Bit Banger

Add vs. Ad

40 posts in this topic

Add = Short for addition, a mathematical operation.

Ad = Short for advertisement

Sorry, but my brain is in overload 🥴

To, too, two

know, no

their, there, they’re 

sense, since

soul, sole 

Thank you professors, but some of us talk into our phones to write these replies and the phone has its own way of spelling things and most often I don't go back to double-check Grammer and spelling errors.   So I apologize now for ALL my future spelling errors to all those who give a sh!t....

Have a blessed Memorial Day

In 4th grade I was the spelling champion of my grade school...that included 5th and 6th graders.

I try not to be a spelling nazi, but sometimes you just have pull out the paddle and give a few seats in the butt...and yes the Principal and Vice Principal would administer seats with that paddle.  It was acceptable  back in the 50’s & 60’s☹️

Who gives a damn about how people write, as long as you know what they are saying, 

I pay attention to those nuances, in all domains. If your field involves working with seven, eight, nine figures, and you are interacting with hyper-intelligent individuals, you need to play at their level. I find that the more precise you are at communicating, the more accurately you can present ideas, the more effective you are at influencing and motivating others, the more money you earn, the more you have to spend on things like six-figure sports cars - or this hobby.

Squeeze verses squeaze.

Why does it matter?

Back in the day when I was a working stiff I wrote project documents (proposals, specifications, design, and user manuals).  I also wrote software in several languages. Precise language was very important.  The difference between ‘will’ and ‘shall’ mattered. There is a legend of a rocket crashing because of a missing semicolon in the days of FORTRAN. 

4 hours ago, stevie-2249 said:

Who gives a damn about how people write, as long as you know what they are saying, 

Depends.  If you are a fan of 15 minute get in get off get out it makes zero difference what-so-ever.  If you are a fan of two or more hours including intelligent conversation about a variety of topics between bursts of activity, spelling, grammar, etc. give a great indication of whether that is likely with some providers.  There is no right or wrong in what you want, but what one looks for in ads (and posts!) varies greatly depending on what one wants in sessions.

so far leaving out my favorite - discreet vs discrete. :unsure:

19 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

To, too, two

know, no

their, there, they’re 

sense, since

soul, sole 

clothes, close.

My biggest pet peeve would be 

wat or wot or wut instead of WHAT. 

The word “what” doesn’t need abbreviation or to become short hand. It’s four letters.... I can understand if there is a language barrier or you are fluent in typonese like myself as a result of a physical handicap, voice to text, spell check has a concussion again,  or even dyslexia. When I see wat, wot, wut I see lazy and careless if the other issues I just listed aren’t in play. Watch out for those homophones and homographs, they are indeed tricky. Especially if English is not the persons first language

2549E7E9-0A5A-4F12-889C-1725CF9FAB15.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Octavia said:

Watch out for those homophones and homographs, they are indeed tricky. Especially if English is not the persons first language

I forgot to include my short list.

Brake - break

a lot - allot (I’m guilty of abusing this one when in a hurry) 

Than - then

Scent - sent - cent

2 hours ago, Octavia said:
3 hours ago, Octavia said:

Watch out for those homophones and homographs, they are indeed tricky. Especially if English is not the persons first language

I forgot to include my short list.

Brake - break

a lot - allot (I’m guilty of abusing this one when in a hurry) 

Than - then

Scent - sent - cent

I will resist the urge to make assumptions about your intent with your new avatar.  Current wide spread use of that hand sign not withstanding - what is your meaning/intent for it?

6 hours ago, gr8owl said:

I will resist the urge to make assumptions about your intent with your new avatar.  Current wide spread use of that hand sign not withstanding - what is your meaning/intent for it?

Is the OK sign supposed to be something bad now?

Yes, you should strive to do the best when you are a rocket scientist or writing contracts for multi-million dollar contracts. Just do your best, when you do anything in general. I only judge people after I have known them a bit. Not everyone has been blessed with the same opportunities or learning ability in life. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

52 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

Is the OK sign supposed to be something bad now?

Its retarded as hell but I remember hearing some bs about it being racist now..... not joking either, there was something going around about the ok sign being associated with white supremacy.... very sad how EVERYTHING has to turn into a race thing or something offensive....

2 hours ago, Strange_Ice said:

Its retarded as hell but I remember hearing some bs about it being racist now..... not joking either, there was something going around about the ok sign being associated with white supremacy.... very sad how EVERYTHING has to turn into a race thing or something offensive....

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/26/764728163/the-ok-hand-gesture-is-now-listed-as-a-symbol-of-hate

Very sad!!! 😡🙁😡

Edited by Bit Banger

10 hours ago, Strange_Ice said:

very sad how EVERYTHING has to turn into a race thing or something offensive....

Very sad how putting up our middle finger means f***, but we have all adapted to know this.  Hand symbols have been turned into horrible meaning of hate since the beginning.  As times change, so must we.  A gesture or symbol can change meanings over the decades. No reason to complain that one symbol now has changed meaning unless you are deaf or hard of hearing.  The deaf community is the one that has to struggle with their sign language being stolen and the meanings of their signs mutilated. Included is a long list of signs that now means something racist or hate driven. 

I  personally thought her avatar was  the international sign for "small penis". Now that is a sign women need on girls night out, before we take a man home from the bar. :D

hmmmmm maybe it now has triple meanings, it's "okay" that "white supremacists" have "small penises".

https://www.adl.org/hate-symbols?cat_id[153]=153

(%$)@!*?>********+_?"&^5$#@19*****

Read lots of cussing into the above.

The OK sign is now a symbol of racism?  Give me a F******G break.

People need to get over themselves and quit being so effing butt hurt over the least little thing.

It seems like no matter what we say, do or don't do, someone is gong to get pissy and butt hurt.

You have the right wing trying to create FUD.  You have the left wing trying to create FUD.

Instead of trying to find something wrong with someone else, how about we all try to get along together?

The idiocrasy of everything is getting to be too much.

Rant over for the next few minutes.

Edited by ilovewomen

38 minutes ago, Caressa Duval said:

Very sad how putting up our middle finger means f***, but we have all adapted to know this.  Hand symbols have been turned into horrible meaning of hate since the beginning.  As times change, so must we.  A gesture or symbol can change meanings over the decades. No reason to complain that one symbol now has changed meaning unless you are deaf or hard of hearing.  The deaf community is the one that has to struggle with their sign language being stolen and the meanings of their signs mutilated. Included is a long list of signs that now means something racist or hate driven. 

I  personally thought her avatar was  the international sign for "small penis". Now that is a sign women need on girls night out, before we take a man home from the bar. :D

hmmmmm maybe it now has triple meanings, it's "okay" that "white supremacists" have "small penises".

https://www.adl.org/hate-symbols?cat_id[153]=153

The only one I recognize is just the ok sign.... and j dont care what ANYONE ELSE tries to say-- to me it's still the universal sign of "OK" or to say something is good (if someone else wants to get their panties in a bunch and get offended then that's THEIR problem not mine)

41 minutes ago, Caressa Duval said:

Cock blocking by ratting a guy out for having a small penis 😱

Now that is some hate speech!

😜😘😜

4 minutes ago, Strange_Ice said:

(if someone else wants to get their panties in a bunch and get offended then that's THEIR problem not mine)

A new mantra:

I am offended that you are offended!

For some reason the site loses its mind when i try to quote any post in this thread, so I will not.  That said, Ilovewomen, strange_ice, Bit etc. :

You are totally missing the point.  The hand sign in question being considered racist is NOT a case of some lefty group practicing some kind of so called "cancel culture" - a term i detest as it is thrown about to conveniently ignore topics entirely when one does not want to discuss - "oh, you are just trying to cancel me!"  It is being considered a racist hand gesture because the actual far right looney tune groups such as Proud Boys and others have coopted the hand sign (and that is NOT the ok sign anyway which has the thumb and middle finger touching .... just saying.  maybe a regional thing) and use it all over the internet to specifically and clearly mean "white power" and as a wink and nod to others that hold their truly racist bullshit beliefs.  If you want to put your head in the sand and pretend it does not mean that, or to pretend it is just some lefty (actually i am a center leaning guy lol) whining about something do so at your peril.  Fact is MOST folks using the sign these days - especially on far right wing sites, 8chan, etc. - ARE fucking racists spouting racist bullshit, and using the sign as a badge of honor announcing their stupidity.  Octavia and her various alter egos has been around for some time, has never given me any reason to believe she would use it that way, and I certainly was not going to assume and accuse.  So I politely asked why the new avatar and what are you getting at just to be clear and fair.  I believe it is important to know who you are dealing with, and for that reason I am glad racist idiots ARE using a convenient sign to proclaim who they are.  I was simply saying it may very, very well be communicating something unintended using that for an avatar.  And certainly if it were to turn out i have misjudged her over the years and the new avatar actually is a racist statement - let the record show i don't believe that has any place on this site.  But if some other meaning is in wide use and intended I would love to be educated.  But spare me the knee jerk anger and over-reaction to a completely valid question.  Makes you appear to be something I am pretty sure you all are not.  At least I hope not.

Wow!  This post sure went off track.

@gr0owl

Did you read the NPR piece?  Some 4chan folks took the OKay sign and for a lark attached it to far right memes.  The far right then ran with it.

My ‘sad’ comment applies to both, the offended and those who commandeered a well established hand signal as their gang sign.

Yes, I’ve known Octavia for many years, longer than TOB has been around.  I would also be surprised if she mean any thing nefarious.

17 minutes ago, Mustang87 said:

caret--carrot

Don’t get those confused when shopping for The Ring 😃

I just deleted what I typed so somebody doesn't get his panties in a wad and accuse me of being a racist.

It is bullshit that we as a society cannot accept another persons opinion if it differs from ours.

6 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

@gr0owl

Did you read the NPR piece?  Some 4chan folks took the OKay sign and for a lark attached it to far right memes.  The far right then ran with it.

My ‘sad’ comment applies to both, the offended and those who commandeered a well established hand signal as their gang sign.

Yes, I’ve known Octavia for many years, longer than TOB has been around.  I would also be surprised if she mean any thing nefarious.

Yes, read it.  I know nothing of how far right radicals came to use it, I just know that indeed they do and quite widely, and that when they use it the meaning is something I want nothing to do with.  I tried to make the question as non-accusatory as possible and had zero intent of bunching any undies - quite the opposite actually.  Btw there used to be a couple guys on 4chan whose hobby was to concoct the most ludicrous conspiracy theory they could imagine, post it on 4chan and/or reddit and then wait to see how long before certain media outlets picked it up and put it on blast.  Usually took about two days.  Obviously with zero verification. Now THAT is sad, but explains a lot. 

A number of symbols have been coopted by groups to create totally different implications - rainbows by the gay community (and the whole alphabet now associated) the thirteen star revolutionary flag by certain "patriots" etc.  If one does not keep up with the coopted uses one has no idea of half of what is going on.  Ignorance may be bliss, but sooner or later it bites you in the ass.

Oh, btw rodrod1: Thread started out as about similar sounding or appearing words with totally different meanings - not sure how discussing the totally different meaning of very similar signs is very far off track as hand signs are a form of communication just as words are.  I have seen much, much worse!! ;)

9 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Don’t get those confused when shopping for The Ring 😃

Then that would be carat and karat as opposed to caret and carrot