Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Velvet Valentine

Speer on Sundays

23 posts in this topic

I was driving down Speer today. Went grab some sushi, and I saw the oddest 3 people in a distance of just a few blocks that I feel it's worth a laugh, discussion, ....or something.

Person 1- A shockingly good-looking,clean-cut, preppy looking, well-dressed, supposedly homeless guy (Speer near Broadway) holding up a sign that said "Needy and Greedy".

Person 2- a edgy "suicide girl" type girl, totally alone on the corner of Speer and Colfax, with the most seriously floresent orange/red hair I have ever seen, begging for money, with the word "sold" tattooed across her chin in large block font. I could read this from my car with no glasses on.

Person 3- an extremely obvious cross-dressing male hooker with a spiky crewcut, working the corner of Speer near Lincoln, and trying to flag cars down in a light blue fur coat and stripper heels, and wearing a purple boah. He even waved at me in a very flamboiant obvious to everyone manner.

I just was dumb-founded the whole way home....I mean, how do people get away with all that? LOL

Edited by Velvet Valentine
sp

Just a slice of life in the (not quite) big city.

Entertaining? Yes. Shocking? Perhaps just a bit.

Roll with it, Miss VV. Beats the hell out of the boring suburbs!

Are you sure you weren't in Boulder? LOL

Creative pan-handling.

Incidentally, if you want to give to the "needy," give to charities that help the needy. I have a friend who helps the homeless, and he always preaches that handing money to a guy with a sign is never the best thing for the guy with the sign.

Maybe panhandlers would rather be called "performance artist" these days?

Maybe it's just me but if I can afford this hobby, giving a few bucks to the man behind the cardboard sign isn't going to make or break me. I am not going to beat myself up whether or not it's actually in his or her best interest, the fact of the matter is that he needs it more than I do, he can have it.

Person 3- an extremely obvious cross-dressing male hooker with a spiky crewcut, working the corner of Speer near Lincoln, and trying to flag cars down in a light blue fur coat and stripper heels, and wearing a purple boa.

Ok thanks no purple boa next time. I was wondering if it was a little too tacky. :D

You shoulda seen NYC and 42nd street in the late 80s...before Rudy "fixed" it. I've been desensitized to city life. When you find a dead body on a bench that the light rail station...we'll start comparing notes :)

Maybe it's just me but if I can afford this hobby, giving a few bucks to the man behind the cardboard sign isn't going to make or break me. I am not going to beat myself up whether or not it's actually in his or her best interest, the fact of the matter is that he needs it more than I do, he can have it.

If it's not in his best interest, then truly what is the point?

boy howdy, my little cowtown is growin up so fast.

wonder why the sign-flyers can't also make an additional $10 an hour twirling signs as long as they're there.

There was a cute girl with a "newly homeless" sign off of Parker road and 225... about asked her to come back here and party but didn't catch the light.

She was very cute tho.

You shoulda seen NYC and 42nd street in the late 80s...before Rudy "fixed" it. I've been desensitized to city life. When you find a dead body on a bench that the light rail station...we'll start comparing notes :)

Saw that once in Keywest. Still got a picture to proove it too. lol...There were many "famous" homeless on Bourbon street too. Some even made it on tv a few times.

Ruthie the duck lady" had her own documentary about her life with her pet duck, "Spandex man" who looked like Hulk Hogan and wore see-thru spandex pants outlining his package , and cursed at everyone in his path...and one who wore a lampshade on her head as a hat, and ate Frisky cat food and stunk up my bar with it. She always asked me for a can opener. LOL

Edited by Velvet Valentine
sp

To feel good about having given alms.

I don't believe in helping institutional freeloaders, and I sure as hell don't believe in karma, but I do believe in the butterfly effect...so call it a science experiment, for which I'll never be able actually analyze the data.

What the hell was the name of that movie with Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd???

There are very good reasons why you shouldn't give money to someone on a street corner. First, some of those people aren't homeless at all -- they simply consider panhandling another type of job, and make a decent living at it. That person may make more money than you.

Second, some of these "needy" people use the money to buy drugs and/or alcohol. Do you really want to give your hard-earned money to a person who's going to inject it into their arm? You may as well go buy the drugs for them.....

Like pitbull said, if you really want to help them, give your money to a shelter or soup kitchen. They provide food & beds to the (truly) homeless, not drugs & booze.

My point is, $5 bucks on occasion of my hard earned money isn't going to break me. He's not getting rich off standing on the corner with a sign and I'm not going to prejudge him as to how he chooses to spend it. I don't do it so I can give myself a pat on the back, I do it so he might be able to be just a little more comfortable, if he chooses to shoot it up his arm, that's his choice. My ex wife works at the shelter and she wouldn't give a dime if she can't deduct it on her taxes.

I wont give them money anymore but I have offered to buy them hot food and bring it back. I'll usually do that for someone who asks for money outside a kingsoopers or safeway or grab a subway sandwich. I will go out of my way to do this if the person takes me up on it. But 9 out of 10 times they get bitchy with me and say they want the cash.

Its obviously not going for food so don't think we are all idiots.

I wont give them money anymore but I have offered to buy them hot food and bring it back. I'll usually do that for someone who asks for money outside a kingsoopers or safeway or grab a subway sandwich. I will go out of my way to do this if the person takes me up on it. But 9 out of 10 times they get bitchy with me and say they want the cash.

Its obviously not going for food so don't think we are all idiots.

Right on the mark. Many of these people aren't really "hungry" or "homeless" -- they just want money for drugs.

I was at a service station once, and a fat, toothless woman approaches me and asked, in a whiney voice, "sir, can I have some money? I'm huuuungry!". I said "you don't look hungry". Clearly, she just wanted her next fix.

Problem is, that kind of begging often works on people who want to feel good about themselves for "helping the needy". :cool:

I understand your point and yes maybe I've been swayed a bit. I guess I'll start carrying a case of bottled water with me and hand that out. I sincerely don't do it to make myself feel better or to give myself a pat on my back. I really appreciate the feedback.

The point is this: there are two ways a person can get money from you, by asking or by force. Tradeoffs. You do the math, but then don't complain about the results.

The point is this: there are two ways a person can get money from you, by asking or by force. Tradeoffs. You do the math, but then don't complain about the results.

I have no problem with people asking for money. The problem is when we are forced to support others through govt programs. But I suspect we are light years off the "Speer on Sundays" groove.

...I suspect we are light years off the "Speer on Sundays" groove.

"Show this contestant what he's won, Johny!"

<click>