Savoir Faire

Crock Pot

83 posts in this topic

I just picked up this crock pot but I haven't had a chance to unbox it and put it to work just yet. What are some of your favorite recipes/dishes that you cook often? 

Pulled pork. Chicken and rice. Beef stew. 

If you hate cleaning it or if cooking something sticky I definitely also suggest the crock pot liners by Reynolds wrap!

I live for the Mccormick crock pot seasoning mixes! 

I bought a ninja foodi that does everything and if it's in your budget it could definitely replace all your cooking appliances! 

Edited by MeganMarie4u

8 hours ago, sb1212 said:

5 bean bison chile. 

SB12 do you just pour the chile in or do you prepare it a certain way? 

7 hours ago, MeganMarie4u said:

Pulled pork. Chicken and rice. Beef stew. 

If you hate cleaning it or if cooking something sticky I definitely also suggest the crock pot liners by Reynolds wrap!

I live for the Mccormick crock pot seasoning mixes! 

I bought a ninja foodi that does everything and if it's in your budget it could definitely replace all your cooking appliances! 

M&M I tried some chicken and rice today and lets just say LOL, I only did it because you mentioned it, thanks. Cleaning is pretty simple, so that part I am good on. I will look into the McCormick seasoning mixes. Ninja foodi, huh, I will look into that one too, the one I got cost half of that. Thanks for your input............

3 hours ago, Savoir Faire said:

M&M I tried some chicken and rice today and lets just say LOL, I only did it because you mentioned it, thanks. Cleaning is pretty simple, so that part I am good on. I will look into the McCormick seasoning mixes. Ninja foodi, huh, I will look into that one too, the one I got cost half of that. Thanks for your input............

My foodi is 14 in 1 for $100(on sale) regular like 150.

Rice is sometimes hard to do properly in a slow cooker 😂 either too much liquid or not enough is a fine line!

But to make ribs in an hour or pulled pork in 30 minutes the pressure.cooker feature is awesome! 

20 minutes ago, MeganMarie4u said:

Rice is sometimes hard to do properly in a slow cooker 😂 either too much liquid or not enough is a fine line!

But to make ribs in an hour or pulled pork in 30 minutes the pressure.cooker feature is awesome! 

I love my Foodi and use it for so many things.  Love the flexibility of pressure cooking, air crisping, steaming, etc.  Last weekend made some chili and beans with veggies and it is tasty as heck.  Made rice yesterday for the pooch using the steam mode.  It cooks rice perfectly.

4 hours ago, Savoir Faire said:

SB12 do you just pour the chile in or do you prepare it a certain way? 

I mix in the bison, tomato juice, fire roasted tomatoes, diced green chilies,  five kinds of canned beans and some seasonings. Cook it all day. Freeze most of it - enough to last a couple months. 

Put me down as an Instapot fan.  I could never get beans or rice to cook properly at altitude. 24 hrs in a slow cooker and they were still hard.  With the pressure cooker this is not an issue.  Mine even has delayed start, so set it up, go shopping, and come home to a prepared meal.

I have sandwich baggies with dehydrated veggies, spices, etc.  Just add meat & water, and Bob’s your uncle.

58 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

... and Bob’s your uncle.

you just made me smile BB - haven't heard that since I was down under....

Beef roast.  3-5lb roast, small potatoes, baby carrots, cut up onions, beef broth and cut up celery..cook for about six hours on low. I use the small potatoes because ya don't have to peel them and they don't turn to mush either. Beef broth works better than stock because it won't jell up when it cools down. 

My version of Chili. Three pounds of hamburger cooked and chopped fine, like taco bell. Drain of all grease while cooking. Set that aside. Then grab large pot. Add three to four lard cans of tomato sauce, one large can of crushed tomatoes, four large cans of kidney beans, drain the juice because it tastes like shit, add beans to pot. Now, dump the meat into the pot. I add one to two cans of Rotel Chili Fixins and then add chili powder as needed. I use McCormick chile powder. It has the taste I like. Chili powders seem to have their on kinda taste, in my opinion. It must be good because my sons friends, ask me to make it this time of year.

I agree with that!! I bought one in March and I am still finding fun ways to create incredible meals with that thing.

18 hours ago, MeganMarie4u said:

green chili chicken  stew  corned beef and cabbage with carrots and taters  

I tried to make chicken and rice in my crockpot once and never did tried again. It’s definitely a fine line from perfection and disaster. 

I checked the Foodi and got close to getting one but was ultimately lured by Vitamix. Vastly different price points when compared to the Foodi and it’s not for everyone; however, I do love mine!

9 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Put me down as an Instapot fan.  I could never get beans or rice to cook properly at altitude. 24 hrs in a slow cooker and they were still hard.  With the pressure cooker this is not an issue.  Mine even has delayed start, so set it up, go shopping, and come home to a prepared meal.

I have sandwich baggies with dehydrated veggies, spices, etc.  Just add meat & water, and Bob’s your uncle.

8 hours ago, lintlizard said:

you just made me smile BB - haven't heard that since I was down under....

Bahaha I laughed out loud at Bob's your uncle and I've never even heard it before!

1 hour ago, JoDoe27 said:

I tried to make chicken and rice in my crockpot once and never did tried again. It’s definitely a fine line from perfection and disaster. 

I checked the Foodi and got close to getting one but was ultimately lured by Vitamix. Vastly different price points when compared to the Foodi and it’s not for everyone; however, I do love mine!

I guess I didn't consider elevation differences when I said chicken and rice 😂 in Arkansas it worked fine! I don't slow cook as much as I pressure cook anymore because who wants to wait 6 hours instead of 30 minutes! 

11 hours ago, MeganMarie4u said:

The Foodi is great. But, when ya do beef roast, it's easy to overcook the vegetables. I get the meat done and then add the veggies. On pressure cook, about the time it takes to get up to temp, they're almost done. 

12 hours ago, MeganMarie4u said:

Are you cooking white or brown rice? You have me over here dreaming about your ribs, I can tell you know what you are doing LOL. 

11 hours ago, sb1212 said:

I mix in the bison, tomato juice, fire roasted tomatoes, diced green chilies,  five kinds of canned beans and some seasonings. Cook it all day. Freeze most of it - enough to last a couple months. 

SB12 that sounds delicious, I am going to steal your recipe just so you know LOL. 

3 hours ago, JoDoe27 said:

J Doe I have the Instant Pot ($85 cost) and I tried the brown rice and chicken. It came out okay and I am not complaining.  

4 hours ago, mustang said:

green chili chicken  stew  corned beef and cabbage with carrots and taters  

Mustang you and M&M seem like crock pot pros....................... 

7 hours ago, tide32 said:

My version of Chili. Three pounds of hamburger cooked and chopped fine, like taco bell. Drain of all grease while cooking. Set that aside. Then grab large pot. Add three to four lard cans of tomato sauce, one large can of crushed tomatoes, four large cans of kidney beans, drain the juice because it tastes like shit, add beans to pot. Now, dump the meat into the pot. I add one to two cans of Rotel Chili Fixins and then add chili powder as needed. I use McCormick chile powder. It has the taste I like. Chili powders seem to have their on kinda taste, in my opinion. It must be good because my sons friends, ask me to make it this time of year.

Tide you are another Pro at this I see. M&M also uses McCormick as well. Thanks for sharing this, I am going to have to steal this recipe too. 

I found a lot of information on YouTube for the Ninja and Crock pots. There are reviews on both and they give ya a heads up on some mistakes to avoid. 

11 hours ago, Savoir Faire said:

Are you cooking white or brown rice? You have me over here dreaming about your ribs, I can tell you know what you are doing LOL. 

😂😂😂 you know how to get a free meal 🤭😉😝

pressure cook.... add sauce. Air fry till sauce is sticky!  The sauce really makes bbq what it is. Texas/kc style. Rubbed or sweet and smoky! 🔥🔥🔥

Today I'm doing a basic beef vegetable soup. 

2lbs ground beef

Frozen or canned carrots peas corn potatoes

1 package Mccormick beef stew mix

1 large can of tomato sauce

32oz beef broth low sodium

1 packet lipton onion soup mix. (If you've never used it.... you're missing out)

Pork Roast is the best   I ser it in a very hot pan with olive oil and a lot of garlic salt pepper about 5 mins on each side till all most burned 

I heat the pot up when doing  the siring and use a can or box of chicken both any kind 

then I put the roast in and let slow cook for about 8hr's    can use this for tacos or pulled pork or I just eat it alone .

Can add onions carrots potatoes   if you want more of a pork roast meal ...

14 hours ago, tide32 said:

The Foodi is great. But, when ya do beef roast, it's easy to overcook the vegetables. I get the meat done and then add the veggies. On pressure cook, about the time it takes to get up to temp, they're almost done. 

Yep.  I add the carrots and cut up potatoes after the beef roast is done.  I let it release the pressure, take the top off, add the veggies, put top back on and the pressure cook it for about 2 minutes then do a quick pressure release.  The potatoes, carrots and celery are perfect after 2 minutes.

Gotta say the doing pot roast in the foodi makes the best pot roast I've ever made.  It comes out restaurant quality.

Edited by average1
Forgot something.

On 11/10/2022 at 8:32 AM, sb1212 said:

Onions....forgot to include onions....

1 hour ago, average1 said:

Yep.  I add the carrots and cut up potatoes after the beef roast is done.  I let it release the pressure, take the top off, add the veggies, put top back on and the pressure cook it for about 2 minutes then do a quick pressure release.  The potatoes, carrots and celery are perfect after 2 minutes.

Gotta say the doing pot roast in the foodi makes the best pot roast I've ever made.  It comes out restaurant quality.

Totally agree!!

When you use a crock pot, do yourself a favor and get some liners.  Saves a lot of time and effort when you have to clean up.