Savoir Faire

Name a famous person/celebrity that you met but didn't know they were famous at first

57 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2021 at 3:21 AM, Savoir Faire said:

LOL @ you almost running into Jerry being everything except a sweet moment...............I wasn't a student at the University of Nebraska but I definitely had my share of fun in good old Lincoln. Sloan Lake was another fun place, them Latinas had me hooked for a few years. Mr Moment what exactly was occupying you and causing these close calls?

Yes, either of these were definitely not sweet moments. I do not remember what was on my mind, except to say both of these rare circumstances caught me by surprise.

I just accidentally came upon Bob Dylan's birthday party while getting dinner in Santa Fe recently and walking back to my car :) At first when I heard the music I thought to myself, that can't really be him. But then I saw a sign that said "Bob's birthday" and followed it. There he was with a very small crowd. So of course I joined! And got to have a nice convo. 

My famous encounter was with Steve Martin performing at the CSU student union in 1974 before he became famous. He was hilarious! 

I met and chatted with George Benson for a while. I had no idea who he was, just thought he was a really cool guy. Someone told me later who he was.

I once took Secretary Chertoff and his wife out for a sunset sail. What was amazing about that was the secret service guys. There we’re two with me. One was holding “the football”. The others followed close behind in a high speed gunboat. The Secretary and his wife couldn’t have been nicer. At one point, the gun boat was blocking the Secretary’s view of the setting sun. I quietly asked the Secret Service guys if they could do anything about that. He immediately picked up a handheld and quietly said a few words. The gunboat pulled a 180 and repositioned to our stern. Awesome!

12 hours ago, LightningP said:

I once took Secretary Chertoff and his wife out for a sunset sail. What was amazing about that was the secret service guys. There we’re two with me. One was holding “the football”. The others followed close behind in a high speed gunboat. The Secretary and his wife couldn’t have been nicer. At one point, the gun boat was blocking the Secretary’s view of the setting sun. I quietly asked the Secret Service guys if they could do anything about that. He immediately picked up a handheld and quietly said a few words. The gunboat pulled a 180 and repositioned to our stern. Awesome!

My apologies...Who is Secretary Chertoff?

And what was he doing with "the football"? I would have thought that the football would be with the president of the U.S.

22 hours ago, Leena_rose said:

I just accidentally came upon Bob Dylan's birthday party while getting dinner in Santa Fe recently and walking back to my car :) At first when I heard the music I thought to myself, that can't really be him. But then I saw a sign that said "Bob's birthday" and followed it. There he was with a very small crowd. So of course I joined! And got to have a nice convo. 

Leena how lucky were you to be at this particular place at that particular time. I have never had the pleasure of meeting or seeing him live. Did you get to hear him sing Mr Tambourine?

21 hours ago, Skg said:

My famous encounter was with Steve Martin performing at the CSU student union in 1974 before he became famous. He was hilarious! 

Steve was the man. Loved seeing him do The King Tut. I never had the pleasure of meeting or seeing him in person either. Now you got me wanting to do the King Tut.....

15 hours ago, Bigguy said:

I met and chatted with George Benson for a while. I had no idea who he was, just thought he was a really cool guy. Someone told me later who he was.

Big how freaking cool was that. I bet when you met him he was smiling the whole time LOL. He reminds me of the joker, he has a permanent smile on his face at all times. I have met George a few times and he is a cool guy for sure. I love that song Masquerade by him.......................

13 hours ago, LightningP said:

Lightning you was hanging with Mr Homeland Security that sounds awesome. I know of him very well but never met him either. LOL @ one was holding the football. Great story.....

4 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

My apologies...Who is Secretary Chertoff?

And what was he doing with "the football"? I would have thought that the football would be with the president of the U.S.

He was our second Secretary of Homeland Security under GW Bush. I thought the same about the football, but they explained that at times, there can be more than one “out there.” That’s about all I got though! There were guns everywhere too. Lol

19 hours ago, LightningP said:

He was our second Secretary of Homeland Security under GW Bush. I thought the same about the football, but they explained that at times, there can be more than one “out there.” That’s about all I got though! There were guns everywhere too. Lol

Thanks for the clarification.

On 10/4/2021 at 6:19 PM, Bigguy said:

Lucky! Love his music!

I've worked with a lot of famous people and interviewed more. As far as not recognizing a famous person on first sight that only happened once and that was the band Motley Crue.They had performed at the Rsinbow,Rainbow, in Denver a couple more days. They came into Shotgun Willie's during my shift as a DJ.They only had one lp out at the time . I had to be told that the guy standing by my booth,requesting songs was Mick Mars.

On 10/21/2021 at 1:10 PM, JRWolfe said:

I've worked with a lot of famous people and interviewed more. As far as not recognizing a famous person on first sight that only happened once and that was the band Motley Crue.They had performed at the Rsinbow,Rainbow, in Denver a couple more days. They came into Shotgun Willie's during my shift as a DJ.They only had one lp out at the time . I had to be told that the guy standing by my booth,requesting songs was Mick Mars.

Uh oh, not the infamous "Smoking in the boys room" crew...................I think they are scheduled for a tour in Denver this year but I could be wrong.... Hmmm, I had a few good friends that worked at Shotguns...............Wish I had known you was the DJ, I would have said hello LOL......... Awesome story Mr Wolfe......

I ran into Allen West a few weeks ago LOL. The guy seemed paranoid for some reason, I didn't know he was who he was until later. I had been talking to him earlier about traveling. The way I found out about him was he had left some paperwork on the bench we were sitting on and I asked the ticket agent to make sure this guy gets it prior to him boarding his plane. She told me who he was and LOL it all of a sudden made sense why he was so paranoid/scary...................

15 minutes ago, Savoir Faire said:

Uh oh, not the infamous "Smoking in the boys room" crew...................I think they are scheduled for a tour in Denver this year but I could be wrong.... Hmmm, I had a few good friends that worked at Shotguns...............Wish I had known you was the DJ, I would have said hello LOL......... Awesome story Mr Wolfe......

I ran into Allen West a few weeks ago LOL. The guy seemed paranoid for some reason, I didn't know he was who he was until later. I had been talking to him earlier about traveling. The way I found out about him was he had left some paperwork on the bench we were sitting on and I asked the ticket agent to make sure this guy gets it prior to him boarding his plane. She told me who he was and LOL it all of a sudden made sense why he was so paranoid/scary...................

I would be scared as fuck, if you were scoping my paperwork on a bench!! WTF!!!

57 minutes ago, Caressa Duval said:

I would be scared as fuck, if you were scoping my paperwork on a bench!! WTF!!!

You might want to re-read the original post.

I read that SF took the papers left behind to the gate agent for return to the original owner, who told SF about his ID.  Not that SF scoped out the papers.

I don't remember exactly who they were, or even what year it was....

But when I was about 10-12, family went to Disney World for a week.  Me and my brothers were throwing a football back and forth one night along that lake.  A couple guys came over and played with us a for a bit, just a couple minutes, then they were called back to their wives and families.  

A minute later another guy comes over and gives us the whole "do you know who that was?"  We didn't so he explained... You see, this the last week of January we went.. Yeah we threw the ball with a couple members of that year's Super Bowl champion team.

19 hours ago, FuriousWeasel said:

I don't remember exactly who they were, or even what year it was....

But when I was about 10-12, family went to Disney World for a week.  Me and my brothers were throwing a football back and forth one night along that lake.  A couple guys came over and played with us a for a bit, just a couple minutes, then they were called back to their wives and families.  

A minute later another guy comes over and gives us the whole "do you know who that was?"  We didn't so he explained... You see, this the last week of January we went.. Yeah we threw the ball with a couple members of that year's Super Bowl champion team.

FW isn't that just DANDY............ How people come into contact with one another and until you actually are aware of who the famous person is, you see that they are just as REGULAR as we are LOL.............I was in good old Nebraska and my co worker was from Wisconsin. He didn't give a hoot where he was, if he saw him some animal game, he would go into his hunt mode. To make this story short, I was riding with him on our way to work and we seen this Deer hanging in this protected no hunting area. This guy is bad ass, we pull over, he gets suited up and tells me to come back and pick him up in about 30 minutes. I returned and the guy had killed the Deer, covered himself up in snow, gutted or did whatever he had to do and I picked the guy up................As we were leaving, this big guy comes running at us LOL yelling I saw what you did and these are protected animals you son of a bitch.............My Co worker gets out of the car and I am like dude, lets just go you are in the wrong LOL, he yells at the big guy and says who the fuck are you and the big guy says he is Bob Gibson. I was like oh my goodness, thats one of the greatest pitchers of all time.....................I grabbed my co worker because he would have shot the guy but we got out of there and luckily nobody was hurt...............

Back in the 70's pulled up to a red light on Broadway just south of downtown late one night.  In the lane next to me in a corvette was Larry Henning and Nick Bockwinkel. Windows were rolled down and we exchanged "Hi's" with them. Old timers here will remember Larry Henning and Nick Bockwinkel.

16 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

Back in the 70's pulled up to a red light on Broadway just south of downtown late one night.  In the lane next to me in a corvette was Larry Henning and Nick Bockwinkel. Windows were rolled down and we exchanged "Hi's" with them. Old timers here will remember Larry Henning and Nick Bockwinkel.

ILW I cannot tell a lie, I had to look up both of those guys because I was not familiar with either one by name. After doing further research, I discovered they both were huge guys, one being 275 lbs and the other 240 lbs. I could only imagine them standing out in their corvette. Them both being professional wrestlers, I bet was a site to see huh? Great story, I love reading other people's stories. Thanks Bro............

6 hours ago, Savoir Faire said:

ILW I cannot tell a lie, I had to look up both of those guys because I was not familiar with either one by name. After doing further research, I discovered they both were huge guys, one being 275 lbs and the other 240 lbs. I could only imagine them standing out in their corvette. Them both being professional wrestlers, I bet was a site to see huh? Great story, I love reading other people's stories. Thanks Bro............

My wife and I had actually taken my mother in law to watch AWA wrestling that night and both of them were on the card.  My mother in law actually cornered one of the ushers to complain about how the referees were letting the "bad guys" get away with cheating.

There definitely wasn't any room in the corvette with both of them in it.

8 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

My wife and I had actually taken my mother in law to watch AWA wrestling that night and both of them were on the card.  My mother in law actually cornered one of the ushers to complain about how the referees were letting the "bad guys" get away with cheating.

There definitely wasn't any room in the corvette with both of them in it.

LOL @ your mother in law............That definitely had to be hilarious watching her complain. Two big guys side by side jockeying for position in a small convertible LOL...... Very funny, thanks for the laugh.......

My true friends in life as well as my family, have shared with me what is most important to live  a well balance life with honesty, and integrity! We support  each other. Sharing through the difficult as well as the The triumphs life gives us! 🥰🥰🥰

Nothing else matters to me! Laughing because my friends know me well, I don’t know any of their personal names of those actors or sports, political people anymore!  Only, the characters they portray on the silver screen. My thinking only. You enjoy fallowing them. I rather fallow my friends! 🥰

Wow,some great stories here...My first celebrity was Jack Nicholson when I was 13.I was having a party and my mom and dad invited him for a drink. nobody too famous other than Dad meeting OJ simpson before his downfall.

When living in Florida- first charity dinner

Michael Irvin-

Ted Hendrick- My mom dropped his super bowl ring into a glass of wine

Bo Shembeckler- Couch of the FAU owls for a while

Mark Duper

Dwight Stevenson-Tackle for the dolphins

Chuck Lorre

Allison Janey

James MacNeil- RB for Jets-

Edited by lurkernomore757

1 hour ago, lurkernomore757 said:

Wow,some great stories here...My first celebrity was Jack Nicholson when I was 13.I was having a party and my mom and dad invited him for a drink. nobody too famous other than Dad meeting OJ simpson before his downfall.

When living in Florida- first charity dinner

Michael Irvin-

Ted Hendrick- My mom dropped his super bowl ring into a glass of wine

Bo Shembeckler- Couch of the FAU owls for a while

Mark Duper

Dwight Stevenson-Tackle for the dolphins

Chuck Lorre

Allison Janey

James MacNeil- RB for Jets-

Oh no not "Mr You Can't Handle the Truth" LOL..............Love me some Jack....... Oh my goodness, you met The Juice too? Michael Irvin was pretty good. Lurker you have a nice list of famous folks there........ 

So, like 3+ decades ago...

I was sitting in the little European cafe just off the square in Santa Fe.  Who steps into the takeout ice cream line but Robert Redford.  All the women in the restaurant nearly faint.  The lady in front of him pays her bill, takes her ice cream cone, and walks back in about 10 seconds later.  It seems as though somehow, she misplaced her ice cream cone.  Without missing a beat, Robert Redford says, "Ma'am, it's in your purse with your change."  I though the poor lady was going to die of embarrassment!