Calik8

Holidays do you celebrate? If yes then how?

23 posts in this topic

It’s the holidays and I curious if you celebrate?

what are your traditions for the holidays?

Personally make oyster stew on Christmas Eve and pozole  on New Year’s Eve. 

Celebrate Christmas with family. New Years Eve...have no plans at this time,can't drive...so will take suggestions. Usually in LA for legendary NYE parties,but that is just not possible these days.

Oyster chowder for Christmas Eve - Yes.

I tend to not celebrate New Year’s Eve (too many ghosts), but here at the ranch our Canadian friends invite us to celebrate a Levee with Moose Milk on New Year’s Day.

We (brothers and sisters) used to get together at Mom and Dad's, and exchange presents. Then have a turkey, or ham dinner.

Now that the parents are gone, we get together, at a restaurant, for a holiday dinner between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

New Years Eve I stay safe, and stay home! :P

family. food. festive. fun.

new years board games till 10pm then home to be safe.

for someone who is on 3-5 flights a week all year now, it is so nice to just be able to stay home for a little while - celebration enough right there:)

When my family is all together, usually in Texas our traditions are I make Cioppino on Christmas Eve then after dinner we open our presents. Christmas Day we have a Christmas Brunch or Lunch then head out to see a movie together.  This year the fam in CO are meeting Christmas day for Ciopinno and presents and movie. ❤

I would love to try your oyster stew or your pazole! Mmmm....

Edited by Hunter VanDyke

16 hours ago, Calik8 said:

pozole  on New Year’s Eve. 

Most my family, even cousins, make Menudo for the holidays. If your lucky it includes pigs feet:P!!

So Pozole, pssssssshhhhhhh……….

5 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

I make Cioppino on Christmas Eve 

Is that like Bouillabaisse? As I love that. Sadly, it's hard to find. 

8 minutes ago, parkercole said:

There’s a restaurant here in the RGV (2 locations actually) that serves a decent bouillabaisse as a weekly special. 😋

As you can imagine, many serve menudo and pizole.

Edited by Bit Banger

30 minutes ago, parkercole said:

Yes, it is a seafood stew. It's not hard to make, and there are many variations. Delicious with some crusty bread. 

It's gonna be a low key Christmas day.  One of my housemates is having a medical procedure done next Monday, so I'll be at home helping with his recovery from surgery.  Although I will probably still cook something tasty and will be talking with folks on the phone.  Though low key, I still expect it to be a fine day.

10 hours ago, average1 said:

It's gonna be a low key Christmas day.  One of my housemates is having a medical procedure done next Monday, so I'll be at home helping with his recovery from surgery.  Although I will probably still cook something tasty and will be talking with folks on the phone.  Though low key, I still expect it to be a fine day.

That’s so kind of you to help him with his recovery 💗

Apparently everyone failed to remember National Emo Day.  Today.  First day of Christmas my true love gave to me a MCR stream. B)

23 hours ago, parkercole said:

Most my family, even cousins, make Menudo for the holidays. If your lucky it includes pigs feet:P!!

So Pozole, pssssssshhhhhhh……….

I have a friends who makes his with pigs feet, and its soooo yummy! 2nd best I've ever had!

15 hours ago, average1 said:

You're a good friend. Anytime there is love on Christmas, it's a beautiful day. 💙

3 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

I have a friends who makes his with pigs feet, and its soooo yummy! 2nd best I've ever had!

Have you ever had chicken's feet? I was in Seattle a few weeks back. Stopped by an awesome Din Sum restaurant in Chinatown-International District. I gave them a try. I really liked them! 

Good for you that you like Menudo and pigs feet. That's a win-win!!!

Edited by parkercole

Stewed pinto beans and pigs feet with Bannock bread for xmas.  Smoked homemade pizza, premium beer and some bowl games for NY. Happy Holidays.

Had a younger brother pass away about 3 yrs ago. He would bring a pot of mutton stew to ma's house and simmer it all morning.  Stunk up the whole house.  I miss that smell.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:22 AM, pfunk said:

We (brothers and sisters) used to get together at Mom and Dad's, and exchange presents. Then have a turkey, or ham dinner.

Now that the parents are gone, we get together, at a restaurant, for a holiday dinner between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

New Years Eve I stay safe, and stay home! :P

I'm the same way on New Year's Eve.  Sometimes I will visit friends who are a short distance away, but we are all "permanent designated drivers".  My friends and I call New Year's Eve....."Amateur Night".  

Hope you and your family have a great holiday season.

One of the advantages of winter here at the ranch:

Festivities (Holiday or otherwise) are just a few hundred yards away.  At most, some folks ride their golf carts to the club house, but the majority walk.

I spend the majority of the holidays putting together Lego kits and playing videogames with my little girl, playing board games with friends and family, and drinking lots of whine. 

Christmas dinner with my brothers & sisters and nieces & nephews. Presents after dessert.

New Years Day is boiled shrimp.