Election Day Anxiety

146 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Just Jos said:

You clearly don't know or just don't care how oppression works. But I'm not going to spend my evening trying to 'splain it you, Trump-tards. I'm officially bowing outta this convo. ✌️️ 

I'm just wondering is every single person who voted for Tump a Trump-tards? 

12 hours ago, Just Jos said:

This thread has been a total pussy dehydrator 😜🙊

Its not for my pussy, simply because I don't a give a shit. Lol 😂 But I found your comment funny. 😜

Edited by Nikki Holiday

Didn't I read somewhere that just today Obama signed into law or something or another that Planned Parenthood could never be defunded. Ok, so they're now safe. And again let me just say, Trump will not be able to just willy nilly change stuff. He can talk all he wants, but he can't just do anything. The freakin president doesn't have nearly as much power as one thinks. We survived Bush, we survived Obama, well survive this president as well. 

1 hour ago, Nikki Holiday said:

Its not for my pussy, simply because I don't a give a shit. Lol 😂 But I found your comment funny. 😜

I wish I could be more like you and not give a shit. Glad you enjoyed the comment. I think I'm hilarious... and sexy! 😉 

As to your question: I  genuinely believe that there are some people who voted trump who are just old school republicans (values are a little regressive but they are not racist)  They had to do what they thought was best for their party to win so in the end they aligned with him. Same case for Hillary. My values aligned more w Jill. But I wanted my vote to count so I voted Hillary. My sister (she's all white--same mom different dad) voted trump 🙄 She lives in southern Texas and is uber religious. Had her reasons for voting trump with not one being his hateful message. That was a turn off for her. So yes! I know those people exist.

But Then you have the trump-tards which Is the other half of the party. They are followers because they want to make America white again. (You all have heard his message, don't make me get the sound bites) That is an  indisputable fact.  I had no idea which category mag fell into when I called him a trump tard. I was having a slight meltdown and made some assumptions. Someone spank me. Emotions have been high for me the last few days. 

Jos....America will never be white.yes sometimes you are pretty funny. 

just my opinion.... the pigmentation of our skin means absolutely nothing. there is no such thing as color. Racism is taught. Anyone can unlearn it. If your a racists I would say you have a mental illness because your clearly not dealing with reality. 

I'm a racist towards people who hurt others. I don't give two shits what's your nationality is. Or what color your skin is. The color of our skin is only a label. This is comment is not directed at Jos by any means. This my train 🚂 of thinking. 

Edited by Nikki Holiday

9 hours ago, Lucy Kitten said:

And also Republicans and our new President and his VP have been vocal about defunding Planned Parenthood. PP is something that many sex workers rely on for reasonably priced sexual health care.

Without that you have women who can't afford care and when that happens you will have a decline in safety because it's less accessible or you will see a hike in prices to cover the cost of more expensive health care. Just because this job isn't legit doesn't mean it's safe from side effects of current politics. 

https://maggiemcneill.wordpress.com/2016/11/10/straight-talk/

Here is some good info from a well known sex worker and activist.

Lucy, as usual thank you for the information. Such a beautiful mind you've got there. I do feel these are important issues, and hopefully PP is the last thing on the list behind some very important topics let's hope he addresses first.  Thanks ,

BLB

7 hours ago, Nikki Holiday said:

Jos....America will never be white.yes sometimes you are pretty funny. 

just my opinion.... the pigmentation of our skin means absolutely nothing. there is no such thing as color. Racism is taught. Anyone can unlearn it. If your a racists I would say you have a mental illness because your clearly not dealing with reality. 

I'm a racist towards people who hurt others. I don't give two shits what's your nationality is. Or what color your skin is. The color of our skin is only a label. This is comment is not directed at Jos by any means. This my train 🚂 of thinking. 

For the most part I agree w you. Skin color shouldn't matter and to the slight majority I don't think it does. But when you are anything but white your journey in life is different and your  experiences shape your opinion. It absolutely does matter. I don't want to be combative w anyone but please I will not accept any chatter about how racism isn't a thing from any white man or woman ever. It's comical. 

On 11/9/2016 at 6:33 PM, Lucy Kitten said:

So serious question, are we just supposed to not believe everything that Trump and Pence campaigned for? Yes! We're supposed to just wait and see if they decide to ban Muslims or build a wall? Yes! Forget that during the last debate Trump said he would use to Supreme Court to fit his interests? Given the chance, all Presidents would do this. Obama included. Forget that they threatened Roe vs Wade? These are the things that got him elected and those who opposed the idea aren't supposed to be scared? No, it's just campaign BS.

Hillary said what she said because she has class and decorum and it was the right thing to say. I gave the man chance after chance and he did nothing but disappoint. So why honestly should I go into this with an open mind? He deserves the same "respect" that the right gave Obama for eight years.

Politicians will say what ever they think you want to hear just to get elected. The truth doesn't matter.

20 hours ago, gr8owl said:

It is actually a very sad day for the republican party:

http://theweek.com/speedreads/660907/gop-now-controls-white-house-senate-house-supreme-court-pick-most-governorships-state-houses

Because now that they have complete control they will have to actually DO SOMETHING to fix problems in the Country......

There are some strange rules in Congress. One in the Senate says that, and I'm paraphrasing,

It takes 60 votes for ending a filibuster.  The Repubs do not have 60 seats in the Senate, therefore no complete control.

A little post-election wisdom from the Good Book.  Psalm 146, verse 3:

"Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help."

The only wrong choice was not voting at all.  We all studied the candidates, and because of our various histories and beliefs, made the best choice we could. But, people are fallible.....even politicians.  The one thing you can count on in this life is that someone may let you down.

So.  Look in the mirror.  THAT is the person you are responsible for.  And that is the ONLY person whose actions you have 100% control over.

We are, all of us, Americans. We are tough as nails, opinionated, rude, noisy, proud, imperfect, different. We get through this, or anything, because of our faith in ourselves....not some "prince" that half of us voted for and half of us didn't.

Suck it up, folks.  Live, laugh, love.  Because of who we are.

"Be Excellent To Each Other."

Bill & Ted

1 minute ago, Johnboy#1 said:

Politicians will say what ever they think you want to hear just to get elected. The truth doesn't matter.

hmm but Obama didn't do that. He made a nomination for the Supreme Court and was shot down. I don't buy the it's just campaign BS. Trump made it to the White House with this BS and now we're not supposed to believe it? That's ridiculous. So why then did people vote for Trump? If nothing he said could be believed?

This sentiment of just wait it out and see how he does is the biggest load of hypocrisy that American's have ever dropped. Our President Elect was a birther but his supporters want everyone to give him the benefit of the doubt? Because he really didn't mean all those hateful things he built his campaign on?

I voted for Obama twice and never felt that he said anything just to say it. I believe he said what he meant and did what he said. So the truth matters, it definitely matters to me.  Maybe it's time we ditch the complacency and hold our politicians to some standards.

14 minutes ago, Lucy Kitten said:

hmm but Obama didn't do that. He made a nomination for the Supreme Court and was shot down. I don't buy the it's just campaign BS. Trump made it to the White House with this BS and now we're not supposed to believe it? That's ridiculous. So why then did people vote for Trump? If nothing he said could be believed?

This sentiment of just wait it out and see how he does is the biggest load of hypocrisy that American's have ever dropped. Our President Elect was a birther but his supporters want everyone to give him the benefit of the doubt? Because he really didn't mean all those hateful things he built his campaign on?

I voted for Obama twice and never felt that he said anything just to say it. I believe he said what he meant and did what he said. So the truth matters, it definitely matters to me.  Maybe it's time we ditch the complacency and hold our politicians to some standards.

"If you like your plan, you can keep it." Was the biggest crock ever foisted on  the American public.

Holding our politicians to some standards is a great idea. Let's start with term limits for Congress.

Edited by Johnboy#1

25 minutes ago, Lucy Kitten said:

Really?  As I recall Obama said that he would get us out of the Middle East conflict & close Gitmo. How's that working out? 

Obama swore to uphold the laws of America.  Were his fingers crossed behind his back WRT the immigration laws passed be Congress?

Nor are Republicans free of campaign rhetoric. Remember, "Read my lips, no new taxes."

What politicians say before the election has little to do with what they accomplish afterwards. 

On 11/9/2016 at 0:13 PM, Bit Banger said:

It couldn't possibly be because:

• They didn't want someone who was "careless" with national security material as POTUS?
  • They didn't want the party that ignores our immigration laws in power?
  • They wanted a change from "business as usual" in the White House?
  • The middle class being tired of getting squeezed, with perks going to the upper & lower class?

No, it has to be for hateful reasons (racism, misogyny, etc.).

The USA was founded as a constitutional republic, not a democracy! The Electoral College is but one element of our representative style of government. It helps protect us from the tyranny of the majority. 

Part of today's problems (Federalism & the lack of States' rights) stem from the 17th Amendment, which transformed the Senate, the States' house, to another Peoples' body. States lost their seat at the table.

Your first 4 points are reasonable.  Of course there are legitimate reasons that people didn't want Hillary, or want the GOP in power.  There are plenty of differences in ideology (abortion vs right to life, gun policy, fiscal policy, taxes).  These are reasonable and can be debated and discussed.

The States don't have rights?  I sincerely disagree, plus states send representatives and senators to DC to represent what the states want.  However, there is definitely a difference in ideology here, too.  Should the states be able to decide all/most of their policies?  Or should the federal system dictate more of what is policy?  Again, these are worthy of discussion, and one side isn't necessarily right.  

And yes, the country was founded as a constitutional republic - and times have changed.  We don't have issues of geography, communication and logistics that prevent everyone from literally having their vote heard.  I support the Constitution mostly - and while it was a great document at the time, it was not without problems.  Blacks having no voting rights, being 3/5 a man, women not able to vote, and many more.  So the document was meant to be improved over time, thus our Amendments.  My opinion is that electoral college is antiquated, and not just because of our election results this time around.  True democracy would be using the popular vote, and it's what I support.  

On 11/10/2016 at 2:22 AM, Mr.Pink said:

we did win.

Cw3zlXOWgAA8Mwf.jpg

Yes, 'you' did win.  The electoral college had Trump winning - that's our system, and he won fair and square.  Showing a map of the districts that were red (vs blue) is really kind of pointless without raw data around who voted for what.  The map is mostly red, and most of those places are not population centers.  So more than half of Colorado being red isn't what matters - what matters is how many people in the entire state voted a particular way.  This map is so misleading for your point.

If the point is "most of rural America is 'red' ", then yes, that would be correct.

You might find this thread in the DP of interest. As usual, the meat is in the comments. 

I've seen a map which displays counties sorted by population with the top 50% in blue and the remainder in red. The maps look almost identical. Only 146 of 3000+ counties are blue; only 4 in CO. Do you want CA & NY to dictate terms to CO?  Not only are their value systems different, but so are their problems.  What works in an urban environment fails in the wide open spaces of fly-over territory; and vis-a-versa.

As one poster said, we don't hold one national election, but rather 51 simultaneous elections. 

2 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

You might find this thread in the DP of interest. As usual, the meat is in the comments. 

I've seen a map which displays counties sorted by population with the top 50% in blue and the remainder in red. The maps look almost identical. Only 146 of 3000+ counties are blue; only 4 in CO. Do you want CA & NY to dictate terms to CO?  Not only are their value systems different, but so are their problems.  What works in an urban environment fails in the wide open spaces of fly-over territory; and vis-a-versa.

As one poster said, we don't hold one national election, but rather 51 simultaneous elections. 

If those dictums relate to basic human rights, protections for people, funding for roads/schools/etc., then yes, I absolutely do not mind the federal government stepping in.  If left to their own devices, states can do some pretty horrible things to populations within the state.  This is where the Feds need to be in place, to prevent this.  Also, when it comes to broader issues like environmental protection, I think there is a federal role.  

Otherwise, for truly local/state issues, I tend to agree with you - a community, city or state have a better sense of what the specific needs are, and probably better mechanisms to enact them.  It goes the other way, too - there are communities in CO who have voted to ban fracking, but Colorado law supercedes and allows it.  

It's obviously complicated, and in theory I do believe States should have autonomy over themselves.  What I don't want to see is that states like Arizona pass laws that are blatantly discriminatory.  

My momma taught me to never discuss politics or religion.  If any of you need her number let me know;)

38 minutes ago, Phil-anderer said:

The States don't have rights?  I sincerely disagree, plus states send representatives and senators to DC to represent what the states want. ...

Prior to the 17th Amendment, the Senate represented the States' interests; the House represented the Peoples' interest. This was a compromise allowing the formation of the Unites STATES of American, which hopefully would be strong enough to stand up on the world stage by itself. The small states demanded a seat at the table. The alternative was 13 separate countries, subject to divide & conquer by their British oppressors. The argument of Federalism vs. States' Rights has been going on ever since. Hell, we even fought a Civil War over the issue. And yes, States' Rights lost when the urban North defeated the rural South.

10 minutes ago, Laci French-2940 said:

My momma taught me to never discuss politics or religion.  If any of you need her number let me know;)

+1

52 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

....I've seen a map which displays counties sorted by population with the top 50% in blue and the remainder in red. The maps look almost identical. Only 146 of 3000+ counties are blue; only 4 in CO. Do you want CA & NY to dictate terms to CO?  Not only are their value systems different, but so are their problems.  What works in an urban environment fails in the wide open spaces of fly-over territory; and vis-a-versa.

Great map Bit and probably describes what happened in the election.  The populous areas are primarily urban/minority/educated voters with maybe one or two attaching counties who typically vote blue.  The rural areas typically vote red.  Two things happened in this election (to me) that shows why Trump won.

1.  The people in the 146 counties didn't show to the polls and vote blue, or if they did, were far less than pre-Obama.  Maybe, some voted red at the last moment.  The rural counties did come out in droves.

2.  Most importantly, most Americans didn't care about Trumps business dealings, hate rhetoric, ego-manic, misogynistic views.  He beat out 16 other candidates in the primaries when many of their voters said they wouldn't vote for him....but in the end, sucked up and did.  One vote for Trump was a non-vote for Hillary.  I think the Dems thought the same, just got complacent and figured he couldn't win.

For those of you who feel you won something, in truth, you didn't.  Same for those who felt they loss.  Ebb and flow of politics.  This topic is hot right now, but it'll be on Page 3 or 4 in a few weeks.  We'll be onto the next topic soon.

I could point out that not all of those who considered Clinton inappropriate for POTUS voted for Trump. 

1 hour ago, BigBaldBlk said:

Great map Bit and probably describes what happened in the election.  The populous areas are primarily urban/minority/educated voters with maybe one or two attaching counties who typically vote blue.  The rural areas typically vote red.  Two things happened in this election (to me) that shows why Trump won.

1.  The people in the 146 counties didn't show to the polls and vote blue, or if they did, were far less than pre-Obama.  Maybe, some voted red at the last moment.  The rural counties did come out in droves.

2.  Most importantly, most Americans didn't care about Trumps business dealings, hate rhetoric, ego-manic, misogynistic views.  He beat out 16 other candidates in the primaries when many of their voters said they wouldn't vote for him....but in the end, sucked up and did.  One vote for Trump was a non-vote for Hillary.  I think the Dems thought the same, just got complacent and figured he couldn't win.

For those of you who feel you won something, in truth, you didn't.  Same for those who felt they loss.  Ebb and flow of politics.  This topic is hot right now, but it'll be on Page 3 or 4 in a few weeks.  We'll be onto the next topic soon.

I wish I could give more than one thumbs-up to this.  Well stated.

OK so some folks don't like the election results. It is what it is! Stopping traffic on I25 s just DUMB! There were lots of folks who didn't want Obama as president.  We  will just have to wait an see what develops and when.

20 hours ago, BigBaldBlk said:

+1000