whosyourdaty

Get Up and Dance!

95 posts in this topic

We all know the power that music possesses. The power to make us cry, or to lift our mood when were down. Music can even have the power of healing - as a form of therapy. Like Foghat said ... When I was Stone Blue, Rock & Roll sure helped me through. I love the quote by Bob Marley ... “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”  and I totally agree with that.

Everybody has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to music styles or genre's - the "Moves your Soul" thread on these forums is certainly a testament to that - but some music just "hits you", ya know? and you can't help but turn it up ... LOUD ... and bounce around to the beat. Not even necessarily 'dancing' per se, but just feeling it. Maybe that's playing your best Air-instrument, or head-banging, jumping up and down, or breaking out your best moves ... for a white guy (speaking for myself). But whatever it is, you can't help yourself - you gotta let it out. Celebrate that crazy, wonderful feeling you get when something like that "just hits you". And when the song's over, you have a big stupid grin on your face :D.

The vast majority of these tracks are simple little songs, made to be enjoyed for what they are - just a fun tune that doesn't require the listener to try to glean any sort of profound message from its lyric. It can be country, or rock or blues. Sometimes it's top 40 pop song, or a golden oldie, and sometimes it's one of those awesome 80's metal hair band screamers.

But you know what's even more special than that feeling of listening to one of those songs you love so much? Hearing one of those songs for the very first time! Oh MAN! After it's over you have GOT to hear it again ... right NOW! So you listen to it three, four times in a row and then at least once every day for a week. The first few times you aren't even listening to the lyrics really, maybe just the chorus, the music is just so FUN! But then you make it a point to learn the words so you can sing along now and, and .... Or maybe that's just me.

Well I've been thinking about this more and more lately, as I am stuck at home with extra time to blast some of my old favorites into my already damaged eardrums, and I thought, how cool would it be to turn, even one other person, onto some of those bounce inducing ditties. Of course, to each his (or her) own, as they say, but to hell with it. I'm going to post these - one at a time - for me. And if someone wants to take the time to give any of them more than a cursory listen, and actually hears something for the first time that "hits them"? Fuckin-A!

So this first one was kind of a no-brainer for a couple of reasons. First, of course, it's got that ear worm quality - or it wouldn't fit into this post - and second, even though its 10 years old, it is incredibly relevant right now as I'm sure all would agree when they hear the opening verse. In addition, the video itself is very cute and FUN!

Well if you've spent the time to actually read this entire post, congratulations on your exceptional attention span and, without further ado ... LET'S DANCE!

I haven't heard anything out of Josh Turner since he first came on the charts.  Has he done anything recently?

Lat September the bus carrying crew members for his tour went off an embankment after leaving a show in Paso Robles, California, killing his  sound engineer and leaving seven others hospitalized

1 hour ago, whosyourdaty said:

.. LET'S DANCE!

This is one of the things we lost here at the ranch - dances & dance classes.

We had bands in every 3-4 weeks, and classes every week.  With just a little work you could find a public dance someplace in The Valley most nights.  You should see my Two Step & Elvira 😀

I saw Josh at Hudson Gardens last summer.  He has a number of hits. Show was good, but short - less than an hour.

That's a keen idea!  Hey kids, ya wanna' dance?  Let's put on a show!

12 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

You should see my Two Step & Elvira 😀

Miss doing the Waltz,Tango, Jitterbug and yes,the Two Step.  Guess the only dances left to do during this Caronavirus is the Twist,The Swim ,The Watusi and The Frug.

Bit mentioning Elvira made me think of this one - for whatever reason. Maybe because of the awesome harmonies. Either way it's another one that makes me crank up the volume and dance around  ... doing the finger snapping and playing the air bass.

21 minutes ago, SixtiesDude said:

Did someone mention Elvira??

Elvira.JPG

Ah, Cassandra 😜

You're never too old to dance

The pioneering Mr. Haley and his Comets were/are underappreciated for their contributions to Rock & Roll.

Gina, if you were to dance topless ... people would get hurt :P

This is such a great version of a classic Beatles tune.

Turn it LOUD and appreciate it ... especially the sax and piano solos ...

On 5/15/2020 at 2:40 PM, SixtiesDude said:

Gina, if you were to dance topless ... people would get hurt :P

I can hold my own lol:lol:

4 hours ago, lustybustygina said:

I can hold my own lol:lol:

I'd be happy to hold them for you....

Woke up singing this one for some reason. Always makes me smile ... and groove along.

And the Monday afternoon entry ... I'm sure everyone remembers this song and the high dive scene in Caddyshack.

Classic movie and a rocking fun tune. As with all suggestions here, the louder the better ...

Driving back home to Detroit from a concert in Cleveland in  in 1987 with four other guys who were all passed out in the back of the van and about 3:00 in the morning this song came on and I cranked it up and no one woke up. Never heard it before and couldn't wait to get home so I could get a recording of it and listen to it five times in a row. Very simple, fun song ...

Love this thread. Music feeds the soul.

1 hour ago, whosyourdaty said:

Driving back home to Detroit from a concert in Cleveland in  in 1987 with four other guys who were all passed out in the back of the van and about 3:00 in the morning this song came on and I cranked it up and no one woke up. Never heard it before and couldn't wait to get home so I could get a recording of it and listen to it five times in a row. Very simple, fun song ...

I've never heard of John Eddie but this song has a good beat and I like it.

33 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

I've never heard of John Eddie but this song has a good beat and I like it.

No more American Bandstand for you.

41 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

No more American Bandstand for you.

He was on American Bandstand?