Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AmberAustin69

Whe can I see the tell-tale signs of fall?

31 posts in this topic

I am curious when Denver begins to see the beginning of Fall - my very favorite season! (although I do love the winter snow too and can't wait to go skiing!!!) And when does fall start in higher elevations like Aspen?

The Aspen start changing after mid September in the higher elevations. I think around the 2 week of October in Denver.

The leaves here in town will start falling around mid October.

Until then, enjoy the Indian Summer.

3 hours ago, Alex Majors said:

The Aspen start changing after mid September in the higher elevations. I think around the 2 week of October in Denver.

Thats a beautiful time to drive west on I-70.

I was up in Cripple Creek last weekend. Looks like great color is another week away.

The snow is coming whether we are ready or not 

In Colorado, Spring and Fall tend to last about an hour and a half.  Everyone remember the 10" of snow May 20 this year?   Denver averages 2" of snow in September.  Last we had record high temps.  I will, however, still take this over Milwaukee where they have four seasons: early winter, winter, late winter and pothole repair season. 

If you’re open to hiking, Kenosha Pass is a very popular place to go see the fall colors.  It can be quite dazzling.  Closer to town, Evergreen like Staunton State park is great too.

Early fall here starts around the second week of September, when the overnight lows start to get into the 50s and then 40s.  The trees start to change shortly thereafter.  Usually right around Halloween is the first snowfall.   Leaf-raking season is generally October/November.  But expect plenty of nice days outside well into November.

Every year my family loads up on the third weekend in September to tour the high country and look at the leaves changing colors.  That is the for-sure magic date: if it is an early year, then the leaves at the higher elevations will be at their peak, if it is a late year, the leaves at the lower elevation will be at their peak, most years everything is gorgeous.  As to route, there are many, but it is a lot of fun to go up to Echo Lake Lodge to get a burger and piece of pie.  It's a wonderful place if you have never been there: a Colorado tourist trap right out of the 1950s (if you want the cheesey salt and pepper shakers, this is the place, not to mention Colorado Snow Globes, etc.).  Lots of nice hikes around the lake and up the mountain, just a fun spot and it is always nice on the third weekend in September.

Another fun thing to do:  Take Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park over to Estes Park (spend the night if you like).  Not only are the leaves lovely, but all of the high country is beautiful:  brush, lichen, mosses, everything is changing colors, and is just so pretty.  Damn good chance to see Elk bugeling and mating as well.  One year up on Trail Ridge, just before the summit, me and the kids snuck up behind rocks, brush, etc., and actually were treated to the scene of two large male Elk battling over the herd of cows less than 100 feet away.  It is an amazing thing to see and hear - you could hear the clash of antlers echoing off the distant hills.  My kids still talk about it nearly 20 years later.  It was the third weekend of September.

22 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

The leaves here in town will start falling around mid October.

Until then, enjoy the Indian Summer.

Officially Indian Summer must be after a hard freeze and between 11 and 20 November.  More trivial for all.

Just noticed a handful of leaves starting to change color yesterday, here at 9000 feet elevation... 

The most reliable indicator is about a week late this year, but now in full bloom - sagebrush blooming is a the siren going off  Trees and bushes will follow soon.

Image result for sagebrush blooming

Leaves are starting turn & fall too.  There were a few curves scattered with leaves on Tail of the Dragon yesterday.  Made me slow down and be extra cautious.  But the views on the Cherohala were spectacular.

It is getting chilly here but warms up nice in the day. :-) Love this weather. Can't wait to break out the boots and leather jacket tonight!

Going to liberate my wife from the home on Wednesday and go to Cripple Creek. Gotta go before the snow which is coming that night. Hope for good color!

First time in Denver on Wednesday, I hope to see some fall foliage amongst other things...

Don't anyone tell him that he is going to get a real live Denver weather shock Wednesday/Thursday.

Heck dude, pack light, what could happen?

50 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

Don't anyone tell him that he is going to get a real live Denver weather shock Wednesday/Thursday.

Heck dude, pack light, what could happen?

Denver....we love it.  70's through Wednesday and snow with a high of 31 on Thursday.  I'm actually looking forward to the first snowfall on Thursday.  It will suck a bit on the drive home, but I learned how to drive slowly and leave lots of space between me and the car in front of me.  ;)

3 hours ago, tth said:

First time in Denver on Wednesday, I hope to see some fall foliage amongst other things...

Hahahahahah  How about leaves covered in white, broken limbs, loss of power, cold ass wind ...... and then back to "normal" in a couple days!!  At least it will be pleasant to clean up the mess!

And here I am sitting outside having a Scotch & cigar.  It’s 78 at 11pm. 😜

10 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

And here I am sitting outside having a Scotch & cigar.  It’s 78 at 11pm. 😜

Are you back down in Texas?

Thursday will be a reminder that winter is around the corner.

1 minute ago, ilovewomen said:

Are you back down in Texas?

Not yet, but on my way.  I took a swing through GA & FL this year.  Visiting friends on the Gulf Coast of the FL panhandle today.

Balmy 😁

1 minute ago, Bit Banger said:

Not yet, but on my way.  I took a swing through GA & FL this year.  Visiting friends on the Gulf Coast of the FL panhandle today.

Balmy 😁

Sounds good.  Safe travels!