Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The stars are left

How to safely connect

19 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2020 at 11:21 PM, The stars are left said:

Might be worth forgetting about this virus thing going around :0

I have been social distancing since May.  And I only went out once in May to meet someone else that was social distancing.  Perhaps I will  venture out in December for the Holidays ( :

There’s something about being shot at and watching your ‘brothers’ die on the field of battle which gives one a different perspective on life.

I saw several ladies early last summer.  I’m about to make my 8th road trip between CO & TX since June.

We can't live our lives in fear.    As Bit said, "There’s something about being shot at and watching your ‘brothers’ die on the field of battle which gives one a different perspective on life."

We must go on with our lives.

11 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

There’s something about being shot at and watching your ‘brothers’ die on the field of battle which gives one a different perspective on life.

I saw several ladies early last summer.  I’m about to make my 8th road trip between CO & TX since June.

Agree and know what you are talking about. Have fun!

Having a responsibility to my “clients”, job and home life has kept me safe. Since this is my main job, I don’t feel like I have a right to place myself In situations that may cause me to get you sick. Is it boring? Yes  Is it inconvenient ? Yes Will it be forever? No 

I don’t feel like I have a right to be out partying, eating out, being in crowds etc. My crowd is very small. I can nit be blatantly irresponsible. Even then, we never know....To each their own...

18 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

This is what the vast majority of people are missing.  They are completely incapable of understanding someone else's perspective, they are so attached to their own particular view of the world being the only correct one.  

On the one hand you've got so many people that are ... well, terrified.  Honestly, I blame the media and the government for that feeling.  I'm not saying that everyone playing it safe is terrified, it's a spectrum between those that honestly believe if they go out in public they are honestly going to die.  That one teacher who made wills because his children had to go back to school and knew for an absolute fact that him and is wife, people in their early 30s, will get infected and die.

The other direction is those that think everything is fake, this is all about control and all that, and get up in some poor store clerk's face yelling at them.  

The vast majority of course is in between, but still a wide variety of needs, opinions, and personal perspectives.  For many, the risk isn't worth trying to maintain a semblance of normalcy, others the risk is worth it, even mandatory to their well being.  

For me personally:  I look at my own risk profile, and I make my own decision as a free human being. 

One thing I'm not going to do is be an asshole to someone else because of what they believe and choose to do.  Despite that being the national past time anymore.

I know the virus exists. To some it can be devastating.  To about 1% who contract it , the untilmate fate. I follow the mask laws out of respect to others. My job has had me out in all this since day one. Same as a majority of everyone else that has a job that requires your presence. I have shopped in grocery, big box stores and eaten out.  These places are all about as packed as they have always been. Restaurants are the exception. Some tables are gone and bar stools have the cushions removed. I have breathed the same air, handled the same packages and opened the same doors as countless thousands. I have also visited a couple ladies during all this. Just like I have done in the past. I think that the media hyped this up like they do everything else. Just like the weatherman does when a snowstorm or thunderstorm rolls through.  Also I think the election also gave them an incentive to make one side look even worse. Even though there no national laws to enforce. No way to make a vaccine any sooner. No way to have kept it out of this country entirely.  They still seemed to blame it on one person. I will imagine that it will soon disappear from the news one way or another. They will either stop reporting it or will ignore it if their candidate wins.

14 hours ago, FuriousWeasel said:

One thing I'm not going to do is be an asshole to someone else because of what they believe and choose to do.  Despite that being the national past time anymore.

Thank you for saying this.

Far too many people (especially on the internet) think they don't have to show respect, be polite, or make an effort to be part of the social contract. 

It makes me very sad.

On 11/5/2020 at 5:59 PM, Audrey Astor said:

Having a responsibility to my “clients”, job and home life has kept me safe. Since this is my main job, I don’t feel like I have a right to place myself In situations that may cause me to get you sick. Is it boring? Yes  Is it inconvenient ? Yes Will it be forever? No 

I don’t feel like I have a right to be out partying, eating out, being in crowds etc. My crowd is very small. I can nit be blatantly irresponsible. Even then, we never know....To each their own...

Thank you @Audrey Astor and that’s exactly how I feel too! 💋💋

Funny thing is I believe I have rarely gone out much my whole adult life. I live a life of social distance. ☺️ Just try to keep to myself for the most part. Happy others are having fun. While I am happy watching a quite movie or reading at home. 

On 11/5/2020 at 3:38 PM, ilovewomen said:

We can't live our lives in fear.    As Bit said, "There’s something about being shot at and watching your ‘brothers’ die on the field of battle which gives one a different perspective on life."

We must go on with our lives.

With respect to covid, I am guessing that most people's decisions are not based on terror or fear.  If they're like me, they do  a risk assessment  and  a cost / benefit analysis for any given activity.

I have been foregoing  entertainment activities with people, but I have not foregone contact with people. For example, I have made an annual trip to the Doctor and I have had workmen doing necessary maintenance in my house.   I have decided to forego my dental checkup since that's probably a higher risk environment and I take good care of my teeth at home.

I am like Kali and am somewhat of a natural homebody.  That's probably why living this way has not been a problem for me so far.   At some point,  I may think differently and be more social.  The thought has crossed my mind.

Your emotions create your own reality.  Living in fear is never a good idea!   It is very easy to manifest a negative outcome.  Positive energy, I believe can cure anything.  Our body is an amazing machine, capable of doing things we still are not aware of.

On 11/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, Elle Blake said:

Your emotions create your own reality.  Living in fear is never a good idea!   It is very easy to manifest a negative outcome.  Positive energy, I believe can cure anything.  Our body is an amazing machine, capable of doing things we still are not aware of.

Living recklessly is never a good idea. Ignoring science is perilous. Ask Steve Jobs.

On 11/16/2020 at 6:05 PM, oldguy47 said:

Living recklessly is never a good idea. Ignoring science is perilous. Ask Steve Jobs.

So the alternative to not living in fear is to live recklessly? Ignoring 3000 years of eastern medicine is a great idea?  Just ask Patrick Swayzee

6 hours ago, Happymon said:

So the alternative to not living in fear is to live recklessly? Ignoring 3000 years of eastern medicine is a great idea?  Just ask Patrick Swayzee

Swazye was diagnosed with Stage4 pancreatic cancer. Average patient with such a diagnosis will live for about a year. 5 year survival rate is 1%. Try whatever you like and it sounds like he tried a combination of western and eastern treatments.  Jobs, from what we know, was diagnosed with a different type of pancreatic cancer - one that is treatable with surgery and chemo. He rejected surgery for many months, trying alternatives. Given that he opted for surgery later it seems that he had a change of heart. We'll never know what would have happened had he chosen surgery earlier.  Eastern and western treatments are NOT mutually exclusive.

I would characterize Jobs as living without fear. And in his case I would say recklessly. The outcome may have been the same but he punted on the option for a cure initially. His market window perhaps closed needlessly.

Difference between this and COVID? Jobs only risked himself. People who choose to "not live in fear" and go about their lives as if COVID isn't real or worrisome risk everyone around them, and everyone around them, and so on. We're approaching 250K deaths in the U.S. No amount of positive energy will cure it. If you don't have a healthy fear of COVID we're all in trouble.

1 hour ago, oldguy47 said:

People who choose to "not live in fear" and go about their lives as if COVID isn't real or worrisome risk everyone around them, and everyone around them, and so on. We're approaching 250K deaths in the U.S. No amount of positive energy will cure it. If you don't have a healthy fear of COVID we're all in trouble.

This bears repeating. ^^^^^^

We all know older people, and people with health conditions, that we might put at risk. I think we need to keep them in mind when we interact in the world.

1 hour ago, pfunk said:

This bears repeating. ^^^^^^

We all know older people, and people with health conditions, that we might put at risk. I think we need to keep them in mind when we interact in the world.

It's not just old people and people with medical conditions that can take a  hit. There are also news reports of  young athletes and middle aged athletes  with no known health conditions dealing with serious covid cases.  A couple of examples are below.  While these cases are probably rare, they do happen. 

https://www.cbs46.com/news/covid-19-leaves-its-mark-on-georgia-high-school-athlete/article_d9c26e7a-27bb-11eb-8de8-676ab693b4c3.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/sports/coronavirus-survivors-athletes.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/young-athletes-are-developing-myocarditis-after-covid-now-scientists-are-exploring-a-link/ar-BB18GCVI

https://www.registerguard.com/story/news/2020/09/06/college-track-runner-fighting-long-term-effects-covid-19/5710365002/