Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparkey600

Settling In

84 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2020 at 8:20 AM, gr8owl said:

The "purpose" of the masks is NOT to protect the wearer, but rather others from the wearer.  Masks are one thing that the "experts" continue to flip and flop on.  Now the largely discredited WHO has flip flopped (again!!) relative to those that are asymptomatic being able to infect others.  If and when the CDC and/or AMA, etc agree with the latest WHO proclamation and back it up with actual data then it will be worth paying attention to.

Wear a mask, it might save someone you don't know just saying. Is it so hard???

On 6/4/2020 at 11:35 PM, JRWolfe said:

As stated before,due to my poor immune system...its gong to be a long break. Have no problem wearing a mask when i can get a ride to the store and on the rare times company comes over.That said,can easily understand the frustrations so many are having .

I for one understand your situation and agree 100% Be safe and protect yourself JR! 

On 6/10/2020 at 10:18 PM, JoDoe27 said:

Maybe you can explain why all the survivalists (I’m assuming you’re a survivalist) are so angered right now. This is quite literally what you’ve been prepping and waiting for! This is your moment to shine like the most brilliant of stars while shouting, “I told you so!” as you sequester yourself away until there’s nothing left leaving you and yours able to wait it out for weeks/months/years. Right? I mean, all those people exclaiming your lunacy because you had the audacity to plan ahead can eat a bag of dicks! If it’s truly everyone for themselves you should be cheering as the world burns around since you and yours will survive and prosper while all others die and wither. So what’s the problem? 

Um, no I'm not a survivalist. if you took the time to read my earlier post I was just asking if you agree or disagree to wearing a mask in public. I'm not angry in the least (however you seem to be) However, I want to know if you are willing to wear a mask to save someones life if you are asymptomatic or in close proximity to them. Do you care about the people around you or are you just looking out for yourself? Me? I happen to concern myself about taking  care  about people I have never met yet. I for one would do anything to keep a perfect stranger from getting COVID 19.

That's the difference between you and I. 

You are lacking. You need to be maybe looking deeper in the matters that mean the most. Is wearing a mask asking too much in public to you? Or more to the matter let all the ladies on here know you are being reckless and not protecting yourself. 

I will never tell anyone "I told you so"

A favorite author recently wrote:

No-one wants to devalue any life, but we - Homo sapiens - have defied a fundamental rule of all life; strengthening the race by 'survival of the fittest'. 
We defy the rule by insisting 'all life is sacred' (at least, all human life).

In the same blog post he noted that the H1N1 flu of 1918 killed about 50 Million.  Further research indicates that the 1918 pandemic infected 500 Million, or about 1/3 of the world population.  It killed 50 Million, about 10%, or roughly 2.7% of the world population. 
Our modern medical technology and isolation practices have reduced the deaths due to Covid-19, but at what costs?  I’m not talking about the short term economic costs, but rather the long term costs to our species: lack of herd immunity, weakening of the species as a whole.

Just some food for thought.

6 hours ago, sparkey600 said:

Um, no I'm not a survivalist. if you took the time to read my earlier post I was just asking if you agree or disagree to wearing a mask in public. I'm not angry in the least (however you seem to be) However, I want to know if you are willing to wear a mask to save someones life if you are asymptomatic or in close proximity to them. Do you care about the people around you or are you just looking out for yourself? Me? I happen to concern myself about taking  care  about people I have never met yet. I for one would do anything to keep a perfect stranger from getting COVID 19.

That's the difference between you and I. 

You are lacking. You need to be maybe looking deeper in the matters that mean the most. Is wearing a mask asking too much in public to you? Or more to the matter let all the ladies on here know you are being reckless and not protecting yourself. 

I will never tell anyone "I told you so"

My initial response was to ask what you’re talking about and why you quoted me when my post wasn’t aimed at you, but then realized I would be placing a weird expectation on you to know my post history and where I stood/stand on being responsible for more than just yourself. I assure you I’m not “lacking” in my concern nor my actions. Yes I wear a mask. I have several I alternate between. And while I’d rather not get sick because it sounds terrible I’d rather not be the cause of others falling ill due to my negligence.

There is no difference between you and I. 

'The price you pay': Sweden struggles with 'herd immunity' experiment

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 sfgate.com/news/editorspicks/article/Sweden-herd-immunity-experiment-backfires-covid-

"Unlike its Nordic neighbors, Sweden decided early on in the pandemic to forgo lock-down in the hope of achieving broad immunity to the coronavirus"

"Initially, Sweden saw death rates from COVID-19 that were similar to other European nations that had closed down their economies. Sweden’s 7-day rolling average of daily confirmed COVID-19 deaths per million, while declining from highs in late April, is the highest in Europe, according to online publication Our World in Data.  Using the 7-day average as a benchmark, the ratio of Sweden deaths to U.S. deaths is 3 to 2"

"The number of COVID-19 patients in intensive care in Sweden has fallen by a third from the peak in late April and health authorities say the outbreak is slowing. However, Sweden has recorded the highest number of COVID-19 deaths per capita in Europe over the last seven days. "

"However, the herd immunity concept is untested for the novel coronavirus and the extent and duration of immunity among recovered patients is equally uncertain as well"

As we turn the corner on re-openings; Be Responsible, Respectful, Protect our frontline workers/responders, Flattening the curve. Our health care personnel right now need you more than ever as the Novel COVID-19 cases rise and hospitalizations are on the increase. Some states are at 83 - 88% of Max capacity.

Simply Wear a Mask:: practice physical distancing in public places, wash your hands don't touch your face and when someone asks you to wear a Mask please don't spit in their face......' 

4 hours ago, Kaduk said:

'The price you pay': Sweden struggles with 'herd immunity' experiment

Simply Wear a Mask:: practice physical distancing in public places, wash your hands don't touch your face and when someone asks you to wear a Mask please don't spit in their face......' 

Actually I was thinking of a different type of herd immunity, the generational kind.  If you survive, you get to breed the next generation.  Your genes will improve their odds.

I think it’s becoming common courtesy to mask in the presence of strangers.

Edited by Bit Banger

The Gates backed company Moderna's vaccine that was fast tracked by Fauci has been being tested on humans for over a month. That is the vaccine that uses messenger RNA to give new instructions to your cells DNA to supposedly start producing antibodies. The lock downs, masks, and social distancing discussions will end 10 seconds after the vaccine start rolling off the lines. Count on the WHO and CDC to then immediately say that lock downs, masks, and social distancing are totally ineffective and the only hope is mandatory vaccination of "everyone"  on Earth. 

1 hour ago, Admiral C said:

The Gates backed company Moderna's vaccine that was fast tracked by Fauci has been being tested on humans for over a month. That is the vaccine that uses messenger RNA to give new instructions to your cells DNA to supposedly start producing antibodies. The lock downs, masks, and social distancing discussions will end 10 seconds after the vaccine start rolling off the lines. Count on the WHO and CDC to then immediately say that lock downs, masks, and social distancing are totally ineffective and the only hope is mandatory vaccination of "everyone"  on Earth. 

Legit question; what vaccines are mandatory? As in you have no choice and are absolutely required to get them. 

24 minutes ago, JoDoe27 said:

Legit question; what vaccines are mandatory? As in you have no choice and are absolutely required to get them. 

I think some schools require the MMR vaccine before allowing chidren to attend.

1 hour ago, pfunk said:

I think some schools require the MMR vaccine before allowing chidren to attend.

But even then there are exemptions. 

I’m not sure if they were mandatory, but how many have a star pattern on their upper arm?

Vaccines work!  Where are small pox and polio today? Small pox has been eliminated, except for strategic lab cultures.  Polio, thanks to the Gates Foundation, is gone except in Pakistan where fundamentalist blocked their effort.  Rumor has it that Bill & Melinda asked, “With enough money, what devastating disease could we eliminate?”  Then funded their efforts against polio. 

15 hours ago, JoDoe27 said:

My initial response was to ask what you’re talking about and why you quoted me when my post wasn’t aimed at you, but then realized I would be placing a weird expectation on you to know my post history and where I stood/stand on being responsible for more than just yourself. I assure you I’m not “lacking” in my concern nor my actions. Yes I wear a mask. I have several I alternate between. And while I’d rather not get sick because it sounds terrible I’d rather not be the cause of others falling ill due to my negligence.

There is no difference between you and I. 

Peace, and thank you. I really appreciate people like you. I seem to get kind of "guarded" of this subject because I know a lot of people that are in the at risk category.

10 hours ago, sparkey600 said:

Peace, and thank you. I really appreciate people like you. I seem to get kind of "guarded" of this subject because I know a lot of people that are in the at risk category.

I get it. It’s all good. 

12 hours ago, JoDoe27 said:

I get it. It’s all good. 

Thanks, all good here.

On 6/4/2020 at 10:51 PM, sparkey600 said:

OK, I for one am partially comfortable with the lifting of all the rules about the situation going on here..Not freaking out too much... We've had workers in our house doing a kitchen remodel and the like. Went to the dentist for a cleaning and got my hair cut yesterday. My wife and I both take things going on seriously, we both wear masks (sucks) when we are in a store or are out in public, but not outside. We both figure if it might keep someone's family a little bit safer no worries. My question to the board is who agrees and who disagrees?

As I was sure that my first post might turn out to be a "shit show" I will elaborate here... No I wasn't interested in your political values or beliefs or your take on this situation in the least. Not interested you constitutional rights or your religious beliefs or any of the squirrely things you think about... My ORIGINAL QUESTION is who might or might not wear a mask in public? I'll add a caveat  here, why or why not?

Ready.....GO!  

Yes, I will wear a mask in public because I give a shit!

On 6/6/2020 at 8:13 AM, gr8owl said:

Tape delays on live shows.  Gasp.  Say it isn't so!  That is life in the Mountain time zone.  Unfortunately, bending the news to the editor's agenda is a time honored and proven journalistic principle.  But the willful, constant, total misrepresentation of facts started with Rush and has blossomed into the beautiful flower we now see in Fox and Friends and the white house. But tape delays are bad.  Yep, gonna be a long election season.

Bending the news  started LONG before Rush.     Obviously you know nothing about tape delays.They have nothing to do with what time zone you are in . (Only exception being some entertainment shows )

I think almost all "live" shows have a tape delay to allow them to bleep out language that would get them in trouble with the FCC.

The George Carlin 7 Dirty Words You Can Never Say on TV will definitely get any broadcast in trouble.

11 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

The George Carlin 7 Dirty Words You Can Never Say on TV will definitely get any broadcast in trouble.

Frack that! 

8 hours ago, JRWolfe said:

Bending the news  started LONG before Rush.     Obviously you know nothing about tape delays.They have nothing to do with what time zone you are in . (Only exception being some entertainment shows )

In red - Read much? What I said:  "Unfortunately, bending the news to the editor's agenda is a time honored and proven journalistic principle."  So tell me, Mr. Wolf who, before Rush, created a major syndication show dedicated to the sole purpose of promoting inaccurate news and conspiracy theories designed to portray one narrow point of view as the only relevant point of view?  And against one wing (Clinton) of one party (not republican!) and now morphed into against anyone or anything that does not buy into far right ideology.  There is a HUGE difference between bending and totally lying.  Rush was a genius in a way, because everyone from Franken to MSNBC to Hannity/Fox adopted the model. And now it has fully evolved into the total fabrication machine it is today and as perfected by Alex Jones, One America News, etc.  And the orange-verse gobbles it up like gospel.

Time delays (btw tape is a bit dated) have been used forever, both as ILW notes for live shows to avoid embarrassment and also to place show into the desired time slot in various locations.  Surely you have noticed that over the air programs in Mountain Time Zone start at the same "local time" as they do in Central Time Zone - because they are DELAYED an hour in the Mountain zone.  And that INCLUDES national morning and evening news shows!

On 6/29/2020 at 11:14 AM, gr8owl said:

In red - Read much? What I said:  "Unfortunately, bending the news to the editor's agenda is a time honored and proven journalistic principle."  So tell me, Mr. Wolf who, before Rush, created a major syndication show dedicated to the sole purpose of promoting inaccurate news and conspiracy theories designed to portray one narrow point of view as the only relevant point of view?  And against one wing (Clinton) of one party (not republican!) and now morphed into against anyone or anything that does not buy into far right ideology.  There is a HUGE difference between bending and totally lying.  Rush was a genius in a way, because everyone from Franken to MSNBC to Hannity/Fox adopted the model. And now it has fully evolved into the total fabrication machine it is today and as perfected by Alex Jones, One America News, etc.  And the orange-verse gobbles it up like gospel.

Time delays (btw tape is a bit dated) have been used forever, both as ILW notes for live shows to avoid embarrassment and also to place show into the desired time slot in various locations.  Surely you have noticed that over the air programs in Mountain Time Zone start at the same "local time" as they do in Central Time Zone - because they are DELAYED an hour in the Mountain zone.  And that INCLUDES national morning and evening news shows!

Its like talking to a brick wall. You can't even spell my name right.  Radio talk shows have had one minute tape delays for decades.Its their method of making sure that callers use of FCC disapproved language does not get on the air. I'ld name names of radio personalitys prior to Rush,but if you can't think of any,you are easily too young to remember.

Am curious as to what news shows you watch.   C-Span airs their programs simultaneously across the country. How do I know this ? Simply because due to all the travel I did,my friends are scattered all over ,from East Coast to West and it just happens that I've talked to some of them (you have heard of conference calling ) as we watch Congress in inaction .

Yes,ABC,NBC,CBS air their news programs at different times,but those ,excepting breaking live news,are usually pretaped. the Meet The Pres scandal I mentioned previously was a heavily distorted edit of a live interview that aired  on C-Span three days earlier.

FYI..I am not a Democrat and I am not a Republican. Blindly goose stepping to one political party. Just isn't in my nature.Never has been. I see no difference between bending the news and lying.As an INDEPENDENT voter,watching each candidate on public access gives more insight as to how they actually work vs the campaign slogans they make.

3 hours ago, JRWolfe said:

Its like talking to a brick wall. Indeed you are, and a painfully pretentious one at that. You can't even spell my name right. Duly noted Radio talk shows have had one minute tape delays for decades.Its their method of making sure that callers use of FCC disapproved language does not get on the air. I'ld name names of radio personalitys prior to Rush,but if you can't think of any,you are easily too young to remember. I cannot remember any because there were none as totally unconcerned with the truth.  Why is it when you are called on to give examples of an opinion you have stated you always resort to the "well you should already know but you are a dumb ass so I won't tell you" defense?  I will continue to call you on bullshit - name names, enlighten this too young (!!!!!! :lol:) pain in your ass.

Am curious as to what news shows you watch.  I doubt that, but I will play - ABC, FOX, NBC, never the inane CBS, BBC, several others.  Generally speaking BBC seems most reliable. You said watch, but much comes from online news feeds. C-Span airs their programs simultaneously across the country. How do I know this ? Simply because due to all the travel I did,my friends are scattered all over ,from East Coast to West and it just happens that I've talked to some of them (you have heard of conference calling ) as we watch Congress in inaction .You and your coffee klatch may well be their entire audience

Yes,ABC,NBC,CBS air their news programs at different times WITH a one hour delay in the mountain time zone ,but those ,excepting breaking live news,are usually pretaped. the Meet The Pres scandal I mentioned previously was a heavily distorted edit of a live interview that aired  on C-Span three days earlier. One event that you provided no details on or link and again, one incident versus daily occurrence of a business model.  Totally different.  And three days is hardly a tape delay thing - assuming your description is entirely correct it was an intentionally deceptive editing of a source to support an opinion. Meet the press became an opinion piece long ago rather than true news, therefore I quit watching it long ago.

FYI..I am not a Democrat and I am not a Republican. Nor am I by any stretch. What I am is a complete stickler for facts.  As long as you base your opinion on facts we are good even if your opinion still varies from mine.  Complex issues tend to have more than one opinion. Blindly goose stepping to one political party. Just isn't in my nature.Never has been. I see no difference between bending the news and lying. I did not say there was. The difference I speak of is one-off "errors" versus daily and incessant and entirely intentional deception.  There is a huge difference even though you doggedly refuse to acknowledge that fact. And it created the Orange Plague.  How is that working for everyone? As an INDEPENDENT voter,watching each candidate on public access gives more insight as to how they actually work vs the campaign slogans they make.