gb0138

Covid-19 (2019 novel coronavirus)

145 posts in this topic

I was a seasoned cruise sailor and now I am so hesitant to book a vacation like that. It looks as if I am going to stay in Colorado for this summer. I'm OK with that there is plenty to do in this beautiful state.

All these people on the ships are to stay in the room. They let a ship debark and people got sick and died.

Now there is a second ship being held from debarking in San Francisco.

Hell NO!

I could only imagine that these people are going nuts! Especially the families with a bunch of little ones with them. 

This is minor compared to what is actually going on but I was just chiming in...

26 minutes ago, Kandi Apple said:

I was a seasoned cruise sailor and now I am so hesitant to book a vacation like that. It looks as if I am going to stay in Colorado for this summer. I'm OK with that there is plenty to do in this beautiful state.

All these people on the ships are to stay in the room. They let a ship debark and people got sick and died.

Now there is a second ship being held from debarking in San Francisco.

Hell NO!

I could only imagine that these people are going nuts! Especially the families with a bunch of little ones with them. 

This is minor compared to what is actually going on but I was just chiming in...

And then travel back home across the US, including Colorado. 

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/colorado-substitute-teacher-self-quarantines-after-returning-from-cruise-with-coronavirus-case

Wash your hands for 20scd   wash your ass and other parts longer with a wash cloth for ever !!

Edited by lustybustygina

4 hours ago, Kandi Apple said:

Have you looked at American Cruise Line.  They’re a bit pricey, but they’re a smaller shop and service is great w/shore excursions included.  Mississippi River, Columbia River, both E & W coast island chains.  Lots of options.

On 3/4/2020 at 4:22 PM, hornyoldtoad said:

i could be wrong. 

but.

the percentage is expressed as the fraction deaths over the total cases.  To get apples to apples you would really need to see the number of deaths the flu caused in its first year expressed as a fraction over the same number of current corona virus cases recorded over the same initial time frame...

i think flu death rates in the early 1900s was about 2%.  and i believe the corana virus is currently about 1.4%

so many more flu cases recorded each year makes the percentage smaller even though the actual number of fatalities is so much higher and truthfully more telling...

i'd be willing to bet an hour with your ATF that you will never see 360,000 deaths in a corona virus season...

but.

i could be wrong.

I question some of the above. Death rates from most flu varieties are 0.1 % (1 in 1000) and that hasn't changed in a long time. Also (unfortunately for older people) the death rate from flu, and also from COVID-19, increases rapidly with age above 60.

There was one flu epidemic that was much deadlier - the "Spanish flu" of 1918-1919. That had one especially scary aspect - the death rate among young and middle-aged adults was as high as among the elderly. That virus had a mutation that caused it to provoke an extreme over-reaction of the immune system in many people (look up "cytokine storm") and the immune over-reaction itself was the cause of death. Fortunately that behavior hasn't been seen again in any viral epidemic since then.

I've read that the worldwide number of deaths from the Spanish flu isn't known because the record-keeping was so poor. Estimates are "from 17 million to 100 million". Yikes! That's partly because it occurred at the end of World War I when many governments and nations were on the verge of collapse.

The reason Spanish flu is called Spanish flu is also interesting. It definitely didn't start in Spain. But most European nations were under wartime censorship and their governments simply suppressed news of the epidemic and deaths. In 1918 Spain was not in the war, and had a relatively free press. When the flu reached Spain from France in November 1918, newspapers there were allowed to carry articles about it.

9 hours ago, gb0138 said:

Now WHO is saying the death rate as close to 3.4%. Yikes!! 

That the ratio of deaths to infections confirmed by testing. Testing is very incomplete so the true rate may be lower. But even if the rate is "only" 2%, that's 20 times worse than a flu epidemic, which is really bad (flu kills a lot of people).

Also, some other pre-existing illnesses greatly increase the risk of death. I found the following:

Death rate from COVID-19, depending on pre-existing condition:

+ cardiovascular disease: 10.5 %

+ diabetes: 7.3 %

+ chronic respiratory (lung) disease: 6.3 %

+ high blood pressure: 6.0 %

+ cancer: 5.6 %

no pre-existing serious illness: 0.9 %

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

On 2/29/2020 at 5:57 PM, lintlizard said:

There are a few things everyone can do with communicable diseases:

Wash your hands regularly

Cover your mouth when coughing

Eat healthy

Don't smoke

"If you get COVID-19, you’re unlikely to get seriously sick and even less likely to die, especially if you are otherwise healthy."  -  Popular Science

That is exactly why most of us are here. Some to eat a meaty taco some to slurp juices ... etc. Yet covid is not a joke

On 3/4/2020 at 4:14 PM, gb0138 said:

I guess you understand doublespeak. I do notI guess you understand doublespeak. I do not

Judging by that incoherent response I can see how easily you'd misinterpret what the President said. Or grasp based on your revolting wish to see harm to Trump, let alone anyone. 

I find it interesting how the Chinese government has LOCKED DOWN entire cities in response to the COVID 19 epidemic, and the U.S. government has lowered interest rates....

Communism vs. Capitolism - in this instance I think the commies are on the right track....

4 hours ago, lintlizard said:

I find it interesting how the Chinese government has LOCKED DOWN entire cities in response to the COVID 19 epidemic, and the U.S. government has lowered interest rates....

Communism vs. Capitolism - in this instance I think the commies are on the right track....

You may want to think about HOW they LOCK DOWN their country.  What mechanisms they have in place to enforce this?  What happens if you violate quarantine?  Is that a society you would care to live in?

With the freedoms of capitalism comes with a good deal of risk and personal responsibility.  

23 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

You may want to think about HOW they LOCK DOWN their country.  What mechanisms they have in place to enforce this?  What happens if you violate quarantine?  Is that a society you would care to live in?

With the freedoms of capitalism comes with a good deal of risk and personal responsibility.  

Look, it's an election year, and the economy often makes or breaks a candidate.

What is more important to this incumbent president - a healthy economy, or a healthy citizenry? 

It's a sad fact of capitalism that money is often times more valuable than human life, and especially so with our current chief asshat.

'nuff said

Edited by lintlizard

10 minutes ago, lintlizard said:

Look, it's an election year, and the economy often makes or breaks a candidate.

What is more important to this incumbent president - a healthy economy, or a healthy citizenry? 

It's a sad fact of capitalism that money is often times more valuable than human life, and especially so with our current chief asshat.

'nuff said

Question: Have you visited PRC?  Or for that matter any Communist country?  I have.  You speak of healthy.  What do you think of hauling night soil from the inner city in buckets on bicycles into the fields for fertilizer.  What do you think of being told where to live? Of being told what your job will be? Of how many children you may have?  These are facts of life in China.

The USA is as a whole a healthier environment than China.  There is also a lot more going on in this country besides a panic about Covid.  The gears of industry don’t stop because some people are getting sick.  At this point there are more people dying in traffic accidents.  Should we all stop driving?  If we lock down the country, how many will suffer because the just-in-time supply chains of food and other essentials have been disrupted?  How many will end up w/o a paycheck to pay their bills while businesses are closed?

Yes, we need to be aware of Covid and take reasonable precautions.  But we also need to maintain a sense of proportion and continue with our way of life.

Thankfully, we have Orange Toupet to handle the crisis.....:lol:

11 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Question: Have you visited PRC?  Or for that matter any Communist country?  I have.  You speak of healthy.  What do you think of hauling night soil from the inner city in buckets on bicycles into the fields for fertilizer.  What do you think of being told where to live? Of being told what your job will be? Of how many children you may have?  These are facts of life in China.

The USA is as a whole a healthier environment than China.  There is also a lot more going on in this country besides a panic about Covid.  The gears of industry don’t stop because some people are getting sick.  At this point there are more people dying in traffic accidents.  Should we all stop driving?  If we lock down the country, how many will suffer because the just-in-time supply chains of food and other essentials have been disrupted?  How many will end up w/o a paycheck to pay their bills while businesses are closed?

Yes, we need to be aware of Covid and take reasonable precautions.  But we also need to maintain a sense of proportion and continue with our way of life.

Banger - I totally agree with you!

What troubles me is that our democracy is now largely controlled and manipulated by less than 1% of Americans. We have essentially become a plutocracy, and are no longer a democracy. Yes, it's still largely in the American public's hands to "vote the scoundrels" out of office, but it's increasingly unlikely that it will happen when public opinion is based on fiction that become facts in our news cycles, and public policy is communicated with 280 characters in a tweet.

Addressing public health concerns with economic policy is a little f____ed up.

7 minutes ago, lintlizard said:

What troubles me is that our democracy is now largely controlled and manipulated by less than 1% of Americans. We have essentially become a plutocracy, and are no longer a democracy. 

News flash!  It’s been that way since voting qualifications were: male, 25+, land owner.

Besides we were never a democracy (thankfully), we’re a republic.  But every increase in federalism is an increase in the plutocracy. (Is that related to Pluto, Mickey’s sidekick?😁). We’re being ruled by bureaucrats, instead of our elected representatives.  The President & Congress may set the tone, but agencies write the rules.  In truth this fearless leader is just as _____ as the previous fearless leader.

Just now, SultryKitten said:

tenor.png

Eventually, yes!

I only know of one “reported” case that refutes this assertion.

I was being a smartass with this meme. People need to quit worrying and freaking out over a virus that has been around before. Some people need to quit following the media masses so much, and get out for some fresh air.

Xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

34 minutes ago, lintlizard said:

We have essentially become a plutocracy, and are no longer a democracy

Don't worry about what anyone says. Just because you know absolutely nothing about civics in no way discredits your expertise in infectious disease. 

People just need to get an effing grip on reality 

29 minutes ago, SultryKitten said:

I was being a smartass with this meme. People need to quit worrying and freaking out over a virus that has been around before. Some people need to quit following the media masses so much, and get out for some fresh air.

Xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

That is just it.  This particular strain has NOT been around before.  The general family of corona virus has been identified and known since the 1960's.  Numerous "colds" and "flu" have in reality been from relatively harmless corona virus strains and were misdiagnosed as cold or flu.  Then mutations occur (frequent and common in viruses!!) resulting in not so harmless strains.  Remember SARS and MERS?  Both were very aggressively attacked to stop their spread.  SARS had a death to case rate of over 10 percent.  MERS was far worse.  Both were corona viruses. This new strain is a very close relative and most nearly resembles SARS when compared to other coronas.  COVID 19 is NOT the fucking common cold no matter what Rush and the boys are trying to tell everyone.  Meanwhile the guy in the White House who has never seen a science paper or national security service assessment that he believes is only concerned about preserving his main re-election point - the economy (which is a totally false narrative to begin with!!).  So he marches out Ben Carson, md and lunatic in charge of a federal department, this morning to basically say don't worry be happy, sure some old farts with underlying conditions will die, but so what.  Plan for cruise ship docking on west coast tomorrow (quarantine, don't quarantine, keep on ship, allow off, etc.) ....... uh, we haven't formulated one yet!!! Once they do I am sure the plan will be "beautiful and perfect."  And his scapegoat in chief Pence can scarcely get a statement out of his mouth before some other admin luminary contradicts him.  Situation normal ...... deny, divert, lie, and confuse.  Wave flags and red caps and brag of all the things done for "us" that are just falsehoods.  A very, very sad time in which we live.  And yes, the far left are just as bad or worse.  If you all vote for either ................. aw, hell, never mind,  why change now with such sterling results???

52 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

People just need to get an effing grip on reality 

I agree completely!!  The problem is there is so much hype, disinformation, outright lies and bullshit out there masquerading as fact (and that is just form the guvmint!!) that it takes a lot of time and real effort to figure out what is truly reality.

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

Eventually, yes!

I only know of one “reported” case that refutes this assertion.

I know of at least two.  What one are you referring to? :)

On 3/4/2020 at 3:57 PM, contrails said:

Personally, I think your comment is disgusting yet so typical of the left. I'd keep an eye for karma with thoughts like that. 

Like everything MSM does, and many fall for, he didn't refer to the "virus" as a hoax but the politicizing from the democrats. 

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trump-and-the-new-hoax/

Day one he generically referred to thee situation as a hoax.  Reasonable people could interpret either way - the seriousness of virus was a hoax or the dem's position was a hoax.  Fed the faithful.  Next day he walks it back (like he has a thousand times before on other shit) with how could anyone think he meant that?!?

On 3/4/2020 at 4:08 PM, contrails said:

However, I'll  be honest, I am scared shitless about this now. I'm not going to rumor monger and post what he said but I do believe we are on the cusp of a very serious pandemic. If what he said is true, and I have no doubt believing him, we are going to be seriously fucked. 

So which is it?  The dem's howl over not enough being done was a hoax or we are fucked??

We may be headed towards a pandemic, but we aren’t there as of today.

Every few years a strain of flu virus comes through that is a pandemic.

The last pandemic from a virus was 2009/2010. In that year, the H1N1 killed over 15 million people worldwide. The H1N1 mutated, evolved and infected people at an extremely fast pace. At the time the advice from the medical experts stressed all the normal things we should be doing for preventing the spread of the flu...wash your hands, use hand sanitizer, cover your coughs, stay home if you’re sick. In addition, they stressed to not panic. Events weren’t cancelled, people didn’t empty store shelves in a panic. We all kept our wits about us and reality was maintained. All the same things we are being told to do today.

The difference between 2009/2010 and 2020 is social media. People are not facing reality and are willing to listen to social media blow this completely out of proportion.

We as a society need to get a grip and use common sense about the coronavirus.

Im not saying this isn’t something to be concerned about.

What I’m saying is remain calm, use common sense and don’t panic. Panicking will not help anything. Use good hygiene practices. Stay home if your sick or exhibiting cold or flu symptoms. Just like you should have done 5 years ago.

And for fuck sake...quit blaming a political party or a single political person for the coronavirus and spread of mis-information.

This is not a politically caused situation by Republicans or Democrats.

This is a medical issue and the medical experts are the best and only source we should be relying on.

I apologize for this long rant. But I had to get this off my chest.

38 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

I know of at least two.  What one are you referring to? :)

I was referring to Jesus. But now that I think of it, perhaps Buddha should be included.

Your list?

9 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

The difference between 2009/2010 and 2020 is social media. People are not facing reality and are willing to listen to social media blow this completely out of proportion.

Well social media blows everything out of proportion for those foolish enough to believe.  Bigger difference - in this country we had both vaccine for flu with better than 50 percent effectiveness, anti-viral meds with a good degree of effectiveness, and decades of experience doing "support services" for those with flu.  literally NONE of that applies to the current topic.  No matter how it is spun or denied, this is not the same thing by any stretch.  With any luck at all the strain will simply run its course and vanish, but depending on luck runs counter to my nature.

9 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

Well social media blows everything out of proportion for those foolish enough to believe.  Bigger difference - in this country we had both vaccine for flu with better than 50 percent effectiveness, anti-viral meds with a good degree of effectiveness, and decades of experience doing "support services" for those with flu.  literally NONE of that applies to the current topic.  No matter how it is spun or denied, this is not the same thing by any stretch.  With any luck at all the strain will simply run its course and vanish, but depending on luck runs counter to my nature.

5 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

I was referring to Jesus. But now that I think of it, perhaps Buddha should be included.

Your list?

Well for openers you miss a major plank of a major religion. Jesus did indeed die, he was just resurrected, a not so subtle key point. I referred to Elijah and Mohammed - both alleged to have been taken directly to heaven.  Not to say I believe the second - I certainly do not. B)