NoReligionToo

Should I build my garage haunted house?

14 posts in this topic

What's your opinion on a garage haunted house this Halloween considering Covid?

In my old neighborhood, for ten years, I had a popular attraction for kids as well as adults. I took a few days vacation to build it each year prior to the 31st. A two car garage transformed into a maze of creatures, sights and sound. There was even a facade in place of the traditional garage door with separate in-door and out-door to guide foot traffic one direction. That was my combination art project, fun, daily-grind-get-away and entertainment for the neighbors. Even people from across town came over to enjoy.

I'm in a new neighborhood now. First halloween here. Lots of families. Last winter, two households next me talked of loving Halloween and doing yard/garage transformations. It was a spectacular plan and I have a bigger garage to boot.

But safety from Covid is a concern. I've thought about regulating the amount of people inside at one time and requiring masks. But weighing the effort, return on investment (fun) and risk are placing me in doubt. It sucks I'm having hesitation this close to the day. I haven't brought it up to the neighbors yet. I don't know whether to move forward or give up the plan and simplify with outdoor decorations. Maybe the project is more about me and I need to let go. So much worse going on in people's lives than worrying about Halloween fun. But I've been cooped up giving so much of myself to the corporate world. Was looking forward to this outlet.

Even if the project is "All about you" that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.  Honestly, in any other year, you should be proud of what you do for everyone, I think that's just so cool.  So get that thought right out of your head.  This year especially people need all the good things they can possibly get.

In this year, I wonder if you can still do it if you do it right.  If it's a no-touch scenario, with masks required to enter, I would consider going ahead with it.  Possibly make it a bit more of an "open" design, with better air flow kind of deal.  Every 10 min or so go through the place with a can of lysol?  Have a sign for parents to say its at their own risk if kids enter, etc.  But make it so the kids still win if they can't go in and get something anyway.

2 hours ago, NoReligionToo said:

In my old neighborhood, for ten years, I had a popular attraction for kids as well as adults. I took a few days vacation to build it each year prior to the 31st. A two car garage transformed into a maze of creatures, sights and sound. There was even a facade in place of the traditional garage door with separate in-door and out-door to guide foot traffic one direction. That was my combination art project, fun, daily-grind-get-away and entertainment for the neighbors. Even people from across town came over to enjoy.

I'm in a new neighborhood now. First halloween here. Lots of families. Last winter, two households next me talked of loving Halloween and doing yard/garage transformations. It was a spectacular plan and I have a bigger garage to boot.

But safety from Covid is a concern. I've thought about regulating the amount of people inside at one time and requiring masks. But weighing the effort, return on investment (fun) and risk are placing me in doubt. It sucks I'm having hesitation this close to the day. I haven't brought it up to the neighbors yet. I don't know whether to move forward or give up the plan and simplify with outdoor decorations. Maybe the project is more about me and I need to let go. So much worse going on in people's lives than worrying about Halloween fun. But I've been cooped up giving so much of myself to the corporate world. Was looking forward to this outlet.

I like your Idea on garage hunted house. :D

If you want to have someone stationed at the entrance, so only one person can go through at a time, I'd say go ahead. Outside, everybody separated by more than 6 feet.

Otherwise, there is the possibility, someone may claim their child contracted C-19 from another person in the maze. You could lose everything (house, savings, etc) in a lawsuit.

In 1960, this wouldn't be a worry.  Today, I think it's far too risky.

Lastly, I suspect there will be far fewer trick-or-treaters his year (just my guess).

Sorry to be a negative nelly!

Can I come trick or treat? 🎃 👻 

Maybe a walk through with facial covering and shooting candy down a tube?  

My hero❤️

Edited by Laci French

7 hours ago, NoReligionToo said:

I've thought about regulating the amount of people inside at one time and requiring masks.

And therein lies the rub these days.  If you try to enforce masks you may have someone go off on you, some are passionate beyond reason over it.    So in today's atmosphere I would limit to friends and family and specifically the ones that will happily comply.  Go for it and enjoy.  But not come one come all this year.  Just my opinion.

3 hours ago, Laci French said:

7c7b8f0660235fef55e69e636e776726.jpg

I went to a haunted house this year like i do every year. It wasn’t much different they just had our group wait a little longer after the group in front of us to go to maintain social distancing.

Our world/lives has changed so much. For kids especially I think it’s important to try to keep normal just take extra precautions to keep people safe. Bottom line do it!  🙃

Well I know it is a new neighborhood. So if you have it,  will the new neighbors like it? I would maybe inquire around with the neighbors to see if they wouldn't mind having their kids visit it. If they don't object, then go for it. Inform the old neighbors you are up and running,  if they would like to visit.

2 hours ago, KashaeMonae said:

I went to a haunted house this year like i do every year. It wasn’t much different they just had our group wait a little longer after the group in front of us to go to maintain social distancing.

Our world/lives has changed so much. For kids especially I think it’s important to try to keep normal just take extra precautions to keep people safe. Bottom line do it!  🙃

This is how it should ALWAYS be in the first place.... I got tired of haunted houses do to the reason it is all about the money and just pushing as much people through as possible. It makes the whole experience crap because they push too many people too close together

21 hours ago, Laci French said:

My hero❤️

Laci, you put the "treat" in "trick or treat". I like your idea, but some of the neighborhood mommies might object to you showing up in only a mask....

1 hour ago, sb1212 said:

Laci, you put the "treat" in "trick or treat". I like your idea, but some of the neighborhood mommies might object to you showing up in only a mask....

The neighborhood mommies would be upset because they would be jealous they can’t make a mask look that good

I`d say go for it. But you really should contact your insurance agent and get a rider on your homeowners insurance. If somebody should somehow get hurt, they could sue the bejesus out of you. 

On 10/9/2020 at 11:45 AM, NoReligionToo said:

If you love doing it and enjoy it then why not, ALL kids that go out should be wearing a mask this year, many will be wearing a mask over a mask.  If we're all wearing masks we're all safe right?