Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
A-rod

Finding ladies to model

33 posts in this topic

So, in one of my other lives I am a photographer. I shoot all sorts of styles, but have difficulty finding models for nude/adult work.

I am familiar with the well-known modeling portfolio sites. Anyone have any other suggestions?

What about providers?

thx!

Considering lots of guys in our world are picture collectors claiming to be photographers, you should offer more info, like credentials, are you paying? What exactly do you have in mind? etc....Then ladies could PM you if interested....Or you could buy a banner ad on EB!

Edited by Velvet Valentine
sp

Considering lots of guys in our world are picture collectors claiming to be photographers, you should offer more info, like credentials, are you paying? What exactly do you have in mind? etc....Then ladies could PM you if interested....Or you could buy a banner ad on EB!

I didn't want to turn this into a job posting, hence the limited details. I am not selling my service, but rather hiring models, which is why the banner ad isn't a good fit.

If a lady may have any possible interest, they can PM and we can discuss off the forum.

Thanks,

A-rod

sorry, you just sound like a perv wanting to get free naked photos. :rolleyes:

sorry, you just sound like a perv wanting to get free naked photos. :rolleyes:

That's because you know nothing of my photography and aren't paying attention: "hiring models" means I pay a model to pose for a photo shoot. I don't want anything for free. I am not seeking business (i.e. to sell my services). I have a specific project in mind and am seeking feedback on potential resources.

Again, I am not going to get into specifics beyond my question here. I think that wonders too far and starts to get into self-promotion. I will answer questions and provide work examples to models who are interested in working for me via direct communication (message me).

Anyway, I figured this forum was a long shot but you never know where you might find an unexpected resource.

"hiring models" means I pay a model to pose for a photo shoot. I don't want anything for free. I am not seeking business (i.e. to sell my services). I have a specific project in mind and am seeking feedback on potential resources.

Anyway, I figured this forum was a long shot but you never know where you might find an unexpected resource.

yeah,know what you mean..i've been looking everywhere for an ebony model without luck :(

best bet is to place,as Velvet suggest, an ad ...and then expect a lot og girls that shouldn't be models to show up.takes patience,but eventually you'll find what you want

good luck

I have a suggestion for you~

If you look on EB you can look and find a handful of body sizes/ types of girls you think might work and then shoot them all an email.

In that email you would need to tell them who you are, where you found them, what the modeling is for, your gallery if you have one, where she would be published, who has rights to the photos, disclaimers ect., what city the shoot would be in, how long the shoot should last, and what your willing to pay.

Sorry this went to JRWolfe, it was meant for A-rod:)

I have a suggestion for you~

If you look on EB you can look and find a handful of body sizes/ types of girls you think might work and then shoot them all an email.

In that email you would need to tell them who you are, where you found them, what the modeling is for, your gallery if you have one, where she would be published, who has rights to the photos, disclaimers ect., what city the shoot would be in, how long the shoot should last, and what your willing to pay.

Sorry this went to JRWolfe, it was meant for A-rod:)

Its good advice to all photographers.

Don't let your mama take your kodachrome away.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I honestly am not sure why you are having an issue with finding models. I sure don't...

I do know some photogs in CO have a bad rep because they don't let the model bring a friend to the shoot if it is fetish/adult related (makes them seem creepy)...and of course there is the ever present and VERY annoying "guy with a camera"

syndrome that is rampant on those sites.

I assume you have your work visible on those sites...and it helps to not just have nudes, but a variety of work displayed in your portofolio and links to the make-up artists etc that you work with. Also, when you compose a request to a model, be sure to have first looked at her portfolio to make sure that is something she does. Newbies are more likely to accept your offer, as models that have been around a while tend to find their niche (glamour, commercial etc) and often don't venture out of that niche.

Anyway, I'm sure you know this already, but just in case. Oh yeah, traveling models often tend to do more of the fetish/adult/nude work so keep an eye out for them.

I honestly am not sure why you are having an issue with finding models. I sure don't...

I do know some photogs in CO have a bad rep because they don't let the model bring a friend to the shoot if it is fetish/adult related (makes them seem creepy)...and of course there is the ever present and VERY annoying "guy with a camera"

syndrome that is rampant on those sites.

I assume you have your work visible on those sites...and it helps to not just have nudes, but a variety of work displayed in your portofolio and links to the make-up artists etc that you work with. Also, when you compose a request to a model, be sure to have first looked at her portfolio to make sure that is something she does. Newbies are more likely to accept your offer, as models that have been around a while tend to find their niche (glamour, commercial etc) and often don't venture out of that niche.

Anyway, I'm sure you know this already, but just in case. Oh yeah, traveling models often tend to do more of the fetish/adult/nude work so keep an eye out for them.

All true and known. It's just a general flakiness issue with models following-up. If I was just shooting fashion/lingerie there's be a lot more models and more models who take it seriously. It's the niche of this shoot making the process more problematic.

Well good luck, I know there are some good ladies out there :) It'll happen eventually.

I do know some photogs in CO have a bad rep because they don't let the model bring a friend to the shoot if it is fetish/adult related (makes them seem creepy )

I'm having problems finding models without tattoos for certain well paying projects.

Significant others are a distraction on a set. 99% of the time the model is looking at them instead of into the camera.

Well good luck, I know there are some good ladies out there :) It'll happen eventually.

th?id=I.4556376942511113&pid=15.1 :D

From my personal experience as being a model for guys that claim to be professional photographers from this board it has been a bad experience. If you are going to be a "professional" PLEASE have the professional tools that it takes to be a "professional". Please make sure that you have proper lighting. Please make sure that you have an actual studio and you are not just shooting in some dingy room that is too small. Please make sure that you have a proper camera. The ones that you can get from Walmart $150 are not professional. You need a DSLR with several different lenses. Please have proper backdrops (that are not tore up and ratty) and sets and props for the model to use. Nothing screams unprofessional like somebody trying to say that their bedroom is the set that the model will be using. All that I am saying is make sure that you have the proper materials to call yourself professional. If you don't, the lady will never be in touch with you again, she will question your judgment and she will talk to her friends about what a bad experience it was shooting with you. I know because I speak from personal experience as the "model" on "sets" that did not meet the criteria explained above.

[snip] I have found that the best way to get models is by word of mouth and by having a portfolio of your work to show to your potential model client. The best thing that you can do is say "hey, here is my portfolio with all of my work" and then let the girl decide from there. But if you do a good job, she WILL tell her friends and in return you will get more models.

Unfortunately, girls on this board are generally hinky about guys "looking for models" because the truth of the matter is that many of the guys that claim to be photographers here are not. Note that I said many and not all because I know that there is at least one professional photographer here that does great work. But there are 50 nonprofessionals to the one professional unfortunately.:(

Edited by boink36
Advertising removed.

Yes..I wasn't talking about generally, or on set. I was talking about specifically a fetish shoot (particulary one that invovles bondage etc). Anyway, this is just what I have heard in complaints from models I have worked with...that they have to arrive alone. Like I said, creepy.

Now if you are doing fashion, this is not an issue, and I have not worked with a single female that needed her SO present. If they are around, they usually go get something to eat etc. As for the tattoos, I hope you understand I am not talking about me modeling as obviously I have a ton, but I work with many models (as a photographer) who do not. This is not that hard to find...you should PM me as I probably know people interested in the projects depending on what they are.

Like I said lol...the infamous "guy with a camera" syndrome. Thanks for expaining that better Destiny :)

Thanks for expaining that better Destiny :)

Sure thing!

Funny, every time I post that I always get a private message from some guy that is pissed off that I posted the truth. :rolleyes:

From my personal experience as being a model for guys that claim to be professional photographers from this board it has been a bad experience. If you are going to be a "professional" PLEASE have the professional tools that it takes to be a "professional". Please make sure that you have proper lighting. Please make sure that you have an actual studio and you are not just shooting in some dingy room that is too small. Please make sure that you have a proper camera. The ones that you can get from Walmart $150 are not professional. You need a DSLR with several different lenses. Please have proper backdrops (that are not tore up and ratty) and sets and props for the model to use. Nothing screams unprofessional like somebody trying to say that their bedroom is the set that the model will be using. All that I am saying is make sure that you have the proper materials to call yourself professional. If you don't, the lady will never be in touch with you again, she will question your judgment and she will talk to her friends about what a bad experience it was shooting with you. I know because I speak from personal experience as the "model" on "sets" that did not meet the criteria explained above.

[snip] I have found that the best way to get models is by word of mouth and by having a portfolio of your work to show to your potential model client. The best thing that you can do is say "hey, here is my portfolio with all of my work" and then let the girl decide from there. But if you do a good job, she WILL tell her friends and in return you will get more models.

Unfortunately, girls on this board are generally hinky about guys "looking for models" because the truth of the matter is that many of the guys that claim to be photographers here are not. Note that I said many and not all because I know that there is at least one professional photographer here that does great work. But there are 50 nonprofessionals to the one professional unfortunately.:(

Well, I started with photography back in 1984 shooting and developing B&W, later I shot color reversal and slide film, switched to digital when the Canon 10D came out. Shoot with a newer Canon DSLR now.

Yes I have strobes, umbrellas, scrims, reflectors, large backdrop and multiple muslins. Working with all of that can be tedious and isn't always necessary (often isn't). Depends on what look you want.

Anyway, I am putting together information on my intended shoot and myself that I can provide to ladies that I contact to inquire about possible interest...

Edited by boink36
Edited quote.

Funniest post ever.:cool:

And your, uh, "professional samples"? Not so much.

Yes I have strobes, umbrellas, scrims, reflectors, large backdrop and multiple muslins.

I guess you be a professional then.:cool:

So, in one of my other lives I am a photographer. I shoot all sorts of styles, but have difficulty finding models for nude/adult work.

I am familiar with the well-known modeling portfolio sites. Anyone have any other suggestions?

What about providers?

thx!

If you go the ModelMayhem route, you'll more likely than not end up with deadbeats.

Put a "respectful" ad up on CL's creative services section. Either offer compensation (about $25-$35/hour for an inexperienced model), or a trade. Offer a trade if you have, well, something to offer. Your likelihood of getting a good model willing to do trade increases with the likelihood of you being able to produce work she can use. A picture with a dildo sticking out of her azz doesn't usually fall into the category of "useable" work.

Oh, and ignore what Destiny says. It's the standard boilerplate crap you often get from totally inexperienced noobie girls. "What? You don't have a studio? Amateur!

...Yes I have strobes, umbrellas, scrims, reflectors, large backdrop and multiple muslins. ...

I guess you be a professional then.:cool:

At least he's not trying to capture the moment with a Kodak Brownie or Polaroid Square Shooter.

Oh, and ignore what Destiny says. It's the standard boilerplate crap you often get from totally inexperienced noobie girls. "What? You don't have a studio? Amateur!

I'm guessing you don't have a studio, amiright? :cool:

I'm guessing you don't have a studio, amiright? :cool:

You can rent a fully equipped studio for reasonable rates in any city in this country.

Try again.:cool:

Try again.:cool:

Why? You answered the question. You don't have a studio.

Have a nice day! :)

] I have found that the best way to get models is by word of mouth and by having a portfolio of your work to show to your potential model client. The best thing that you can do is say "hey, here is my portfolio with all of my work" and then let the girl decide from there. But if you do a good job, she WILL tell her friends and in return you will get more models.

ROFL

You misunderstood my point.

Its very easy to get models, I've been on "cattle calls" where hundreds of very hot girls show up. The problem these days is that about 99% of them are rejected for having tattoos. The magazines that pay top dollar do NOT want tats..simple as that.

but since you have decided to join into the world behind the camera...be prepared for a lot of backstabbing. Its a very tough dog eat dog industry...and a big reality check as to what sells.

You misunderstood my point.

No, I didn't. I wasn't even talking to YOU...:rolleyes: