BigBaldBlk

09112001 0646 Where Were You

16 posts in this topic

Even with all of the political bullsh!t over the past few years, I think the last thing that brought AMERICANS together was the tragic events of this day.  Do you remember what you were doing when you first heard the news? 

For me, I was on my way to work when I heard about the first tower being hit.  When I got to work the second tower was hit.  Next, just glued to my computer and tv watching the events unfold of the day.

What were you doing at 6:46am Mountain time or when you first heard of OUR country under attack?

I was in college on the west cost, and was getting ready to head to class. I had the morning news on as I got ready.  The news broke and as many of us we saw the second tower get hit live. One of things of many that still brings me to tears, was the man on the plane that crashed in the field. He called his wife to tell her he loves her, and that the passengers were going to fight back. They did fight back and that plane went down in an empty field in  Pennsylvania saving an unknown amount of lives.  Even right now I can hear that man's voice :(

On my way to work.  I heard "plane hits WTC" and envisioned a Cessna- sized aircraft since something similar had happened in NYC before. I was in new hire training at a new job. Spent the whole training session alternating between watching TV and trying to reach friends and colleagues whom I knew were travelling that day.

I was just a kid in school wondering why all my teachers were crying. My teacher who’s from Turkey explained to us what terrorism is. It was a reality check. Couldn’t really be in our own little worlds after that. 

It was my first day on assignment in central Missouri, I was at the location when news was broadcast. Watched on TV's that were set up. That afternoon checked with local gas station on gasoline, they said they had plenty but next morning price was up over a dollar a gallon. Had a rough time getting back to Denver of the following Friday since all aircraft were grounded.

I was driving up Kipling and KOA radio announced the first plane had hit. I went into King Soopers at Kipling and Florida and watched  the second one hit on their break room television. Then went up to Kings on Green Mountain and went to the break room and watched the first tower collapse. Brutal! 

I was minutes away from being wheels up and nowhere to land!  I had an afternoon meeting in mid-town and as I pulled into the airport, local radio announced a fire in one of the two towers. I boarded the small commuter flight as usual. We taxied to the end of the runway, revved the engines and then just sat there. After a bit, the captain came on to say that the fire wasn't a fire and that LaGuardia was shut down. We would taxi back, deplane and be told more. The day and the news went from there. I had some partners who had flown in on the company plane the night before. Their getting out and back home was a very complicated deal. 

I was home and still in bed.  My wife at the time called and said to turn on the TV that a plane had just hit the WTC.   I turned on the TV and saw the Pentagon being hit.  I let her know it was the Pentagon, not the WTC.  She kept saying it was the WTC.  30 seconds later, I saw the WTC and realized they were BOTH hit.  9/11 hit me emotionally more deeply than I thought it would.  Anger, sadness, fear and uncertainty.  The Pearl Harbor of my lifetime.

I was at home cooking breakfast for my son and myself because my SO was a teacher and had to leave for work earlier. She called and said to turn the TV, not a regular morning thing. Took one glance at what was going on. Didn't know if I should let my very young son watch it but thought WTF everybody will be talking about it and he would see it after the fact some place else. Definitely made an impression on him. Not long after we were coming into Denver after camping and it was really smoky from a forest fire. He thought the smoke was from a terrorist attack. Sad!

I was 20 and stationed overseas, it was around the end of my shift and I was logging on to check my email and saw that the first plane had hit. I ran out and grabbed everyone and we watched the second plane hit on the news. The entire dorm had a party that night, it was all alcohol, testosterone, loud music, and aggression, one of the only times I've seen so many people bond over one thing. We were pissed and ready for war.

I was overseas too. We were just hanging around eating breakfast when a close friend from New York called to ask if our tv was on. He said a plane had crashed into the WTC. We turned on the television and were stunned. About six weeks later, we were visited by a heavy equipment operator from ground zero. He described what his life became during the “clean up”. It was a nightmare the way he described it. 16 hr shifts 7 days a week. He was taking the first break he could, we drank all day together. I just listened, he talked it all out. He was as tough as nails but became super emotional. Horrible to see.

I was celebrating my birthday Then the shit hit the fan. My birthday is no longer a happy day....I hate them for that. 

On 9/12/2021 at 10:33 AM, average1 said:

I was home and still in bed.  My wife at the time called and said to turn on the TV that a plane had just hit the WTC.   I turned on the TV and saw the Pentagon being hit.  I let her know it was the Pentagon, not the WTC.  She kept saying it was the WTC.  30 seconds later, I saw the WTC and realized they were BOTH hit.  9/11 hit me emotionally more deeply than I thought it would.  Anger, sadness, fear and uncertainty.  The Pearl Harbor of my lifetime.

I saw the whole thing unfold. and I'm sorry to being a whiteness to this day. 

On 9/16/2021 at 11:10 PM, sparkey600 said:

I was celebrating my birthday Then the shit hit the fan. My birthday is no longer a happy day....I hate them for that. 

That really sucks Sparks!

I think I'm over it, until my birthday rolls around again.

Sucks like you said. Thank you for you're understanding, I appreciate it....I really do!