Caressa Duval

Texas Elementary School Shooting

81 posts in this topic

My hearts cries for the parents, that will never pick up their wee ones from school ever again 🖤🖤🖤  It keeps happening over and over and over again.  Things have to change in many ways.  We have watched this happen too many times. One time is one too many!!! One life is one too many!!! Those poor little ones :( gone forever.

I think it's really admirable that so many children give their lives to protect the unlimited and unrestricted right to bear arms.

1 hour ago, Caressa Duval said:

My hearts cries for the parents, that will never pick up their wee ones from school ever again 🖤🖤🖤  It keeps happening over and over and over again.  Things have to change in many ways.  We have watched this happen too many times. One time is one too many!!! One life is one too many!!! Those poor little ones :( gone forever.

Oh my... How tragic. So sad.

Yes, this and all other school shootings are a tragedy.  (Uvalde is about 300mi from where I’m sitting.)  As are the various homicides in major urban areas with the strictest gun control laws in our country.  But remember that a major step on the road to tyranny is the removal of arms from the common people.

53 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Yes, this and all other school shootings are a tragedy.  (Uvalde is about 300mi from where I’m sitting.)  As are the various homicides in major urban areas with the strictest gun control laws in our country.  But remember that a major step on the road to tyranny is the removal of arms from the common people.

We certainly do not need substantially more guns than people and no other country comes close to that.    But, what might you think would fix the problem? Something has to.  We cannot allow children to be sent off to be killed just attending school.  I don't care what has to go, but this cannot be allowed to continue.

57 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Would you dare say this? If today it was your daughter, son, or "grand daughter" that lost her life today just going to elementary school!!! 

9 hours ago, Caressa Duval said:

Would you dare say this? If today it was your daughter, son, or "grand daughter" that lost her life today just going to elementary school!!! 

Yes, because I fear the slippery slope of tyranny has higher costs for future generations.  Also because punishing good people for the actions of an evil individual is an evil act unto itself.

16 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Yes, because I fear the slippery slope of tyranny has higher costs for future generations.  Also because punishing good people for the actions of an evil individual is an evil act unto itself.

We are shooting our future generations dead in their classrooms. We should fear how many generations, bright minds we destroying. I do not see any good people getting punished, only a blood bath of dead innocent little ones. The Tyranny that I see ("cruel, unreasonable, or arbitrary use of power or control")  are the people with guns killing children in a cruel and unreasonable way.

Why don't you go look at a photo of your granddaughter when she was 8 years old, and look at a gun. Go right ahead and tell yourself. I would rather see my granddaughter die at 8 years old, than someone take away my right to hold this gun.

Everyone should look at the angelic faces of these beautiful innocent boys and girls! Look at their faces and read their names. They were real children,  not just a number count in yet another gun massacre. These little ones had hopes and futures. Their last minutes were of unimaginable fear and pain. NO CHILD should ever have to endure!! There surviving families lives destroyed forever!!

The faces of the victims all so beautiful :(

https://nypost.com/2022/05/25/texas-school-shooting-what-we-know-about-the-victims/

I am at a loss for words.  Sad....just sad.  We are the only western industrialized country with mass shootings on a scale like this.  More than one mass shooting per day in 2022.  Violence is not the answer.  I am sick of meaningless "Thoughts and prayers."

2 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

What tyranny?  Being told there is nothing that can be done to stop children from being shot and killed at school is tyranny.  Who precisely suggested punishing good people and who precisely are these "good people?"  You are ignoring the question.  What would you do to end school shootings?  Or is it just the parents' fault as Laura and Tucker claim?

12 hours ago, gr8owl said:

We certainly do not need substantially more guns than people and no other country comes close to that.    But, what might you think would fix the problem? Something has to.  We cannot allow children to be sent off to be killed just attending school.  I don't care what has to go, but this cannot be allowed to continue.

Banning guns is not the answer.  Guns are just the tool.

Could it possibly be our attention to verbal ‘micro aggressions’, trying to protect folks from being offended by someone else’s words, while at the same time condoning violence in our streets?  We ban individuals who call us names, even if it was decades ago, but praise those who riot & loot.  We have created sensitive little flowers who are not allowed to express their frustrations through language.  However our tolerance for lawless behavior  teaches them that violent outbursts are acceptable behavior.

How dysfunctional is that?

1 minute ago, Bit Banger said:

Banning guns is not the answer.  Guns are just the tool.

Could it possibly be our attention to verbal ‘micro aggressions’, trying to protect folks from being offended by someone else’s words, while at the same time condoning violence in our streets?  We ban individuals who call us names, even if it was decades ago, but praise those who riot & loot.  We have created sensitive little flowers who are not allowed to express their frustrations through language.  However our tolerance for lawless behavior  teaches them that violent outbursts are acceptable behavior.

How dysfunctional is that?

Did I say anything about banning guns?  No.  Did you answer the question?  No, unless your answer is there is nothing to do.

1 minute ago, gr8owl said:

Did I say anything about banning guns?  No.  Did you answer the question?  No, unless your answer is there is nothing to do.

I thought I was fairly clear.

1) Teach people that rough language and insults are part of life.  Get over it!

2) Crack down on lawless behavior in our public square.  Round up rioters and let them rot in jail for a few days.  Prosecute looters for vandalism & theft.

13 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

What tyranny?  Being told there is nothing that can be done to stop children from being shot and killed at school is tyranny.  Who precisely suggested punishing good people and who precisely are these "good people?"  You are ignoring the question.  What would you do to end school shootings?  Or is it just the parents' fault as Laura and Tucker claim?

‘Good people’ would be the tens of thousands of lawful gun owners who would have their rights and property confiscated because a few individuals did something bad.  That’s like saying we should all surrender our cars & trucks or perhaps reinstitute the Prohibition because some drunk killed a family in an auto accident.

26 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

2) Crack down on lawless behavior in our public square.  Round up rioters and let them rot in jail for a few days.  Prosecute looters for vandalism & theft.

16 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

‘Good people’ would be the tens of thousands of lawful gun owners who would have their rights and property confiscated because a few individuals did something bad.  That’s like saying we should all surrender our cars & trucks or perhaps reinstitute the Prohibition because some drunk killed a family in an auto accident.

Again, who said anything about confiscating guns?  Straw man much?  So arresting rioters in the street - but not at the capital I assume - would stop a demented 18 year old with two AR 15's from slaughtering school kids?  Gun owners rights taken - again who said anything about?  How about the rights of parents to not have their children shot and killed for attending school?  One more time - what is your solution?  Yes, you have been clear so far.  Your solution is do nothing because your "right" to own a gun is more important that a child's right to live.  Own it, but stop with the deflection to confiscating guns and rioters in the streets.

17 hours ago, BadBoy said:

I think it's really admirable that so many children give their lives to protect the unlimited and unrestricted right to bear arms.

I read this with {sarcasm} font.

13 hours ago, gr8owl said:

We certainly do not need substantially more guns than people and no other country comes close to that.    …

Many posit that the right to bear arms is less valuable than our right to practice our religion, or our right to due process.  I consider it more valuable as it protects these rights.

Yes, school shootings are a tragedy.  But never let a good crisis go to waste, especially in an election year.

Edited by Bit Banger

25 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Many posit that the right to bear arms is less valuable than our right to practice our religion, or our right to due process.  I consider it more valuable as it protects these rights.

Yes, school shootings are a tragedy.  But never let a good crisis go to waste, especially in an election year.

Got it.  Your guns, without any restriction, are more important than children.  It is the without any restriction part that is unconscionable.

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

I do not agree with your opinion 1).

I do agree with your opinion 2)

This is why:

hypothetical Scenario  in response to 1). 

If I or any other person happens to insult you and use rough language for no aperent reason while you are armed with your gun, what will be your reaction?

Will you get over it and do nothing? You may be Avery strong willed person and just brushed off, unfortunately some may not, some may be angry with the world for no reason and just looking for a reason to unload their frustration or guns...

Just to be clear, I own guns, lot of them and I come from a country where there is tyranny, and the majority of its citizens own high caliber guns, there are more guns than the USA, (giving you some credit here) only law enforcement and military are allowed to use them legally, for citizens they are Iligal because the government banned them since the revolution( look it up 1920)... Tyranny has nothing to do with citizens not having guns to protect the country or property it has to do with what king of "coolaid" you are drinking in your life...

My solution to the gun violence is education, understanding wat these criminals where thinking before during and after the fact, does anyone have ever stop and ask a violent teenager how he feels, why he acts like that?

Guns are tool, unfortunately is not being used properly. Any tool can be a weapon in wrong hands...

"

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

Just think though: when they come for your guns(they’re not) you can have a big shootout, take some of those tyrants with you, and they can pry your gun from your cold lifeless hand and you can be a big 2A hero. Good luck with that…

Gun control is not the answer. Look at Chicago. Highest murder rate in the country with the strictest gun laws.. "If you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns"           I think more attention to mental health awareness would be a good place to start. Most of these nutcases have to be putting up red flags all over the place and it is being ignored or people just don't care until it's too late. 

22 minutes ago, Newoldbull said:

Gun control is not the answer. Look at Chicago. Highest murder rate in the country with the strictest gun laws.. "If you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns"           I think more attention to mental health awareness would be a good place to start. Most of these nutcases have to be putting up red flags all over the place and it is being ignored or people just don't care until it's too late. 

Red flags to deny someone a gun purchase? Sounds like gun control to me!

How many of these cases has there been red flags that were revealed later on that might make you think that somebody was a little unstable. You would think people around them would pick up on it and try to get them help. Not every case but in our fast paced world that we live in sometimes people just shrug it off and ignore it. I guess you just never dream something as horrible as this would happen. 

19 minutes ago, Newoldbull said:

How many of these cases has there been red flags that were revealed later on that might make you think that somebody was a little unstable. You would think people around them would pick up on it and try to get them help. Not every case but in our fast paced world that we live in sometimes people just shrug it off and ignore it. I guess you just never dream something as horrible as this would happen. 

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/15/1099008586/mass-shootings-us-2022-tally-number
Over 200 in the US this year and it’s not even half over. Do you really think we have more mentally ill people than the rest of the civilized world? Nope, but we do have more guns.

I

27 minutes ago, MrReindeer-9515 said:

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/15/1099008586/mass-shootings-us-2022-tally-number
Over 200 in the US this year and it’s not even half over. Do you really think we have more mentally ill people than the rest of the civilized world? Nope, but we do have more guns.

So I'd like to hear your solution. You don't seem to think trying to prevent some of this insanity from happening by trying to head it off before it happens is a good idea.  I think there are some restrictions that make sense like convicted felons prohibited from buying a gun. If you've been diagnosed with a mental health condition that makes you a danger to yourself or society you shouldn't be able to purchase a firearm. But taking away law abiding  citizens right to own guns is heading down a path that we don't want to go.                                         

5 hours ago, gr8owl said:

Got it.  Your guns, without any restriction, are more important than children.  It is the without any restriction part that is unconscionable.

Do you mean restrictions like:

- Church services will only be held on Saturday and may not be any longer than 45 minutes.

- You may only post on social media if your text has been approved by the Ministry of Truth.

- States may only create laws regarding property sales.

What part of “… shall not be infringed.” was unclear?

6 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:.

… What part of “… shall not be infringed.” was unclear?

You are welcome to call a Constitutional Convention or solicit your legislators for and amendment to the 2nd, but until you do 2A is the law of the land.

10 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

- Church services will only be held on Saturday and may not be any longer than 45 minutes.

- You may only post on social media if your text has been approved by the Ministry of Truth.

I guess it was “a well regulated militia” that he got stuck on maybe?

28 minutes ago, Newoldbull said:

I

So I'd like to hear your solution. You don't seem to think trying to prevent some of this insanity from happening by trying to head it off before it happens is a good idea.  I think there are some restrictions that make sense like convicted felons prohibited from buying a gun. If you've been diagnosed with a mental health condition that makes you a danger to yourself or society you shouldn't be able to purchase a firearm. But taking away law abiding  citizens right to own guns is heading down a path that we don't want to go.                                         

You’re not going to like it…

34 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Gee a whole platoon of straw men.  Courts have ruled on multiple occasions that laws restricting possession or ownership with a logical nexus to public safety are allowed.  That is how you get requirements for concealed carry permits, no guns for those convicted of domestic violence, no guns for convicted felon, etc. plus red flag laws and background checks.  Do you even know what infringed means??  That the right will not "be broken" - in other words done away with.  It does NOT mean it cannot be regulated.  The kangaroo supreme court we presently have may side with your position that it means anyone, anytime without restriction is guaranteed the right to have any damn weapon they want.  If a court were to so rule, then hell yes, time to repeal the whole damn thing and replace it with something that is not nonsense.

31 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

You are welcome to call a Constitutional Convention or solicit your legislators for and amendment to the 2nd, but until you do 2A is the law of the land.

No kidding.  Thanks Captain Obvious.

35 minutes ago, MrReindeer-9515 said:

I guess it was “a well regulated militia” that he got stuck on maybe?

Nope.  I just know the meaning of the word "infringed" especially in a legal context.

Thank you Caressa for posting your thoughts on this.   The fact is we have more guns than any developed country.  Almost one per person.  There have been numerous studies done showing we have the highest rate of gun mortalities of any country.   The list has become so long that the narratives don't mention the early ones like Columbine and the Aurora theater.   Our regulations are piecemeal and have so many loopholes that if you can't get a gun in Chicago go to another nearby state. And that's not even considering the online sales.  We all know here, that it's quite easy to complete illegal transactions electronically. 

There are quite a few countries with full blown regulations that result in fewer deaths from guns.  Japan, British Isles just to name a few.  I haven't heard anyone say those countries are dictatorships.  And what is that logic really?  That you're going to forestall a police state by standing in your window and shooting at the armored vehicles looking to subdue the population? Then what happens when they bring the tanks or the F-16s. Good luck with that logic.  The best defense against a police state is an informed populace who VOTES and refuses to take the fiction of demagogues seriously.

We in Colorado have our share of tragedy and it seems like on a weekly basis, we see new hegemony.  Mostly done by mentally whacked out individuals but if you follow the serious news, that population is growing and we have a wide number of elected officials(mostly Republicans) who can't seem to grasp and respond to their duty to keep the population safe.  We've come a long way from 1776 and what we are witnessing now is not anything envisioned by the framers of our constitution.

We have to move forward and take this serious problem in hand or the violence and grief that results will eventually result in greater societal breakdowns and everyone will start to believe they have to be prepared for the battle at the OK Corral.  Maybe all this is our inheritance from the genocide waged against the native peoples who lived on this land before the "settlers" showed up and wiped them out.  Let alone the institutionionalization of slavery that made us have to fight a civil war to acknowledge people of African heritage merited the same human rights as the rest of us.  Maybe Michael Moore was right about our karma and what faces us.  At this time, we need to take this in hand and do what we can to stop the gratuitous violence raining down on us.

B