mustang

Why is uber "better" than a taxi?

36 posts in this topic

I did not want to hijack an existing thread, but why do folks prefer Uber over a taxi cab?  When I need transportation that requires 3 stops, I hail a cab, tell the driver the three stops I want to make, and in which order, and the cabby waits at each stop for me to come back and go to the next.  The meter keeps running and when my "trip" is completed, I pay the meter, provide the appropriate tip and go on my way.  Based on what I read earlier, it is far more complex to do the same trip with an Uber.   Am I missing something?

Edited by mustang
typo

The difference is the price, cabs are expensive, Alain since Uber came in to Denver so you see many cabs around?

6 hours ago, stevie-2249 said:

The difference is the price, cabs are expensive, Alain since Uber came in to Denver so you see many cabs around?

I don't live in Denver and based on my last experience (non hobby) a I am not likely to even visit anywhere west of I-25 anytime soon,  The question was a generic one.  I \t has been many years since I was reliant on anyone for transportation, I am now either driving to my destination or I rent a vehicle when I get to my destination.  It just seemed a bit like a cluster fuck tha way I was reading about how you have to arrange for a multiple stop trip with uber.

19 hours ago, mustang said:

When I need transportation...I hail a cab,

Am I missing something?

Certainly so in NYC, Chicago or some other east coast metropolis.  In Denver, you'll likely hail a hearse before a cab. 

It’s the price point, convenience, and they actually show up, when they say their going to show.

Uber is actually very easy to use for passengers and you don't have to wait more that 5-10 minutes typically for an Uber whereas a taxi you may wait 2-3 hours and pay more.

Adding multiple stops in Uber is very easy through the Uber app.  When you are requesting a ride in the Uber app, you have the option at your finger tips to add stops.

i have a lot to say about this, but you'll probably have to ask me in person.  i definitely encourage most anyone to use more modes of transportation than they currently do.

Since I stopped driving I have become very dependent on Uber/Lyft for transportation. I feel like it would be impossible for me to get on a normal bus because of my vision. Uber and Lyft are not perfect. However front door pick up and drop off works great for my needs. I don’t see Taxi very often anymore. 

I have, literally, never used an Uber in my life. When I'm in an unfamiliar city, I use a cab. I mean, how did people get around before Uber? 

On 7/1/2023 at 2:31 AM, 2Big said:

I have, literally, never used an Uber in my life. When I'm in an unfamiliar city, I use a cab. I mean, how did people get around before Uber? 

Taxis are fading out. I think there are a few private companies still around. If you have a smartphone? Download Lyft and Uber apps into your phone along with your info! banking. Use a credit card not yan our debit cardI You ca purchase Uber/Lyftgift card to use. Someone gave me  a Uber gift card as a tip just recently🤩

10 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Taxis are fading out. I think there are a few private companies still around. If you have a smartphone? Download Lyft and Uber apps into your phone along with your info! banking. Use a credit card not yan our debit cardI You ca purchase Uber/Lyftgift card to use. Someone gave me  a Uber gift card as a tip just recently🤩

Don't use your debit card use a credit card or get a card use a credit card or  a disposable download card. There is too much out there in the world and the thieves would love to get ahold of your Banking information

Edited by Kali Sensual Reiki

I've yet to use Uber/Lyft... Also have not used any of the food delivery services yet either

I believe utilizing Uber is more cost-effective and safer compared to taking a traditional taxi.

Edited by Veronicaturbay

I find Uber/Lyft more convent and responsive than taxis.  Safer? IDK

Uber and Lyft run background and driving records checks on all drivers once a year.

Additionally, once a week when I log into Uber to drive, I have to take a picture and submit it before I can go online to drive.

i don't drive. when i had extra money i would use uber / lyft. i would only need to wait like 5-10 minutes for a ride. you can reserve a ride for a later time if needed. adding stops to your ride is easy once you figure out how to use the apps. once i took a taxi once and i realized that it cost more than an uber / lyft.  now they have ai cars that don't need drivers! crazy! 

On 1/28/2024 at 11:25 AM, ilovewomen said:

Uber and Lyft run background and driving records checks on all drivers once a year.

Additionally, once a week when I log into Uber to drive, I have to take a picture and submit it before I can go online to drive.

I always feel safe as a rider in Uber or Lyft! It is very reliable and I have never had a real problem with any of my drivers.  I was told by a driver that they were having to update their records with Uber all the time. So, that shows me that drivers are having to stay up on their information which shows active accountability with headquarters as well as drivers @ilovewomen which scored point for you in my book! 

3 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

I always feel safe as a rider in Uber or Lyft! It is very reliable and I have never had a real problem with any of my drivers.  I was told by a driver that they were having to update their records with Uber all the time. So, that shows me that drivers are having to stay up on their information which shows active accountability with headquarters as well as drivers @ilovewomen which scored point for you in my book! 

Yup I feel safe riding with Uber / Lyft as well. The only thing I hated was the small talk. But I had one Uber where I could control the temperature/ noise before I got in. That was nice. How do y’all feel about these AI cars? Ever been in one? I wouldn’t mind giving it a try. What is the world becoming? So many technological advances! 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, sunshinelovely said:

Yup I feel safe riding with Uber / Lyft as well. The only thing I hated was the small talk. But I had one Uber where I could control the temperature/ noise before I got in. That was nice. How do y’all feel about these AI cars? Ever been in one? I wouldn’t mind giving it a try. What is the world becoming? So many technological advances! 

I am sure they’re safe. Just not sure about riding with the Invisible Man 😂😂 it is great to see you again, @Sunshinelovely!

Edited by Kali Sensual Reiki

2 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

I am sure they’re safe. Just not sure about riding with the Invisible Man 😂😂 it is great to see you again, @Sunshinelovely!

Thank you dear! It’s great to see you too! I think the AI cars are so cool… just shows how much AI is becoming more relative in the modern world. Crazy to think about. 

12 hours ago, sunshinelovely said:

Thank you dear! It’s great to see you too! I think the AI cars are so cool… just shows how much AI is becoming more relative in the modern world. Crazy to think about. 

Possibly a good stock market investment? On many fronts it really scares me! That SY FI vibe of Artificial Intelligence taking over! 😱 you are welcome! 🥰

where are the taxis at to hail? i never see a taxi but im tired of ubers nonsense. they never know where the correct airport drop off or pick up is and i still get charged charged a service fee for 'wasting their time' bc they don't know where the correct pickup/drop areas are at the airport (dia) one guy dropped me off in oncoming traffic at the westin (dia) and said this is the drop and basically to get out his car. i told the guy today, i was at door 506 for pickup at arrivals. he said there is no door 506 and left and i was charged. i was actually charged 2 times today for 'wasting their time'. smh. but i never saw a taxi or i would have hailed it.

1 hour ago, Western ~P said:

where are the taxis at to hail? i never see a taxi but im tired of ubers nonsense. they never know where the correct airport drop off or pick up is and i still get charged charged a service fee for 'wasting their time' bc they don't know where the correct pickup/drop areas are at the airport (dia) one guy dropped me off in oncoming traffic at the westin (dia) and said this is the drop and basically to get out his car. i told the guy today, i was at door 506 for pickup at arrivals. he said there is no door 506 and left and i was charged. i was actually charged 2 times today for 'wasting their time'. smh. but i never saw a taxi or i would have hailed it.

Now that sucks I will be riding Lyft/Uber up to M I this summer

I used Uber one time in 2022.  Never again!!I

landed at the Springs airport at 9:30pm. Despite the app telling me that there three cars within 10 min it took over 30 for one to arrive and then she had absolutely no idea how to get to my address. For whatever reason she could not make sense of the directions on her phone. She got frustrated and then angry with me. Once she finally figured it out, she told me I lived too far and would have to call a different driver. Dropped me off at Rudy's BBQ 31st and US 24. App tells me there is a driver less then 10 minutes away. I called, he was there in about 18 min. Finally got home just after 12:30pm.

Got charged for the entire trip from the airport to my home address by both drivers. Called Uber several times, told them my story, completed a form online at least twice and got nothing. Thought about continuing to fight it but did not need the brain damage.  

App is off my pone and as I said, Never again!!! 

1 hour ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

landed at the Springs airport at 9:30pm. Despite the app telling me that there three cars within 10 min it took over 30 for one to arrive and then she had absolutely no idea how to get to my address. For whatever reason she could not make sense of the directions on her phone. She got frustrated and then angry with me. Once she finally figured it out, she told me I lived too far and would have to call a different driver. Dropped me off at Rudy's BBQ 31st and US 24. App tells me there is a driver less then 10 minutes away. I called, he was there in about 18 min. Finally got home just after 12:30pm.

Got charged for the entire trip from the airport to my home address by both drivers. Called Uber several times, told them my story, completed a form online at least twice and got nothing. Thought about continuing to fight it but did not need the brain damage.  

sounds abt right. a carbon copy of a few of my incidents w/them. i took an uber to the airport in texas. he took me to the wrong terminal. finally dropped me off at the correct departure. while waiting for take off, i notice on the app he never noted he dropped me off. the app is showing me still riding around w/him when i was no longer w/him in his vehicle. tried contacting uber and they blew me off. ofc i was still charged MORE for an extended ride and some toll fees for wherever he was driving while i was still being charged and im minding my business sitting waiting to depart at the airport. i let it go bc there really was no resolution in dealing with them. never could get a live person. its just a chat bot on the other end.

3 hours ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

1 hour ago, Western ~P said:

sounds abt right. a carbon copy of a few of my incidents w/them. i took an uber to the airport in texas. he took me to the wrong terminal. finally dropped me off at the correct departure. while waiting for take off, i notice on the app he never noted he dropped me off. the app is showing me still riding around w/him when i was no longer w/him in his vehicle. tried contacting uber and they blew me off. ofc i was still charged MORE for an extended ride and some toll fees for wherever he was driving while i was still being charged and im minding my business sitting waiting to depart at the airport. i let it go bc there really was no resolution in dealing with them. never could get a live person. its just a chat bot on the other end.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've used Uber may 6-8 times, here in Colorado Springs and during multiple trips to Phoenix, and never had any problems.

When I do tell my Uber story almost everyone is surprised by how it all played out. I hear nothing positive reports and great experiences. I am happy for them. Karma was pissed at me that night for some reason. Life goes on. 

22 hours ago, Western ~P said:

Sorry you had problems with your Uber driver.

Not sure what you mean by “dropped off in incoming traffic at the Westin”.

Dropoffs are curbside at the doors for the airlines.

All pickups are on level 5, island 5, zones H & I. We are not allowed to pickup curbside at specific door numbers unless you require accessible help (handicapped).

Taxi pickups are on level 5, island 2….I think. In Denver we don’t have taxis just driving around where you can hail them like you can in NYC.

I will be using Lyft to go to the airport (DIA)  to fly to MI for O& M training,  (Orientation and mobility). Super excited! 

On 4/15/2024 at 9:26 PM, Western ~P said:

i agree this is quite frustrating. i've had the problems at the airport so i decided to take one of the cabs from there because i had no choice, the uber kept taking my money whenever i would request a different driver because the other one didn't know where to pick me up from! just a waste of money.