Bit Banger

CARES Act

80 posts in this topic

Yippee!  My CARES Act card finally caught up with me, after chasing around the country. 😁

I think I’m going to let some of our YL stimulate, eh ... the economy. 😜

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

Yippee!  My CARES Act card finally caught up with me, after chasing around the country. 😁

Have fun!!   :D

I tried to get cash out of an ATM after registering/validating the card.  No luck.   So I transferred the money to my bank account.  

I just went to the bank and asked to exchange it for cash. Easy peasy!

Hey, it’s “free”, or as my wife used to say, “found” money.  Might as well have some fun with it.

BTW: I started tonight. Review forthcoming.

Bit, glad you are enjoying the money in a great way.  A fine way to have some fun.

20 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

👏👋👏👋👏👋

On 6/17/2020 at 2:14 PM, Bit Banger said:

What better way to stimulate the economy than by giving back locally! Good idea!

Is there more to come ?  

I read today that unemployment  my be 200-400 $  when the 600 ends on 25th  ..

23 hours ago, lustybustygina said:

Is there more to come ?  

Depends who wins the political battle.

• Democrats' main priority is extending unemployment benefits including the $600 payments.
  • Senate Republicans' main priority is making sure you cannot sue your employer if you get COVID on the job.
  • Trump's main priority is making sure there's no money for testing, so he can pretend COVID isn't happening.

That's not unemployment - that's the amount on TOP of unemployment.  Your base unemployment is based on your salary before you lost your job (up to a certain cap, after which you max out the amount, which isn't that high).  This amount they're discussing is the amount added to that to help families more during this time.

As most of you know, it's not really that much, and IF someone is actually making more from not working, then the problem isn't that they're getting more - it's that the system isn't valuing their work enough.  

I'm hoping the additional $ stays so that families can stay afloat, and especially kids getting what they need.

43 minutes ago, Phil-anderer said:

That's not unemployment - that's the amount on TOP of unemployment.  ...

IF someone is actually making more from not working, 

I get what you’re saying about the CARES bump on top of unemployment.

BUT, if you were previously working 40hrs/wk and the boss offers your job back, but only at 20hrs/wk because of 25% capacity mandates ...

tough decisions to make.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but when dining out my tip percentage has increased to help cover my servers loss of income.

52 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

I don’t know about the rest of you, but when dining out my tip percentage has increased to help cover my servers loss of income.

I usually try to gently slide my tip in when she least expects it, most the time she's pleasantly surprised with the size of my tip..... 

22 minutes ago, Kaduk said:

I usually try to gently slide my tip in when she least expects it, most the time she's pleasantly surprised with the size of my tip..... 

Groan 🤥

12 hours ago, Phil-anderer said:

That's not unemployment - that's the amount on TOP of unemployment.  Your base unemployment is based on your salary before you lost your job (up to a certain cap, after which you max out the amount, which isn't that high).  This amount they're discussing is the amount added to that to help families more during this time.

As most of you know, it's not really that much, and IF someone is actually making more from not working, then the problem isn't that they're getting more - it's that the system isn't valuing their work enough.  

I'm hoping the additional $ stays so that families can stay afloat, and especially kids getting what they need.

Sorry I miss typed  , right the 600 is not unemployment   what I wanted to say the 600 may be reduced to 200 or 400 .

Edited by lustybustygina

12 hours ago, lustybustygina said:

Sorry I miss typed  , right the 600 is not unemployment   what I wanted to say the 600 may be reduced to 200 or 400 .

It's the government, so nothing is straightforward. :)

If I remember correctly, Congress starts a month long vacation on August 1.  With this Congress, I don't see how anything will get passed before they recess next Friday.

Not one of them is willing to compromise for the good of the people.  They are all egotistical, narcissistic, self indulged **&&^&**(*&**.

Fire them all....Democrat, Republican, Independent, etc. Bring in new people and term limit all of them.

Sorry, I'm fired up this morning.

2 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

If I remember correctly, Congress starts a month long vacation on August 1.  With this Congress, I don't see how anything will get passed before they recess next Friday.

Not one of them is willing to compromise for the good of the people.  They are all egotistical, narcissistic, self indulged **&&^&**(*&**.

Fire them all....Democrat, Republican, Independent, etc. Bring in new people and term limit all of them.

Personally I don't know why we elect them anymore. Just pick someone like they do jury duty. If your good enough  for a capital punishment case, I think you can approve a few bills for a couple weeks a pop. Cut rate salary plus room and board.  No elections, lobbyists can't keep throwing money  around, due to the turn over. Things might actually get done

Hmmm!  I like it.  Drafted for a 6month stint in the legislature, with an 10% turn over every month, June & December are holidays.

It took me a while, but I finally figured out that to get cash off my card at an ATM I had to choose checking. 

On 7/24/2020 at 7:11 AM, ilovewomen said:

You cannot say Democrats and Republicans are the same.

For the record - House Democrats passed their version of the next stimulus bill to fix this problem (including another $1200 payment, unemployment, support for testing efforts, etc) back in May. Senate Republicans have been jerking their saggy dicks off ever since, doing nothing on this topic.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/6800

Edited by fork
added word "House"

1 hour ago, fork said:

... For the record - House Democrats passed their version of the next stimulus bill to fix this problem (including another $1200 payment, unemployment, support for testing efforts, etc) back in May.

Yes, but did they figure out how they were going to pay for it?  Sell more bonds to China, or steal from Social Security.

29 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Yes, but did they figure out how they were going to pay for it?, ....

They're better off spending trillions now and get it under control, then wait tell next year were they will have to spend quadrillions......

The problem with any natural disaster, whether it be wildfire, tornado, hurricane, or global pandemic, is that the immediacy of dealing with the disaster obviously commands all attention. And the longer the disaster persists, the longer attention is focused solely on the disaster.

Trump team failed to follow NSC’s pandemic playbook

The 69-page document, finished in 2016, provided a step by step list of priorities – which were then ignored by the administration.

~By DAN DIAMOND and NAHAL TOOSI 03/25/2020 politico.com/news/2020/03/25/trump-coronavirus-national-security-council

This is the current Senate led game plan in a nut shell;

Chronologically through the decades.

• lets not spend millions now, lets wait until after the catastrophic event then spend hundreds of million.
  • next--->lets not spend hundred millions now, lets wait until after the catastrophic event then spend a billion.
  • next--->lets not spend a billion now, lets wait until after the catastrophic event then spend hundreds of a billions.
  • next--->lets not spend a hundred of billion now, lets wait until after the catastrophic event then spend a trillion.
  • 2020 lets not spend a few trillion now, lets wait until later this year the spend hundreds of a trillions.
  • 2021 lets not spend hundred trillions more, lets wait until later then spend a quadrillion.

Every catastrophic event from the past up through now have come with proven data driven science and documentation to forewarn what will happen. Nothing ever happens on the front end to curb the event which comes with a lesser cost, Its always at the back end when it will cost exponentially more.... No policy

1,000,000 trillions, that is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000.

include allocating trillions more in federal aid for states, cities, schools and coronavirus testing is a must....

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

Yes, but did they figure out how they were going to pay for it?  Sell more bonds to China, or steal from Social Security.

Nope. Maybe they should rollback the Trump tax cut which mostly went to the wealthy? If we were worried about debt, we should have kept that tax money and paid down some debt back when the economy was doing well.

My point is - Democrats did something (which you may or may not agree with) and Republicans did nothing. I for one think that in a pandemic that is not going well, the government should be doing something.

Oh, the government (R&D) did something alright.  They panicked!

Extrapolating for population growth, this pandemic hasn’t been any worse than the Hong Kong flu of the late 60’s.  The major difference then was the business community continued as usual.  We didn’t have massive unemployment or the need for stimulus checks.

As for the Trump tax cuts, a major component was the reduction in corporate taxes.  But corporations don’t pay taxes. They collect them for the government.  Corporate taxes are built into their revenue stream and passed on to their customers.  One beauty of this for government is the compounding at each step in the manufacturing and distribution chain.  Another is that the end consumer has no idea they’re lining the government’s pockets.

IMHO. every spending bill should identify a compensating revenue stream.

On 7/24/2020 at 7:11 AM, ilovewomen said:

Um...

If you remember that's exactly how tRump got in office.

Vote for the person that knows how a government should be run, just saying.......

Be careful about the next "outside the establishment" person that comes along.

12 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

You can't steal from social security, that's an accounting fiction.

Way back when the SS act was first passed, it made it clear even back then, the tax, and the payments, are two completely separate things.  In other words:  Social Security taxes are exactly that:  A tax that the government puts on ever person who works, and the money goes into the general federal spending fund.  Full stop.  It's not earmarked for anything.  There are no "separate accountsIt goes into general spending, as confirmed by the Supreme Court.

Completely separately, the government *may* pay out of the general fund money to people who qualify due to age or disability money that's also called "Social Security" but is technically unrelated to the tax.  To make the voting public happy, the government pays a team of accountants to come up with a set of numbers that they get to make speeches on.

You will see a lot of cute little meme images out there that try to say otherwise, and you also see a lot of politicians saying so.  All of which are the typical blatant lies that you see all the time.  In 1960 the Supreme Court ruled in Fleming vs Nestor that you don't even have a right to be paid from Social Security, even if you've paid the tax your entire life, because it's apparently mean to the government to make them have to pay you if they don't want to.

7 hours ago, sparkey600 said:

Vote for the person that knows how a government should be run, just saying.......

Be careful about the next "outside the establishment" person that comes along.

1) I did not vote for him.

2) I grew up in IL, 10+ adult years in Chicago, “the city the works”.  And that would make Tammany Hall blush, I might add. I remember how well a certain community organizer, with 1/2 a term in the State Senate and 1/2 a term in the US Senate, worked out.  IMHO he made even a peanut farmer look good.

The office of President is an EXECUTIVE position.  I want someone with executive experience, preferably a governor, but CEO of a large corporation works too.  The only advantage I see to legislative experience is that you know whose skeleton to rattle for results, like LBJ.