gb0138

Covid-19 (2019 novel coronavirus)

145 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, gr8owl said:

Well social media blows everything out of proportion for those foolish enough to believe. 

NOTE:  theotherboard is social media - and WE ALL ARE blowing shit out of proportion. 

On 3/8/2020 at 1:03 PM, gr8owl said:

That is just it.  This particular strain has NOT been around before.  The general family of corona virus has been identified and known since the 1960's.  Numerous "colds" and "flu" have in reality been from relatively harmless corona virus strains and were misdiagnosed as cold or flu.  Then mutations occur (frequent and common in viruses!!) resulting in not so harmless strains.  Remember SARS and MERS?  Both were very aggressively attacked to stop their spread.  SARS had a death to case rate of over 10 percent.  MERS was far worse.  Both were corona viruses. This new strain is a very close relative and most nearly resembles SARS when compared to other coronas.  COVID 19 is NOT the fucking common cold no matter what Rush and the boys are trying to tell everyone.  Meanwhile the guy in the White House who has never seen a science paper or national security service assessment that he believes is only concerned about preserving his main re-election point - the economy (which is a totally false narrative to begin with!!).  So he marches out Ben Carson, md and lunatic in charge of a federal department, this morning to basically say don't worry be happy, sure some old farts with underlying conditions will die, but so what.  Plan for cruise ship docking on west coast tomorrow (quarantine, don't quarantine, keep on ship, allow off, etc.) ....... uh, we haven't formulated one yet!!! Once they do I am sure the plan will be "beautiful and perfect."  And his scapegoat in chief Pence can scarcely get a statement out of his mouth before some other admin luminary contradicts him.  Situation normal ...... deny, divert, lie, and confuse.  Wave flags and red caps and brag of all the things done for "us" that are just falsehoods.  A very, very sad time in which we live.  And yes, the far left are just as bad or worse.  If you all vote for either ................. aw, hell, never mind,  why change now with such sterling results???

Well, I guess you better quarantine yourself after you have bought TP and water. Also, wash your ass!

Xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

1 hour ago, SultryKitten said:

Well, I guess you better quarantine yourself after you have bought TP and water. Also, wash your ass!

Xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Well, surprisingly I have always washed my hands and ass well and often regardless of there being anything "going around" or not.  Avoid crowds - I hate crowds, usually avoid them except occasional concert.  Right now ..... i am going to have to pass on say the Growlers in Boulder this week and that hurts!!   And ZZ Ward a couple days ago. :(:( 

To one and all: You are a grown adult, decide how you personally wish to act in view of, and I sincerely wish you well and whatever you choose works very well for you!  I simply strongly suggest such decisions are made based upon facts and science ....... and damn sure not politics.

On 3/8/2020 at 3:21 PM, lintlizard said:

NOTE:  theotherboard is social media - and WE ALL ARE blowing shit out of proportion. 

Not ALL of us....as I understand it, the ladies are generally supposed to blow OUR shit way out of proportion.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:38 PM, ilovewomen said:

The last pandemic from a virus was 2009/2010. In that year, the H1N1 killed over 15 million people worldwide.

Sorry, that number 15 million fatalities is totally wrong, way too high. The estimates I found for deaths from the 2009/2010 H1N1 epidemic are 150,000 to 600,000 worldwide and 9,000 to 18,000 in the United States. And about 10 % to 20 % of the entire world population of 6.8 billion caught the H1N1 flu.

Since 0.68 billion to 1.36 billion people had the illness, and 150,000 to 600,000 died from it, the fatality rate was 0.01% to 0.09 % (or between 1 in 10,000 and 9 in 10,000). The fatality rate of COVID-19 is currently estimated to be 2 %, which is obviously a lot higher.

However, the 2009/2010 pandemic had one unusual / scary feature (compared to typical flu epidemics) - it killed young people a lot more. About 80% of fatalities were under 65 years old, while for typical flu only 20% of the fatalities are under 65.

People with high risk from COVID-19 are described as "older adults" (over 60), or with existing chronic medical conditions including heart disease, lung disease, and diabetes. Smokers are also at high risk.

Just BTW, I've started to follow the twitter account of Nassim Nicholas Taleb (author of The Black Swan) for coronavirus news/opinion/advice.

https://twitter.com/nntaleb

Oh and this is a headline I expect will be remembered: "Coronavirus conference gets canceled because of coronavirus" https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-10/coronavirus-conference-gets-canceled-because-of-coronavirus

2 hours ago, N6_in_the_village said:

Sorry, that number 15 million fatalities is totally wrong, way too high. The estimates I found for deaths from the 2009/2010 H1N1 epidemic are 150,000 to 600,000 worldwide and 9,000 to 18,000 in the United States. And about 10 % to 20 % of the entire world population of 6.8 billion caught the H1N1 flu.

Since 0.68 billion to 1.36 billion people had the illness, and 150,000 to 600,000 died from it, the fatality rate was 0.01% to 0.09 % (or between 1 in 10,000 and 9 in 10,000). The fatality rate of COVID-19 is currently estimated to be 2 %, which is obviously a lot higher.

However, the 2009/2010 pandemic had one unusual / scary feature (compared to typical flu epidemics) - it killed young people a lot more. About 80% of fatalities were under 65 years old, while for typical flu only 20% of the fatalities are under 65.

People with high risk from COVID-19 are described as "older adults" (over 60), or with existing chronic medical conditions including heart disease, lung disease, and diabetes. Smokers are also at high risk.

I took my fatalities figures from an article I read.  I do see where the CDC says 150,000-600,000 people worldwide die.  So I stand corrected.

Oh and this is a headline I expect will be remembered: "Coronavirus conference gets canceled because of coronavirus" https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-10/coronavirus-conference-gets-canceled-because-of-coronavirus

I heard that this morning.  Funny.

I took my fatalities figures from an article I read.  I do see where the CDC says 150,000-600,000 people worldwide die.  So I stand corrected.

Just BTW, I've started to follow the twitter account of Nassim Nicholas Taleb (author of The Black Swan) for coronavirus news/opinion/advice.

" Nassim Nicholas Taleb is a Lebanese-American essayist, scholar, statistician, and former option trader and risk analyst, whose work concerns problems of randomness, probability, and uncertainty "

Interesting. I prefer to get virus/pandemic updates from the WHO, and the CDC. To each his own.

I just got word from my HS.

The Chicago St. Patrick’s Day parade (and associated HS events) has been CANCELLED!

A friend was planning a cruise next week - he cancelled.

At this point I’m beginning to wonder about Covid-19.  It feels like the story is getting 50%+ of most news feeds.  I don’t recall anything getting this level of attention since 9/11.  What/Who is driving the panic, and Why?

12 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

What/Who is driving the panic, and Why?

I'd say this is a very valid question. It may just be the media focusing on news that attracts eyeballs. More covid news = more eyeballs = more covid news = more eyeballs, and on and on.

I hope that's what it is. Otherwise, someone (I don't know who) must be profiting from bad news. 

1 minute ago, pfunk said:

I'd say this is a very valid question. It may just be the media focusing on news that attracts eyeballs. More covid news = more eyeballs = more covid news = more eyeballs, and on and on.

I hope that's what it is. Otherwise, someone (I don't know who) must be profiting from bad news. 

Well, the news agencies are definitely profiting.

The markets, as they say, are volatile.  But I think the oil price war between OPEC & Russia has as much to do with that.  

There are a lot of interesting questions. “Why has Italy been hit so hard?” for example.  Was Covid-19 manufactured?  Will it be seasonal?  

17 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

The Chicago St. Patrick’s Day parade (and associated HS events) has been CANCELLED!

At this point I’m beginning to wonder about Covid-19.  It feels like the story is getting 50%+ of most news feeds.  I don’t recall anything getting this level of attention since 9/11.  What/Who is driving the panic, and Why?

Bit, I believe that the media and social media is driving this story very hard.

When a new flu strain hits, the medical professionals always push real hard to wash our hands, use hand sanitizer, cover our coughs and sneezes and isolate ourselves if we have a fever or feel sick.

With our current geopolitical climate and the accessibility of the media/social media, the Covid-19 story is in our faces.

I just read that WHO has now declared this a pandemic even though they admit that this doesn’t really meet the pandemic criteria used in the past.

I for one will continue living life as I did 2 months ago before this all broke out. I will continue to use common sense regarding this virus just like I have done with colds, flu, pneumonia, bronchitis, etc.

I’ll continue to travel on business on an as needed basis domestically.  I’ll evaluate each trip to determine if I can handle this from my desk or do I really need to travel. I will eliminate foreign travel (even to Canada and Mexico) for the next month, maybe longer. Again, just using common sense here. I’ll still go to restaurants, drive Uber, maybe go to sporting events, etc. I will still hobby as before. No changes there.

Now if the people who contract the coronavirus start mutating and turning into zombies, it will definitely be time to reassess my life style. But hobbying will not stop.

39 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

I’d go a slightly different route. We can focus on the media but the pure lack of information starting from the source, China, and its response to it; locking down billions of people, making people disappear, preventing doctors from speaking on it, and whatever other measures they’ve put in place to ensure 0 info gets out including their infection and mortality rates make it a bit more scary than normal. 

Now if I go the media route and a bit of conspiracy it’s an election year and there’s generally a “major” virus when elections occur. SARS, Avian Flu, Swine Flu, MERS, Ebola, Zika, and now COVID-19. There maybe no correlation but those have all sprung up during election times. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I tend to not go this particular route because it has the potential to undermine an actual threat and people downplay it more then they probably should. 

If anything this does force people to be way more aware of just how easy it is spread diseases and how little most do to ensure they’re not passing things to others. 

On 3/11/2020 at 10:49 AM, Bit Banger said:

At this point I’m beginning to wonder about Covid-19.  It feels like the story is getting 50%+ of most news feeds.  I don’t recall anything getting this level of attention since 9/11.  What/Who is driving the pandemic, and Why?

#Ifixditforyou

2 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

Bit, I believe that the media and social media is driving this story very hard.

When a new flu strain hits, the medical professionals always push real hard to wash our hands, use hand sanitizer, cover our coughs and sneezes and isolate ourselves if we have a fever or feel sick.

With our current geopolitical climate and the accessibility of the media/social media, the Covid-19 story is in our faces.

I just read that WHO has now declared this a pandemic even though they admit that this doesn’t really meet the pandemic criteria used in the past.

I for one will continue living life as I did 2 months ago before this all broke out. I will continue to use common sense regarding this virus just like I have done with colds, flu, pneumonia, bronchitis, etc.

I’ll continue to travel on business on an as needed basis domestically.  I’ll evaluate each trip to determine if I can handle this from my desk or do I really need to travel. I will eliminate foreign travel (even to Canada and Mexico) for the next month, maybe longer. Again, just using common sense here. I’ll still go to restaurants, drive Uber, maybe go to sporting events, etc. I will still hobby as before. No changes there.

Now if the people who contract the coronavirus start mutating and turning into zombies, it will definitely be time to reassess my life style. But hobbying will not stop.

I agree whole heartily with ILW, but what else does the media have to report on, no impeachment took place, Pelosi and Shummer aren’t going anywhere and we are down to two boring candidates for the Democratic Party.   They need something to do I guess. 

8 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Was Covid-19 manufactured?

THERE IT IS!!!!

I was wondering how long it would take for the Deep State to be blamed for this!

I don't know why any of you are worried abut this, if you will remember we all died during the Cuban missile crisis when Russia nuked the US off the map. then we all died again during the cold war also at the hands of Russia. then we were all killed by SARS and now this beer virus is going to kill all of us. I can't wait to see what is going to kill us all next.

1 hour ago, lintlizard said:

THERE IT IS!!!!

I was wondering how long it would take for the Deep State to be blamed for this!

I was not referring to the Deep State, but rather to a bioweapon being created elsewhere.  China perhaps? Nor do I think, if created in some lab, that its release was intentional.

But ALL of the above is pure speculation 

How many remember the duck and cover drills we had to practice in school during the 50's and 60's?  We are all still here.

SARS?  We are all still here.

Cold War?  We are all still here.

Seine Flu?  We are all still here.

Bottom line...We are all still here.

41 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

How many remember the duck and cover drills we had to practice in school during the 50's and 60's?  We are all still here.

SARS?  We are all still here.

Cold War?  We are all still here.

Seine Flu?  We are all still here.

Bottom line...We are all still here.

This is technically untrue. 

SARS killed about 800. 

The Cold War, while not a direct shoot out between the US and USSR, caused several direct proxy wars killing millions.

Swine Flu was about a half million. 

So on a technicality, we’re not all still here. 

55 minutes ago, JoDoe27 said:

This is technically untrue. 

SARS killed about 800. 

The Cold War, while not a direct shoot out between the US and USSR, caused several direct proxy wars killing millions.

Swine Flu was about a half million. 

So on a technicality, we’re not all still here. 

I take it you're disagreeing with my post just to be argumentative.

You missed the intent of my post or just plain decided to ignore my intent.

My intent was to show that while there have been deaths from past crisis, the world has not ended and the majority of the population is still here. The corona virus will result in some deaths, but it more than likely won't result in the amount of deaths like the swine flu (or black plague for that matter), SARS or the cold war.  We need to keep a level head and use common sense and the majority of us will be okay.

We have not turned into zombies yet.  Although that may happen sometime in the future.:o:lol:

3 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

I take it you're disagreeing with my post just to be argumentative.

You missed the intent of my post or just plain decided to ignore my intent.

My intent was to show that while there have been deaths from past crisis, the world has not ended and the majority of the population is still here. The corona virus will result in some deaths, but it more than likely won't result in the amount of deaths like the swine flu (or black plague for that matter), SARS or the cold war.  We need to keep a level head and use common sense and the majority of us will be okay.

We have not turned into zombies yet.  Although that may happen sometime in the future.:o:lol:

LOL! There was a portion of my message that got left off. Not sure what happened but the rest would’ve said I get your point about not overreacting. I disagree with the full downplaying of it especially if we think people will quarantine themselves, wash their hands, and have general respect for the public. We keep comparing it to the flu but the flu is incredibly bad. And it’s not like we are simply going to get one or the other assuming you get it at all. But yes, the general rule should be to try to remain calm. 

10 minutes ago, JoDoe27 said:

LOL! There was a portion of my message that got left off. Not sure what happened but the rest would’ve said I get your point about not overreacting. I disagree with the full downplaying of it especially if we think people will quarantine themselves, wash their hands, and have general respect for the public. We keep comparing it to the flu but the flu is incredibly bad. And it’s not like we are simply going to get one or the other assuming you get it at all. But yes, the general rule should be to try to remain calm. 

Okay