Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparkey600

New Partners?

17 posts in this topic

So this is the "thing" A couple of months ago I unfortunately had to put down my 22 year old cat. Sad, but she lived the "cat's wet dream" of any cat that ever lived!" God, she had a lot of fun in her life, I have to admit, she is was the best cat I've ever been around in my life. Never got up on the kitchen counters, didn't eat house plants, was waiting for me on the front porch when I got home (when she was an outdoor/indoor cat) She was so smart she knew how to outsmart a coyote that was stalking her by hiding under a car, where she knew she was safe until "dad" chased it off! Had another encounter with a racoon that she ended up in the cat ER but she recovered nicely. From then on, she only went outside during the day, she was smart enough to know to come home in the afternoon....All of our neighbors knew her and loved her for the good cat she was...God, so many good things to say about her, too many to list for sure. She used to "mother" other animals, like snakes and anything she could pick up by the scruff of the neck...she'd lay on them, keeping them warm. Never harming them ever.....

She will be missed for sure, never replaced.... ever...She left a mark on my soul and I think I will always miss her.....

So, I have a great friend that was moving and can't afford the extra rent for two cats. I'm wondering "rent on pets?" But I guess that's a thing now. She reached out to me to see if my wife and myself might be interested in possibly adopting a new male cat that's one year old. We were over at her house a year ago with our dog and the two of them met briefly. Cat? NOT HAPPY! Dog, cool ..what is this little animal?  I love cats he said! Long story short, We adopted our very good friend's cat. Our 125 pound Mastiff is good with his new fur "bro" and the cat is warming up to his new "people" his big ass dog and his new forever home.

We are glad we took the chance and saved him from ending up in "the system" he is loving and is getting to know his new "forever home"

He has a "forever" home with my wife, our big ass dog and myself. We all love him. It's a very beautiful relationship....

I hope more people might do the same. 

Awesome story. Made my day. We have a rescue too. Win win.

So sorry for your loss.  And thrilled you found another family member.  Rescues and adoptions are a great way to bring in a new family member.  Every dog I've ever had was:  1 - A runaway who's owner said for us to keep him.  2 - Abandoned in a back yard, about to be tranquilized by animal control.  3 - Stolen from someone's garage (thought is was an abused child).  4 - Retired racing Greyhound.

I think that rescues somehow know they were rescued and all of ours have been fantastic.

Thanks for this post.  It makes my day a lot brighter.

It is great that you helped that cat out. It has been a  couple of years since I had a pet. Went to the shelter a number of times. They do a good job taking care of them but it is a sad place to visit. You have my respect.

I have friends that are "land lords" and really try to keep good, well maintained rentals.  I have seen (and smelled) units after pet owners have moved out and it is truly disgusting.  I know that not every renter is a turd, but more times than not, pet owner units have to have floors completely replaced because of dog/cat urine being allowed to soak into the sub flooring.  The damage deposit is never enough to affect repairs.  I get the "cat rent" .  Sorry that you lost a long time buddy, sounds like you are a good pet owner.

So sorry about the loss of your cat.  They definitely become family members.

Good for you and your wife welcoming a new member into your family.

I have heard of rent on pets.  In fact, some places will take a dna sample of your pet and if they find poop on the property and it matches the dna of your pet, you will be fined.

On 4/10/2021 at 6:47 PM, mustang said:

I have friends that are "land lords" and really try to keep good, well maintained rentals.  I have seen (and smelled) units after pet owners have moved out and it is truly disgusting.  I know that not every renter is a turd, but more times than not, pet owner units have to have floors completely replaced because of dog/cat urine being allowed to soak into the sub flooring.  The damage deposit is never enough to affect repairs.  I get the "cat rent" .  Sorry that you lost a long time buddy, sounds like you are a good pet owner.

We love our pets like a lot of people love their children. They are spoiled with love and a lot of affection and are very well taken care of. Yes, I agree with you, some people do not and that is sad, and the damage deposit or the "pet rent" plays a big part in all of this because of what you stated. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, sometimes I tend to have rose colored glasses for sure!

12 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

So sorry about the loss of your cat.  They definitely become family members.

Good for you and your wife welcoming a new member into your family.

I have heard of rent on pets.  In fact, some places will take a dna sample of your pet and if they find poop on the property and it matches the dna of your pet, you will be fined.

Yes, the poop patrol. I've head that too. We always pick up after our hound when we go for walks with him. I really don't know why other people do not?

Thank you about the comment about my cat. Truth be told I didn't grieve too much for her, yes I will miss her....but she led SUCH a long, good life. One of he things I have to be careful of is measuring future cats against her, I'm trying hard not to do that.  

On 4/10/2021 at 0:29 PM, average1 said:

So sorry for your loss.  And thrilled you found another family member.  Rescues and adoptions are a great way to bring in a new family member.  Every dog I've ever had was:  1 - A runaway who's owner said for us to keep him.  2 - Abandoned in a back yard, about to be tranquilized by animal control.  3 - Stolen from someone's garage (thought is was an abused child).  4 - Retired racing Greyhound.

I think that rescues somehow know they were rescued and all of ours have been fantastic.

Thanks for this post.  It makes my day a lot brighter.

Thank you bud.

Everything is really going good, the new cat and the hound are getting to know one another and are getting use to each other...Optimist in me thinks they will become good friends, I'll keep you posted! My big ass dog really doesn't have a mean bone in his body so I think this is going to go well for my furry family! hahaha

On 4/10/2021 at 9:54 AM, Mustang87 said:

Awesome story. Made my day. We have a rescue too. Win win.

Glad to hear that my friend!

Rescues make best friends!

Awwwwe, God bless you. May the new kitty have a long wonderful, spoiled life as well.❤️

31 minutes ago, Audrey Astor said:

Awwwwe, God bless you. May the new kitty have a long wonderful, spoiled life as well.❤️

On 4/11/2021 at 11:39 PM, Audrey Astor said:

We're working on that!

He is very loved by us and our big ass hound as well!

a

A while ago I had a german shepherd that was a beautiful and loving pet and was was very tolerant of other people and pets.  I had a friend that had a manx cat and when they had a newborn, the cat would climb into the crib and lay by the baby's head.  They decided that that would not do.  I happened to come along and ended up taking this large manx cat.  I was driving home which was about 500 miles away and had a volkswagon beetle.  Cat did not like dogs so I emptied out my duffle bag and put the cat in there.  Well to say the least the cat made awful noises and the dog was very curious.  So after about a half hour of this howling I decided enough was enough and stopped the car and let the cat out and I got out of the car quickly. I figured that only one would survive without much injury.  End of story after about 5 min. they called a truce and we drove the rest of the way without incident and no blood.  That cat was great but was the terror of the neighborhood but he and the dog became best buds.

Sorry to hear about your cat but glad you have another!  I have this penchant for rescue animals and all my pets now are rescues. I hope someone rescues me.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:09 PM, coolhand luke said:

a

A while ago I had a german shepherd that was a beautiful and loving pet and was was very tolerant of other people and pets.  I had a friend that had a manx cat and when they had a newborn, the cat would climb into the crib and lay by the baby's head.  They decided that that would not do.  I happened to come along and ended up taking this large manx cat.  I was driving home which was about 500 miles away and had a volkswagon beetle.  Cat did not like dogs so I emptied out my duffle bag and put the cat in there.  Well to say the least the cat made awful noises and the dog was very curious.  So after about a half hour of this howling I decided enough was enough and stopped the car and let the cat out and I got out of the car quickly. I figured that only one would survive without much injury.  End of story after about 5 min. they called a truce and we drove the rest of the way without incident and no blood.  That cat was great but was the terror of the neighborhood but he and the dog became best buds.

Sorry to hear about your cat but glad you have another!  I have this penchant for rescue animals and all my pets now are rescues. I hope someone rescues me.

That's a great rescue story for sure!

Never give up hope bud. Love comes to us all in the strangest and most unforeseen happenings of our lives. Rescue pets confirm my thoughts always!

Great story! Thanks for sharing this!

On 4/10/2021 at 0:57 AM, sparkey600 said:

So this is the "thing" A couple of months ago I unfortunately had to put down my 22 year old cat. Sad, but she lived the "cat's wet dream" of any cat that ever lived!" God, she had a lot of fun in her life, I have to admit, she is was the best cat I've ever been around in my life. Never got up on the kitchen counters, didn't eat house plants, was waiting for me on the front porch when I got home (when she was an outdoor/indoor cat) She was so smart she knew how to outsmart a coyote that was stalking her by hiding under a car, where she knew she was safe until "dad" chased it off! Had another encounter with a racoon that she ended up in the cat ER but she recovered nicely. From then on, she only went outside during the day, she was smart enough to know to come home in the afternoon....All of our neighbors knew her and loved her for the good cat she was...God, so many good things to say about her, too many to list for sure. She used to "mother" other animals, like snakes and anything she could pick up by the scruff of the neck...she'd lay on them, keeping them warm. Never harming them ever.....

She will be missed for sure, never replaced.... ever...She left a mark on my soul and I think I will always miss her.....

So, I have a great friend that was moving and can't afford the extra rent for two cats. I'm wondering "rent on pets?" But I guess that's a thing now. She reached out to me to see if my wife and myself might be interested in possibly adopting a new male cat that's one year old. We were over at her house a year ago with our dog and the two of them met briefly. Cat? NOT HAPPY! Dog, cool ..what is this little animal?  I love cats he said! Long story short, We adopted our very good friend's cat. Our 125 pound Mastiff is good with his new fur "bro" and the cat is warming up to his new "people" his big ass dog and his new forever home.

We are glad we took the chance and saved him from ending up in "the system" he is loving and is getting to know his new "forever home"

He has a "forever" home with my wife, our big ass dog and myself. We all love him. It's a very beautiful relationship....

I hope more people might do the same. 

Update.....

Our big hound and the new cat have seem to have to an understanding....The cat hissed and the dog backs away. It's funny because the dog is SO NICE and wants to be friends, the cat is not so sure. I'm sure they will figure out the their relationship in the next few months. I'm glad I have a very good 125 pound mutt that is fond of cats! He is SUCH a GOOD BOY!

On 4/20/2021 at 10:09 PM, coolhand luke said:

a

If your are patient you will cross paths with your soul mate.