Prayforrain

Yes, all lives matter, but...

30 posts in this topic

Emphasizing the importance of any group of people based on their skin color is racist behavior.

7 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Emphasizing the importance of any group of people based on their skin color is racist behavior.

I would counter with: Do you think black humans are treated equally in all areas of the United States? Is there still discrimination for work, housing, dining, etc. etc?

Until EVERYONE is treated equally by ALL other humans, we will need affirmative action types of programs.

Either that, or every black women has children with a white man, and every black man has babies with a white woman. Eventually, we'll all be the same color! I'd love that!

Agreed. This is the exact reason why the blm movement is happening.  White people have been emphasizing their importance over others for far too long.

2 hours ago, pfunk said:

I would counter with: Do you think black humans are treated equally in all areas of the United States? Is there still discrimination for work, housing, dining, etc. etc?

Until EVERYONE is treated equally by ALL other humans, we will need affirmative action types of programs.

Either that, or every black women has children with a white man, and every black man has babies with a white woman. Eventually, we'll all be the same color! I'd love that!

Are black people treated equally everywhere?  No

Are white people treated equally everywhere? No

Are Hispanic people treated equally everywhere? No

I'm white and I've been a victim of racism, just nobody cares about it.

Racism is not just a white person problem, racism exists in many forms and let's be real about it, is it going away anytime soon? No

I have a couple of great friends who happen to be black and I could care less about their color only their character.

Is racism worse today than it was 20yrs ago? No

30 years ago? No

40 years ago? No

Awareness for EVERYONE is a good thing but rioting businesses and burning down buildings will not gain sympathy for their cause.

Will a rose by any other name smell as sweet?

Will racism by any other name (affirmative action) still smell as foul?

In the public space, the most racist individuals I can think of are Rev. Sharpton & Farrakhan.

Yes, there are racist individuals in all colors & stripes.  But we have made great strides in this country in my lifetime. (I remember colored drinking fountains & motels in the South.).

Yes, we will always have a ways to go, and there will always be individual holdouts.  Riots & looting just set the cause back by reinforcing shameful stereotypes.  Efforts to erase history by destroying monuments just creates more ignorance.  And judging people of the past with the lens of today’s mores is an exercise in futility.

I find it more disturbing that you guys go straight to the “rioting and looting” and how that will “reinforce stereotypes” but completely overlook how we got to this point. If you judge the entire movement by the actions of a few individuals (when compared to the whole) do you apply that same logic to the police? If they have bad apples and somehow shouldn’t be judged as a collective then why not apply that same logic here?

It’s also comical that any of you would mention the riots and looting while forgetting how much you hated and despised the peaceful protests. You can’t have it both ways. 

Efforts to erase history? Get all the way the fuck out of here with that. No one is trying to erase history. The shit happened. Trust me, we know. It’s just absolutely ridiculous how much some of you try to celebrate or romanticize it. If you think it’s history and heritage, exactly what history and heritage are Black people supposed to get out of statues of slave masters and generals? What part of that history is supposed to be honored? If the confederacy in all its 4 years of existence deserves this much remembrance what Do you think several hundred years of slavery and its impact, to this day, on a group of people deserves? Why are we celebrating and honoring literal traitors that attempted to  and waged war against the government? And if you tell me it’s because they fought for something the believed in, thought the government was overstepping their bounds by telling them what they could and could not do that impacted their way of life but somehow overlook the tiny inconsequential fact those same people LITERALLY HAD SLAVES AND POSSESSED THEM LIKE PROPERTY AND MURDERED THEM INDISCRIMINATELY AND CONTROLLED EVERY ASPECT OF THOSE SLAVES’ LIVES then go ahead and don’t tell me that or how they should be remembered as anything more than racist pieces of shit. If you think the government was a tyranny then what were slave owners?

The fact that some of you remember segregation but fail to understand or see why people are pissed to this day is astounding. It’s as though people have to be beat and killed in the streets, in their cars, in their homes, in broad daylight on camera by the police or have cops, city officials, the president, company presidents, team owners, and a heaping of random individuals literally telling what they think for you to somehow believe it’s untrue! Oh wait...Also remember, the riots are nothing new. Again, those of you alive during the time of segregation should remember King addressing it, condoning it, and even attempting to explain why things devolve into it. Also if you remember the times of segregation remember how those peaceful protests were handled and viewed by white Americans.. 

And really, the most racist individuals you can think of are black...not the president and some of his cabinet? Not David Duke who still somehow is a thing. Not those racist fucks that marched through campuses you defended because they had permits? Not the bulk of Fox News pundits? (I can name them all if you’d like.) But a couple of black dudes are the most racist individuals you can think of in the public space off the top of your head? 

And lastly, because I know it’s going to come up at some point if this conversation goes on long enough, don’t bring up Chicago or black on black crime. It’s a diversionary tactic that too is old and tiresome and has dick all to do with the point. If you should feel the urge to then instead  please have an honest discussion on the “lone white wolves” that have made malls, churches, concerts, office buildings, college campuses, elementary schools, high schools, military bases, synagogues, peaceful protests, banks, fast food restaurants, the post office, bars, yoga studios (I think you get the point) the topic of discussion instead. Since racists issues aren’t as bad as people make them out to be I’m certain you’ll have no issue having an in-depth conversation regarding those individuals.  So start with those “lone wolves” and leave it with those “lone wolves” should you decide to discuss any other violence in this country. 

Oh one more thing since “I have a couple of black friends” inevitably made its way into the fray..............LOL!!!!!!!!

Jodoe,

Such anger, good for you!  But we must look at the big picture and not just a slice of it here and there.  "disturbing that you guys go straight to the rioting and looting” 
Hmm, I wonder why?  Because it's going on day after day and not by just a handful of people!
Judge actions of a few individuals (when compared to the whole) do you apply that same logic to the police?
Absolutely, a bad cop deserves whatever they get just like anyone else, but let's remember some facts also, 19 white men were killed by police in 2019 and 9 black men, but we didn't have any protests or burning of cop cars for those white guys killed, some were unjustified...Why?
Efforts to erase history? Get all the way the fuck out of here with that. No one is trying to erase history..
REALLY?  BS.... Tearing down of any monument that you disagree with the renaming of any building of a person from our past who lived in a completely different era is not erasing history?  Sorry but that is!
I can't change anything my father or his father might have said or did so why do we think we need to go back and erase anything that isn't the norm for today.  How about the gay rights movement, where was that 50 years ago, look where we are today.
Times change, they always have and always will with each passing generation new norms will keep changing.  As I said before there will always be some form of racism on both sides but hopefully it will continue to get better and better with each passing year. Until both sides work together to solve problems, pointing the finger at the other will just make that side dig in their heels deeper.  
Another little fact, our current President has done more for the black communities than the last 3 combined!
But I'm sure you'll argue with that...
Have a great day!

1 hour ago, johnnybgood said:

Another little fact, our current President has done more for the black communities than the last 3 combined!

When you have a chance, please, give us some details regarding what Donald Trump has done for black communities. Please!

21 minutes ago, pfunk said:

When you have a chance, please, give us some details regarding what Donald Trump has done for black communities. Please!

What did Obama do us us white communities? Trump has done much more than Obama has ever done, whether you like him or hate him. It’s true!!

12 minutes ago, pfunk said:

Since inauguration,  through 2019 the U.S. economy has created a whopping 1,017,000 new jobs for African Americans...

He's eliminating job-killing regulations and cutting taxes for the middle class, he has given millions of African Americans a chance to thrive in a strong and growing economy...

national black unemployment rate is at an all-time low of 5.5 percent. Unemployment for black women is even lower, at just 4.4 percent...

“Opportunity Zones”  has pumped in $100 billion of new private investment in communities that need it most....

He committed to reforming the criminal justice system. By eliminating the sentencing disparities caused by the horrendous Clinton-era crime bill, which disproportionately affected African Americans, The FIRST STEP Act also included significant reforms to address recidivism...

Signed a $360 million grant to support Historically Black Colleges and Universities last year — by far the most that any president has ever appropriated for HBCUs. Even America’s first black president, Barack Obama, never allocated that much money to HBCUs....

I'll keep looking for you!

2 hours ago, johnnybgood said:

Jodoe,

, but let's remember some facts also, 19 white men were killed by police in 2019 and 9 black men, but we didn't have any protests or burning of cop cars for those white guys killed, some were unjustified...Why?

Source?  Link?  Location (obviously not nationwide - this year alone there have been 4 in just Pueblo!!)  By all means, let's use actual reliable facts.  BTW you lose ALL credibility repeating the ludicrous claim that the Orange Plague has done more for blacks "than the last three presidents (at east you reined it back from HIS claim of more than any president ever, perhaps even Lincoln)

Continued......

The rate of job growth per month for blacks under Trump has so far been 40 percent higher than the monthly average under ‎Obama. Trump has averaged nearly 30,000 new black jobs per month.

Another issue that is critically important to black and Hispanic economic progress is good schools. Trump is advancing the idea of school choice so that every child can attend a quality school, public or private.  Trump wants to increase by tenfold the number of black children who benefit from these vouchers and scholarships, but the house keeps it from being voted on.

Trump also wants more infrastructure spending, more energy jobs and more apprenticeship programs so our youth have access to better jobs and better training. Disproportionately, blacks and other minorities will benefit from these programs, because fewer have the financial capability to go to a four-year college.  But he's the racist!

How do you fix a decades even centuries long problem permeating all of society all at once?  You don't!  Recall the old saw "How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time!"  So you fix one glaring problem at a time till you run out of problems.  The Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act and so many others were single steps in the right direction, but just steps.  Right now what any objective person that actually watches video of numerous incidents cannot deny is that we have a police problem.  (Unless you think the George Floyd event was anything other than blatant murder, period.)  Saying it is OK to needlessly and pointlessly kill a few black dudes because after all they kill white and brown dudes too is so fucking ludicrous it defies belief.  Eliminate qualified immunity and police unions and establish truly independent review entity to review deadly force incidents (NOT the sheriff in same county, or DA, or other members of the local fraternity) and we will make significant progress to fixing it for everyone.  Then tackle the rest of the problems one at a time and hopefully more expeditiously than we have a habit of doing.

JoeDoe, where to begin?

I’ll start with ‘riots and looting’. I have no objection to peaceful protests, though I do draw the line at sit-ins which block lawful access to another’s property.  But perhaps the most important remark is judging all by the actions of a few.  As you say, that saw cuts both ways.  Why judge and punish all whites, or all police, for the actions of a few?

Prominent figures - The likes of David Duke or George Wallace have not been in the news for almost 30 years or more.  And yet the Rev. Al seems to show up every time there’s a potential for unrest.

While folks are tearing down the statues of Civil War figures, they often forget that before the war these men were leaders in society or fought with distinction in prior conflicts.  Why is ‘the mob’ also attacking those who led the Union side?  Or those who started us on the path of ‘all men are created equal’, who believed that our destinies were not based on the circumstances of our birth, who founded a society on meritocracy.

Blacks do not hold any distinction of oppression in society.  Remember the days of “{Irish | Italian | Polish | etc.} need not apply!”  As a gaijin I have experienced the doors slammed in my face.  As a ‘white male’ I have both witnessed and experienced the discrimination of Affirmative Action.  And let us not forget the blot on American history of Japanese internment during WW2.

As for ‘lone wolves’, IMHO they are the result of defunding mental health care, closing mental institutions, and releasing these individuals back into society.

American society is fluid, progressing toward our goals of equality. We obviously have different views, based on the different experiences of our lives, yet here we are discussing the issues w/o resorting to name calling and uncivilized behavior.  That is progress!

9 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

How do you fix a decades even centuries long problem permeating all of society all at once?  You don't!  Recall the old saw "How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time!"  ...

Eliminate qualified immunity and police unions and establish truly independent review entity to review deadly force incidents 

I would agree that we need to modify ‘qualified immunity’, but not eliminate it.  By asking police to enforce our laws we give them a different standard of conduct.  They sometimes need force, even deadly force, in the performance of their duties.  Independent review is perhaps the best answer, but with the understanding that if we expect police to stand down and walk away from conflict our laws become meaningless.  

11 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

JoeDoe, where to begin?

I’ll start with ‘riots and looting’. I have no objection to peaceful protests, though I do draw the line at sit-ins which block lawful access to another’s property.  But perhaps the most important remark is judging all by the actions of a few.  As you say, that saw cuts both ways.  Why judge and punish all whites, or all police, for the actions of a few? Have you been at any protests?  I can only speak for ones I am familiar with.  With exception of one night and the actions of very few the protests in Springs were completely peaceful UNTIL the police started the chaos and violence with flash bangs, tear gas, rubber bullets, etc. to disperse what they declared "unlawful gatherings" even though there was no curfew in place, only roads the POLICE had barricaded were being blocked, and no violence was taking place. etc.  Where are all those crying about constitutional rights relative to corona but ignoring actual violations of those rights - you know to assemble at to petition their government for redress of grievances?  What whites are being punished btw (other than those unfortunate enough to get on wrong side of cops!)

Prominent figures - The likes of David Duke or George Wallace have not been in the news for almost 30 years or more.  And yet the Rev. Al seems to show up every time there’s a potential for unrest. How quickly you forget last years display in Carolina, the fact that Duke very publicly with plenty of coverage endorsed the Orange Plague in 2016 (and the OP did NOT disavow the endorsement!!).  And confederate flag flyovers and demonstrators outside NASCAR event.  Yes, Rev Al is a pathetic joke, but that does not make the real issues go away either.

While folks are tearing down the statues of Civil War figures, they often forget that before the war these men were leaders in society or fought with distinction in prior conflicts.  Why is ‘the mob’ also attacking those who led the Union side?  Or those who started us on the path of ‘all men are created equal’, who believed that our destinies were not based on the circumstances of our birth, who founded a society on meritocracy. This should be an ongoing rational discussion and NOT be determined by a group of people (lets make it more incendiary by saying "rioters, mobs").  I suspect the vast majority should come down, but it should be via public process and consensus (gasp!!) And the real point is why were all these statues put up to begin with?  Most went up decades after the civil war and were indeed to glorify a bunch of racist traitors.  It is not ignoring history to take some down, it is correcting shit that should have never happened!

Blacks do not hold any distinction of oppression in society.  Remember the days of “{Irish | Italian | Polish | etc.} need not apply!”  As a gaijin I have experienced the doors slammed in my face.  As a ‘white male’ I have both witnessed and experienced the discrimination of Affirmative Action.  And let us not forget the blot on American history of Japanese internment during WW2.  Really?  How many other races were legally and with institutional backing and blessing submitted to slavery and considered to be property and then after "freed" subjected to Jim Crow, etc.  Affirmative action vs. slavery?  Please!

As for ‘lone wolves’, IMHO they are the result of defunding mental health care, closing mental institutions, and releasing these individuals back into society. With most of the money taken from those things going into the police and fire departments.  When local govenments are spending a third to a half of their entire budgets on police and jails, something is horribly wrong.  The rational among those saying "defund the police" mean moving those funds back to where they were taken from, NOT eliminating the police.  (Yeah, I know a very few spew that making it convenient for the law and order contingent to ignore the actual problem)

American society is fluid, progressing toward our goals of equality. We obviously have different views, based on the different experiences of our lives, yet here we are discussing the issues w/o resorting to name calling and uncivilized behavior.  That is progress! Yes, progress continues despite the concerted foot dragging efforts of many.  The progress made since 50's has been significant and should not be overlooked.  But 60 years later some of the problems are still being ignored.  The fact that I have heard the same problems expressed and the same excuses rolled out for 60 years is frankly depressing.  The pace of change needs to quicken.

25 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

I would agree that we need to modify ‘qualified immunity’, but not eliminate it.  By asking police to enforce our laws we give them a different standard of conduct.  They sometimes need force, even deadly force, in the performance of their duties.  Independent review is perhaps the best answer, but with the understanding that if we expect police to stand down and walk away from conflict our laws become meaningless.  

All government employees in Colorado have immunity from liability and suit for actions taken in the performance of their official duties UNLESS willful negligence can be shown.  The "qualified immunity" for police goes way beyond that general immunity and in practice makes it virtually impossible to find police guilty of anything.  Add the fact it is their brothers in another local le agency that reviews incidents and throw in a union and in practice police can do pretty much whatever the hell they want with impunity.  Asking them to enforce laws - yes, that is their job.  Shooting fleeing teenagers (Devon Bailey) in the back and pressing knees into necks till death occurs (George Floyd)  - I do NOT recall asking them to do any of that shit.  It is wrong, plain and simple.  Trying to justify it by how hard their jobs are and all the other bs is to simply endorse and support those actions.  And who the hell said anything about stand down and walk away??????

Minneapolis?  A bad situation. I agree that the cop should be on charges, probably manslaughter.  I think ‘intent’ will be difficult to prove.

Atlanta?  A very different situation.  At what point are police expected to stand down?  When they are resisted trying to cuff a drunk driver?  After a tussle?  When their equipment has been stolen from them? Fired at them? When their prisoner flees?  At some point we need to acknowledge that the drunk had a significant hand in escalating the situation.

Gr8owl: “ Have you been at any protests? 

Short answer - No! I was out-of-state and traveling.  Not much activity on the *87 corridors.

Long answer - I’m not likely to attend and add to the chaos.  I learned that lesson in Lincoln Park, Chicago, Summer of ‘68.

Edited by Bit Banger

15 hours ago, pfunk said:

Even 2Big!! :unsure:

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

Gr8owl: “ Have you been at any protests?

Long answer - I’m not likely to attend and add to the chaos. ...

I also learned this lesson at Ft. Devins in ‘69 when the “peaceful” Boston students came to visit.  When you’re told to disperse the crowd, you don’t stop to separate the protesters from the spectators.

3 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Minneapolis?  A bad situation. I agree that the cop should be on charges, probably manslaughter.  I think ‘intent’ will be difficult to prove.

Atlanta?  A very different situation.  At what point are police expected to stand down?  When they are resisted trying to cuff a drunk driver?  After a tussle?  When their equipment has been stolen from them? Fired at them? When their prisoner flees?  At some point we need to acknowledge that the drunk had a significant hand in escalating the situation.

Just so I’m clear, and incredibly drunk guy that did infact take the officer’s taser, and ran away deserves to be shot in the back? While running away. Shot in the back. A drunk guy. So the sober, trained officers that should be in control of the situation suddenly feared for their life of a drunk guy running away with a less than lethal weapon. I’m not arguing he didn’t escalate. I’m just trying to understand when you say “yeah he deserved to die.” At some point we need to acknowledge how quick everyone is to say someone deserves to die for some petty shit. And for the record the point of contention is that he was shot in the back. 

Going back to your earlier comments I don’t have anything to add other than affirmative action was created for white women and they are still the primary beneficiaries of it. Second, you keep reminding us of your racial gaijin moment in Japan decades ago which seemingly had some lasting impact on you. Would you like for me educate on how that’s different than say my grandfather returning home after fighting in WWII after fighting for this country? Or what my mom and her siblings went through in this country? Or what I continually experience in this country? I don’t think I need to explain that difference but please let me know if it’s required to let you know why that sliver of an instance you were exposed to in Japan is marginally different than generations of issues in America.

Lastly, those statues. You’re right! No one would ever know anything about our history, which is studied mainly through statues! What will we ever do without those statues‽ Completely forget where we came from because those statues are the only links we have even though they were mostly erected in the early 1900s, 50s, and 60s during times of civil unrest. But man, they truly connect us to our past! 

@gr8owl thanks for stepping in and filling in the gaps.

8 hours ago, gr8owl said:

Source?  Link?  Location (obviously not nationwide - this year alone there have been 4 in just Pueblo!!)  By all means, let's use actual reliable facts.  BTW you lose ALL credibility repeating the ludicrous claim that the Orange Plague has done more for blacks "than the last three presidents (at east you reined it back from HIS claim of more than any president ever, perhaps even Lincoln)

Since there was no response relative to where the quoted numbers came from, here are a couple links for real numbers from a couple different sources.  Please note the following:

• numbers reflect SHOOTINGS by police and leave out choke holds, suffocation, etc. i.e. tip of iceberg
  • In 2019 of the 1098 total 264 were black or 24% compared to blacks being 13% of the population
  • the graph of rates of police killings in "wealthy" countries CLEARLY show the US has a far greater rate than any other free wealthy country (rates are not really available in most others)

The actual numbers show clearly that we have a policing problem  AND that it affects the black population at a rate almost double their proportional population.  I have given up trying to convince certain factions of any opinion not spoon fed to them by the right wing fringe, however, all I ask of anyone is to please make your decisions and opinions based upon FACTS (can't help it - engineer - driven by data not bullshit) not some political bullshit or resulting from drinking orange Kool Aid.  

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/2020/06/05/policekillings/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/protests-spread-over-police-shootings-police-promised-reforms-every-year-they-still-shoot-nearly-1000-people/2020/06/08/5c204f0c-a67c-11ea-b473-04905b1af82b_story.html

And speaking of facts and close to home.  Attached is a video of the entire 911 call, police dispatch and body cam videos from both responding officers re: De'Von Bailey in Springs.  Warning ..... it is quite graphic.  Key points. Police received a call alleging caller had been assaulted, threatened with a gun and robbed of two dollars.  He could not give any better description than two black guys, one with an Afro and goatee and thin, one heavier.  Both wearing shorts, no other details relative to colors, logos etc.  But he claimed to know where both of them lived.  Total red flag there could be something else going on. (Indeed the surviving suspect was put on trial for the alleged assault.  The jury found conclusively that the initial report was a fraudulent call in retaliation for the caller getting his ass kicked in a fair and no weapons fight earlier in the day.) So, the cops arrive with the only description being two black guys wearing shorts and an alleged nick name of one.  Officers ask if Bailey goes by said nick name, he answers no.  There is no weapon in sight.  Officer one says we need to check you for guns.  Bailey runs from officers before they can check for weapon.  So at this point the cops have NOT made a positive identification of either, not seen a weapon, not collected ANY information to indicate these two guys were even the suspects (again from a fraudulent call with red flags) and yet when this 19 year old kid runs (no, he should not have run ..... anybody here make a foolish choice or two at 19???).  Immediately upon his starting to run (NO weapon detected) both pull their weapons and proceed to fire 8 shots at a fleeing teenager.  They miss with 5 out of eight in a residential area with a park "down range" endangering all the residents.  So in summary - cops had not even verified a crime or that they had the right two guys, the caller knew where they lived so they could catch up with suspect later and question all, cops had not yet verified he had any kind of weapon and immediately upon his running shot him in the back.  The claim was they thought he was attempting to pull a weapon ...... a weapon they did not even know he had.  And try as I might frame by frame I cannot see any motion that indicates an attempt at anything but running like hell.  The "investigation" revealed police had done absolutely nothing wrong.  Sorry to be so long winded here, but this is only ONE frighteningly and eerily similar incident where it is obviously inappropriate and unnecessary action by police resulting in an innocent person's death and the system finds absolutely nothing wrong.

We have a policing problem.  Ignoring it and throwing out "I support the police" slogans and all the rest will do nothing to fix the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfz4IGMlh0g

How about we have a huge problem with the respect to the rule of law?  Any arguments there?  I agree and have said so many times that when police go out of normal use of force they should be disciplined and charged if necessary.  You throw something or point something at a police officer in the act of committing a crime you will be shot plain and simple!   They are trained to do so, they just want to go home to their family every night.

Common thread with many of these police shootings that gets lost in all the protests and crying about police brutality is these people were indeed in the act of  commiting a crime.  There are exceptions I understand but not usually the norm.  So the #1 thing to learn here is don't steal a car, drink and drive, beat your spouse, shoot your neighbor, pass counterfeit money, deal drugs, etc..  Then they'll be 90% less likely to have any interaction with the police!  Why is this SO hard to understand??

42 minutes ago, johnnybgood said:

Why is this SO hard to understand??

It's not hard to understand. However, the "shoot first, investigate later" mentality displayed in many, many instances, IS hard to understand.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:06 AM, Bit Banger said:

Wrong dude, you are clueless.