gr8owl

•Safe reporting-Law for Sex Workers

25 posts in this topic

The threads previously mentioning this are kinda buried, so here we go.  This IMHO is a very much needed change of law and long overdue.  Amazingly it sounds like it may actually get enacted.  Doesn't hurt to tell your elected ones to do it, now while they are considering.

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/03/17/sex-workers-safe-reporting-colorado-legislature/

I wish they had this a few years ago when I had my stalker. It would have been a game changer.... 

I hope this makes it through the process.  It is long overdue.

Now we need to decriminalize prostitution. This might be a step. 

I have a few that if this passes they might want to reconsider the next time they reach out to me especially if stalking is one I can report. I truly hope this passes. 

45 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

Thank you for the update @gr8owl Reading the article you posted, and following the sources. I am posting the statistics: “Sex workers are victims of crime almost every single day,” said bill sponsor Sen. Rhonda Fields, D-Aurora. “Just because you do that kind of work, doesn’t mean that you should not elevate your hand when you are experiencing sexual assault. It shouldn’t be about your profession that you are chilled and silenced.”

Supporters of the bill described sex workers as “easy targets” who are specifically chosen by criminals because they are less likely to go to the police.

Of adult sex workers, 82% have been physically assaulted, 83% have been threatened with a weapon, 68% have been violently raped and 84% were or are currently homeless, according to the Academic Journal of Women’s Health.

Edited by Caressa Duval

Further information.  Attached is a link to the bill, I believe as approved.  Worth noting, it applies to a specific but lengthy list of crimes that can be reported with immunity from being charged with prostitution.  The list of crimes starts on page 3.  It also appears that it will go into effect immediately upon signature by governor rather than waiting until January 1 per Section 2.  If I find that it was further amended I will post again, but I believe this was the final version.

https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2022A/bills/2022a_1288_rer.pdf

On 3/27/2022 at 1:57 PM, Madison Taylor said:

I have a few that if this passes they might want to reconsider the next time they reach out to me especially if stalking is one I can report. I truly hope this passes. 

see link to bill I posted.  Yes, stalking is on the list of crimes that can be reported (stalking as defined in statute!!) with immunity from arrest for prostitution as a result of information received as part of reporting the other crimes.  Repeat, stalking as defined in current statute and repeat as a result of information received in reporting the other crimes..

5 hours ago, Caressa Duval said:

Thank you for the update @gr8owl Reading the article you posted, and following the sources. I am posting the statistics: “Sex workers are victims of crime almost every single day,” said bill sponsor Sen. Rhonda Fields, D-Aurora. “Just because you do that kind of work, doesn’t mean that you should not elevate your hand when you are experiencing sexual assault. It shouldn’t be about your profession that you are chilled and silenced.”

Supporters of the bill described sex workers as “easy targets” who are specifically chosen by criminals because they are less likely to go to the police.

Of adult sex workers, 82% have been physically assaulted, 83% have been threatened with a weapon, 68% have been violently raped and 84% were or are currently homeless, according to the Academic Journal of Women’s Health.

In the past I have held Sen. Fields in very low esteem.  Her support of this bill has improved her image in my eyes.

Governor Polis signed it today.  It is now effective and the law in Colorado. :)

I'm so glad they included stalking in the bill.  We are major targets for stalkers.  Most providers I know haven fallen victim to stalking at least once, if not multiple times.  

6 minutes ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

I'm so glad they included stalking in the bill.  We are major targets for stalkers.  Most providers I know haven fallen victim to stalking at least once, if not multiple times.  

I hope this law helps.  But I feel it is important to point out that the "stalking" has to meet the statutory definition of "stalking."  Ditto the other crimes on the list.  The copy of the law I linked previously has the list of crimes you can reeport without fear of getting arrested yourself.  Each one lists a section of law to look for the statutory definition/description of each crime.  So before assuming you are covered, check the list and reference for what you would be reporting.

I wish this post could be pinned to the top. Maybe, with a title change like "Colorado Safe Reporting Law for Sex Workers". Sex Workers either existing, new, or visiting Colorado need to know that this law took effect immediately on 5-2-2022. The Sex Workers need to know they have protection in Colorado. We do not have to be threatened with bodily harm, assaulted, raped, beaten, or stalked anymore! It needs to be known to every bad dangerous client, that they can not target us anymore. We can out you in jail!!!

I feel we should spread this law through Twitter, Instagram, our forums, blacklists ect. I am even considering putting a page on my website linking the law,  just to let the bad clients know, Don't Even Bother Contacting Me!

Here is the signed law: https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/2022a_1288_signed.pdf

I would also like to provide my fellow sex workers with a resource. The Sex Workers Outreach Program USA. They are for the people that want to provide sex work, not be rescued of reformed. This organization fights to build rights for Sex Workers. The have an amazing resource page, and 24 hour number. It is a nationwide organization with  resources in every state. It may be tough for some to still feel comfortable just calling the police. I feel this place would be able to find us advocates to help us navigate reaching out to the police.

https://swopusa.org/resources/

Stay safe ladies! Get real life information! You can't report a person for assaulting you, if you have only a handle or fake name. Make sure they have a phone number with a major carrier like At&T, Verizon, T-mobile. These Voip and text app numbers can't be traced.

Edited by Caressa Duval

38 minutes ago, Caressa Duval said:

I wish this post could be pinned to the top. Maybe, with a title change like "Colorado Safe Reporting Law for Sex Workers". Sex Workers either existing, new, or visiting Colorado need to know that this law took effect immediately on 5-2-2022. The Sex Workers need to know they have protection in Colorado. We do not have to be threatened with bodily harm, assaulted, raped, beaten, or stalked anymore! It needs to be known to every bad dangerous client, that they can not target us anymore. We can out you in jail!!!

Pinning sounds like a very good idea.  Threads get buried and this is important info.

This new protection-intending law is very good news and I hope it results in more safety and protection for everyone.

That said, developing legal protection improvements in governmental law is one thing, but actually experiencing improvements based on how officers, bureaucrats, prosecutors, and defenders use the new law to protect vulnerable participants and victims may be another. Only time will tell. At least this law on the books is a first step in a healthier direction. In the meantime, it may be good for participants to note Caressa Duval's referral to a resource page that includes a phone number a provider can call anytime for help or information.

Personally, I hope us friends and participants can care for each other by listening, respecting boundaries while giving providers the benefit of doubt, learning how to communicate so we can feel comfortable with and trust each other, which can include asking permission to ask a question and/or crucial communications, such as honest boundary clarifications, and comfort each other with our presence.

Edited by sweetmoment

22 hours ago, Caressa Duval said:

I agree this is very important information. I know a few providers who just recently within the past few days were threatened to be raped, mutilated and murdered by a client who was messaging them. It is extremely disturbing to be faced with this kind of behavior, especially when all the provider did was say they were not able to see the person. Threats of this matter are never ok no matter what the circumstance, but let me be clear. WE providers can choose to see who we want, and when we want to see them, just as clients choose to see who they want too. Making threats or getting pissed off because we are not available of whatever the situation is, will NEVER work out for you in the end. All it does is ensure you will have a difficult time seeing any provider in the future, because word gets around about clients who make threats and harass providers. 

42 minutes ago, Marilyn Desire said:

I agree this is very important information. I know a few providers who just recently within the past few days were threatened to be raped, mutilated and murdered by a client who was messaging them. It is extremely disturbing to be faced with this kind of behavior, especially when all the provider did was say they were not able to see the person. Threats of this matter are never ok no matter what the circumstance, but let me be clear. WE providers can choose to see who we want, and when we want to see them, just as clients choose to see who they want too. Making threats or getting pissed off because we are not available of whatever the situation is, will NEVER work out for you in the end. All it does is ensure you will have a difficult time seeing any provider in the future, because word gets around about clients who make threats and harass providers. 

Yes, these last recent incidences are what compelled me to post this!! Clients need to know Sex Worker's second trained profession is Private Investigator.  A person does these horrific things word will spread like wildfire! All the providers pool their resources, contact their private screeners, and many times the kind long-timer clients track them down along side us. Try as we may, a person with intent to harm will eventually do it and usually more than once. WE NEED THIS LAW!

I love Colorado for this reason . Sex workers shouldn't be silenced while being targeted by criminals. We're people too who deserve protection from the law. I'm glad we have a reasonable governor. 

On 7/17/2022 at 4:54 PM, Caressa Duval said:

I wish this post could be pinned to the top. Maybe, with a title change like "Colorado Safe Reporting Law for Sex Workers". 

%100 agree! Sticky, please!

Just a friendly reminder this law exists. If any ladies want to discuss this law with me, reach out any time!

On 3/17/2022 at 5:18 PM, gr8owl said:

The threads previously mentioning this are kinda buried, so here we go.  This IMHO is a very much needed change of law and long overdue.  Amazingly it sounds like it may actually get enacted.  Doesn't hurt to tell your elected ones to do it, now while they are considering.

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/03/17/sex-workers-safe-reporting-colorado-legislature/

It’s a good start but I know many girls who have been raped or experienced abuse but are still scared to come forward. If you haven’t watched the new Netflix documentary Unbelieveable watch that and you will have a new understanding of why us women don’t come forward even when it’s supposed to be safe!

On 2/11/2024 at 7:43 PM, Thisana Samui said:

It’s a good start but I know many girls who have been raped or experienced abuse but are still scared to come forward. If you haven’t watched the new Netflix documentary Unbelieveable watch that and you will have a new understanding of why us women don’t come forward even when it’s supposed to be safe!

Please post the link