Calik8

How do you motivate yourself?

24 posts in this topic

For me Working for yourself has its ups but sometimes keep motivated some days are hard. Not because you don’t want to work but that lazy (15 yr old) part of you wants to stay in bed or on the couch and not do anything at all cuz you can. 

So the Question for those who work for them self full time. You ever just want to be lazy? Knowing you should to get up and try to get some work done but just can’t seem to do it? How do you get yourself up an motivated out of that.

HABIT!

I have to force myself off the couch after my 1st cup of coffee for guitar practice. Some days habit is the only thing that pushes.

Just now, Bit Banger said:

HABIT!

I have to force myself off the couch after my 1st cup of coffee for guitar practice. Some days habit is the only thing that pushes.

I can definitely relate to habit. Some days that’s just not enough motivation for me haha

“Only after all hope has been destroyed, may the true work begin.”  - The 17 Tenets of the Maw

But then Enya makes it real easy to just take a breath and stretch my muscles. 

Edited by Vassago
Fucking e’s

5 hours ago, Calik8 said:

For me Working for yourself has its ups but sometimes keep motivated some days are hard. Not because you don’t want to work but that lazy (15 yr old) part of you wants to stay in bed or on the couch and not do anything at all cuz you can. 

So the Question for those who work for them self full time. You ever just want to be lazy? Knowing you should to get up and try to get some work done but just can’t seem to do it? How do you get yourself up an motivated out of that.

Really Just a habit of Having a real life career as an Indy Contractor, Sometimes A Supervisor... I get up at 5 am Even on my days off, Have dogs to walk and I know unless I get up it will not get done..That pretty much does it for me LOL. 

4 hours ago, Vassago said:

“Only after all hope has been destroyed, may the true work begin.”  - The 17 Tenets of the Maw

At a certain point you come to terms with the fact that if you want to have a good life, its up to you to make it happen, because no outside forces are going to make that a reality for you.  The motivation for me lately has come from within. I was struggling for a little bit, but I've finally come out of my funk. Opening up and working with someone who has some serious insight into my personality and struggles, has helped me overcome what's been holding me back, by helping me remember that I'm truly a badass, and there is not much in life that I can't overcome. Thats what my history has shown me time and time again. Thats really all the motivation that I need. 💙

Getting out of bed and going in the morning gives me a sense of accomplishment( when the bed is made) and after exercising the hope that I'll be a little more acceptable that I currently am. wishful thinking

43 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

Really Just a habit of Having a real life career as an Indy Contractor, Sometimes A Supervisor... I get up at 5 am Even on my days off, Have dogs to walk and I know unless I get up it will not get done..That pretty much does it for me LOL. 

Yes Chrissy same on my end also! Acountablilty to doing both worlds! 😊 aroma therapy might work for you Calik8? Do you have essential oils? 

1 hour ago, airamericavet65 said:

Getting out of bed and going in the morning gives me a sense of accomplishment( when the bed is made) and after exercising the hope that I'll be a little more acceptable that I currently am. wishful thinking

As someone once said, “Making the bed 1st thing in the morning is a simple task which leave you with a sense of accomplishment as you go forward through your day.”

There’s also the “Why mess up a nice looking bed.”

Edited by Bit Banger

I work from home here in Denver for a couple weeks and then and then travel to the home office outside of Austin as needed.

I’m up at 6am, make the bed, walk across the hallway to my home office and turn in the computer. Usually work until 5 or 6 pm.

Some days I just want to stay in bed or surf the internet. But I know if I do, my work is still waiting for me and it has to be completed by a certain date. If I goof off, I will work til midnight sometimes to finish.  Hate that.

So I do have motivation to get moving in the mornings.

I’d say having clear goals in life & being excited to attain them keeps me going! What is it you desire? I like to write them down. Doing things outside of the hobby too that I’m passionate about and like to support.

Also it’s healthy to make sure you take self care days and not always work or you’ll drain yourself or lose motivation! I usually come back feeling refreshed & ready to go. A good drive into the mountains, a cabin or a beach trip whatever makes you feel good deep down. 

Oh & coffee...😅

I "retired" this yearI had 3 "careers" military 20 years, building launch pads for space ROCKETS 18 years and tax pro 19 years. Now I sleep til about 8:30, but then it is up and about. I still volenter and keep busy. I believe that if you don't keep going you'll degenarateI watched my father_in_law do just that. He was a comptroller for 30+ years. Then he sat down and quit everything and soon died..

4 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Yes Chrissy same on my end also! Acountablilty to doing both worlds! 😊 aroma therapy might work for you Calik8? Do you have essential oils? 

I don’t I’m considering going and doing a brain balance course to find what side of my brain is  predominate.so I can find the right things for me.

I’m going to work with some friends who work with  aromatherapy, sound therapy (sound healing) and yoga. They are working with me for healing.

2 hours ago, Leena_rose said:

I’d say having clear goals in life & being excited to attain them keeps me going! What is it you desire? I like to write them down. Doing things outside of the hobby too that I’m passionate about and like to support.

Also it’s healthy to make sure you take self care days and not always work or you’ll drain yourself or lose motivation! I usually come back feeling refreshed & ready to go. A good drive into the mountains, a cabin or a beach trip whatever makes you feel good deep down. 

Oh & coffee...😅

I absolutely love doing affirmations!!!

agreed self care is important  

Retirement is my motivation!  I have seen so many struggle and can hardly make it in their senior years. I want a nest egg, so I can lay by the pool, travel, or just do nothing without worrying about paying my utilities!

57 minutes ago, Riverboy said:

Retirement is my motivation!  I have seen so many struggle and can hardly make it in their senior years. I want a nest egg, so I can lay by the pool, travel, or just do nothing without worrying about paying my utilities!

Tax free investments! Roth accounts , long term Heath care. If you guys can afford it? Look into investing some time and money with a personal planner. Biggest question, what does it take to retire and can you see yourself do so? I don’t know about myself because since I was about 12 years old I was working. 

1 hour ago, Calik8 said:

I don’t I’m considering going and doing a brain balance course to find what side of my brain is  predominate.so I can find the right things for me.

I’m going to work with some friends who work with  aromatherapy, sound therapy (sound healing) and yoga. They are working with me for healing.

That’s wonderful Calik8! I do reiki😊

Retirement?

Living in senior communities, often as the youngster (my wife was a decade olde than I), I’ve seen many who reach that goal too frail to enjoy life.  Many retire only to be struck down (or their partners) by illness.  Goals and lifestyles change.  I travel, a lot, storing memories for when I can’t.

I guess when you boil it down, money is what motivates us all.  If you don't have it, you would like it.  Once you have it,  you can get things you want.  My customers come first 6 days a week and a close second on the 7th day. I have to keep them happy or I have no money. It is as simple as that.

I have been self-employed for almost 19 years now, after being in a very regimented career for the previous 10.  Self-motivation really is the key to success when you are solely responsible for your own progress and financial survival, not to mention the well-being of a family.  Self-employment is not for everyone, and you have to be honest with yourself.  "to thine own self be thru."  I personally set my alarm for early every morning and make sure I have done something productive before 7:30 am and then let the rest of the day flow from that.  I also give my self a half or full day off, (sometimes as little as an hour ;)) at lease once a week. Find little way to motivate yourself, set achievable goals, remove distractions, hold yourself accountable and you should be fine.

I've been self-employed for 30 years and have discovered the wisdom in my (self-employed) Dad's often-repeated comment that "To be successfully self-employed, your boss has to be an complete asshole."

By that he means, you have to make yourself get up every day at 5:30, when every cell in your body wants to hit the "snooze" button, and you have to be willing to finish up that one important project at 6:00 on Friday afternoon when everyone else is heading to the tavern.  You have to be able to make yourself do it - there is no one else to make you do it.

Some folks can do it, other's can't.

Sometimes I really admire those who can't.

1 hour ago, BadBoy said:

I've been self-employed for 30 years and have discovered the wisdom in my (self-employed) Dad's often-repeated comment that "To be successfully self-employed, your boss has to be an complete asshole."

By that he means, you have to make yourself get up every day at 5:30, when every cell in your body wants to hit the "snooze" button, and you have to be willing to finish up that one important project at 6:00 on Friday afternoon when everyone else is heading to the tavern.  You have to be able to make yourself do it - there is no one else to make you do it.

Some folks can do it, other's can't.

Sometimes I really admire those who can't.

I absolutely loved your response. Thank you for being the one to speak it loud and clear!

20 minutes ago, Kandi Apple said:

I absolutely loved your response. Thank you for being the one to speak it loud and clear!

Agreed Thank you!!

good motivation reminders

Edited by Calik8