Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bit Banger

The Electoral College (270 out of 538)

33 posts in this topic

I’d like to congratulate the voters of Colorado on surrendering their vote to the more populated urban areas of the East & West coasts.  Passage of Prop 113 and joining the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is an end run around the Electoral College system defined in the US Constitution.  The Electoral College was put in place to protect smaller states from the tyranny of the majority in these urban areas.  The NPVIC is so much easier than that pesky Constitutional amendment process. 😡

9 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

I’d like to congratulate the voters of Colorado on surrendering their vote to the more populated urban areas of the East & West coasts.  Passage of Prop 113 and joining the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is an end run around the Electoral College system defined in the US Constitution.  The Electoral College was put in place to protect smaller states from the tyranny of the majority in these urban areas.  The NPVIC is so much easier than that pesky Constitutional amendment process. 😡

With this vote, we might as well cancel all voting in Colorado as we no longer have a say so in elections.  The major population centers around the country (LA, Chicago, New York, Texas, etc.) will determine who wins an election.

I could so easily go on a rant this morning after last nights rioting around the country.

10 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Stunning displays of selflessness all over. Vote to raise taxes, give more power to the State, demonstrate to give up rights and effectively disinfranchise oneself as a Colorado voter. Brilliant. 

Edited by Happymon

1 hour ago, ilovewomen said:

With this vote, we might as well cancel all voting in Colorado as we no longer have a say so in elections.  The major population centers around the country (LA, Chicago, New York, Texas, etc.) will determine who wins an election.

I could so easily go on a rant this morning after last nights rioting around the country.

Right? It’s astounding and sad how many, and really that any polling location was targeted. Like that’s a direct assault on the fundamentals of this country. 

Regarding my earlier post about Prop 113 & NPVIC: I do realize that how electoral college delegates are selected is a States’ Rights issue.  We also have the right to climb over the fence and leap off a cliff into a crowd shouting “Jump!”  Doesn’t mean we should.  As for circumventing the amendment process, only 12 states (25%) are needed for NPVIC to nullify the Electoral College, not the 75% required to amend our Condtitution.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the interstate compact carries little legal weight. Changing the constitutionally dictated presidential election process will still require a constitutional amendment - not an easy task......

So does everyone actually think that each voter in California and New York voted for the same presidential candidate? Do you think everyone on Colorado voted exactly the same? No, they didn't. There were 11,904,863 votes cast for Biden and Trump in California, 3,991,068 of which don't count due to the electoral college system of winner take all in each state. in New York, 55.7% of the votes decided how 100% of the electoral votes will be for that state. In Wisconsin 49.6% of the vote decided how those electoral votes will go. People look at a Presidential election map with each state colored blue or red and think hey, these small areas controlled the whole thing. With the electoral college a few states DO, with a popular vote system then they don't.  Try taking a look at a nation House election map https://www.yahoo.com/elections/house Now some of those blue states look mostly red.

Maybe I’m really so simple minded, this makes zero sense to me.  I need to do some research to understand this. 

Being simple minded..... I’d like to see each individual vote accounted for as a vote. It will come out how it is supposed to based on the population and number of voters per state. Why do we need this electoral college number shit??? Why muddy the waters???? Half the population now resides in Colorado... JK.... it’s changed though😐

3 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

Maybe I’m really so simple minded, this makes zero sense to me.  I need to do some research to understand this. 

Being simple minded..... I’d like to see each individual vote accounted for as a vote. It will come out how it is supposed to based on the population and number of voters per state. Why do we need this electoral college number shit??? Why muddy the waters???? Half the population now resides in Colorado... JK.... it’s changed though😐

Because it’s in the constitution! What don’t you understand? It’s the constitution so it’s infallible and sound except the intentional vagueness that was done to allow for interpretation and rethinking! (Please note I said that with full sarcasm.) :)

If I had to guess I’d almost wager they never imagine literal millions of votes being cast aside. At some point the electoral college made sense but it’s antiquated and could stand to be revisited. 

Edited by JoDoe27

Look at CO as a microcosm of the US.  Most of rural CO is solid red, being dictated to by the blue corridor of the Front Range.  It used to be that CO was more balanced, but the influx of folks, many from CA, has changed that.  We have the same issue with folks from the coasts, where people are stacked on top of each other, specifying solutions which make no sense when your nearest neighbor is up to a mile away.

I for one, am down for it and am pleased to formally announce my candidacy for POTUS in 2024. My fellow Americans, my platform is a simple one. Due to the well documented problems of urban areas and the unfairness that occurs in them, I promise these solutions. Free health care, free college education to established state residents, and 0% income tax! These will apply to all citizens of NJ, NY,  Florida, Michigan, Illinois, Texas, California,  NC, PA, GA, and Ohio. Unlike other duplicitous candidates, I shall explain the funding. Taxes and use of resources from all other states will be tripled to solve these problems as we ....all AMERICANS, pull together for the good of the majority as a whole.Thank you for your support!

18 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Regarding my earlier post about Prop 113 & NPVIC: I do realize that how electoral college delegates are selected is a States’ Rights issue. ...  As for circumventing the amendment process, only 12 states (25%) are needed for NPVIC to nullify the Electoral College, not the 75% required to amend our Condtitution.

14 hours ago, sb1212 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the interstate compact carries little legal weight. Changing the constitutionally dictated presidential election process will still require a constitutional amendment - not an easy task......

Prop 113 has the same legal strength as any other Colorado statute , including that passed by the state legislature which it replaces.  It specifies that the CO will join the NPVIC, which requires our EC delegates to vote according to the national popular vote. (I may be slightly off in my text here; I don’t have my ‘blue book’ handy.) The NPVIC only goes into effect when sufficient states to control an EC majority (270 votes) have joined. Currently the NPVIC has 196 votes on board, with another 60 pending legislation. 
I called this an ‘end run’ around the Constitution. Constitutionally each state controls how their EC delegates vote (a states’ rights issue), but this Compact will take control once activated casting those votes according to the national popular vote.  A short list of 12 states (which includes TX & FL, neither of which are considering NPVIC) could activate the Compact, circumventing the EC process without a Constitutional amendment.

Edited by Bit Banger

14 hours ago, JoDoe27 said:

Because it’s in the constitution! What don’t you understand? It’s the constitution so it’s infallible and sound except the intentional vagueness that was done to allow for interpretation and rethinking! (Please note I said that with full sarcasm.) :)

If I had to guess I’d almost wager they never imagine literal millions of votes being cast aside. At some point the electoral college made sense but it’s antiquated and could stand to be revisited. 

Ohhhhhh I get it now. 🤓🧐 You must be blond too.😂😂😂

15 hours ago, JoDoe27 said:

I’d say that your guess is correct.  Remember that the Constitution was for the United STATES of America (my emphasis).  The state governments (legislatures) were supposed to appoint EC delegates, just as they appointed Senators. You voted for your local & state governments, and for your House Representative (another local position). There was not a national vote.

The Founders feared the mob rule of democracy as much as they feared the tyranny of a monarchy.  Hence their creation of a republic.

The only mistake the founding fathers made was Not electing George Washington.....

from Jun 27, 2018

January 18, 2013 gallup.com/poll/159881/americans-call--end-electoral-college.

More Than Six in 10 Would Abolish Electoral College

Americans are nearly as open to major electoral reform when it comes to doing away with the Electoral College. Sixty-three percent would abolish this unique, but sometimes controversial, mechanism for electing presidents that was devised by the framers of the Constitution. While constitutional and statutory revisions have been made to the Electoral College since the nation's founding, numerous efforts to abolish it over the last 200+ years have met with little success.

u7_tqeslqeufi3pg1duvzw.gif

Bottom Line

Large majorities of Americans are in favor of doing away with the Electoral College. Despite sharp polarization of the parties on many issues in 21st century politics, Republicans and Democrats broadly agree on longstanding election reform proposals.

Well before we throw the baby out with the bath water, think what you are doing. The popular vote can just as much bite you in the ass. At one point in their lives, all dictators were elected at one time, except coups. 

Each state gets a vote for their 2 senators and one for each of the number of representatives they have. DC also gets 3 votes.  270 is the magic number that can beat the other opponent. Now the electors almost  always vote the way the vote went. So the candidate with the most popular vote usually wins. (There have been 5 times this wasn't true). The wrinkle is that they aren't required by law to do so. So if there was a really horrible and corrupt person that won, the electors could cast a vote for the better candidate. A kind of check and balance. Once you remove the Electoral College, you could have a leader of a mob in the oval office. Provided they have enough voters (or can stuff enough ballot boxes). Look at what went on this summer. Would you really want one of those gang leaders as President. We would be no better than Cuba, Venezuela, Somalia, China, etc.

I know it isn't perfect but do you have something else that is better?

On 11/5/2020 at 11:22 PM, Admiral C said:

I for one, am down for it and am pleased to formally announce my candidacy for POTUS in 2024. My fellow Americans, my platform is a simple one. Due to the well documented problems of urban areas and the unfairness that occurs in them, I promise these solutions. Free health care, free college education to established state residents, and 0% income tax! These will apply to all citizens of NJ, NY,  Florida, Michigan, Illinois, Texas, California,  NC, PA, GA, and Ohio. Unlike other duplicitous candidates, I shall explain the funding. Taxes and use of resources from all other states will be tripled to solve these problems as we ....all AMERICANS, pull together for the good of the majority as a whole.Thank you for your support!

Can I help you with your platform? 

I paid through the nose for my daughter's student loans ( parent loans). Yet, those loans were in my name and I took full responsibility and  I don't think Bernie has enough money in his pockets to help me or the new guy...:P Admiral C, your plan sounds vaguely familiar? Oh, and  that new word,  "Progressive"?  Sorry please I hope I am not offending anyone? It's OK if I am losing more friends,  I lost quite a few this year... Yes, I paid 55K on my daughter's student loans and she is working at a liquor store. I give up!!  Let me know if you want my help Admiral?   Mob- Media what''s the difference? 

Edited by Kali Sensual Reiki

On 05/11/2020 at 5:53 AM, Bit Banger said:

Every state is getting bluer and bluer...Electoral College is irrelevant...it'll be a single party system in the next 10 years, called the ACP (American Communist Party)!

• No cars
  • No fossil fuels
  • No meat
  • No gun ownership
  • Eat the rich, I mean tax the rich...not the super rich but just middle class rich
  • Social Media and Internet Censorship
  • Social Credit Score....Low score prevents you from getting a job, getting on a train or plane

Edited by veteranhobbyist

8 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Can I help you with your platform? 

I paid through the nose for my daughter's student loans ( parent loans). Yet, those loans were in my name and I took full responsibility and  I don't think Bernie has enough money in his pockets to help me or the new guy...:P Admiral C, your plan sounds vaguely familiar? Oh, and  that new word,  "Progressive"?  Sorry please I hope I am not offending anyone? It's OK if I am losing more friends,  I lost quite a few this year... Yes, I paid 55K on my daughter's student loans and she is working at a liquor store. I give up!!  Let me know if you want my help Admiral?   Mob- Media what''s the difference? 

I would welcome your help in all areas! However....we will want to move to one of the important states with more voters since Colorado ,with it's measly number of votes, is only good for tax and resource exploitation. Oh....and don't worry. Anyone who stops being your friend over discussion of corrupt American politics knows nothing about the subject and was never a real friend in the first place.

1 hour ago, Admiral C said:

I would welcome your help in all areas! However....we will want to move to one of the important states with more voters since Colorado ,with it's measly number of votes, is only good for tax and resource exploitation. Oh....and don't worry. Anyone who stops being your friend over discussion of corrupt American politics knows nothing about the subject and was never a real friend in the first place.

Very depressing for me. What has become of our state is so wrong. My whole family! And I mean the whole enchilada mom on down are all on the other side of the fence. I don’t understand how people can’t seriously see what is going on?  I just don’t talk openly to too many people because it becomes abusive. Heather MacDonald is my favorite woman. She woke me up. She just makes sense and I encourage other Companions to investigate for themselves if they start to look around and don’t feel comfortable like me. Thank you Admiral.💋💋

9 hours ago, veteranhobbyist said:

Every state is getting bluer and bluer...Electoral College is irrelevant...it'll be a single party system in the next 10 years, called the ACP (American Communist Party)!

• No cars
  • No fossil fuels
  • No meat
  • No gun ownership
  • Eat the rich, I mean tax the rich...not the super rich but just middle class rich
  • Social Credit Score....Low score prevents you from getting a job, getting on a train or plane

No more “Middle Class”! That is what they’re after for sure.  What you say and how you said it is perfect!!   Thank you, veteranhobbyist!  Bill Gates and company won’t be taking a cut I am sure...So many people I know have been hacked on social media because of their personal beliefs and wishing to share. Maybe getting a little vocal? Freedom of speech? Soon that will be gone!  

23 minutes ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

No more “Middle Class”! That is what they’re after for sure.  What you say and how you said it is perfect!!   Thank you, veteranhobbyist!  Bill Gates and company won’t be taking a cut I am sure...So many people I know have been hacked on social media because of their personal beliefs and wishing to share. Maybe getting a little vocal? Freedom of speech? Soon that will be gone!  

Bill Gates and company got a massive tax cut under Trump so if that’s your argument then it’s already failed. 

I hate Trump. I despise everything about him, his supporters snd question how you and some many others overlook so much yet here we are. With that said I always held, and you can find it on TOB if you look hard enough, the notion that I still wanted him to succeed because that means success for the country. If you and anyone else suddebly feels differently about Biden then think about that. 

When I made the original post I was trying to discuss the EC/popular vote issue, with out getting into the rat hole of party politics.  This issue truly swings both ways.  What if CO becomes solid Blue, but the national majority is Red?

Yes, it was a thread drift from the ‘Vote 2020’ thread.  Thank you Mods for you efforts in separating the subject.

9 hours ago, veteranhobbyist said:

• No cars
  • No fossil fuels
  • No meat
  • No gun ownership

It has been a one party system for a very long time. The Wealth party. DEM and GOP are just disguises. The push for Socialism is an old story.....a classic problem solution when resources, ecology and economy become over-stressed by population. When that happens there are always only 3 solutions 1) The Uber wealthy rulers have to share. This is NEVER voluntarily chosen, though sometimes happens via revolutionary actions. 2) Everyone EXCEPT the Uber wealthy must all share equally...some Socialist\Communist type of situation with various labels and slight variations. This is usually chosen as resources decline, and populations increase. 3) Rapid and dramatic population reduction...no comment.  Preventing scenario # 1) is the prime directive of the ruling Wealth party under any guise Red or Blue.  This involves control of the people. Disarming them, control of the media \information, and proper use of propaganda. Elimination of the Electoral College makes control much easier all the way down the line. Of course, most people refuse to believe it and have been conditioned to dismiss such truth as "Conspiracy Theory". Instead, Red and Blue, are taught to believe the false idealism of what America is supposed to be, and just dismiss the endless torrent of evidence of what America REALLY is as BS from the other "bad party".  Thats why so many have been so angry, for so long. The ( false)idealism is always in conflict with the realism. They will be told and sold that getting rid of the EC will help fix that....but, of course, it won't. It WILL very much help Wealth Party control and move us towards Scenario # 2).............As for #3).......mass depopulation....that's always too hard on the land and infrastructure....unless like a cult you can somehow convince  the people to drink or inject the Kool Aid.

RE: #3 <tongue in cheek>

A good pandemic culling the herd might give us some breathing room
😱

PRO: Current System Keeps States in Charge of Our Elections

Reasons to Keep the Electoral College

• The Founding Fathers thought it was the best way to choose the president.
  • The U.S. Constitution should be amended only rarely.
  • It safeguards against uninformed or uneducated voters.
  • It prevents states with larger populations from having undue influence.
  • It forces presidential candidates to campaign in all parts of the country.
  • It lessens the likelihood of calls for recounts or demands for runoff elections.

CON: Winner-Take-All Ignores the Will of Too Many Voters

Reasons to Abolish the Electoral College

• It is no longer relevant.
  • The Constitution has been amended before; it can be done again.
  • It gives too much attention and power to swing states.
  • It allows the presidential election to be decided by a handful of states.
  • It can ignore the will of the people.
  • The candidate who wins the most votes does not necessarily win the election, as happened in 1824, 1876, 1960, 1888, 2000 and 2016.

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

When I made the original post I was trying to discuss the EC/popular vote issue, with out getting into the rat hole of party politics.  This issue truly swings both ways.  What if CO becomes solid Blue, but the national majority is Red?

Yes, it was a thread drift from the ‘Vote 2020’ thread.  Thank you Mods for you efforts in separating the subject.

Sorry this is my fault @Bit Banger

Important to start at the beginning.  The original "constitution" was the Articles of Confederation and was a fairly lose agreement amongst the thirteen original colonies that established common interests, framework for trade and getting along with each other etc.  It established a very weak central government but it very clearly and explicitly acknowledged that the individual colonies - now states - were independent and sovereign entities that retained all power and authority not granted to the very weak central government.  The principle that the states are keepers of all power not specifically granted to the central, federal, government was paramount.  That principle was continued into the Constitution and more clearly formulated and stated in the now totally ignored tenth amendment.

The principle that we are 13 (now 50!!) states and not simply one uniform country guided the establishment of the Congress.  To recognize state sovereignty and rights the Senate was to be composed of two APPOINTED representatives from each state.  Senators were NOT elected but rather were appointed by state legislatures or other process established by the individual states.  On the other hand, the House of Representatives was to be made up of members selected by election - the vote of all eligible citizens - did not include slaves, women, etc.  The number of representatives each state got was directly proportional to the population as established by the census.  (roughly patterned after England's House of Lords and House of Commons)

A later amendment changed how Senators were chosen and changed their selection to election by popular, citizen vote.

The electoral college was adopted for the selection of a president.  It quite clearly mirrored the concept and intent of the establishment of Congress.  Each state would get a number of electors that amounted to the number of their Senators (2 each for all) plus the number of Representatives for the state.  Thus the selection of the President combined the concept of state sovereignty  (two votes for the state) and selection by the people by assigning additional electors based solely on the basis of population.

For all those that claim the people do not get fair proportional representation via electoral college, I say balderdash!!  California has 55 electoral votes (and congressmen!) and Texas 38 (and congressmen) as a result of the huge, relatively speaking, population of each.  Wyoming only gets 3 with 2 of them reflecting the fact that they are still a valid sovereign state with an equal right to any other state for 2 votes.  Contrary to all the had wringing and whining it is a rather ingenious and well thought out system that recognizes both the popular vote AND the right of states.  All who want to eliminate the electoral college - regardless of whether via constitutional amendment or lame several state compact as was foisted upon us - is wanting to CHANGE the very nature of the union from a Constitutional Republic into some form of Democracy.  We are NOT a democracy which would be very cumbersome with a population of 350 million, rather we are a republic that is a union of states where both the individual citizens AND the states have a say in the direction and leadership of the country.  It has worked pretty well for over 200 years.  I see no reason to totally change it just because one party currently believes it would benefit from popular vote only.  Chances are if Texas stays red when it passes California in population the said party will suddenly rue that decision that all of a sudden benefits the other party.

Sorry to bore anyone, but I really wish folks would understand the origin, need and meaning of systems before they lobby loudly to make changes that sound catchy but will carry a slew of unintended consequences.

Now can we get back to the important stuff - how, when, where and with whom to get laid!!!!!!  And maybe we could have another category "Politics and Bullshit" separate for those that like to bicker for the sake of bickering while leaving the rest of the board to the grand purpose of getting laid and other strictly enjoyable pursuits (music, jokes, games, etc.) Or tell everyone to go to twitter to bicker endlessly and pointlessly??

44 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

Important to start at the beginning.  The original "constitution" was the Articles of Confederation and was a fairly lose agreement amongst the thirteen original colonies that established common interests, framework for trade and getting along with each other etc.  It established a very weak central government but it very clearly and explicitly acknowledged that the individual colonies - now states - were independent and sovereign entities that retained all power and authority not granted to the very weak central government.  The principle that the states are keepers of all power not specifically granted to the central, federal, government was paramount.  That principle was continued into the Constitution and more clearly formulated and stated in the now totally ignored tenth amendment.

The principle that we are 13 (now 50!!) states and not simply one uniform country guided the establishment of the Congress.  To recognize state sovereignty and rights the Senate was to be composed of two APPOINTED representatives from each state.  Senators were NOT elected but rather were appointed by state legislatures or other process established by the individual states.  On the other hand, the House of Representatives was to be made up of members selected by election - the vote of all eligible citizens - did not include slaves, women, etc.  The number of representatives each state got was directly proportional to the population as established by the census.  (roughly patterned after England's House of Lords and House of Commons)

A later amendment changed how Senators were chosen and changed their selection to election by popular, citizen vote.

The electoral college was adopted for the selection of a president.  It quite clearly mirrored the concept and intent of the establishment of Congress.  Each state would get a number of electors that amounted to the number of their Senators (2 each for all) plus the number of Representatives for the state.  Thus the selection of the President combined the concept of state sovereignty  (two votes for the state) and selection by the people by assigning additional electors based solely on the basis of population.

For all those that claim the people do not get fair proportional representation via electoral college, I say balderdash!!  California has 55 electoral votes (and congressmen!) and Texas 38 (and congressmen) as a result of the huge, relatively speaking, population of each.  Wyoming only gets 3 with 2 of them reflecting the fact that they are still a valid sovereign state with an equal right to any other state for 2 votes.  Contrary to all the had wringing and whining it is a rather ingenious and well thought out system that recognizes both the popular vote AND the right of states.  All who want to eliminate the electoral college - regardless of whether via constitutional amendment or lame several state compact as was foisted upon us - is wanting to CHANGE the very nature of the union from a Constitutional Republic into some form of Democracy.  We are NOT a democracy which would be very cumbersome with a population of 350 million, rather we are a republic that is a union of states where both the individual citizens AND the states have a say in the direction and leadership of the country.  It has worked pretty well for over 200 years.  I see no reason to totally change it just because one party currently believes it would benefit from popular vote only.  Chances are if Texas stays red when it passes California in population the said party will suddenly rue that decision that all of a sudden benefits the other party.

Sorry to bore anyone, but I really wish folks would understand the origin, need and meaning of systems before they lobby loudly to make changes that sound catchy but will carry a slew of unintended consequences.

Now can we get back to the important stuff - how, when, where and with whom to get laid!!!!!!  And maybe we could have another category "Politics and Bullshit" separate for those that like to bicker for the sake of bickering while leaving the rest of the board to the grand purpose of getting laid and other strictly enjoyable pursuits (music, jokes, games, etc.) Or tell everyone to go to twitter to bicker endlessly and pointlessly??

^^ Well said ^^
Even the part about “Let’s get laid!” 👏

1 hour ago, gr8owl said:

AnD how do you suppose I do this.......