Laci French

If the decision was yours...

If the decision was yours...   114 members have voted

1. 1. When should stay at home order ease?

• May
    • June
    • August
  2. 2. Are you

• Employed
    • Unemployed
    • Retired

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

124 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

A friend forwarded me this different perspective on the situation:

"I was reading some posts for and against reopening the country. One was talking about being selfish and it got me to thinking.

There are those wanting to reopen yet they’re being classified as selfish. There are those that rely on all kinds of people to supply them while they cower in fear at home. Isn’t that being selfish too?

You expect your garbage to be picked up, you expect the grocery store to be open so you can get milk, you expect truck drivers to supply the stores, you expect farmers, meatpackers, fruit and vegetable pickers all to keep food in that grocery store.

You expect Amazon to still ship all the things you’re ordering while you sit at home shopping. You expect the delivery driver to leave it on your doorstep. You expect your phone to work, your power to stay on, and your mail to show up rain, sleet, or shine. And most important, you expect the doctors and nurses to be there if you need them although many of them across the country have been furloughed because their units and services have been shut down while the entire system focuses only on COVID19.

The whole premise of shelter in place is based on the arrogant idea that others must risk their health so you can protect yours. There is nothing virtuous about ignoring the largely invisible army required to allow people to shelter in place.

I know there are some of you that are screaming mad about what I just said but stop and really think about what is allowing you to stay safe in your home.

I truly believe that with some common sense on my part, I could easily go back to life as it was. I want to go to restaurants, I want to shop at the little store just up the road.

And yes, I could catch COVID-19. I could also catch the flu or a cold. I could get run over by a bus. I could get struck by lightning. We take risks everyday. 

If you choose to stay home, that is absolutely your choice. And please don’t start screaming at me about how I’ll just spread it. Why are you worried? You won’t get it because you’re staying in your home. Are you going to shelter in place every time a new strand of the flu happens?

Our economy can’t withstand much more of this. If our economy collapses, so will the rest of the world’s. If that happens, you will see the rise of tyrants.
I absolutely don’t want people to die...from COVID or anything else. I want people to live.

But sheltering in place is not living."

I totally agree with the last two sentences.

AMEN!

And well said!

1 hour ago, johnnybgood said:

AMEN!

And well said!

AMEN!  VERY WELL SAID.

Actually the ones at risk are the ones ignoring this virus. Spotted several walking around with out wearing a mask today.  An ounce of prevention goes a long way. The pressure to reopen comes from those that lived paycheck to paycheck and no longer have one.

I fully expect the death rate to soar if we reopen before there is a vaccine.

Serious question for the people who think we have to save the economy and "live our lives" and just take our chances: Estimates of the mortality rate of COVID-19 are still all over the map, everywhere from 0.5% to 4%.

Let's assume the best case: 0.5%. With 330m people in the US, that's 1,650,000 people. This assumes that everyone gets it eventually.

Let's assume that not everyone gets it, so maybe "only" a million die. 

My serious question: Are we OK with a million dead?

24 minutes ago, fork said:

Serious question for the people who think we have to save the economy and "live our lives" and just take our chances: Estimates of the mortality rate of COVID-19 are still all over the map, everywhere from 0.5% to 4%.

Let's assume the best case: 0.5%. With 330m people in the US, that's 1,650,000 people. This assumes that everyone gets it eventually.

Right now, out of a population of 350,000,000, there have been roughly 60,000 deaths.

That is .00017% of the population of the U.S.

One death is too many.  But death does happen, no matter how hard we try to stop it.

32 minutes ago, fork said:

OK, I’ll play.

In 6 months, how many of the unemployed will be homeless. Currently there are about 48 million unemployed.  
Print money to pay their rent?  Sure, watch the jug of milk or loaf of bread start costing $10 as inflation runs rampant.  
Just think of the idle time all those people will have.  Will there be riots in the streets?

There are cascading effects of the lockdown which are far grimmer for our society than a million deaths.  Go back to the “being alive” vs. “living”; millions of lives will be destroyed.  We as a society have had it too easy; every death is senseless.  But that’s not reality!  Death is a part of life.

2 hours ago, JRWolfe said:

Actually the ones at risk are the ones ignoring this virus. Spotted several walking around with out wearing a mask today.  An ounce of prevention goes a long way. The pressure to reopen comes from those that lived paycheck to paycheck and no longer have one.

I fully expect the death rate to soar if we reopen before there is a vaccine.

If we wait for a vaccine before we reopen, that could take up to 2 years from estimates by the experts.

If we stay closed 6 months, we could see an unemployment rate that is double of the unemployment rate during the depression. That estimate comes from expert economists. Essentially when we hit that, there will no longer be an economy to restart.

BTW, I am one of the lucky ones who still receives a paycheck. I am designated essential and still work. I practice distancing, I wear a mask and gloves when I am out in the public for any reason, I stay at home as much as possible. I’m fact my wife and I haven’t even kissed on the lips in 6 weeks.

Edited by ilovewomen

58 minutes ago, fork said:

In case it wasn’t clear, yes. Yes they are. 

15 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

AMEN!  VERY WELL SAID.

But still incredibly stupid and without merit. 

If it were up to me, I would impose a hard lockdown at least until the end of August. Shelter in place, only go outside for absolutely essential errands. 

This would bring the virus's R/factor down to about 0,2 or 0,3. Boom, bye bye virus. 

Anything else is playing with fire and risking exponential growth, with predictable consequences for icus.

For all the stupid people in this thread who seem to have slept through their statistics and science classes and who say: well, if you want to stay safe, just you shelter at home, then. The point of a quarantine is not that the people in quarantine are safe, rather, it's that the people outside are safe from those quarantined. Do you imbeciles not get this? If everyone stays home, nobody can infect anyone, and Covid-19 is gone in no time.

IOW: Me staying home makes the world safer FROM me and safer for YOU.

Edited by 2Big

10 hours ago, fork said:

Short answer: Yes, because I believe the alternative (economic collapse) is worse.

7 hours ago, 2Big said:

But still incredibly stupid and without merit. 

If it were up to me, I would impose a hard lockdown at least until the end of August. Shelter in place, only go outside for absolutely essential errands. 

This would bring the virus's R/factor down to about 0,2 or 0,3. Boom, bye bye virus. 

Anything else is playing with fire and risking exponential growth, with predictable consequences for icus.

For all the stupid people in this thread who seem to have slept through their statistics and science classes and who say: well, if you want to stay safe, just you shelter at home, then. The point of a quarantine is not that the people in quarantine are safe, rather, it's that the people outside are safe from those quarantined. Do you imbeciles not get this? If everyone stays home, nobody can infect anyone, and Covid-19 is gone in no time.

IOW: Me staying home makes the world safer FROM me and safer for YOU.

Well 2big,

I'll give you some info,   I am a essential worker "I HAVE TO GO OUT EVERYDAY" and I have been for every freaking day since this started!  To say if I go out I'm gonna catch it is irresponsible, this IS NOT the plague just floating around in the air waiting for you to breath it in.

This is a bug not much unlike the flu, which I have also not had in over 10yrs!  I have been in contact with people whom have become sick and guess what?  I still am not sick and yes I have been tested...3 times in fact.  Practice safe protocols and you can go into a ward of infected people and NOT catch it!

Why we are having this OVERHYPE I'm not sure, political/financial or just trying to make a bigger Govt to control us more are all tops on my list!  But scaring people has become the #1 game in town and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon!  I have 2 family members who are in the medical field and guess what.... they've have been laid off!!  

How can we be laying people off who are suppose to be there keeping us healthy?  Think about that!!  21 Kaiser offices closed in Colorado along with another 1/3 of non-essential clinics.... You can do as you like but I'm going to continue to go out everyday to work and jog when I have the energy, walk my dog and continue to practice safe hygiene and I'll still be healthy in 1 week, 1 month from now while the rest of you will be sitting at home waiting for the govt to send you your next check!

No thanks, but you keep drinking the coolaid cause I guess it's free!

23 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

"I was reading some posts for and against reopening the country. One was talking about being selfish and it got me to thinking.

There are those wanting to reopen yet they’re being classified as selfish. There are those that rely on all kinds of people to supply them while they cower in fear at home. Isn’t that being selfish too?

You expect your garbage to be picked up, you expect the grocery store to be open so you can get milk, you expect truck drivers to supply the stores, you expect farmers, meatpackers, fruit and vegetable pickers all to keep food in that grocery store.

You expect Amazon to still ship all the things you’re ordering while you sit at home shopping. You expect the delivery driver to leave it on your doorstep. You expect your phone to work, your power to stay on, and your mail to show up rain, sleet, or shine. And most important, you expect the doctors and nurses to be there if you need them although many of them across the country have been furloughed because their units and services have been shut down while the entire system focuses only on COVID19.

The whole premise of shelter in place is based on the arrogant idea that others must risk their health so you can protect yours. There is nothing virtuous about ignoring the largely invisible army required to allow people to shelter in place.

I know there are some of you that are screaming mad about what I just said but stop and really think about what is allowing you to stay safe in your home.

I truly believe that with some common sense on my part, I could easily go back to life as it was. I want to go to restaurants, I want to shop at the little store just up the road.

And yes, I could catch COVID-19. I could also catch the flu or a cold. I could get run over by a bus. I could get struck by lightning. We take risks everyday. 

If you choose to stay home, that is absolutely your choice. And please don’t start screaming at me about how I’ll just spread it. Why are you worried? You won’t get it because you’re staying in your home. Are you going to shelter in place every time a new strand of the flu happens?

Our economy can’t withstand much more of this. If our economy collapses, so will the rest of the world’s. If that happens, you will see the rise of tyrants.
I absolutely don’t want people to die...from COVID or anything else. I want people to live.

AMEN!

And well said!

On 4/22/2020 at 5:35 PM, Bit Banger said:

Yes, protect those most at risk while letting others go on about their business. Some will get sick; some will die.  We can’t save everyone!  The current lockdown has allowed resources to be gathered for dealing with these issues.

Not this country (or any other) can stand to be shut down for 6-18 months.  And the world cannot stand for the US to be shut down that long either.  Even this 6-8 week interruption is going to have repercussions for years to come.

Are you in the category of those most at risk that will be protected? I know I'm not.

I have 3 jobs and all of them it's impossible to practice social distancing, but 2 of them I can wear a mask and gloves. I'm still struggling with what to do, and when to put an ad up again. I don't think it will be until after the reopening, and we can see if there is a second wave and how bad it is. 

Edited by Hunter VanDyke

15 minutes ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Are you in the category of those most at risk that will be protected? I know I'm not.

Yes, I am.  I’m also fortunate to have sufficient financial resources that I don’t have to work.  Let someone else have that job.

Should I be on the ‘front line’?  Been there, done that, one of the reasons I’m at risk.

One of the other reasons I should avoid infection is so I don’t consume resources someone else might need.  That’s also why I’m using the truck more than the bike, less chance of an accident & consuming those same resources.

Another way that I try to help is shop local/mom&pop if the option is available.

Social distancing SUCKS!!!  I have a friend who lost both her husband and her dog w/in weeks of each other. Not being able to comfort her, let her cry on my shoulder is 🤯.  Not being able to sit on the couch & snuggle with a friend on movie night is 🥴. Staying inside the compound, dances cancelled, avoiding the beach, no long rides, no cigar lounge camaraderie on weekends. 🤬

Yeah, I know - big sacrifices (/sarcasm)

We each have a part to do in keeping our society together.

39 minutes ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

.... I'm still struggling on what to do, and when to put an ad up again. I don't think it will be until after the reopening, and we can see if there is a second wave and how bad it is. 

That’s a decision you’ll have to make. Your risks, not mine.  But I do think you’re “wait & see” attitude is appropriate. 

Someone said a few weeks ago, “Pump the brakes.”  Whenever we try to restart our economy, it will have to be gradual.  It’s not binary like a switch, more like a rheostat.

Edited by Bit Banger

4 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Yes, I am.  I’m also fortunate to have sufficient financial resources that I don’t have to work.  Let someone else have that job.

Should I be on the ‘front line’?  Been there, done that, one of the reasons I’m at risk.

One of the other reasons I should avoid infection is so I don’t consume resources someone else might need.  That’s also why I’m using the truck more than the bike, less chance of an accident & consuming those same resources.

Another way that I try to help is shop local/mom&pop if the option is available.

Social distancing SUCKS!!!  I have a friend who lost both her husband and her dog w/in weeks of each other. Not being able to comfort her, let her cry on my shoulder is 🤯.  Not being able to sit on the couch & snuggle with a friend on movie night is 🥴. Staying inside the compound, dances cancelled, avoiding the beach, no long rides, no cigar lounge camaraderie on weekends. 🤬

Yeah, I know - big sacrifices (/sarcasm)

We each have a part to do in keeping our society together.

I would never want anything to happen to you or anybody that's at risk.  I highlighted your quote to put emphasis on when you say we can't save everyone with an exclamation point! Fortunately for you, you won't be at risk of being one of the everyone's! You will be protected. 

31 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

That’s a decision you’ll have to make. Your risks, not mine.  But I do think you’re “wait & see” attitude is appropriate. 

Someone said a few weeks ago, “Pump the brakes.”  Whenever we try to restart our economy, it will have to be gradual.  It’s not binary like a switch, more like a rheostat.

Exactly. It's easy for you to type out your responses so emphatically, because you are elderly, retired and protected during the pandemic, so you don't have to make the tough decisions, and take the risks that many of us and our families do. 

You have the luxury of saying... we can't save everyone! And that's a decision you'll have to make. Your risks, not mine. 

I will say this, I am glad people like you are protected, and I'd much rather take the risks instead of you, and my mom and aunts and uncles and my elderly and compromised friends. I would rather take the risks for all of my adult children and many other close family and friends who aren't protected, but we will repoen soon, and they will have to go back like everyone else, and be included in the case numbers. Hopefully not death numbers. 🙏🙏🙏

I will also say this, if I lose one of my children, I won't give af about the economy. I'll lose my shit. I'm not as strong as some of you. I'll have fucking breakdown. 

6 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Short answer: Yes, because I believe the alternative (economic collapse) is worse.

Considering that the majority of TOB peeps are feeble geriatrics, I expect a few moderator slots to become available soon.

I'll be polishing off my résumé.;)

Edited by 2Big

22 minutes ago, 2Big said:

Considering that the majority of TOB peeps are feeble geriatrics, I expect a few moderator slots to become available soon.

I'll be polishing off my résumé.;)

Lol. Again stereotypes and assumptions. I would love to see your statistics since we know you like statistics. How many TOB peeps are feeble? How many are geriatrics? 

1 hour ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Exactly. It's easy for you to type out your responses so emphatically, because you are elderly, retired and protected during the pandemic, so you don't have to make the tough decisions, and take the risks that many of us and our families do. ... 

Yes, I will be protected - because I will protect myself.  As the economy & society opens, I will continue to be cautious, to follow social distancing guidelines for most interactions.  Yes, I have the luxury of doing this due to years of hard work.  My ‘job’ these days is to spend what I’ve accumulated over those years - to purchase goods & services, pumping $s into the economy.

I will partially attribute what some may consider a callus attitude to my training.  As a soldier I learned to weigh lives against the greater good.  As an engineer I learned that there are no perfect solutions.

10 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Yes, I will be protected - because I will protect myself.  As the economy & society opens, I will continue to be cautious, to follow social distancing guidelines for most interactions.  Yes, I have the luxury of doing this due to years of hard work.  My ‘job’ these days is to spend what I’ve accumulated over those years - to purchase goods & services, pumping $s into the economy.

I will partially attribute what some may consider a callus attitude to my training.  As a soldier I learned to weigh lives against the greater good.  As an engineer I learned that there are no perfect solutions.

You have the luxury of doing this because of your age and any health issues that leave you compromised. If you were in your 20s, 30s, or 40s and healthy and not retired, you'd be making the same tough decisions as the rest of us

You are callus about other people's lives or loss of life of those that are not as fortunate as you, because you choose to be. There are other soldiers who choose not to be. 

3 minutes ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

You have the luxury of doing this because of your age and any health issues that leave you compromised. If you were in your 20s, 30s, or 40s and healthy and not retired, you'd be making the same tough decisions as the rest of us

You are callus about other people's lives or loss of life of those that are not as fortunate as you, because you choose to be. There are other soldiers who choose not to be. 

You’re right - if I were 20-30 years younger I’d be in the thick of it.

It might surprise you to find that I’m somewhat callus about my own life.

Remember -

It’s not about how many breaths you take, but about the moments that leave your breathless.

Life is about quantity (heartbeats, breaths). Living is about quality (sensations, feelings).  Living is not possible w/o life; life is worthless w/o living.

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

You’re right - if I were 20-30 years younger I’d be in the thick of it.

It might surprise you to find that I’m somewhat callus about my own life.

Remember -

It’s not about how many breaths you take, but about the moments that leave your breathless.

Life is about quantity (heartbeats, breaths). Living is about quality (sensations, feelings).  Living is not possible w/o life; life is worthless w/o living.

"From the first faint breath of the infant to the last gasp of the dying man, it is one long story of continued breathing." - Yogi Ramacharaka; The Science of Breath.

On 4/24/2020 at 9:36 AM, Bit Banger said:

If I could hit multiple like I would Max it out on this one.... Best thing I've heard the last couple months... Especially the emphasis on how much everyone who says no one should not leave our houses EXPECTS so much from so many other people who HAVE to leave to provide the things they need or demand to still get...

Yeah, I wonder how many folks have their root cellar stocked?  How about their plans for this year’s truck garden to fill that cellar for next winter?  Got your pile of corn cobs & mail order catalogs (*) ready by the outhouse?

Didn’t think so.  Me neither 🥴

(*) One of the disadvantaged of the digital age is the dearth of outhouse TP and the soft porn of lingerie ads 😝

On 4/18/2020 at 4:57 AM, Kaduk said:

Laura Ingraham ::“Dr. Fauci, on the question of a vaccine: We don’t have a vaccine for SARS,” she said, adding: “We don’t have a vaccine for HIV. And life did go on, right?”

Fauci::  “Well, no, but Laura, this is different,” he said. “HIV/AIDS is entirely different. We don’t have a vaccine for HIV/AIDS, but we have spectacularly effective treatment. People who invariably would have died years ago right now are leading essentially normal lives. SARS is a different story. SARS disappeared.” “So, I think it’s a little bit misleading, maybe, to compare what we are going through now with HIV or SARS. They’re really different.”

Ingraham suggesting that the virus could soon disappear, like Fauci noted that SARS had. Laura Ingraham:: “This could as well, correct?” she asked.

Fauci::“You know, anything could, Laura. But I have to tell you, the degree of efficiency, of transmissibility of this is really unprecedented in anything that I’ve seen,”  “It’s an extraordinarily efficient virus in transmitting from one person to another. Those kinds of viruses don’t just disappear.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/17/laura-ingraham-fauci-interview/

Yeah, I don't like that nasty wasp either, but that's not an answer. Please say something that's not a quote. Bit has a point. Disease and mankind have been holding hands since the dawn of our existence. Should we hide in caves like the Morlocks? Personally, I prefer Weena. Doesn't mean you have to be stupid. Adapt. This is not how mankind disappears. People are like cockroaches. Even after the ice age 170 thousand years ago, somehow this disgusting species managed to survive with only 5000 of us by the sea.

No.

I'll start to worry when someone figures out how to manufacture a black hole. 

Boo!

2 hours ago, Vassago said:

Yeah, I don't like that nasty wasp either, but that's not an answer. Please say something that's not a quote. Bit has a point. Disease and mankind have been holding hands since the dawn of our existence. Should we hide in caves like the Morlocks? Personally, I prefer Weena. Doesn't mean you have to be stupid. Adapt. This is not how mankind disappears. People are like cockroaches. Even after the ice age 170 thousand years ago, somehow this disgusting species managed to survive with only 5000 of us by the sea.

No.

I'll start to worry when someone figures out how to manufacture a black hole. 

Boo!

I’ll use the same argument but from the other side. Humanity has been here for thousands of years; through plagues, blights, famine, ecological catastrophes...you name it and we’re still here. Most of those things happened well before there was a global economy to consider. So if we look at it from a black and white stand point us waiting a month to let things settle will have zero impact on humanities overall survivability. The only difference is when we talk about The Plague or any other threatening event it’s rather foreign and doesn’t involve us. The word quarantine came about during the plague. As a measure of safety it’s what they did. If we talk about the Great Depression we do in fact know mortality rate as a whole did not increase. People didn’t starve to death though times were tough. For years. Suicide rates did increase but there wasn’t some mass plummet in life. And that’s really all we can compare it too. The Great Recession also didn’t cause an increase in mortality. So when there is a comparison about “what could possibly happen based off history” then it tells us no matter what we do humanity will go on. This just affects us and all these “altruist” notions of the economy and “think of the grandkids’ future!” come off as putting money before life. I’m also fairly certain when anyone says “many will die” they aren’t counting themselves or their immediate family in that tally. And as I asked in another post, I’m also certain those championing an immediate return to normalcy at the risk of others wouldn’t forgo treatment as to not tax an already overburden healthcare system should they themselves wind up on the receiving end of the unlucky stick. I’d also wager if they lost a child or loved one “yeah some people will have to die” won’t be the soothing and comforting words of choice at the wake. “Johnny was a great son. But many people had to die for the sake of our economy!” just doesn’t roll off the tongue smoothly. 

So, as far as humanity is concerned, us waiting a month will literally be an insignificant blip when it’s all said and done. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 hour ago, JoDoe27 said:

I’ll use the same argument but from the other side. Humanity has been here for thousands of years; through plagues, blights, famine, ecological catastrophes...you name it and we’re still here. Most of those things happened well before there was a global economy to consider. So if we look at it from a black and white stand point us waiting a month to let things settle will have zero impact on humanities overall survivability. The only difference is when we talk about The Plague or any other threatening event it’s rather foreign and doesn’t involve us. The word quarantine came about during the plague. As a measure of safety it’s what they did. If we talk about the Great Depression we do in fact know mortality rate as a whole did not increase. People didn’t starve to death though times were tough. For years. Suicide rates did increase but there wasn’t some mass plummet in life. And that’s really all we can compare it too. The Great Recession also didn’t cause an increase in mortality. So when there is a comparison about “what could possibly happen based off history” then it tells us no matter what we do humanity will go on. This just affects us and all these “altruist” notions of the economy and “think of the grandkids’ future!” come off as putting money before life. I’m also fairly certain when anyone says “many will die” they aren’t counting themselves or their immediate family in that tally. And as I asked in another post, I’m also certain those championing an immediate return to normalcy at the risk of others wouldn’t forgo treatment as to not tax an already overburden healthcare system should they themselves wind up on the receiving end of the unlucky stick. I’d also wager if they lost a child or loved one “yeah some people will have to die” won’t be the soothing and comforting words of choice at the wake. “Johnny was a great son. But many people had to die for the sake of our economy!” just doesn’t roll off the tongue smoothly. 

So, as far as humanity is concerned, us waiting a month will literally be an insignificant blip when it’s all said and done. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Thank you. The fact that you read anything I posted here is a tremendous compliment.

The ultimate point I meant to present was that the only way to find out what true beginning looks like is to wipe the nastiest virus on the face of the planet from existence. The problem is that it's extraordinarily resolute. The solution is simply to remove the earth, it's moon, the sun and everything else around it, from the existence. The only way I can think of to do that, with my tiny Cro-Magnon brain is to re-create what the ancient Scandinavians called Ragnarok. The most of us will be swallowed alive. 

We all die. Should we be afraid? Or should we live?

"It's a good day to die." - Crazy Horse. 

8 hours ago, Vassago said:

Thank you. The fact that you read anything I posted here is a tremendous compliment.

The ultimate point I meant to present was that the only way to find out what true beginning looks like is to wipe the nastiest virus on the face of the planet from existence. The problem is that it's extraordinarily resolute. The solution is simply to remove the earth, it's moon, the sun and everything else around it, from the existence. The only way I can think of to do that, with my tiny Cro-Magnon brain is to re-create what the ancient Scandinavians called Ragnarok. The most of us will be swallowed alive. 

We all die. Should we be afraid? Or should we live?

"It's a good day to die." - Crazy Horse. 

Why not both?

I did get point. And I do mostly agree. 

“Yippee ki yay, motherfucker.” - John McClane