Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jez UaBriain

Abc's and hall monitors

34 posts in this topic

:rolleyes::rolleyes:The ABC’s and Hall monitors.

Ok, I am ranting here a little bit, but it just strikes me as juvenile the way some people make a point to point out others vocabulary and basic grammar mistakes. ????? It’s not the fact that the mistakes are pointed out. It’s the way they are- with glee, sarcasm, etc.

I have held on to this belief; that we are products of our environment. And not all who frequent this forum are college educated. And besides, since when did you have to be a grammar whiz to post here? Being humans we meet up here in this cyber-land when time permits. We show up here with varying degrees of intellect, and all of our idiosyncrasies, learning disabilities, drug and /or alcohol addictions, mental state, and health and family problems,etc. A regular ol’ melting pot of our society. Not to mention the age range of 18 to 99 plus.

When did we become each others grammar nazi? I guess what bothers me is when someone gets the balls to begin posting and their vocabulary, or their basic grasp of the nuance's of grammar navigation isn’t up to par with our own; Is it necessary to immediately post out their glaring grammar faux paus? This is not grade school, and we are not hall monitors. We see the mistakes. But our intellect is capable of picking through the mistakes to understand the op's intent, or is it?

And since we are not parochial school students, is it that hard to NOT jump in with dripping sarcasm when someone has the vocabulary considered “ghetto”, or just can’t get their “i’s in the right place. Or cross their “t”s in a timely fashion. And since when did it become our place to act so trollish?

Okay, I’ve said what I wanted. I’ve made some basic English mistakes. Some because I don't know the proper usuage, and some because I am lazy when I type. But I do believe those who read this understand the point I am making.

Jez,

"NAZI" is an acronym of formal names and used properly should be capitalized.

Jez,

"NAZI" is an acronym of formal names and used properly should be capitalized. :P

Being a hall monitor fixed it for you. :D

Being a hall monitor fixed it for you. :D

Thanks! I was wondering why she threw that bottle of Irish whiskey at me!

Thanks! I was wondering why she threw that bottle of Irish whiskey at me!

LoL! No that was not the good stuff. That was "Southern Comfort". I would never waste Ireland' s export. :rolleyes:

Gee whiz..... another rant...... maybe this board needs a seperate area for regular ranters to post their rants. Not complaining just suggesting......

Can I at least make fun of people that misspell simple words when attacking the intelligence of others? Like the classic "your retarded"? Or, sarcastically, "your a genious"?

Can I at least make fun of people that misspell simple words when attacking the intelligence of others? Like the classic "your retarded"? Or, sarcastically, "your a genious"?

Ummm, unless you really are "retarded", that would be "you're a genius". :rolleyes:

Maybe you should leave the sarcasm and snotty comments to the professionals(or, at least those that can spell...).

Things that make me say "WTF". May we all agree that none of us can properly communicate in English regardless if it is in written or verbal. I dare not bring in listening and reading skills as I am sure this will only add to the stupidity of this conversation.

As someone who wasted entirely to much of my parent's money pursuing a degree that meant I was destined for either the soup or unemployment line, I can only state--" Who cares". Communication is the skill of expressing ideas, thoughts, attitudes, beliefs, values, emotions, responses and desired actions in others.

The "Young Lass" we are discussing may not spell correctly but she made her point.

All in fun Jez,;) never ever begin a sentence with a conjunction such as and or but:p

Gee whiz..... another rant...... maybe this board needs a seperate area for regular ranters to post their rants. Not complaining just suggesting......

Darlin', and you could post rants just like this one in the rant section too.

You could rant all you want to about those of us whom you consider to be "ranter's". Careful, lest you be deemed a ranter also.:D

Ummm, unless you really are "retarded", that would be "you're a genius". :rolleyes:

Maybe you should leave the sarcasm and snotty comments to the professionals(or, at least those that can spell...).

Yeah, that's the joke. Good job!

The ABC’s and Hall monitors.

Ok, I am ranting here a little bit, but it just strikes me as juvenile the way some people make a point to point out others vocabulary and basic grammar mistakes. ????? It’s not the fact that the mistakes are pointed out. It’s the way they are- with glee, sarcasm, etc.

I have held on to this belief; that we are products of our environment. And not all who frequent this forum are college educated. And besides, since when did you have to be a grammar whiz to post here? Being humans we meet up here in this cyber-land when time permits. We show up here with varying degrees of intellect, and all of our idiosyncrasies, learning disabilities, drug and /or alcohol addictions, mental state, and health and family problems,etc. A regular ol’ melting pot of our society. Not to mention the age range of 18 to 99 plus.

When did we become each others grammar nazi? I guess what bothers me is when someone gets the balls to begin posting and their vocabulary, or their basic grasp of the nuance's of grammar navigation isn’t up to par with our own; Is it necessary to immediately post out their glaring grammar faux paus? This is not grade school, and we are not hall monitors. We see the mistakes. But our intellect is capable of picking through the mistakes to understand the op's intent, or is it?

And since we are not parochial school students, is it that hard to NOT jump in with dripping sarcasm when someone has the vocabulary considered “ghetto”, or just can’t get their “i’s in the right place. Or cross their “t”s in a timely fashion. And since when did it become our place to act so trollish?

Okay, I’ve said what I wanted. I’ve made some basic English mistakes. Some because I don't know the proper usuage, and some because I am lazy when I type. But I do believe those who read this understand the point I am making.

Well I think you've pointed out some interesting things about this "community". You've reminded me of some things I've thought about myself. I have been spell-checked on here a few times....I may have even responded to it in the past. I don't always want to have to explain it's 7am, I just woke up, I'm sitting in the dog park trying to post something from my phone, & my dogs are at the fence barking at another dog walking by.

Geez! Not even medical doctors have to explain why they can't spell, but we sure feel like we almost have to on here. Who cares why or if you can or can't spell? Can use or understand big words or not? In my book you can be a good person or bad person regardless of your spelling or grammar. This whole spell checking thing pushes a lot of people away & makes a lot defensive.

One of the other things I've been thinking about & spoke with a few people about, is how often people misundertand eachother on here. Without real life human jestures & emotions it's easier to misinterpret written words, thus making it easier to be mean...which leads to such a negative environment....too bad so sad...I doubt my words will ever change anything anyway. Hahaha. Whith that said I will say I have met a lot of WONDERFUL Ladies & Gentlemen here & have made GREAT friends.... so ya, deffinitly worth it!

;):D:mad::rolleyes::eek::cool:

hey jez,

great post! i'm glad someone else feels the same way and it's way past time to yank the reins a little bit.

ive dealt with the written word day in and day out for decades. that's why i almost NEVER capitalize nuthin. besides being a fan of e.e. cummings it just makes it easier to type - lol

you're right there's too much nitpickin' goin' on 'round heah.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:The ABC’s and Hall monitors.

You got it covered regarding writing skills. Now how about linguistic skills? Or do I speak with forked tongue.:)

I are a English graduate ;)

No, no, Wendy.

You IS a English graduate.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Super Busty Scorpio hit it right on the head with her comments. It is the meaness with which those who can't spell are subjected to. This is what I am offended by and take offense at. And my english is fairly good. But I feel compassion when I see a person venture to post here, and then get shot down by the few mean spirited individuals who jump at a chance to belittle, demean, ridicule.

It is one thing to joke around. It is also another thing to be a good sport .When it is done here, it is often done with derision. And always by the same small minds.

When I see someone getting picked on for their lack of vocabulary, or english composition skills, etc. I will jump in. If I see anyone being picked on in a manner that is rude period, I will jump into the conversation to their defense. Most people try to write in good form.

The last time I looked you had to be an adult to post here. It would be nice if we all acted like it. Grammar Nazi's have fun, There are a multitude of mistakes in this posting.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :P

To Jez' point, always has been, always will be the perceived anonymity of the 'Net appealing to some individuals' baser instincts. It will never go away.

Ignore it, move on. <shrug>

No, no, Wendy.

You IS a English graduate.

I BE an English graduate. #Ebonics :rolleyes:

I absolutely agree.

While some of the comments are funny when posted in a lighthearted way, I think that too often the comments are posted as a way to belittle the poster.

But on the other hand, sometimes a little criticism can be a positive thing.

I couldn't help myself :D

I think we're less concerned with your English than we are with your French!;)

I do not care if there is an occasional spelling or grammar error but sometime I wonder WTF?

"Then wouldn't be the provider for you or anyone else having an issue with "hun"."

Read what you post before pressing the Submit Reply button.

I do not care if there is an occasional spelling or grammar error but sometime I wonder WTF?

"Then wouldn't be the provider for you or anyone else having an issue with "hun"."

Read what you post before pressing the Submit Reply button.

What he said! I don't care if their/there, your/you're or even to/two/too are used incorrectly/interchangably, or fat-fingered spelling comes through loud and unclear. I can wade through text-ese, ebonics and twitter-ish. But I can't fathom incoherence, which appears here and other places more often than you would like.

Is it so hard to be logical and communicate clearly? Unfortunately, for some, that appears to be the case...

Edited by chunky4096
And use the edit button to fix what you missed!