sparkey600

Sorry Everyone......

32 posts in this topic

I've sustained a significant knee injury last week that's going to keep me away from things I like to do to say the least. Seems like I can't catch a break after my ankle injury...Poetic Justice perhaps??

I'm meeting an orthoscopic surgeon to see what he has to say, then right after that a Stem cell surgeon to see if there's another option for me. (hope so)

If I'm remiss in responses here, I apologize...I REALLY want to wish ALL of my friends here A VERY MERRY Christmas  and a HAPPY NEW YEAR! And I'm hoping each and everyone of you get (and give) everything you could hope for. Love to all of you! Blesses to you all!     

Hope the Docs can figure something out that will get you back to normal as soon as possible. Knee injuries as you know are painful as is the recovery after surgery. Take care and good luck!

Sorry the injury is more serious than you thought.  Glad you are exploring options and sending you healing thoughts.  Take care of yourself and treat yourself kindly.  Merry Christmas and hop 2022 will have some good things in store for you.

I'm so sorry your knee has got you down.  It's been a horrible couple years with injuries and illnesses. It can be quite depressing. Sending love to you Sparky. ❤

That sucks. Sorry you’re going through it. Hang in. Sending well wishes and excellent doctor advice mojo

Sorry to hear that.  I had my ACL replaced 4 years ago after an injury.  It’s doing great!  I’m sure you’ll have a good experience too.  

Good luck!

Edited by CountryGentleman

Sorry, but, aging ain't for wimps. No good medical news after 50, except "not yet". 

It's just another step to climb,  all us old farts go through. You'll recover and in no time you'll have to think,"which knee did I hurt". It's amazing what doctors can do these days.

Sparky I hope you heal soon so you can get back on your feet.

There are still so many hills to climb to see what’s on the other side!

Thank you everyone, I appreciate all of the love for sure! I met with my Ortho.. who realty turned out to be a great guy for sure! He thinks I have an old injury (me old??) no way....Anyway despite two meniscus  tears and a 14mm cyst..  He recommended a series of steroid shots before we go farther down the rabbit hole. I liked him from the time we met, seemed very knowledgeable and I trust him. He gave me the steroid shot and I asked him if I was going to get a lollipop because I was such a good patient...He laughed out loud and said he hadn't thought about that in over 40 years! He is a GOOD DOC for sure. We talked a lot about my problem and possible fixes moving forward. So for now, I will wait and see what happens this coming Sunday when I've been told I might be feeling better...Thanks EVERYONE for all of your good wishes, I really appreciate you all. Such a great community to be a part of for sure! 

The steroid shots in the knees work miracles. I'm thinking I may need my fourth shot.  I'll wait a few more weeks and see if the knee pain goes away first.  Sometimes the pain is old age way of telling me I'm not 21 anymore.

Try steroids, and then if that doesn't work, there is synvisc, or replacement - they're pretty good at it these days.  If you get that far, I'd look for someone who hasn't been in practice for 40 years, but that's just me.  Good luck!

2 hours ago, Phil-anderer said:

Try steroids, and then if that doesn't work, there is synvisc, or replacement - they're pretty good at it these days.  If you get that far, I'd look for someone who hasn't been in practice for 40 years, but that's just me.  Good luck!

I actually get Synvisc injections in both knees every 6 months from the VA. I tore and ACL on active duty 25 years ago.  All in all I'm doing pretty well on them these days, despite being quite a bit older. I can even jog on it and am relativity pain-free. The technology is quite and bit better now and I think the prospects of getting back close to normal are pretty good. Good luck with it.

16 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

The steroid shots in the knees work miracles. I'm thinking I may need my fourth shot.  I'll wait a few more weeks and see if the knee pain goes away first.  Sometimes the pain is old age way of telling me I'm not 21 anymore.

I hate not being 21 anymore.

11 hours ago, Mustang87 said:

I actually get Synvisc injections in both knees every 6 months from the VA. I tore and ACL on active duty 25 years ago.  All in all I'm doing pretty well on them these days, despite being quite a bit older. I can even jog on it and am relativity pain-free. The technology is quite and bit better now and I think the prospects of getting back close to normal are pretty good. Good luck with it.

Thanks Mustang, I'm glad you are feeling better. Still having a hard time with going up and down stairs.

14 hours ago, Phil-anderer said:

Thanks bud, trying to forgo replacement...not my cup of tea for sure.

On 12/22/2021 at 0:23 AM, tide32 said:

It's just another step to climb,  all us old farts go through. You'll recover and in no time you'll have to think,"which knee did I hurt". It's amazing what doctors can do these days.

Thanks bud. Got a big fat ass shot in my knee, seems to be helping for sure!

Just be careful with the steroid shots.  According to my relative who is a Physical Therapist, they actually cause more degeneration of the cartilage.   Don’t do too many.  FWIW, another relative had a knee replacement at 75 yo. And it is so much better that she now is going in to get the other one done at 79. 

Edited by CountryGentleman

agree on the steroids - be careful:)

also like countrygentleman, buddy of mine just had a knee replaced too - he says it is better and stronger at 55yo than the 'healthy' knee...

14 hours ago, CountryGentleman said:

Just be careful with the steroid shots.  According to my relative who is a Physical Therapist, they actually cause more degeneration of the cartilage.   Don’t do too many.  FWIW, another relative had a knee replacement at 75 yo. And it is so much better that she now is going in to get the other one done at 79. 

Thank you for this advise, I really appreciate it. I'm really trying to not get a knee replacement ay my age......After all I'm a lovely 28 year old man that just happened to live a hard life! HAHAHAHAHA! I WISH!

On 12/23/2021 at 7:22 AM, ilovewomen said:

I personally HATE not being 21anymore. I for one hope you are feeling better bud! Knee pain is a pain in the ass for sure! It's the worst!

Thank you for this advise, I really appreciate it. I'm really trying to not get a knee replacement ay my age......After all I'm a lovely 28 year old man that just happened to live a hard life! HAHAHAHAHA! I WISH!

I think you can have 3 steroid shots in a year and be OK. Thanks for letting me know bud!

On 12/23/2021 at 11:59 PM, sparkey600 said:

I hate not being 21 anymore.

Me too

On 12/24/2021 at 0:01 AM, sparkey600 said:

Thanks Mustang, I'm glad you are feeling better. Still having a hard time with going up and down stairs.

Walking on stairs, especially down, was really tough.  It's important to avoid limping and favoring the other leg. I did that for a long time and ended up messing up the other knee to the point it needs treatment now too, despite never being injured. Get PT early on if you can to make sure you are walking as normally as possible.

7 hours ago, Mustang87 said:

Walking on stairs, especially down, was really tough.  It's important to avoid limping and favoring the other leg. I did that for a long time and ended up messing up the other knee to the point it needs treatment now too, despite never being injured. Get PT early on if you can to make sure you are walking as normally as possible.

This!!!

Also, it’s critical for proper walking to make sure you can straighten your knee all the way.  It hurts like crazy to do it but you have to get it fully straight.  

Over the years I’ve managed to trash a leg: jumping out of airplanes, climbing accidents, shattered ankle (motorcycle spill), drop foot, etc.  all on the same leg. This gives me a rolling gait.  But now the other hip joint is starting to complain.

Life goes on!

On 12/27/2021 at 0:44 PM, Mustang87 said:

I've been working on just this. It's hard for sure but getting better this last week. DAMN old bones! haha

On 12/29/2021 at 9:09 PM, Bit Banger said:

Over the years I’ve managed to trash a leg: jumping out of airplanes, climbing accidents, shattered ankle (motorcycle spill), drop foot, etc.  all on the same leg. This gives me a rolling gait.  But now the other hip joint is starting to complain.

Life goes on!

Dude, getting older is not for sissy's for sure! I miss my younger kick ass ass and take names attitude for sure!