Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
meganrae28

Colfax Stories

40 posts in this topic

I was walking down Colfax yesterday (shut the fuck up, I was going to the used book store) and it brought back so many seedy, hilarious memories.

The time I saw a guy passed out, face down on the sidewalk, dressed as Neal Diamond while someone picked his pockets.

The time I got free cover at Detours (lesbian bar) for showing my tits. Then a one-armed biker chick bought me tequila shots all night.

What are your Colfax memories?

Ah yes, when I first came to Denver I stayed in an awful little motel on Colfax near Quebec St. It wasn't the worst place I'd ever stayed, but it was pretty bad for sure. Cheap though, and I love a good deal! ;)

use to go the hollywood poster shop when i was a teenager and read the playboys.....wasn't bad for $2...

Buddies and I went into Sid King's and watch this performer blow out two of those tear away paper match books with a queef. Everyone there thought that was impressive. :eek:

Buddies and I went into Sid King's and watch this performer blow out two of those tear away paper match books with a queef. Everyone there thought that was impressive. :eek:

I remember a dancer at Saturdays who did that for openers. Her real trick was shooting ping pong balls across the stage into your drink.

The time I saw a guy passed out, face down on the sidewalk, dressed as Neal Diamond while someone picked his pockets.

The time I got free cover at Detours (lesbian bar) for showing my tits. Then a one-armed biker chick bought me tequila shots all night.

I've only lived in CO since March so Colfax is unknown to me...

But can we hang out sometime? LOL

Concerts at the Bluebird, the Filmore, the Ogden were favorites. So many crazy nights in so many bars on Colfax and in Cherry Creek. I think I saw that same passed out drunk guy a few times.

I recently talked with my girlfriend from that time after finding her using Google. Turns out she's a lesbian. That explains alot! She sure loved Burlesque! One amazing, adventurous gal who I am happy to have shared life with, sister.

geecue2 we must have been there the same night. I stayed and watched her three times.

Hell yes! You can do ping pong balls, but my thing has always been golf balls. I was a country club kid so I keep it classy.

Hell yes! You can do ping pong balls, but my thing has always been golf balls. I was a country club kid so I keep it classy.

Good to have you back, LMAO. :D

"Distance" or "Control" golf balls? A guy's gotta know.

See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colfax_Avenue

Parts of it are infamous,have many a Colfax story. Recall that back in the 80's , I worked part time as a DJ at Saturdays for just under a year. During blizzards ,the local street walkers would keep discounting themselves as they followed employees and customers out of that club. They simply wanted to get out of the cold.

There's control balls? I'm assuming these aren't the balls you get a bucket of at the driving range? This could be my problem.

Fore! Did I say country club? I meant Kountry Kitchen.

Anyway, there is also a movie about Colfax. And a Clint Eastwood movie was filmed on the east end but I forget the name of it.

"Distance" or "Control" golf balls? A guy's gotta know.
Edited by meganrae28
OCD

There's control balls? I'm assuming these aren't the balls you get a bucket of at the driving range? This could be my problem.

Fore! Did I say country club? I meant Kountry Kitchen.

Anyway, there is also a movie about Colfax. And a Clint Eastwood movie was filmed on the east end but I forget the name of it.

I believe the movie was called "Any Which Way You Can". A couple of scenes of the movie was filmed in the old Zanzabar Bar on East Colfax.

And I think "Vanishing Point" had scenes on west Colfax

The Bluebird Theatre was a XXX Theatre back in the 70's & 80's

Moved there - just off Colfax on Pearl St - in the late 60's after high school. WHAT an education for a guy from a small town.

Saw my first hooker - streetwalker - whore - whatever.

Saw my first wine-o.

Saw my first stabbing/murder.

Saw my first gay bar - the Pink Elephant.

Visited Sid Kings Crazy Horse Bar for the first time.

Went to my first adult book store - the ones with the live entertainment booths.

Passed out drunk guys were common.

Many more memories - I am smiling about them now.

What are your Colfax memories?
I grew up in Aurora, so I knew a looooooong time ago to stay off of Colfax east, west or central. Only fond memories I have are Apple Tree Shanty, Knight's Buffet and the drive-in movie theatre!

Getting a blow job in one of the booths at the Satire Lounge in the '70s from a streetwalker. Later the waitress told me to come back sometime and she'd show me how it was really done. Wasn't my type and I have never been back to the place!

Lots of good shows at Sid King's...

Anyway, there is also a movie about Colfax.

"Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead" might be it. They filmed some scenes on Colfax, among other locations around town (eg. Union Station and the alleys behind Wynkoop St).

Either I'm just oblivious, or Colfax isn't that bad on the west end. I regularly go to a walmart on Colfax and never see shit:confused:

I grew up in Aurora, so I knew a looooooong time ago to stay off of Colfax east, west or central. Only fond memories I have are Apple Tree Shanty, Knight's Buffet and the drive-in movie theatre!

I lost my virginity at the old East Drive-in back in the mid 60's (first wife). Fond memories.

Used to go the Satire Lounge every Saturday night after the races at Englewood Speedway...never saw a hooker there, but then again I was with my second wife. Took wife #2 to Sid Kings and saw dancer that was in a couple of my engineering classes at Metro..we had something to talk about after that at school.

I haven't seen many movies, but "Things to do in Denver When you are Dead" is one of my favorites, and indeed it has some footage of Colfax. Gotta see it again one of these days!

Going WAY back, I remember going to Mammoth Gardens (now Fillmore Auditorium) for some fabulous concerts including Jimi Hendrix and the Grateful Dead. Must have been about 1968-69. At the Dead concert, they kept everyone waiting outside in long lines, and when they finally opened the doors, the Dead were already on stage playing. I recall there being several other top bands playing during that period but don't remember who all I saw, as that was a time of cloudy thinking secondary to an excess of recreational substances. The Doors might have been one of them.

Either I'm just oblivious, or Colfax isn't that bad on the west end.

I'm voting oblivious.

But, seriously, if it's like days of yore, it goes in cycles. When Denver/Aurora cracks down on the east side, the street walkers go west until Lakewood/Denver clamp down. Rinse, repeat.

Oh-oh...Hendrix was at Regis Auditorium, not Mammoth Gardens. I hate it when my brain does that...

When I was new to the scene, I took a trip to the good old Mon chalet. That was a freaky place if you ask me...

I watched a guy blow his load in the pool....

Out of there I went!

No wonder it is on Colfax....Lol

Going WAY back, I remember going to Mammoth Gardens (now Fillmore Auditorium) for some fabulous concerts including Jimi Hendrix and the Grateful Dead. Must have been about 1968-69. At the Dead concert, they kept everyone waiting outside in long lines, and when they finally opened the doors, the Dead were already on stage playing. I recall there being several other top bands playing during that period but don't remember who all I saw, as that was a time of cloudy thinking secondary to an excess of recreational substances. The Doors might have been one of them.

Mammoth Gardens - hell yeah! First time I saw the Who was at Mammoth. Caught the Doors in Denver about that period, but pretty sure they played the DU field house. Perhaps they came through more than once. Now of course I was a mere toddler at the time ..... heh, heh, right!

I've lived on Colfax twice. When I was young and fresh off the farm I had a second job remodeling some apartments behind smiley's laundromat at night. I had worked 18 hours and was driving home about 11:30 when I saw a very pretty young lady hitch hiking. I was dirty and stinky and life really sucked. I really just wanted some good karma so I stopped to give her a ride. She made small talk while I was slumped over the steering wheel. She leaned over to me and whispered "You know I date" and I looked at her and said " First I give you a ride and now you want me to take you to the movies?" I thought the was gonna fall out of the car she laughed so hard.

I've lived on Colfax twice. When I was young and fresh off the farm I had a second job remodeling some apartments behind smiley's laundromat at night. I had worked 18 hours and was driving home about 11:30 when I saw a very pretty young lady hitch hiking. I was dirty and stinky and life really sucked. I really just wanted some good karma so I stopped to give her a ride. She made small talk while I was slumped over the steering wheel. She leaned over to me and whispered "You know I date" and I looked at her and said " First I give you a ride and now you want me to take you to the movies?" I thought the was gonna fall out of the car she laughed so hard.

Damn. These stories are good. I grew up in Los Angeles. I never partook, but I often passed the infamous Hollywood and Vine in the 1990s, and the crackdown had not yet taken place.