Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

e-mail sending out spam links.

24 posts in this topic

hello. I hope you're doing well. It has come to my attention that my e-mail (Yahoo) has been sending out spam links. I have been told that my computer may have a virus. When I run my antivirus software it comes back clean. I have been told that my e-mail is getting hacked. I have changed my password four times and the day after I change it is still happens. Does anybody have any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

Also, it has been brought to my attention that some of the recipients are not aware that this may be a virus being sent to them in the form of a link, and have actually clicked on the link. Please note if you get an e-mail with just a link in it is probably a virus and do not click on it. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused anybody.

Please help!

hello. I hope you're doing well. It has come to my attention that my e-mail (Yahoo) has been sending out spam links. I have been told that my computer may have a virus. When I run my antivirus software it comes back clean. I have been told that my e-mail is getting hacked. I have changed my password four times and the day after I change it is still happens. Does anybody have any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

Also, it has been brought to my attention that some of the recipients are not aware that this may be a virus being sent to them in the form of a link, and have actually clicked on the link. Please note if you get an e-mail with just a link in it is probably a virus and do not click on it. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused anybody.

Please help!

https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+get+rid+of+php+script+that+hijacked+emails+account&spell=1

A friend of mine also has a yahoo mail account, and she is having the same problem. The link has the letters "php" somewhere after the ".com".

Destiny, it would appear the problem is not yours, but yahoos.

Have you thought about using gmail or hotmail?

I, for one, never open an unsolicited link with the letters "exe" or "php" in them.

I hope things work out for you.

I had the same issue with Yahoo a few years back. I subsequently deleted all contacts in the Yahoo account, changed the password an dnever used Yahoo again. I switched to Gmail and have not had any issues since. I would definitely suggest that you drop Yahoo and start using gmail, hotmail, or some other "ghost" email account.

IMO, it is a yahoo problem.

I've gotten maybe a dozen e-mails from various members here (the OP included), to my Review Board moderator e-mail with spam links and noticed the yahoo mail connection after the first few.

In addition to your antivirus try scanning your computer with malwarebytes. Sometimes it takes more than one type of scanner to find an infection.

Delete the last letter from the email addresses. ie: the "m" in ".com". That way no emails can be sent with out someone manually adding the "m" back in.

Depending on the number of contacts you have, it could be a short term pain in the ass. But you will not have this issue again.

It's a yahoo issue. They suck. Switch to gmail.

And since Google now controls Yahoo, ...

And since Google now controls Yahoo, ...

I haven't seen that any place, but if so, maybe they will get their shit together now.

hello. I hope you're doing well. It has come to my attention that my e-mail (Yahoo) has been sending out spam links. I have been told that my computer may have a virus. When I run my antivirus software it comes back clean. I have been told that my e-mail is getting hacked. !

Yeah, I've recieved a few of those .Never opened them, simply hit delete.

what's intresting..is I then deleted your email from my email address book...only to continue to recieve them.

Suggest you write down what email addresses you want to keep, delete your yahoo, start up a gmail account,transfer in those addresses.

and update yourself to a better antivirus.

I think it was about 2 years ago that I had to start using a Google password to access my Yahoo groups.

I no longer participate in these groups because I dislike Google's data collection policies.

It's a yahoo issue. They suck. Switch to gmail.

I'd prefer not to switch and get the problem solved somehow. I've had this email address for 6 years and never had any problems till now.

Had this problem a long time ago, changed password, been ok since then.

I'd prefer not to switch and get the problem solved somehow. I've had this email address for 6 years and never had any problems till now.

Which I think you can fix. I don't think that Yahoo is specifically the problem. it's weak and susceptible to malicious behavior.

Malwarebytes was a good suggestion, I might try kapersky too if you are still unable to find the virus. If you are using windows you might try and restore you computer to a healthier time. These hard to find viruses suck and can be difficult to get rid of and get worse as time goes by. Good luck!

If you want to keep your Yahoo! address but are concerned that someone has/may eventually hack your password, you could try using two-step authentication.

For those in the TLDR crowd, with two-step authentication you link your account with a phone number, then you establish a trusted devices list. If someone tries to access the account from a different device, it sends a unique code via text to your phone that they would need to enter before they can access the account. That way someone would need physical access to your phone to get into your account.

If you want to keep your Yahoo! address but are concerned that someone has/may eventually hack your password, you could try using two-step authentication.

For those in the TLDR crowd, with two-step authentication you link your account with a phone number, then you establish a trusted devices list. If someone tries to access the account from a different device, it sends a unique code via text to your phone that they would need to enter before they can access the account. That way someone would need physical access to your phone to get into your account.

Great suggestion.

Unless, of course, the slime that hacked Destiny's yahoo account has already done this?

Look at this link http://sherwoodhosting.com/email-ftp-support/email-address-hijacking-forgery.html

Also this is from a question and answer sight.

"When you receive a Mailor Daemon failure notice it's caused by a spammer to hide their address, it's called "spoofing" They are looking for a good working address. Just delete them. Never mark them as Spam, because you will be spamming your own address

I had the same thing happen to me. I had to delete all the addresses and abandon that email address. Never could get it clean.

Yep Yahoo is a big issue right now. I'm getting junk email from people personally & on some email lists I'm on & run.

I suggest the 2 step that was suggested before. Also, I thought I saw Yahoo is vulnerable with this Heartbleed issue.

Can also be a problem that is now unfixable. For example, Yahoo has had cross-site scripting problems in the past, so, address book could have been stolen some time back, and the spammer is just sending out spam with spoofed sender name and using the stolen contacts list.

No amount of password changes and or new IDs/service will fix that.