Danielle Rae

RIP OFF/Scammer Posing as Me

22 posts in this topic

I have been on a break from the hobby since March and just recently logged back on here for the first time in many months.   To my dismay, I learned that several of the gents have been ripped off by a person who has been posing as me and using my old phone number,  I texted the number myself to see what this person is doing and they responded pretending to be me and even sent me a picture of myself LOL.  They proceeded to request that I pre-pay for the service via a $400 Paypal payment.  The Paypal account is registered to a man who lives in MO.  I reported the account to to Paypal and told the person to stop posing as me and ripping people off but that is really all I can do at this point.  Just please be aware that this is no longer my number 720-574-5988, it's NOT me and you should NOT send any monies to this person as you will be getting ripped off.  Thanks. 

My question in general is; How can an individual capture a phone number that has been given up?

11 hours ago, Kaduk said:

My question in general is; How can an individual capture a phone number that has been give up?

I do know phone companies recycle numbers. With some companies when you buy and set up a new phone you can either get a random number or give them an old one that could be "captured".

3 hours ago, gnarley_boy12 said:

I do know phone companies recycle numbers. With some companies when you buy and set up a new phone you can either get a random number or give them an old one that could be "captured".

Basically an individual would need to know that the old number was up for grabs. It seems like there is a need for a different protocol in place to protect the old number. From my understanding an old number goes dormant for a time period before its recycled by the company. That would make sense as to separate the previous owner and give that owner time to update  info to others..... 

How old is the old number?  I've heard that numbers have to be at least 6 months old before they can be recycled with someone else.

I also know that you can request a specific number and if it is available, that request will be granted.  But again, the telephone company protocol for recycling numbers will be in place.

Actually with some phone vendors you can request a number if it is available. You can also think of it as vanity plate for a car. If it is available they may give it to you but you will pay extra. The other way is if you want to have a word or name that is spelled out with a phone number you can request that. 

Edited by ultraf20

On 10/28/2020 at 10:36 AM, ilovewomen said:

How old is the old number?  I've heard that numbers have to be at least 6 months old before they can be recycled with someone else.

I also know that you can request a specific number and if it is available, that request will be granted.  But again, the telephone company protocol for recycling numbers will be in place.

She last posted in april

On 10/28/2020 at 10:24 AM, Kaduk said:

Basically an individual would need to know that the old number was up for grabs. It seems like there is a need for a different protocol in place to protect the old number. From my understanding an old number goes dormant for a time period before its recycled by the company. That would make sense as to separate the previous owner and give that owner time to update  info to others..... 

This number was a "TextNow" number  TextNow is a free text app that actually gives you a working phone number.  If you don't use the number for 30 days, it is "recycled."     This person was assigned my old number and I assume he was receiving multiple texts from clients who thought they were contacting me...when he came up with the scam to pretend to be me and request "pre-payment" for services.  Some people are just not good people.  

What a twat. Can I say that here? I feel for the guys expecting your lovely self and getting ripped off by some slovenly ijit. 

I see Domain Name: DANIELLERAEDENVER.COM is "parked" Name Server: ns1.ipage-default.domainparkingserver.net  

Hope this ijit doesn't get control of that too...

This person probably did a simple google search, found the service provider, and posed as Miss Rae, and requested reconnecting service...  just a thought...

On 11/9/2020 at 7:02 AM, Student said:

So, Danielle, which number is your current one?

Hello.  If I recall the rules correctly, I am not permitted to post that info here on the forum but you can search my profile and find the information you are looking for.  :)

Well, he is apparently still "at it" based upon the recent "rip-off" review posted for me.  I have not taken any appointments/seen any clients since last March.  I wish there was a way to get that old number out of this person's control but that is not possible as far as I know.  It's a text now app.  They recycle those numbers and as long as this person continues to successfully rip people off by pretending to be me and requesting "pre-payment/deposits", I don't see this ending anytime soon.  I had that number for several years and obviously many guys still think it is my number....   I don'[t know what to do at this point.  Ideas??

Per TextNow support, you can't get you old number back. Make sure old number was not used for verification or 2 factor authentication for your other services; email, web hosting, etc. Ask a lawyer, detective, google search to find phone number owner. Post a few ads on various sites advertising your new number

11 minutes ago, JungleGeorge said:

Per TextNow support, you can't get you old number back. Make sure old number was not used for verification or 2 factor authentication for your other services; email, web hosting, etc. Ask a lawyer, detective, google search to find phone number owner. Post a few ads on various sites advertising your new number

Thanks Jungle George - unfortunately,  I'm not currently providing services so I'm not posting ads anywhere.  But I do plan on returning soon - I just hope this idiot (and all the negative reviews he instigates in my name) doesn't cause me too many problems when I do return.  

so, just looked up the textnow terms of service, this is part of section 20  "You may not use the Services for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by this Agreement or that otherwise harms TextNow, its affiliates, its App Providers or customers." let's gather up all the ads this person is posting and send them to textnow. if enough people complain to them they should shut that down. same with paypal, complain to paypal about their service being used for illegal activities.

I was also, almost, scammed by whoever was behind the number (720) 574-5988 but I would not prepay.. not sure who has this number now but I hope they get what’s coming. 

I don't think he is actually "posting ads" but rather clients are texting him directly (thinking that they are texting me).  I did report him to Paypal but they didn't do anything besides tell me that I could "block" his payment requests.   I tried to reach the support people on the TextNow app but unfortunately, it only brings you to a chat bot that spits out automated responses to your questions.  I could not figure out how to actually get in contact with a human being.   It is so frustrating...

Thank you JungleGeorge!  I will certainly give it a shot and send an email to them!  

Sorry to hear someones got your number.  I hear that with Verison you can get online and change a number every day, looking for a specific number that is available.  It is very low of that person to use a provider's number not to mention pictures. Hope you are doing well through all this. Let us all know when you will be returning, especially me :)  You have good reviews.