Savoir Faire

Winterization Sprinkler Blowout

23 posts in this topic

When do you normally winterize your sprinkler system. I have had more success with doing it between Oct 15 and November 1st. I am curious to know when others tend to shut it down for the year? 

Just depends on the weather. Now would be good. We've been getting enough rain that ya don't need sprinklers. I haven't had sprinklers on for a couple of weeks. Get the winterizer now so you can lay it down before the first snow. 

From the title, I thought this thread would go another way.😈

I usually blow mine out about the second week of October. It seems like the freeze is becoming later each year though. I’d always rather be safe than sorry though. Busted pipes are a real pain.

I wait a wile, usually late October if it's really dry. If it's going to freeze, I drain the standpipe going to the valve box. The underground poly pipes wont freeze solid unless there's a week or so of cold weather. I drain the drip system for the shrubs and flowers mid October, it's just under the mulch ad can't take the first freeze.

I've never had a problem with broken pipes doing it this way. Tide is right though, it's been pretty wet so probably will do it early this year.

10 hours ago, tide32 said:

Just depends on the weather. Now would be good. We've been getting enough rain that ya don't need sprinklers. I haven't had sprinklers on for a couple of weeks. Get the winterizer now so you can lay it down before the first snow. 

Tide I agree, the weather does play a huge part thats why for the last few years I would go between Oct 15 and Nov 1st. I normally try to time it where I put the fertilizer down a week or so before the big snow and run the sprinklers until then............................Thanks for your input.........

8 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

I usually blow mine out about the second week of October. It seems like the freeze is becoming later each year though. I’d always rather be safe than sorry though. Busted pipes are a real pain.

Ms Audrey it appears we are on the same page. I haven't encountered any busted pipes, I am lucky when it comes to that kind of stuff. I have friends that have told me about the busting of the pipes and they all basically left their sprinklers on the entire winter. Thanks for your input............

Always 2nd week of October. It seems to freeze about then. 

21 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

There are a number or companions here who.can blow out my sprinkler any season they want - winter, spring, summer or fall..😁.

That said, if you are going to wait a few weeks, call now and get on someones schedule.  After the first freeze/snowstorm service availability tightens up dramatically.

Get together with neighbors and work out a discount with a service provider for multiple jobs on the same day. 

8 hours ago, Skg said:

Always 2nd week of October. It seems to freeze about then. 

SKG I have been doing the second week to November for the last 5 years or so and its worked well for me. I do it just in case October decides to throw a few scorchers my way........................Thanks for your input................

6 hours ago, wglide2003 said:

Thanks for the reminder, getting mine done Today.

Dubya I am glad I could be of service to you. I need to get on the schedule and getter done as well............

2 hours ago, sb1212 said:

There are a number or companions here who.can blow out my sprinkler any season they want - winter, spring, summer or fall..😁.

That said, if you are going to wait a few weeks, call now and get on someones schedule.  After the first freeze/snowstorm service availability tightens up dramatically.

Get together with neighbors and work out a discount with a service provider for multiple jobs on the same day. 

SB12 you just couldn't resist going there LOL.................. Now this is the classic way of responding to my post, love it.................... I must admit, I do have some cool female neighbors with some nice ??????....................... ooops I mean ??????? Thanks for your input................

At the end of october works good,have been doing that for years. Early mornings are already chilly so now or in a few weeks is good!

7 hours ago, Johnny_rey said:

At the end of october works good,have been doing that for years. Early mornings are already chilly so now or in a few weeks is good!

Johnny R I am working on that as we speak. 

On 10/5/2022 at 5:24 PM, Audrey Astor said:

Ya know, I was so tempted but I figured, let someone else get pounded on today. LOL.

Update................... Fertilizer is done so I am going to water it for another week or so and then I am shutting it down..........................

I wait until now or later based on weather forecasts.  But, then I have my own equipment, so I can be flexible.  

Edited by CountryGentleman

We can take it any way you'd like beautiful!!  

6 hours ago, CountryGentleman said:

I wait until now or later based on weather forecasts.  But, then I have my own equipment, so I can be flexible.  

Having your own equipment is a blessing. Not only can you be flexible but you can also make some money on the side if you choose too. Now I guess my hefty water bill will transfer over to the heating/electric LOL. Remembers this homeless guy telling me that I had it made and I replied to him that you have it made as well. LOL, he didn't understand why I said that and then I told him that people give and buy you things and all you have to do is stand her/ask. Nobody does that for me, LOL I have to work and pay bills every month and you don't........................He didn't like that story so I gave him 5 dollars and he hugged me................. 

I typically blow mine out last week of October, first week of November.  It's easy since I'm on a hill near the foothills.

3 hours ago, BigBaldBlk said:

I typically blow mine out last week of October, first week of November.  It's easy since I'm on a hill near the foothills.

Triple we pretty much are on the same timeframe. I just put down fertilizer the other day, so I am slowly playing around with my start/running times for a hard shutdown no later than November 1st................... I went with liquid fertilizer this time and I am not really seeing a difference. Thanks for your input.................