easytimes81006

A suggestion for the Lady's

12 posts in this topic

I am a retired businessman. Much of my life was spent starting and managing small businesses, with a great deal of emphasis on serving market segments not receiving much attention from others. One business led to another, and the next business usually allowed me to identify new markets that were underserved, thus presenting new opportunities for investment and growth. All of my business interests were quite small, service-related, usually involving only my own time and efforts and minimal investment in equipment or inventory. This worked very well for me, allowing me to retire quite comfortably.

I have noted that a number of providers based in the Denver metro area commit time, either regularly or seasonally, serving other markets such as ski resort towns, Colorado Springs, and others. I have also noted that several Colorado Springs providers commit some time in serving the Denver metro area market. All of this is understandable. Each provider must make the best use of time and resources to maximize profitability, and establishing a market niche outside of the usual area can be lucrative.

I live in Pueblo County, a community of about 140,000 population in which there is very little availability of ASP's (and those that are based here are hit-or-miss propositions at best). I apologize to any that may find offense in these comments, but I will stand by those comments anyway. A quick look at TOB-Pueblo ads should convince the lady seeking to broaden her base of regular clients.

It has occurred to me that an enterprising entrepreneurial provider could very easily carve out a significant slice of business by taking advantage of an underserved market so close at hand. Pueblo is just 40 miles south of Colorado Springs, and only 90 miles south of DTC. Pueblo offers dozens of lodging places easily accessed by I-25 along with most of the amenities of city life, most at lower expense than anything in the Denver metro area or Colorado Springs. A modest investment in time and expense, coupled with a genuine effort toward developing a regular clientele over time with proven commitment to customer satisfaction, might easily reveal a little gold mine for the right person(s).

I would not be surprised to learn that a sharp young lady or two noticed this opportunity and, after a reasonable marketing effort found that a few days per month in Pueblo could offer a significant increase in business activity with minimal investment. As a client base is established it should be quite possible to pre-booked appointments on a recurring basis that would more than justify the time and effort. Personally, I would be happy to receive email messages to let me know when a proven provider will be accepting appointments.

My thoughts, for what they may be worth to others.

1 hour ago, easytimes81006 said:

I am a retired businessman. Much of my life was spent starting and managing small businesses, with a great deal of emphasis on serving market segments not receiving much attention from others. One business led to another, and the next business usually allowed me to identify new markets that were underserved, thus presenting new opportunities for investment and growth. All of my business interests were quite small, service-related, usually involving only my own time and efforts and minimal investment in equipment or inventory. This worked very well for me, allowing me to retire quite comfortably.

I have noted that a number of providers based in the Denver metro area commit time, either regularly or seasonally, serving other markets such as ski resort towns, Colorado Springs, and others. I have also noted that several Colorado Springs providers commit some time in serving the Denver metro area market. All of this is understandable. Each provider must make the best use of time and resources to maximize profitability, and establishing a market niche outside of the usual area can be lucrative.

I live in Pueblo County, a community of about 140,000 population in which there is very little availability of ASP's (and those that are based here are hit-or-miss propositions at best). I apologize to any that may find offense in these comments, but I will stand by those comments anyway. A quick look at TOB-Pueblo ads should convince the lady seeking to broaden her base of regular clients.

It has occurred to me that an enterprising entrepreneurial provider could very easily carve out a significant slice of business by taking advantage of an underserved market so close at hand. Pueblo is just 40 miles south of Colorado Springs, and only 90 miles south of DTC. Pueblo offers dozens of lodging places easily accessed by I-25 along with most of the amenities of city life, most at lower expense than anything in the Denver metro area or Colorado Springs. A modest investment in time and expense, coupled with a genuine effort toward developing a regular clientele over time with proven commitment to customer satisfaction, might easily reveal a little gold mine for the right person(s).

I would not be surprised to learn that a sharp young lady or two noticed this opportunity and, after a reasonable marketing effort found that a few days per month in Pueblo could offer a significant increase in business activity with minimal investment. As a client base is established it should be quite possible to pre-booked appointments on a recurring basis that would more than justify the time and effort. Personally, I would be happy to receive email messages to let me know when a proven provider will be accepting appointments.

My thoughts, for what they may be worth to others.

Okay than. Do you have a version of this for dummies. Ya lost me after "I am a retired businessman".:huh:

Sounds like a good business opportunity to me, though the ladies sometimes have different points of view.

39 minutes ago, tide32 said:

Okay than. Do you have a version of this for dummies. Ya lost me after "I am a retired businessman".:huh:

This.

But did see in quick scan the "COS is 40 miles away". So, can always make the drive to COS. Heck, done that kind of drive from NoCo to DTC on numerous occasions for fun. Idaho Springs once as well.

Pueblo hasnt been profitible for ladies i know..... lower expenses and cost of living means people expect lower rates and dont take into consideration the expenses of getting there.

Edited by MeganMarie4u

Make the drive, promise you it’s worth it. Providers stick to regions that match their census data. We are business women after all (in the most fun biz of all). 

Yes populating Pueblo would be ideal-but as Megan stated, It’s not currently a profitable option to most providers. I’m sure you understand how that affects business decisions. 

Happy New Years! 

16 hours ago, MeganMarie4u said:

Pueblo hasnt been profitible for ladies i know..... lower expenses and cost of living means people expect lower rates and dont take into consideration the expenses of getting there.

Minor correction here.  Contrary to the pure bs put out by the Pueblo Chamber (OP retired business owner .... hmmmm) the cost of living and expenses in Pueblo is NOT lower than the other ten largest counties.  Yes, housing is lower if one wants to live in the run down crime challenged portions of town.  Gas, food, utilities, etc. are much higher in Pueblo than Springs, Denver, etc. as are auto insurance, etc  What is lower is INCOME - Pueblo County ranks a dismal 49 out of 64 counties in per capita income.  Paying horrific wages there is frequently justified by employers by citing the "low cost of living" which is pure bullshit.

As to OP, there are several ladies who do pass through the area from time to time, a few great local options (a little hard to find perhaps, but contrary to OP statement there are some) and many in Springs that are willing to travel to Pueblo if you are not too cheap to pay travel fee.  And as noted it is only a 40 minute drive to Springs which is closer than I am to either.  So I do not buy the underserved thing.  At 165,000 population vs 650,000 El Paso (Springs) and almost 3,000,000 Denver metro, it is hardly a hot bed of opportunity especially combined with average income.  Apologies ..... rant over.

Geez...all the guy wanted was some p*@@y in Pueblo 😕

Good luck in your search!

The replies to the OP are very good.

Yes, as the OP states and was successful at, it is good business practice to create a product or business to capture a niche of a big market.   

But that is different from what he is proposing.   In Econ 101, one of the first examples shown is selling ice cream on a crowded beach.   If there is already a stand in the middle of the beach, it's best to open your stand in the middle also, vs. trying to sell to only a about a quarter or third of the customers by locating halfway between center and an end. It's why there's always gas stations clustered at intersections.

There's not much upside to trying to be successful in a small(er) and low margin market.

Sorry, bad analogy regarding our wonderful providers and the great service they give.    

Providers will go where the money is. If there isn't a large selection of quality providers in your area, that's because it's not financially beneficial for them to be there, not because we haven't realized that's where the money is.

2 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Providers will go where the money is. If there isn't a large selection of quality providers in your area, that's because it's not financially beneficial for them to be there, not because we haven't realized that's where the money is.

And Boink thought the ladies were here because of his fishing rod. :unsure: Sorry Boink.:(

8 minutes ago, tide32 said:

And Boink thought the ladies were here because of his fishing rod. :unsure: Sorry Boink.:(

There might be some ladies in Pueblo that want to get a mouth on his line. 🤔😋