Newoldbull

Football season is here

45 posts in this topic

I don't want to see coach (Optimus) Prime fail, but I'm not a fan of the brutal way he overhauled the team.  Only 10 scholarship players from last year are still on the roster.  Sanders brought in 68 new scholarship players including 9 from Jackson State.  It use to be a college coach had to play with the players he inherited and build a team with solid recruiting.  But Sanders got to bring in a whole new team and is praised for the miraculous turnaround.  But the Buffs will do well, on name recognition alone players will want to play in Boulder for Neon Deion.  I know he said he will not leave the Buffs for the NFL.  But I'm sure Jackson State thought he would stay longer than 3 seasons.  (After all God called Deion collect to tell him to re-build Jackson State.) So I would not be suprised if Deion left for the NFL after a couple of seasons in Boulder.

Did you notice the Oregon students did not rush the field after the win?  If CU students rush the field after every home win that just waters it  down and makes it not special anymore.  Does the University have to replace the goal posts after every home win?  I'm sure that would get expensive.  But enough football NHL pre-season has started, so my attention will shift.

I could not believe yesterday's Bronco game.  Miami may be good but not that good.  A sad day for Bronco fans.  It was like a car wreck that you just can't stop watching.  Is our defense really that bad?  Time for more personnel and staff changes?

21 hours ago, TML93 said:

I don't want to see coach (Optimus) Prime fail, but I'm not a fan of the brutal way he overhauled the team... It use to be a college coach had to play with the players he inherited and build a team with solid recruiting. 

It used to be players were stuck with the college they initially played for while coaches could leave while under contract. It used to be that college players couldn't benefit financially outside of college costs. Sanders came in, used the tools available to recruit and market his new team. College football is all about making money. So far so good.  And his statements about Henry Blackburn receiving death threats after the CU-CSU game might just be the best sound bite I've ever heard from a football coach. 

A little perspective.  CU has been horrible for a few years and suffered through more than one disaster coach (ask Michigan State about the one they "stole" lol).  This year they have three times more wins than last year, defeated a ranked media darling team and Nebraska and CSU.  It is already a highly successful season lol!!!  And I suspect they will win a few more even if the Pac 12 is brutally good in its last year of existence and therefore the schedule is very difficult  Go Buffs, go Coach!!!

Now the Broncos on the other hand, why was it they hired Vance Joseph again? Unwatchable!  Perhaps Payton is somewhat less than the genius he is over hyped to be?  They look like a horribly coached team especially on defense.  I guess this week they and the Bears will decide once and for all who the worst team in the league is.  Maybe they can actually steal a win before playing the Swifties.

On 9/24/2023 at 7:16 PM, TML93 said:

I don't want to see coach (Optimus) Prime fail, but I'm not a fan of the brutal way he overhauled the team.  Only 10 scholarship players from last year are still on the roster.  Sanders brought in 68 new scholarship players including 9 from Jackson State.  It use to be a college coach had to play with the players he inherited and build a team with solid recruiting.  But Sanders got to bring in a whole new team and is praised for the miraculous turnaround.  But the Buffs will do well, on name recognition alone players will want to play in Boulder for Neon Deion.  I know he said he will not leave the Buffs for the NFL.  But I'm sure Jackson State thought he would stay longer than 3 seasons.  (After all God called Deion collect to tell him to re-build Jackson State.) So I would not be suprised if Deion left for the NFL after a couple of seasons in Boulder.

Did you notice the Oregon students did not rush the field after the win?  If CU students rush the field after every home win that just waters it  down and makes it not special anymore.  Does the University have to replace the goal posts after every home win?  I'm sure that would get expensive.  But enough football NHL pre-season has started, so my attention will shift.

Well Sanders did not invent the current idiotic portal rule but he certainly used it to CU's Advantage.  As to the former players - how exactly did they expect to continue with full ride scholarships at a great school for playing football at a level that placed them literally in the bottom ten of college football.  May they all learn and play better elsewhere.

I didn't say Sanders invented or broke the rules, I'm just not a fan of what he did. (Like the saying I don't hate the player I hate the game)  But I completely understand why he did it.  Sanders needs to win, and win now.  He does not have time to actually build a program.  Yes college football is all about making money now. The notion of the student athlete is laughable. College football is unofficially the minor league for the NFL.  Sanders was given a blanque check and he was able to almost completely replace the team and coaching staff. I know there are assistants on the CU staff that were Division 1 head coaches.  So the program should make money, because they have spent plenty. (I wish Sanders would admit he came to Colorado for the money and not because God relocated him here)  But CU will be good for a while. I admit I don't know enough about football to know if Sanders is a good X's and O's coach, but he has recruiting on lock.  He has Rizz, and star power.  I remember Bill McCartney saying he used the beauty of Boulder as a selling point when recruiting.  Sanders does not need to do that.  As he said in his 60 minutes interview, his players did not choose the university, they chose him.  CU will be desired by not only top High School prospects but also top free agents I mean transfer students from all over the country. So don't worry if CU stumbles down the stretch and finishes with 4 or 5 losses, Sanders can scrap this team and replace it with a better one next season.  But like I said before I like to root for the little guy.  Air Force is 4-0, Colorado School of Mines is also 4-0 and Wyoming is 3-1.  My alma mater high school team is tied for first in their league.  (And no I did not attend Cherry Creek or Valor Christian so my school is the little guy)

On 9/9/2023 at 8:28 AM, Mustang87 said:

I wouldn't start football until October. Why play in such warm weather? Besides, everyone knows it's still baseball season.

Clearly, October is not ever really been a warm month in Colorado except for this year. With that said, and this is not about college football I am pulling for the Lions to make it to the Super Bowl!!!!  Now that would be a  miracle, for them to win!!!  FINALLY!!!!

I worked with a guy from the south side of Chicago.  He loved the White Sox, and hated the Cubs.  He was convinced the Cubs were cursed and would never win the World Series.  He had a bet with someone what would happen first, the Cubs win the World Series or the Lions win the Super Bowl.  The bet lasted over 20 years until they had a winner.  I watched Super Bowl 49 (Or XLIX) with a group of guys including the guy with the bet.  We were watching Katey Perry performing at halftime, and she rides a giant gold Lion while singing "Roar".  The guy with the bet said "Look this might be the only time you see a Lion at the Super Bowl".  The next season the Cubs won the World Series and he lost the bet.

On 9/9/2023 at 1:24 PM, gr8owl said:

Now about the Broncos.  Anyone convinced Wilson gets it done this year?  And what is up with refs not calling blatant false start penalties on Chiefs?  I know they are ratings gold, but really?

Wilson will be fine as he has proven thus far under a great head coach. The refs love the Chiefs and the NFL too, don't think for one minute calls go in the Chiefs disfavor. They are the NFL darling. Watch the games closely and you'll see a great number of "no calls" against the Chiefs. HOWEVER YOU SPELL THEIR DAMN ASS NAME! LOL!  

15 hours ago, Elle Blake said:

Clearly, October is not ever really been a warm month in Colorado except for this year. With that said, and this is not about college football I am pulling for the Lions to make it to the Super Bowl!!!!  Now that would be a  miracle, for them to win!!!  FINALLY!!!!

You GO GIRL! Lions! YAY! I hope you are right, that'd be so cool!

On 9/8/2023 at 10:27 PM, Newoldbull said:

Colorado shocked the football world by upsetting TCU.  The Coach Prime hype is through the roof. Its all you hear on Sports media. I personally think they beat a team that was overrated and will be exposed this Saturday against Nebraska but it will be an interesting and entertaining game. To all you college football fans out there i hope to hear your expert opinion. May the best team win!!

Seeing a double OT was so crazy to watch, Im excited for this weeks game here in AZ ASU, I live pretty close to stadium so I go to the ASU games a lot

On 9/25/2023 at 9:03 AM, average1 said:

I could not believe yesterday's Bronco game.  Miami may be good but not that good.  A sad day for Bronco fans.  It was like a car wreck that you just can't stop watching.  Is our defense really that bad?  Time for more personnel and staff changes?

I'm glad I missed it. Spent the day at my daughter's wedding. Much better way to spend my time for sure! Hope you are doing great bud!

On 27/09/2023 at 4:08 AM, TML93 said:

I didn't say Sanders invented or broke the rules, I'm just not a fan of what he did. (Like the saying I don't hate the player I hate the game)  But I completely understand why he did it.  Sanders needs to win, and win now.  He does not have time to actually build a program.  Yes college football is all about making money now. The notion of the student athlete is laughable. College football is unofficially the minor league for the NFL.  Sanders was given a blanque check and he was able to almost completely replace the team and coaching staff. I know there are assistants on the CU staff that were Division 1 head coaches.  So the program should make money, because they have spent plenty. (I wish Sanders would admit he came to Colorado for the money and not because God relocated him here)  But CU will be good for a while. I admit I don't know enough about football to know if Sanders is a good X's and O's coach, but he has recruiting on lock.  He has Rizz, and star power.  I remember Bill McCartney saying he used the beauty of Boulder as a selling point when recruiting.  Sanders does not need to do that.  As he said in his 60 minutes interview, his players did not choose the university, they chose him.  CU will be desired by not only top High School prospects but also top free agents I mean transfer students from all over the country. So don't worry if CU stumbles down the stretch and finishes with 4 or 5 losses, Sanders can scrap this team and replace it with a better one next season.  But like I said before I like to root for the little guy.  Air Force is 4-0, Colorado School of Mines is also 4-0 and Wyoming is 3-1.  My alma mater high school team is tied for first in their league.  (And no I did not attend Cherry Creek or Valor Christian so my school is the little guy)

Your insights about Sanders' approach and the current landscape of college football are spot on! It's a complex game where winning often demands immediate results. It's intriguing how Sanders' strategy focuses on swift team turnover for success. And rooting for the underdogs like Air Force, Colorado School of Mines, and Wyoming, as well as your alma mater, adds an extra layer of excitement to the game!

I just wanted to wish Colorado School of Mines good luck on Saturday 12/16 as they play in their 2nd consecutive Division II National Championship game.  And they are seeking their first ever title.  It won't be easy as they are playing Harding.  Both teams are 14-0 and have the most potent offenses in Division II.  If Colorado School of Mines can win, maybe they will introduce a new course on head coach Brandon Moore.  No never mind that's silly, what school would do something like that?  Go Orediggers!!

Oh and good luck to Air Force as they play James Madison in the Armed Forces bowl on 12/23.