Bit Banger

OK, high rollers, try this?

14 posts in this topic

For those interested in fine spirits:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/this-shot-of-scotch-whisky-costs-more-than-a-porsche-911-carrera

Now I’m an avid Scotch drinker who’s had a few 15-25 year olds in my liquor cabinet.  I’ve even seen a 50yo bottle going for only $35,995.  But this is ridiculous.  Besides, imho, past 15 years the marginal improvement in taste does not justify the significant increase in price.

I was just about to ask if the price makes it taste better lol. I have bought expensive champagne before that taste like shit and I wanted to dump it down the drain, and I have bought cheap champagne or wine that taste amazing!

Up to a certain point an increase in price indicates a significant increase in quality.  I have enjoyed some older Scotches, but I find the sweet spot to be about 16yo and often about $80-100/750ml bottle.  I can’t really taste the difference between an 18yo and a 25yo, but I can between a 10yo & 18yo.  Perhaps a more educated palate can.  

BTW:  The age quoted on the label indicates how long the spirit was in the barrel, giving up the “angel’s share”; whisky doesn’t age once it’s bottled.  Also, unlike wines, whisky won’t turn to vinegar.

There’s an old saw: Does whisky go bad once you’ve opened the bottle?  No, but why take a chance?

I too enjoy a fine well aged single malt, but the ridiculous price has nothing to do with how good (or bad) it tastes. It's because it is so rare. Only 40 bottles of it ever existed. Who knows how many of those 40 are even still around.

As much as I like Scotch, I can't ever see myself spending $100k on a single shot of Scotch.

not much of a scotch drinker but have developed a taste for top shelf tequila.  buy it in Mexico in the birthplace of tequila Jalisco. They can be pricey even in Mexico. 

10 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

I’ve even seen a 50yo bottle going for only $35,995.  But this is ridiculous.  

But the almost 36K for a bottle wasn't???  :eek:

9 hours ago, gr8owl said:

But the almost 36K for a bottle wasn't???  :eek:

Naw, that’s a joke.  A mere $2,100/shot.  I’ve noted $1,000/shot on the whisky menus down at Pint’s Pub.

😱😜😵🤢🥴🥺😱

Rarity = expensive.  It's not always because of how it tastes.  Even though I'm a big fan of Scotch whisky, I would probably struggle with the financial anxiety of knowing that each small sip of the dram (shot) in my hand is costing me $15,000, even if it's the best tasting ever.

2 hours ago, synoches said:

Rarity = expensive.  It's not always because of how it tastes.  Even though I'm a big fan of Scotch whisky, I would probably struggle with the financial anxiety of knowing that each small sip of the dram (shot) in my hand is costing me $15,000, even if it's the best tasting ever.

I wonder if they cry when they watch it go down the toilet after an hour.

Rather have the car. Of course with the car you will also need a garage! Yay possibly not in Denver? Just find the car much more appealing and  yes I would need a driver too😱😂 Oh my this is all too much thought! 

This thread and subject make me happy that I don't drink .Can imagine many more wonderful things to do with that money.

10 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Rather have the car. Of course with the car you will also need a garage! Yay possibly not in Denver? Just find the car much more appealing and  yes I would need a driver too😱😂 Oh my this is all too much thought! 

You aRe a great driver just not on the streets.