed in front of them.  Personally, I find joy, comparable to very little, when I surprise an individual in the service industry, (bartender etc.) with a sizable tip, for example.  As a strong believer that Karma rules all, the expectation of getting something back in return, it comes back around.

Ms Blake I must agree, I run into people every week that have what I call oil pumping in their veins vs blood. They are easy to spot LOL. They can't help themselves, they see something or someone thats doing GOOD and it just drives them nuts......................

2 hours ago, misconduct10 said:

Doing good things, yes, expect something, no.  Give up a seat on the bus, open a door, help someone change a tire.  You never expect something in return.  It is just the right thing to do

I EXPECT a thank you but if they choose to stay silent, thats fine with me as well........................

11 hours ago, Savoir Faire said:

Ms Fabulous, I would definitely AGREE with you on this one...................I am a living WITNESS.........................Thanks for your input...........

Always😘

You can put me in the believe in karma camp.  But I won't change my behavior to blend in with others to glom off of their good karma.  I'm not a karma chameleon.  But even if karma is not real, I like to live my life as if it is.  Basically I do good things when I can, and if someone does somthing bad to me I don't sweat it.  I know the universe will sort it out.  For example if I am driving and I let someone merge or change lanes in front of me, then the car behind that car sees the opening and zooms in and cuts me off.  I don't honk, or flip them off, or tailgate them, or turn on my brights (If it's night) or try to pass them so I can cut them off.  I just shake my head, and I know when they get home they will step on one of their kids legos with their bare feet. But what do I know? I also believe that if I don't wear my favourite team's jersey while watching the game they will lose.

Now for my hot take.  I agree with with what's been said, a good deed comes with no expectations. But when someone does a good deed then brags about it later, it sort of defeats the purpose.  To me when someone does that is seems like they are thirsty for accolades which is not what a good deed is about.  Just my 2 cents.  (Or 3.5 cents in this economy)