Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparkey600

Settling In

84 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Strange_Ice said:

Actually  the numbers were being OVER reported because they was (and it was even on 9 news not to long ago stating it) including any and all people who tested positive for covid as a covid death. Even if the persons death had nothing to do with the virus... things like you had a heart attack- covid, you had a stroke- covid. If you had covid in your system at the time of death they just automatically included you in the stats for a covid death, whether THAT was the specific cause or not, it all got lumped into 1 category...

Berkeley.edu April 24, 2020 berkeley.edu/2020/04/24/study-challenges-reports-of-low-fatality-rate-for-covid-19/

"Seljak says that getting COVID-19 doubles your chance of dying this year...

“If you want to know what are the chances of dying from COVID-19 if you get infected, we observed that a very simple answer seems to fit a lot of data: It is the same as the chance of you dying over the next 12 months from normal causes,” said Seljak.

Current uncertainties can push this number down to 10 months or up to 20 months, he added. His team discovered that this simple relation holds not only for the overall fatality rate, but also for the age stratified fatality rate, and it agrees with the data both in Italy and in the U.S".

The Denver Post June 8, 2020 at 6:00 a.m. denverpost.com/2020/06/08/denver-coronavirus-deaths-infection-rates/

"Denver now has more COVID-19 cases and related deaths compared to population than Weld County, which was hit particularly hard by outbreaks, but the epidemic in Colorado’s capital is still far from the worst."

CDC Updated June 8, 2020 cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.

"The provisional counts for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) deaths are based on a current flow of mortality data in the National Vital Statistics System

NOTE: Number of deaths reported in this table are the total number of deaths received and coded as of the date of analysis and do not represent all deaths that occurred in that period. The United States population, based on 2018 postcensal estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, is 327,167,434."

Science daily May 18, 2020 Source: University of Washington sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05

"COVID-19: Study reports 'staggering' death rate in U.S. among those infected who show symptoms, more deadly than the flu.

It's a lot more deadly, concludes a new study by the University of Washington published May 7 in the journal Health Affairs. The study's results also project a grim future if the U.S. doesn't put up a strong fight against the spread of the virus.

A new study finds the national U.S. rate of death among people infected with the novel coronavirus -- SARS-CoV-2 -- that causes COVID-19 and who show symptoms is 1.3 percent, the study found. The comparable rate of death for the seasonal flu is 0.1 percent."

StarTribune May 12, 2020 startribune.com/making-sense-of-covid-19-fatality-rates

Making sense of COVID-19 fatality rates. A good outcome for reopening relies on fatality rates decreasing significantly. 

"This method of calculation is often what people use if they casually cite a death rate. But it’s not the most accurate way to estimate your personal risk of dying if you become host to the agents of a disease. That would be the infection fatality rate. For the flu, by one account, it’s 0.04%. That means for every 10,000 people who are infected, whether they report it or not, four ultimately will perish.

You’ll see that the extra numeral after the decimal point makes a difference. But you’ll also notice that we’ve gone from a rate that can be calculated with hard data to one that must be inferred....

As of Monday in Minnesota, 11,799 cases of the disease had been confirmed by laboratory testing. There were 591 deaths. Case fatality rate? Simple math. Divide the smaller number by the larger, and you get 5%. That’s in range of the 6% figure globally for people with a diagnosis."

nytimes April 17, 2020 Updated April 18, 2020 nytimes.com/2020/04/17/us/coronavirus-death-rate

"Coroners in some parts of the country are overwhelmed. Funeral homes in coronavirus hot spots can barely keep up. Newspaper obituary pages in hard-hit areas go on and on. Covid-19 is on track to kill far more people in the United States this year than the seasonal flu.

But determining just how deadly the new coronavirus will be is a key question facing epidemiologists, who expect resurgent waves of infection that could last into 2022....10 times the rate of a typical flu.

Determining death rates is especially challenging in the midst of a pandemic, while figures are necessarily fluid. Fatality rates based on comparing deaths, which are relatively easy to count, to infections, which are not, almost certainly overestimate the true lethality of the virus, epidemiologists say. Health officials and epidemiologists have estimated there are five to 10 people with undetected infections for every confirmed case in some communities, and at least one estimate suggests there are far more.

On top of that, deaths lag infections. The thousands of people with Covid-19 who died this week in the United States were most likely infected as far back as a month ago. So as the number of new cases reported begins to fall in hard-hit places like New York City, the death rate will almost certainly rise."

On 6/5/2020 at 11:44 AM, Bit Banger said:

I won’t say that all deaths are reported as Covid, but viral deaths have been over reported.  This is why CO made a major adjustment in their numbers. Downward!  Why? Money, of course.  Hospitals had a financial incentive to attribute death to Covid where possible because of larger payments for treatment.

Another factor to consider is that w/o complete testing, thus finding asymptomatic cases, the contagion and death rates are overblown.

Maybe, but you might have a hard time explaining that to the 12 people I know that are still in the hospital and the 14 people I know that died from Covid.

Over reported? Absolutely. Is this shit a killer especially to the old and sickly? Absolutely. The younger and healthy people get this with life long consequences? Absolutely. Just saying take this seriously, you or someone that's a little older or more fragile life's might depend on it. Please wear a mask in public and practice social distancing as well as you can.

It's been reported by the CDC that up to 35% of people that have Covid are asymptomatic, no symptoms, but they can pass it along to other people. Mask wearing in public settings can very much limit exposure to other people.

Like I sad before, I don't like wearing a mask in public, but if I can help save one person from getting this, it's really a no brainier to me. All of the conspiracy theorists and the "my constitutional rights are being trod on, I don't have to wear a mask" people have had their Great Aunt or Mom come down with this shit and their lives are in the balance, I'm thinking they might sing a different tune. When it strikes close to home you might think differently. Act safe in public, you just might save a life you care about.

6 hours ago, sparkey600 said:

Maybe, but you might have a hard time explaining that to the 12 people I know that are still in the hospital and the 14 people I know that died from Covid.

Over reported? Absolutely. Is this shit a killer especially to the old and sickly? Absolutely. The younger and healthy people get this with life long consequences? Absolutely. Just saying take this seriously, you or someone that's a little older or more fragile life's might depend on it. Please wear a mask in public and practice social distancing as well as you can.

It's been reported by the CDC that up to 35% of people that have Covid are asymptomatic, no symptoms, but they can pass it along to other people. Mask wearing in public settings can very much limit exposure to other people.

Like I sad before, I don't like wearing a mask in public, but if I can help save one person from getting this, it's really a no brainier to me. All of the conspiracy theorists and the "my constitutional rights are being trod on, I don't have to wear a mask" people have had their Great Aunt or Mom come down with this shit and their lives are in the balance, I'm thinking they might sing a different tune. When it strikes close to home you might think differently. Act safe in public, you just might save a life you care about.

Actually I just read yesterday that through contact tracing they have discovered that transmission from asymptomatic individuals is actually rare the WHO just released those findings.

And just the throw it out there if you are wearing a mask and you don't disinfect or hands EVERYTIME you touch your mask for any reason (ie. Putting it on, taking it off, adjusting it for any reason) you are potentially exposing yourself to the virus at a higher rate then if you just wasn't wearing one and simply kept a reasonable distance from others. That's a big part of why the debate goes back and forth on whether they are effective or not.

Edited by Strange_Ice

21 hours ago, Strange_Ice said:

Actually  the numbers were being OVER reported because they was (and it was even on 9 news not to long ago stating it) including any and all people who tested positive for covid as a covid death. Even if the persons death had nothing to do with the virus... things like you had a heart attack- covid, you had a stroke- covid. If you had covid in your system at the time of death they just automatically included you in the stats for a covid death, whether THAT was the specific cause or not, it all got lumped into 1 category...

No, they were not.  No matter how many times a right wing conspiracy theory is repeated it remains false, but sadly believed by many.  This is an excellent example.

2 hours ago, Strange_Ice said:

And just the throw it out there if you are wearing a mask and you don't disinfect or hands EVERYTIME you touch your mask for any reason (ie. Putting it on, taking it off, adjusting it for any reason) you are potentially exposing yourself to the virus at a higher rate then if you just wasn't wearing one and simply kept a reasonable distance from others. That's a big part of why the debate goes back and forth on whether they are effective or not.

The "purpose" of the masks is NOT to protect the wearer, but rather others from the wearer.  Masks are one thing that the "experts" continue to flip and flop on.  Now the largely discredited WHO has flip flopped (again!!) relative to those that are asymptomatic being able to infect others.  If and when the CDC and/or AMA, etc agree with the latest WHO proclamation and back it up with actual data then it will be worth paying attention to.

Sorry but the CDC  is bought and paid for by the US government so they will tell you what the government  wants you to here, on top of that do you REALLY believe they WANT you to have a actual cure? If they give everybody a cure they make no money to "research" and would be out of a job. On top of that I have a co-worker who has a family member that said they had a patient  that did NOT die do to the virus but was told he HAD to put covid on the persons death report because he had the virus in his system and got mad because the cause of death had NOTHING to die with the virus but the hospital wanted the extra money so he was forced to FALSELY claim it was the virus

49 minutes ago, Strange_Ice said:

Sorry but the CDC  is bought and paid for by the US government so they will tell you what the government  wants you to here, on top of that do you REALLY believe they WANT you to have a actual cure? If they give everybody a cure they make no money to "research" and would be out of a job. On top of that I have a co-worker who has a family member that said they had a patient  that did NOT die do to the virus but was told he HAD to put covid on the persons death report because he had the virus in his system and got mad because the cause of death had NOTHING to die with the virus but the hospital wanted the extra money so he was forced to FALSELY claim it was the virus

You know the CDC doesn’t actually create vaccines, right? And only plays a part in the research of and testing vaccines. Are you saying all the corporations, that do make profits from creating vaccines and other drugs, also don’t want to create a cure? 

1 hour ago, JoDoe27 said:

You know the CDC doesn’t actually create vaccines, right? And only plays a part in the research of and testing vaccines. Are you saying all the corporations, that do make profits from creating vaccines and other drugs, also don’t want to create a cure? 

Why would they create a cure? They want you to pay for "treatments" and medicine to help you "feel" better. If they create a straight out CURE, you just get the cure and your done with them. But if they play the long game and say there is no cure but it IS treatable then they have you for years to come and make more money in the long run, rather then getting a single treatment and never seeing them again. It's like cars... haven't you noticed that cars don't typically  last as long as they did in the past, I was in the marine Corp with a former car salesman and he told me straight up that cars are DESIGNED to start breaking down after 5-10 years on average so that you are forced to go back to the dealer and get a new one. If they designed cars to last for 20-30 years you're more likely to go your whole life on 1 car and that car could be past down and your kids who wouldn't have to ever buy a new one either. Both industries are in for the long run and corrupt where the only thing that truly matters to them is the money

On the ‘designed to fail’ there are also other economics at play.  For instance the costs of more durable materials and alternative designs may price the product out of the market. You may have a bomb-proof product, but if nobody can afford to purchase it that doesn’t do you much good.

I once worked for a shop that refused to bid on MilSpec jobs.  Putting the overhead (inspections, records, etc.) in place to deal with the standards would push them out of the commercial market.

I have a business in Michigan, a state that has seen a lot of infections even through we have extreme overreaching and mostly likely unconstitutional governors orders.

We are required to wear masks when indoors. I counted how many people came into our business with a mask.. less than 5%. We did the mask thing, we closed our businesses and when people protested about the overreach, they where told they where responsible for the spread of the virus, that they where selfish. The governor vilified the protesters, unless they protesting something that politically was to her advantage to get behind. Now it appears the virus only effects those that oppose the governor. Mask for only for those that are not protesting the police. Social distancing is not for those that riot or wants to defund the police. If you protest to open your business, to make a living, you are vilified for not social distancing or wearing a mask.

We are over wearing the masks. Doctors where has said it might be more harmful to wear a mask than not wearing one. Stores no longer require it, partly because the American Disability Act prevents a store from enforcing the wearing the mask policy. Most store employees are no longer wearing masks. We closed our stores, closed our churches, canceled graduations, we buried our loved ones with only 10 people at the funerals, we has postponed weddings. Loiters get a pass, but if you cut hair you are shut down... now if you protest and riot you don't need to respect social distancing or wear a mask.. 

it is all political.. and I am done with it.

13 hours ago, Strange_Ice said:

Actually I just read yesterday that through contact tracing they have discovered that transmission from asymptomatic individuals is actually rare the WHO just released those findings.

Not surprisingly the largely incompetent WHO tried today to walk back the prior statement by one doctor that was not a reflection of an actual study to begin with and are now stating - I will translate to plain English - "We (WHO) don't know shit from shinola yet"  Check in to see what they get wrong next, and check to see how many stories OAN runs about the prior mistaken bullshit.  Gets wearing.  Oh, and OAn is the same bunch that kisses OP's ass daily and gave him the idea the 75 year old dude left bleeding unconscious on sidewalk by cops who shoved him down was a sneaky antifa infiltrator blocking their radio communications.  The tin foil business is booming.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/health/who-coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread-bn/index.html

Edited by gr8owl
add link

I’ll only wear a mask if I have no choice.  That would be different if I was older or in bad health.  People that lock themselves away are always the first to die.  Not to mention wasting months of ones life.  Low level exposure might actually be good for you, and getting out in the sun is excellent for your vitamin d levels.  Now if Ebola gets here that is a different story.

38 minutes ago, ynglifter69 said:

I’ll only wear a mask if I have no choice.  That would be different if I was older or in bad health.  People that lock themselves away are always the first to die.  Not to mention wasting months of ones life.  Low level exposure might actually be good for you, and getting out in the sun is excellent for your vitamin d levels.  Now if Ebola gets here that is a different story.

Once again - the point of the mask (assuming you are not going to don full m95, visor, gown and gloves) is to help protect OTHERS from you  Not you from others.  What exactly is "low level exposure?"  Is that like being partially pregnant?

16 hours ago, Strange_Ice said:

Who said I didn't recommend what the WHO is recommending? You seem to be arguing for arguments sake.

Try to offer a remediation to the said post. Your reply is very soft. You might want to do a little thinking and post a new reply, just saying. 

Look at it this way.  If you are surrounded by people on a regular basis you are most likely getting a low level exposure to a little bit of everything.  The body then builds antibodies that at least in theory will help fight off future attacks.  Practice good hygiene and keep your body in the best shape possible, but don’t just lock yourself away.

13 hours ago, ynglifter69 said:

Look at it this way.... most likely getting a low level exposure to a little bit of everything....

That would be like saying:: hey don't use a condom, let the sperm surround the egg, the low level change of that one sperm getting through will not impregnate the woman....

Many good points...specifically, the total absence of any news one can believe.....the constant changing of the story by CDC and WHO......and the insane double standards making regular life deadly and illegal, but protests and riots safe and admirable. It is UNDENIABLE that there is tons of bullshit and constant lies....just nobody can can prove WHAT is lies. Because nobody can prove what is lies, any preposterous lie , new claim, or change in narrative is branded the truth and anyone who does not believe it is a selfish, tin foil hat wearing, conspiracy theory embracing, racist , grandma killing, dumbass. I believe nothing I hear or read. I go out and buy necessities IF I can't get them delivered, and do it very rapidly and efficiently like a "mission". I refuse to go anyplace else, or spend a cent on anything else. This is NOT one iota of fear of covid induced....it is disgust with the human herd of lying, insane, sometimes violent idiots,  that I  refuse to look at or be near. Like swimming in the sewer. As for the economy, I don't need anything other than food and drink, and nobody needs my money, so to hell with them all. In short, society has lost it's reason and mind and I opt out as much as is humanly possible.

43 minutes ago, Admiral C said:

Many good points...specifically, the total absence of any news one can believe...

Saddest post I've ever read. I hope your neighbors don't get stuck finding (smelling) your decomposing corpse... 

1 hour ago, pfunk said:

Saddest post I've ever read. I hope your neighbors don't get stuck finding (smelling) your decomposing corpse... 

With all due respect....and I mean that because I tend to like you and your posts...fuck off. Because I am not AN IDIOT, I have KNOWN all this SHIT has been coming for DECADES. I have ALREADY bought ALL I might want or need..... Years ago in preparation....pfunk...this is NOT BUSINESS AS USUAL!!! I have saved enough money. I have PLAYED...and PAID. Now play time is OVER! It's not MY fault.....it's not YOUR fault... it IS what it IS. You just go ahead and call my post "saddest". I have ALREADY moved ahead and focused on the survival and prosperity of ME AND MINE. JUST like OUR owners and masters. You "go along to get along?"...it will be YOUR corpse stinking it up..... When it is every being for themselves..... " Everyone is in this together" is the narrative lie......This post is ONLY for intelligent survivors....to the rest I say.....nothing!.....

1 hour ago, Admiral C said:

With all due respect....and I mean that because I tend to like you and your posts...fuck off. Because I am not AN IDIOT, I have KNOWN all this SHIT has been coming for DECADES. I have ALREADY bought ALL I might want or need..... Years ago in preparation....pfunk...this is NOT BUSINESS AS USUAL!!! I have saved enough money. I have PLAYED...and PAID. Now play time is OVER! It's not MY fault.....it's not YOUR fault... it IS what it IS. You just go ahead and call my post "saddest". I have ALREADY moved ahead and focused on the survival and prosperity of ME AND MINE. JUST like OUR owners and masters. You "go along to get along?"...it will be YOUR corpse stinking it up..... When it is every being for themselves..... " Everyone is in this together" is the narrative lie......This post is ONLY for intelligent survivors....to the rest I say.....nothing!.....

Maybe you can explain why all the survivalists (I’m assuming you’re a survivalist) are so angered right now. This is quite literally what you’ve been prepping and waiting for! This is your moment to shine like the most brilliant of stars while shouting, “I told you so!” as you sequester yourself away until there’s nothing left leaving you and yours able to wait it out for weeks/months/years. Right? I mean, all those people exclaiming your lunacy because you had the audacity to plan ahead can eat a bag of dicks! If it’s truly everyone for themselves you should be cheering as the world burns around since you and yours will survive and prosper while all others die and wither. So what’s the problem? 

Sorry...  started a shit show here, all I wanted is what everybody thought about wearing a mask n public.

5 hours ago, sparkey600 said:

Sorry...  started a shit show here, all I wanted is what everybody thought about wearing a mask n public.

I wear a mask in public.

8 hours ago, sparkey600 said:

Sometimes a shit show is just waiting to happen and needs just the lightest nudge to activate.

As for me, I always wear a mask in public. 

15 hours ago, JoDoe27 said:

Maybe you can explain why all the survivalists (I’m assuming you’re a survivalist) are so angered right now. This is quite literally what you’ve been prepping and waiting for! This is your moment to shine like the most brilliant of stars while shouting, “I told you so!” as you sequester yourself away until there’s nothing left leaving you and yours able to wait it out for weeks/months/years. Right? I mean, all those people exclaiming your lunacy because you had the audacity to plan ahead can eat a bag of dicks! If it’s truly everyone for themselves you should be cheering as the world burns around since you and yours will survive and prosper while all others die and wither. So what’s the problem? 

No problem at all for me....THAT's what I was trying to explain. It's not sad. I do get annoyed when people just assume you need to be, and should want to be, part of society. Unfortunately, to some degree we all HAVE to be because the entire Earth is "bought up", and to some degree us along with it.

15 hours ago, JoDoe27 said:

By the way, as regards the highlighted parts. I don't think that way AT ALL. "Shining"...."I told you so"......." proof of planning ahead not lunacy"....Those are all about ego, and "showing people". Quite the opposite of having as little to do with  people as possible. 

49 minutes ago, Admiral C said:

By the way, as regards the highlighted parts. I don't think that way AT ALL. "Shining"...."I told you so"......." proof of planning ahead not lunacy"....Those are all about ego, and "showing people". Quite the opposite of having as little to do with  people as possible. 

For someone who wants “as little to do with people as possible”, you sure do have a lot to say...:rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, MrReindeer-9515 said:

For someone who wants “as little to do with people as possible”, you sure do have a lot to say...:rolleyes:

Well sure! This is just a screen full of words for entertainment...not real people.

1 hour ago, Admiral C said:

Well sure! This is just a screen full of words for entertainment...not real people.

Again, this makes me sad. Each one of us, including you, is a real person. The women you visit are real people. All of us clients are real people. 

We share our thoughts and dreams by using words. They represent the emotions, work, struggle, and hope that embodies our spirit. We seek understanding, assistance, and knowledge here.

I think the vast majority of us want to help the other people on this board, and share happiness, and hope. We are real. :)