Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
86Chevy

Hobby Phones

30 posts in this topic

Hello all. I was a member here two years ago using the same name and took a hiatus from the Hobby due to a busy work schedule and really saw only one provider who I had seen a few times. Had the itch to get back to it, tried to log in and apparently if you are not posting or logging in for some time your account gets deleted. Well that sob story aside, this will show as my first post, but in reality I've sent a few.

One thing I never really took to heart was using a hobby phone. I just figured I'd stick with P411 for most of the contact and use my everyday phone the day of the appointment. However, the need and desire to keep my personal stuff my personal stuff has really become a huge factor, maybe I am just maturing some. I know that there are plenty of them out there, but does anyone have any advice on a good hobby phone. I also read in the "things I have learned" thread about getting minutes for the hobby phone without using any personal information. That knowledge would be very helpful too. Thanks in advance and I look forward to becoming active again, even if it is just an active reader.

I use a TracFone that I got from Walgreens. Paid cash and it didn't require any info to activate. Also pay cash for the minutes every 60 days.

Thanks for the information. Is that common that minutes expire after a certain time? And do you just buy minutes like a prepaid phone card and then activate them through the phone?

I use an AT&T Go-Phone. It is minimum $15.00 per month. Totally anonymous, and has texting too.

The nice thing is that refill cards are available most anywhere including the Big Box home improvement stores like "L's" or "HD".

I use a $29.00 phone from Walmart that uses T-Mobile. I purchase 1000 minutes for $100 which last 1 year. This same phone is available from the T-Mobile stores for $59.00.

I like to renew once a year and forget it. Good for talk and text.

I use a phone from King Soopers, anonymous if you don't use your shopper card. I buy $10 cards which are good for a month. But I might change to the Walmart phone and not have to enter a new card number each month.

Definitely get an anonymous hobby phone, otherwise you are trackable.

Good info in this thread. I've been wondering about getting one of these phones myself.

Thanks for the information. Is that common that minutes expire after a certain time? And do you just buy minutes like a prepaid phone card and then activate them through the phone?

With the TracFone I have you buy the prepaid phone card and activate it through the phone. You're purchasing service days and not minutes. When I have minutes left over they have been rolling over so I haven't lost any minutes. I was wrong in my first post though, the $19.99 is for 90 days and that comes with 60 minutes which has been perfect for me since I don't talk or text much on it. Just enough to book an appointment and get directions.

Now I have a random question...

I know myself (and several other Ladies that I chat with) use the Google Voice app through our personal phones. I know the app isn't 100% perfect but it is free and easier than lugging around (or hiding) a 2nd phone. How come you don't use the app? Is it the possibility of your phone going off at the wrong moment? There is a *do not disturb* function on the app that can turn off the notifications.

Re: Google Voice: yes, there is a Do Not Disturb function on it. And yes, can disable notifications for it as well on the phone.

I think the big issue with Google Voice is that it's Google. Deity knows how they are using that information, tying it to other things tied to you, etc. To have a Google Voice number, you need to tie it to at least one other number. And back in the day, could not have Google services without having a "real" name (were trying to force everyone onto Google+ and make one more valuable to advertisers).

Now, I do use GV for my "other" number (the one that I give to everybody other than friends and family) and works great for that with Do Not Disturb on (eg. little to no telemarketing calls, and all get filtered and spammed out, and does not ring my real phone ever). For a hobby compromise, I use the Burner app on my iPhone. Like a separate burner phone, you buy minutes, but you generate a temporary number, good until out of minutes or add more credits to the number. Still tied to your real cell phone, but also has the functions of GV in that can turn off notifications, so, no awkward beeps, popups, etc. unless truly looking to hookup. And don't have to get a new burner phone if some whack-job ASP starts putting my number out there (just burn the old number, get a new one).

I think the big issue with Google Voice is that it's Google.

^^This. Tolkien said it best: "Concealed within his fortress, the lord of Mordor sees all. His gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth, and flesh."

tracphone, less than $10 at walmart. Some phones will give you double the minutes on the card you buy. You can set it up online and not have to give out any info. It will ask for info, but if you scroll down it will have a button to skip this step.

I use a $29.00 phone from Walmart that uses T-Mobile. I purchase 1000 minutes for $100 which last 1 year. This same phone is available from the T-Mobile stores for $59.00.

This is exactly what I do except from Target. It's the least hassle and least expensive when you stock up on minutes. You can renew through the phone with cards that you buy with cash and only have to worry abt it once a year.

Bought TracPhone from 7-Eleven for cash. Buy a new days and minutes refill card at 7-Eleven for cash every 60 or 90 days ($19.99 for 90-days)(all cash/burner plans require this). Used my hobby email for the Tracfone sign up and provided not one shred of personal information anywhere in the entire process. The phone works fine for this very limited purpose and usage.

The thing to know about the T-mobile cards is that if you start with a card less than $100, it's good for only a few months (I think 60 or 90 days) even if you haven't used all the minutes and texts. However, if you buy a $100 card, then it's good for a year (or until you use it up). AND, any card you buy after that, even if it's less than $100, is good for a year.

So the first card you buy should be $100 unless you plan to burn through a lot of minutes quickly.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, ideas and tips. This is all useful and frankly well worth the investment I think. I plan on picking mine up very soon.

I am not a fan of carrying around a second phone. I use a service called CaulingVault, which gives me a second number for calling and texting, which I can access from my phone or from a computer w/ a web browser. I find it to be very affordable, and I like the fact that it lets me text from a web browser. My only gripe is that incoming calls don't always work well. But I've been able to work around that, and have been very satisfied otherwise.

I use a TracFone that I got from Walgreens. Paid cash and it didn't require any info to activate. Also pay cash for the minutes every 60 days.

Same here. Works fine - and cheap. No audit trail.

So do you just keep it hidden somewhere turned off and only get it when you want to schedule, or do you keep it with you? Do you check it for messages?

If you have a smart phone, check out the app called "Burner".

You can easily (in seconds) create a new number and choose when / if to notify your real phone when calls and texts come in. Minutes are super cheap too.

So do you just keep it hidden somewhere turned off and only get it when you want to schedule, or do you keep it with you? Do you check it for messages?

If you have an SO, keep it at work. But when you need it for the rendezvous , you can find someplace in your car to hide it for a few hours. Some might hide it in the spare tire area. Or you can usually peal back the carpeting in the trunk, behind the tail lights. Put it in an old sock, maybe a little cardboard, to protect the screen if it not a flip phone.

If you are single, leave it in a dresser drawer.

Can you activate this through the phone itself or do you need to go online with a PC or another phone to activate it? I've used VirginMobile in the past but it requires an email and activation through their website.

Can you activate this through the phone itself or do you need to go online with a PC or another phone to activate it? I've used VirginMobile in the past but it requires an email and activation through their website.

You didn't use the quote function so I'm not positive this question was directed at me or not but if it was I honestly don't remember what the activation method was used but I can tell you that I did not need to provide an email address or any information to activate it. You can buy minutes from their website with a credit card but I choose to buy the minutes from a store where I can pay cash and leave no trail.

Edited by mj76
spelling

You have a hobby email account, right?

You have to assume that NOTHING on these boards is totally private. Providers in every city have texted old dates to drum up interest when times are slow. It sucks, yes. It happens, yes. And it isn't going to change. Same with emails. So.

Get another phone if you are worried in the slightest that if this happens someone may see it. Best buy has a wall of these things and you can pay cash. Just go get one you like that easily loads minutes via a prepaid cash minutes card. Get an anonymous email account as well at a domain that your new phone can accept emails from. I like gmx because they don't require you enter any other email address for some ridiculous security scam for more data.

Then enjoy yourself as much as humanly possible. This frickin' hobby is pure gold if you mine it right!!

^^This. Tolkien said it best: "Concealed within his fortress, the lord of Mordor sees all. His gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth, and flesh."

Tolkein was way ahead of his time!

If you have a smart phone, check out the app called "Burner".

You can easily (in seconds) create a new number and choose when / if to notify your real phone when calls and texts come in. Minutes are super cheap too.

I use Burner, too. Calling is a little clunky, but the texting is great. Overall, works well & affordable.

Yes, I do have a couple that I use. That said, the email sites often log the IP addresses that have logged into your email account and you can even see them for review.

You have a hobby email account, right?

Yes, I do have a couple that I use. That said, the email sites often log the IP addresses that have logged into your email account and you can even see them for review.

That's why I always use TOR when on the internet for hobbying.