Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crazyb

Credit limits

17 posts in this topic

I am sure this topic has been covered before but I am just in awe of how the banks are so willing to extend credit.   

This started to peak my interest as I am trying to help a younger guy that works for me try to get his credit built up so he can buy a house next year.  I am on a kick to lice debt free (including a house payment).  I have been working to pay off all my credit cards and dont have a car payment.  Each month when I pay my bills I notice at least one credit card company is raising the limit on the card that I hold with them.  The other night I got a letter in the mail from one of these company's that I honestly forgot I even had a card with because its been so long since I used it,  the limit was raised to more than the cost of my first house, ( now my first house was pretty modest foreclosure that I bought in the late 80's ) .

Here is my question, what would any of you do if you could charge up all your credit cards and personal loans ?   Would you move to a country and become a beach bum? Would you move to Sweden and be a ski instructor?   A captain of a fishing charter boat in Mexico?  

My vote is to be a beach bum in Belize

Well I have low limits on my cards, but if I had high limits and it was free money I never had to pay back, I'd be a cross between a beach bum and charter carrier in the Bahamas and Caribbean. I buy a big ass yaht and offer to take couples to private islands. Ahhhh the dream.

Back to reality....

2 hours ago, crazyb said:

Here is my question, what would any of you do if you could charge up all your credit cards and personal loans ?   Would you move to a country and become a beach bum? Would you move to Sweden and be a ski instructor?   A captain of a fishing charter boat in Mexico?  

You'd need some serious skills to successfully run a charter boat or be a ski instructor in Switzerland.  Beach bum requires almost no skill.  I know, because I've been one for 16 years.

I think credit cards are the definition of stupid unless you pay them off monthly.  Stoopid.  Additionally, by paying cash, I'm generally able to negotiate a better deal on almost everything.  Between the three cards I do carry, how far am I going to go on $80K?

Credit arbitrage, on the other hand, is one reason I'm blessed to be a beach bum.  If I can make more money with the money I borrow than the interest costs me, I'm generally in.   

Edited by Happymon

I would play all of these courses and stay at the finest hotels nearby.  Probably, sample the local talent...since, the sky's the limit! B)

The actual five year plan (with savings, the heck with credit cards, they are tools of Satan) is to move to Maui, buy a biplane (I am already a pilot), give air tours of the island(s), and screw the occasional affluent divorcee or widow.  I'll keep you posted, will give a TOB discount.

Now that I think about it, they don't have to be affluent, just occasional.

Just go some place nice and warm with no bugs or anything that might might me. Awe...enjoying the good life! Maybe Costa Rica? Now how will I transport all my glassware? LOL!!!

Simplicity for me. A cabin in the Northwest on a lake and a residence in the southwest. Both places must have views of nature, a large deck to enjoy early morning coffee or just to relax with large bar-b-que pits. Just enough to allow me to entertain guests. They also need to have just enough land to allow me to garden or just putz around but not too large to require lots of maintenance. Need to be close enough to some city to allow fairly easy access and opportunity to enjoy whatever the city offers to my liking. I can smell my morning coffee sitting on the deck overlooking the lake and watching the day wake up around me. sigh..

9 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Just go some place nice and warm with no bugs or anything....

As mommy said to little Joey who announced, "When I grow up, I want to be a musician."  Mommy replied, "Joey, you can have one or the other." 

Warm places = bugs.  Lots of them.  Warm, tropical places= bugs on steroids. 

Well, if I had unlimited credit and loans I would build me a Therapuetical Spa "Resort" here in Colorado that helps people with all issues from cancer, fibromyalgia, diabeties, injuries, etc. My dream is that through sports medicine that people can get better as our bodies are awesome self fixing machines. I would also open up a coffee barista with gourmet food to match. I would also build a castle, and dress in fancy, gorgeous dresses as I love to cosplay. Oh, and then travel the world! Yeah, my mind goes to great places sometimes. LOL! 

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

5 hours ago, Happymon said:

As mommy said to little Joey who announced, "When I grow up, I want to be a musician."  Mommy replied, "Joey, you can have one or the other." 

Warm places = bugs.  Lots of them.  Warm, tropical places= bugs on steroids. 

True true!!! have to have a fashionable bee suit to wear! ;) 

3 hours ago, SultryKitten said:

Well, if I had unlimited credit and loans I would build me a Therapuetical Spa "Resort" here in Colorado that helps people with all issues from cancer, fibromyalgia, diabeties, injuries, etc. My dream is that through sports medicine that people can get better as our bodies are awesome self fixing machines. I would also open up a coffee barista with gourmet food to match. I would also build a castle, and dress in fancy, gorgeous dresses as I love to cosplay. Oh, and then travel the world! Yeah, my mind goes to great places sometimes. LOL! 

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Most practical and rewarding! ;) 

I would work with you at your Spa if you would have me Samantha.:)

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 2:49 PM, BigBaldBlk said:

I would play all of these courses and stay at the finest hotels nearby.  Probably, sample the local talent...since, the sky's the limit! B)

I don't golf, but it's amazing how many of my friends who do have pursued this.  In fact, one of them just completed a tour of UK courses (with 7 buddies, all in their 60's-70's) and said that a bunch of the guys crapped out on one of the really big name courses because it was day six, they were beat and the wind was blowing and there was mist in the air. He just sadly shook his head.    

On September 8, 2016 at 9:41 AM, crazyb said:

I am sure this topic has been covered before but I am just in awe of how the banks are so willing to extend credit.   

This started to peak my interest as I am trying to help a younger guy that works for me try to get his credit built up so he can buy a house next year.  I am on a kick to lice debt free (including a house payment).  I have been working to pay off all my credit cards and dont have a car payment.  Each month when I pay my bills I notice at least one credit card company is raising the limit on the card that I hold with them.  The other night I got a letter in the mail from one of these company's that I honestly forgot I even had a card with because its been so long since I used it,  the limit was raised to more than the cost of my first house, ( now my first house was pretty modest foreclosure that I bought in the late 80's ) .

I like your style B. But instead of Belize I say Maldives!:) 

12 hours ago, Just Jos said:

I like your style B. But instead of Belize I say Maldives!:) 

I have never been there,  but if your willing I am game:P

I just am ready for vacation

Clothes are overrated so... Beach Bum in Costa Rica, Belize, or the DR for sure!! No questions asked!!