Calik8

What are you reading Or listening too.

47 posts in this topic

what book are you reading or listening too? Also do you enjoy audio books or do you like to see the words? 

Im currently listening too Voyager by Diana Gabaldon (third book in her outlander series)

I usually wait for the movie to come out. Lol  I don't have that much time to read,   other than a short article. Spent too much time in college reading things I didn't want to read. Still I have to go over tech manuals that I don't want to but need to read.

3 minutes ago, Alex Majors said:

I usually wait for the movie to come out. Lol  I don't have that much time to read,   other than a short article. Spent too much time in college reading things I didn't want to read. Still I have to go over tech manuals that I don't want to but need to read.

I love audible for that reason. I listen to it while I’m in the shower or right before bed

I would suggest the indigo court series by yasmine galore... Currently I am reading throne of glass by Sarah J Mass.... Both great series....

10 minutes ago, Calik8 said:

I love audible for that reason. I listen to it while I’m in the shower or right before bed

I have tv for that. It is what puts me to sleep.

Audio is great for long drives...big Stephen King fan and lately I’ve been watching season 3 of Mr Mercedes ... calik8 I hope you’re doing well:)

Just finished Stephen King's "Dr Sleep". Now I'm re-reading "Farenheit 451" by Kurt Vonnegut.

I love books! :)

39 minutes ago, pfunk said:

Just finished Stephen King's "Dr Sleep". Now I'm re-reading "Farenheit 451" by Kurt Vonnegut.

I love books! :)

How is Dr. Sleep? I’ve been wanting to read that one but haven’t yet...

2 minutes ago, Wrangler05 said:

How is Dr. Sleep? I’ve been wanting to read that one but haven’t yet...

It's quite good, but also long. I feel like I need to read it again, to remember all the details!

3 hours ago, Wrangler05 said:

Audio is great for long drives...big Stephen King fan and lately I’ve been watching season 3 of Mr Mercedes ... calik8 I hope you’re doing well:)

Agreed but I have a hard time with Stephen Kings righting style but listening I have better time with. 

Im well And glad to see your on the boreds!

3 hours ago, mountainrider33 said:

I do both, I absolutely love my Kindle Paperwhite but I also love my audible app.  I'm listening to "The Pen and the Sword" and reading "Seeker".  

I tried the first book of the Outlander series and thought she was a great author but her characters are more driven towards women readers.  if you like the main character in that book then you might also like the Red Queen series and Throne of Glass series.

Agreed that it’s very female pointed. 

My mother has the Throne of Glass series She like it a lot. Have to ask to barrow it!!

Currently listening to American Gods (10th anniversary edition with a full voice cast) by Neil Gaiman. 

I had just bought The Outsider by Stephen King then left it in my friends car when I was in FoCo last time. He just dropped it off, and I can't wait to sink my teeth in it tomorrow. 

I haven't done audio books for a number of years, but used to listen to them for long road trips with my (now) ex-wife. No more long road trips (or wife) and I've become a huge Kindle fan and use the library's e-catalog.  I read mysteries, detective novels and psychological thrillers.  Some favorite authors of mine are:  Jonathan and Faye Kellerman, Robert Crais, Robert Parker, Jeffrey Deaver, Lee Child, John Sanford, Michael Connelly.  Reading is how I unwind before falling asleep. I read about 3 books every 2 weeks.  

I like the touch and feel of real, bound books. I highlight and dog ear pages. I also usually have several going simultaneously. A large proportion of what I read would be considered "serious," but I also enjoy "airplane" books (e.g., Kellerman, Crais, etc).  Currently reading Darwin's Doubt.  The Cambrian Explosion makes my big head spin. 

1 hour ago, johnnydog said:

Robert Parker is my guilty pleasure

I've always enjoyed his books.  And have to say, I even like the novels done since his death.  His estate is handling it well and the new ones keep the heart and spirit of his characters.  I got to meet Robert Crais at a book signing and let him know that I enjoyed his Elvis Cole and Joe Pike novels, and that they touched me in similar ways to Robert Parker's Spencer novels, he replied that Robert Parker set the standard for him and was one of his literary heroes. 

2 hours ago, average1 said:

I've always enjoyed his books.  And have to say, I even like the novels done since his death.  His estate is handling it well and the new ones keep the heart and spirit of his characters.  

To each his own.  IMO, new guy couldn't carry Parker's Smith-Corona. 

Been listening to the latest blues CDs by Samantha Fish,Matthew Curry  and John Mayall. Rock CDs by Cherie Currie & Brie Howard Darling (excellent   ),and Hollywood Vampires "Rise."

Reading proofs of a book as well as Stephen King novels....oh,and reading the TOB board.

Currently reading The Gray Ghost by Clive Cussler. Not one of his better books; I'm having a hard time staying with it.

And yes, I'm an old fart. I like paper.

Absolutely love Audible... lm a  knowledge junky... dating myself I started with tapes then went to CD’s now Audible... listen to a little of everything...  biographies, self improvement, business... my latest is unfu*k yourself... and Stop doing that shit 2 really great books on personal perspective. I recommend them to all my clients. They are funny to the point and not your usual self help books but loaded with great information. 

I work overnights at a gym, and all the members ask me why I read...I tell them the brain is a muscle that needs a workout just as much as the rest of the body. Lol. 

I love the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn. 

Songs of America, by Jon Meacham and Tim McGraw.  It’s about music that helped shape our nation, from songs of the Revolution and later conflicts through the protests songs of the 60’s and 00’s.

Currently reading Beyond the Shadows. It's book 3 in the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. It's pretty good. A couple favorite authors are Brandon Sanderson and Greg Bear. Greg Bear, in particular, writes some of the most interesting and thought provoking sci-fi I've ever read.

Listening to the Mark Lindsay and Susan Cowsill duets Cd this week,really a good one. Also Southern Halo and Class Clayton.

Just finished reading “Driving Southwest Texas”, a travelogue about the Big Bend, Margaret, Alpine, Ft. Davis area.

I think a new online guitar course I just signed up for is going to consume a large portion of my future reading time.  I’ll still try to keep up with my authors list at storiesonline.net

One or my favorite books of all time is Lolita. Jeramy Irons reads it in the Audible version. I highly suggest it!

S