Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaduk

Unprecedented flair for showmanship......

22 posts in this topic

He was definitely not a "go along to get along" man. He spoke out about what he believed, and he changed boxing, and sports overall. Personally, I think he was a great man, who suffered at the end of his life, and I'm glad he is at peace.

From NBC news:

Ali spoke with introspection after losing to Ken Norton in 1973, despite 5-1 odds in his favor:

1. "I never thought of losing, but now that it's happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life."

While Ali boasted on his accomplishments in the ring he felt the burden of carrying the hopes and dreams of Black America on his shoulders. In the 1996 documentary "When We Were Kings," Ali mentions embraces this responsibility:

2. "I'm gonna fight for the prestige, not for me, but to uplift my little brothers who are sleeping on concrete floors today in America. Black people who are living on welfare, black people who can't eat, black people who don't know no knowledge of themselves, black people who don't have no future."

His quotes cover education:

3. "Stay in College, get the knowledge, stay there until you are through. If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something of you!"

The gamble that is human life:

4. "Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just don't let yourself believe it will happen to you."

The ability to dream and the consequences for the dreamless:

5. "The man who has no imagination has no wings."

And believing in oneself:

6. "It's the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen."

Muhammed Ali may have left this world, but his legacy, and poignant words of wisdom will live on forever.

How sad. RIP Cassius Clay, I remember before they televised him listening to his fights on radio with my dad. Years upon years ago. I remember it well.

Muhammad-Ali-right-stuns--009.jpg?w=460&

The Greatest. Ever. There will never be another like him. His three fights with Joe Frazier stand as the pinnacle of a sport which doesn't really exist anymore. Anybody know who the heavyweight champion of the world is?

For me, Muhammad Ali will always be The Champ.

Image result for muhammad ali

I remember the fight 04/25/1964, Cassius Clay vs Sonny Liston, I was 7 yrs old.

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. The hands can't hit what the eyes can't see"

Ali had the strength of his convictions to take an unpopular political stance. And stick to it.

In 1973, for example, Ali learned that a home for elderly Jewish people was going to close because it was out of money.

"I'll never forget that night," Kilroy said. "It was a cold January night and we saw it on the news. Ali really paid attention to it and you could tell it bothered him, that all these people were going to be put out. They had nowhere to go. He told me to find out where it was, so I called the TV station and got the address.

"We drove over there and walked in and some guy comes up to me. I said, 'We're looking for the man in charge. Where is he?' And the guy says, 'I am. What do you want?' And Ali tells him he wants to help. He wrote him a check for $200,000 and tells him to put it in the bank that night. And then he writes another check for $200,000 and tells him to wait four days, because he has to get home and put some more money in the bank to cover the check."

From:   http://sports.yahoo.com/news/muhammad-ali--simply--the-greatest---dead-at-74-042902069.html

A good read.

Signature

Too many favorite moments to comment on them all, but I remember an interview with George Foreman who once hit Ali with the most devastating punch in his arsenal.  Ali barely reacted, looked at George and asked, "Is that all you've got?"  Foreman went on to describe how at that moment, every once of fight he had suddenly drained out of him as he thought to himself, "Ya. That's all I've got."

Certainly one of the most gifted, entertaining, and humorous stars ever - and by most accounts a genuinely good heart.  At the same time hated and vilified by many - he was loudly booed before the second Liston fight even though he was fighting a career thug, former inmate with clear mob ties. Speaking of Liston fights - yes, Ali was perhaps the greatest heavy weight of all time, despite the phantom punch, Liston's refusal to answer bell and all the shenanigans in those two fights.  His refusal to be drafted, opposition to the war, having his title stripped, standing up for equality and the mass hatred toward him for speaking his mind and standing up for what he believed - those traits made him truly "the Greatest" in my mind.

I am not into boxing, but I respected and admired him. He transcended sports. He fought for what he believed and spoke from his hearth. His death is a great loss to the world.

giphy.gif

Saddened by his death but I never really knew much about him. After the seeing the reaction and everyone sharing their favorite Ali moments I think I should definitely learn more about this man.

2 hours ago, Lucy Kitten said:

After the seeing the reaction and everyone sharing their favorite Ali moments I think I should definitely learn more about this man.

There are lots of great photos and video clips and stories about Ali the boxer and Ali the activist. But he was still a young man when diagnosed with Parkinsons which he lived with for 32 years. This imho is the best thing ever written about Ali and one of the best biographies I have ever read.

http://www.approachingali.com/

On 6/4/2016 at 1:07 AM, Bit Banger said:

I didn't agree with his politics, but he was The Greatest!

No doubt he was a polarizing figure on an international scale.  He was probably the most recognizable person/athlete in the world, stood for civil justice at a time that many other professional athletes didn't want to get involved in.  Way too many shots to the head in his earlier years (and rounds) that may have accelerate Parkinsons.  G.O.A.T. in my book!

7 minutes ago, BigBaldBlk said:

No doubt he was a polarizing figure on an international scale.  ...

Ali was a great fighter. He had a big mouth, but unlike many he backed it up, both in & out of the ring.

I disagreed with his Contientious Objecter request, thinking it more political than religious. ( I had several interesting,  late night conversations with the Quaker CO medic assigned to my unit in 'Nam.) But I will give him credit for sticking around to face the music (unlike many who fled the country). He paid a heavy price for his convictions.

Everything he did with his life was a credit to society. Even his CO request brought light to a dark corner.

I never met Ali but still felt a connection and pride being from Louisville,Ky. myself ( it's pronounced Lu-a-vull ya'll). I did know his father (Cassius Sr.) because he painted signs on my Dads business trucks (auto- salvage yard). My last 2 years of high school desegregation was instituted in Lou., so I was going to be bused to an all black school. At first it seemed devastating, even after finding out I would be going to Central H.S. (Alis' alma mater). But soon I realized it wasn't that bad and it was kind of cool to be walking down the halls that "The Greatest" walked down. A year ahead of me at Central was another boxer -Greg Page, he was supposed to be the next Ali, he had Alis' size and speed but didn't possess the fortitude Ali had and was defeated badly early in his career. Going to Central also allowed me to overcome some of the racism that still existed in parts of my family. I remember one hilarious classroom exchange like it was yesterday -Our English teacher asked for synonyms for the word female and one black student called out "Ho", when I picked myself off the floor I thought this guy is as big of an idiot as me and my friends are. The teacher instead of getting upset or deflecting the answer actually wrote Ho on the blackboard and went into a discussion about the origin of the word. Going to Central actually did change the direction of my life in the biggest way also, because it offered a class that was not offered at my previous white school and led to my college major. I did get my drivers license 6 months into going to Central, so my buddies and myself didn't have to catch the bus anymore. We drove to school in my big white pimp mobile '63 Cadillac my Dad gave me. and discovered a nice little drive-thru liquor store a few blocks from the school that would sell 16 yr olds beer ( thanks cool black dude in the Steve McQueen hat). What I really want to say is I take great pride in saying I went to the same school as Muhammad Ali.

4 hours ago, Gregorysymph said:

I never met Ali but still felt a connection and pride being from Louisville,Ky. myself ( it's pronounced Lu-a-vull ya'll). I did know his father (Cassius Sr.) because he painted signs on my Dads business trucks (auto- salvage yard). My last 2 years of high school desegregation was instituted in Lou., so I was going to be bused to an all black school. At first it seemed devastating, even after finding out I would be going to Central H.S. (Alis' alma mater). But soon I realized it wasn't that bad and it was kind of cool to be walking down the halls that "The Greatest" walked down. A year ahead of me at Central was another boxer -Greg Page, he was supposed to be the next Ali, he had Alis' size and speed but didn't possess the fortitude Ali had and was defeated badly early in his career. Going to Central also allowed me to overcome some of the racism that still existed in parts of my family. I remember one hilarious classroom exchange like it was yesterday -Our English teacher asked for synonyms for the word female and one black student called out "Ho", when I picked myself off the floor I thought this guy is as big of an idiot as me and my friends are. The teacher instead of getting upset or deflecting the answer actually wrote Ho on the blackboard and went into a discussion about the origin of the word. Going to Central actually did change the direction of my life in the biggest way also, because it offered a class that was not offered at my previous white school and led to my college major. I did get my drivers license 6 months into going to Central, so my buddies and myself didn't have to catch the bus anymore. We drove to school in my big white pimp mobile '63 Cadillac my Dad gave me. and discovered a nice little drive-thru liquor store a few blocks from the school that would sell 16 yr olds beer ( thanks cool black dude in the Steve McQueen hat). What I really want to say is I take great pride in saying I went to the same school as Muhammad Ali.

Memories are the greatest way to honor someone that is gone. You have a very special one. I appreciate that you shared it :) Great story.

On 6/7/2016 at 5:17 PM, fishndude57 said:

Thanks for the link fishndude. That was cool to see, but it also led to another link that showed the 1964 Liston- Clay title fight in its entirety. Joe Louis (one of the announcers), labeled it as the biggest upset in championship history. Cassius Clay (changed his name to Muhammad Ali after the fight), was a 7-1 underdog.

" We all have the same God, we just serve him differently. Rivers, lakes, ponds, streams, oceans all have different names, but they all contain water. So do religions have different names, and they all contain truth, expressed in different ways forms and times. It doesn't matter whether you're a Muslim, a Christian, or a Jew. When you believe in God, you should believe that all people are part of one family. If you love God, you can't love only some of his children. "       Muhammed Ali

On 6/6/2016 at 11:36 AM, BigBaldBlk said:

No doubt he was a polarizing figure on an international scale.  He was probably the most recognizable person/athlete in the world, stood for civil justice at a time that many other professional athletes didn't want to get involved in.  Way too many shots to the head in his earlier years (and rounds) that may have accelerate Parkinsons.  G.O.A.T. in my book!

I would agree with you on all your points.

Ali was great when greatness was needed most. RIP Mr. Clay.

The world is a lesser place without you.