Celeste

Ladies, what do you put on your resume ?

14 posts in this topic

I’m a reluctantly retired ( because of marriage) provider that worked in the community for years. This was my primary job through my early twenties to early thirties and I absolutely loved it!  Now, I’m looking to get back into the workforce but need to account for the time lost. My only jobs prior were in restaurants. I was thinking of listing the time as a massage therapist, although I clearly don’t have that credential or school history. Not sure basic sales jobs etc would check? I would rather have job history than list that I took time off for motherhood etc. 

Any feedback or ideas are much appreciated 🙏

Thank you! 
~C 

Edited by Celeste

7 hours ago, Caressa Duval said:

IMO I would stick with, I took the time to raise my family.   It does not raise eyebrows, or any red flags.  If you want to build something that can be documented, maybe volunteer at your favorite cause. It is great way to build a resume.  Being a parent is a respectable full time job! More people should have the opportunity to be there for their children, if they can afford to stay home.

14 Jobs of a Mother

1. Housekeeper – No explanation necessary for this one, right, Mamas?
  2. Nurse – Every mom has an unlimited supply of band-aids and boo-boo kisses.
  3. Teacher – A mother is a child’s first educator.
  4. Journalist – Someone has to keep up with the baby books and memory keeping.
  5. Party Planner – Mom is bound to plan a Birthday or holiday party or two… or twenty.
  6. Hostess – A mom’s often the one hosting those playdates, right?
  7. Personal Shopper – Sometimes I wish I could send the kids to the store themselves, but no. Not a good idea.
  8. Stylist – Well, if you care if your kids’ clothes match anyway. (I’m not judging if you don’t!)
  9. Spiritual Adviser – No matter which religion or spiritual direction, mom often gives spiritual direction.
  10. Psychiatrist – Mom might not really understand the psychology behind a 2 year olds’ tantrums (who does?!), but she sure tries.
  11. Taxi Driver – Who drives the kids from school to lessons to playdates?  Mom does!
  12. Secretary – Scheduling doctors’ appointments and keeping track of school events is all in a mom’s day’s work.
  13. Photographer – I don’t know any mom who hasn’t become very familiar with her camera or camera phone.
  14. Chef – Usually mom plans and cooks meals for the whole crew.

Thank you, I really appreciate this insight! 

21 hours ago, Caressa Duval said:

IMO I would stick with, I took the time to raise my family.   It does not raise eyebrows, or any red flags.  If you want to build something that can be documented, maybe volunteer at your favorite cause. It is great way to build a resume.  Being a parent is a respectable full time job! More people should have the opportunity to be there for their children, if they can afford to stay home.

14 Jobs of a Mother

1. Housekeeper – No explanation necessary for this one, right, Mamas?
  2. Nurse – Every mom has an unlimited supply of band-aids and boo-boo kisses.
  3. Teacher – A mother is a child’s first educator.
  4. Journalist – Someone has to keep up with the baby books and memory keeping.
  5. Party Planner – Mom is bound to plan a Birthday or holiday party or two… or twenty.
  6. Hostess – A mom’s often the one hosting those playdates, right?
  7. Personal Shopper – Sometimes I wish I could send the kids to the store themselves, but no. Not a good idea.
  8. Stylist – Well, if you care if your kids’ clothes match anyway. (I’m not judging if you don’t!)
  9. Spiritual Adviser – No matter which religion or spiritual direction, mom often gives spiritual direction.
  10. Psychiatrist – Mom might not really understand the psychology behind a 2 year olds’ tantrums (who does?!), but she sure tries.
  11. Taxi Driver – Who drives the kids from school to lessons to playdates?  Mom does!
  12. Secretary – Scheduling doctors’ appointments and keeping track of school events is all in a mom’s day’s work.
  13. Photographer – I don’t know any mom who hasn’t become very familiar with her camera or camera phone.
  14. Chef – Usually mom plans and cooks meals for the whole crew.

I would add:  Project Manager; Mediation services; Change consultant; and I'm sure a few others....

Self employed consultant 

independent contractor. Change management 

Personal stylist

Image consultant

personal assistant 

One of the jobs I do amongst many at work is interviewing, hiring and firing.

I would recommend that you simply account for the time as not working to raise your family.

Most companies look back 10-15 years, so without knowing your age, you may not have to list times that you don't want to account for.

no employer should balk at any human being who left the work force to raise a family...if they do....fuck em ....walk away and let karma take care of the rest...

Thanks everyone. I haven’t had a full time job since I retired in 2018, I’m 33 now. Oh my gosh…it’s been so long already! I miss the hobby! 

Once graduating, I connected w/a (professional) career coach.
For a fee, she nicely constructed my resume/linkedin to suit me. 
Once she finished, I tweaked my resume and my linkedin profile to my tune and included in place for my years in the hobby, I happily added on my resume: Life Coach.  
But you can word play the 'gaps' by carefully placing your hobby time on your resume as you like.

Mindset Coach
Life Strategist
Personal Mentor
Empowerment Coach
Wellness Professional etc., etc.

Terminology can be sensitive...
So be sure if ever going in for an interview, you've perfected your terminology based on the skills you've put on your resume beforehand,
and be sure to mention, you have excellent adaptability skills to fit right in w/whatever company you're applying/interviewing with.

GL

Edited by Seeking ~P-1761

On 1/16/2022 at 10:37 PM, Celeste said:

Thanks everyone. I haven’t had a full time job since I retired in 2018, I’m 33 now. Oh my gosh…it’s been so long already! I miss the hobby! 

Although we've never met, I have no doubt, the hobby misses you too. :rolleyes:

The stay at home mom is best, it is honest and it isn't like you would be the only woman who has done it.

Another choice would be something self employed. Like house cleaning. Most cleaners are paid cash. They work at their own pace.  If asked for a reference, I am sure a friend could do that.